• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

What if Sora joined Riku...

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

ok sunny

Awards
This is just a little question I'd like to figure out. I know there is no real answer right now, but what if Sora joined Riku when he entered the darkness? Would he still get the Keyblade? Do you think Sora and Riku would be much different right now if they both left together instead?

I just want to hear any opinions on this matter because I think it'd be fun to think about. I'm sure plenty of you have, but here's a thread if you'd like say anything.

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
He would've ended up in Hollow Bastion first, and not be high enough level to fight those WYVERNS AAAAAAAA I HATE THEM

VenTer

Awards
This is just a little question I'd like to figure out. I know there is no real answer right now, but what if Sora joined Riku when he entered the darkness? Would he still get the Keyblade? Do you think Sora and Riku would be much different right now if they both left together instead?

I just want to hear any opinions on this matter because I think it'd be fun to think about. I'm sure plenty of you have, but here's a thread if you'd like say anything.

He would've ended up in Hollow Bastion first, and not be high enough level to fight those WYVERNS AAAAAAAA I HATE THEM
Yes, the both of them might have ended up in Hollow Bastion together. Though I can't remember that scene in KH1 if Maleficient was the one who took Riku in the villains group. If Sora was there, then I bet Sora would stop him from joining the Disney villains. But if Maleficient would do a wager that she has Kairi's body and she couldn't be woken up, they may have suddenly be have to work for Maleficient but both Sora and Riku in secret are gonna have to find a way to rescue her. Haven't thought about how does Sora and Riku will get keyblades yet..... still thiking.......

Launchpad

Awards
Yes, the both of them might have ended up in Hollow Bastion together. Though I can't remember that scene in KH1 if Maleficient was the one who took Riku in the villains group. If Sora was there, then I bet Sora would stop him from joining the Disney villains. But if Maleficient would do a wager that she has Kairi's body and she couldn't be woken up, they may have suddenly be have to work for Maleficient but both Sora and Riku in secret are gonna have to find a way to rescue her. Haven't thought about how does Sora and Riku will get keyblades yet..... still thiking.......

Riku didn't get his keyblade because he sank into darkness. Sora didn't, so he inherited the Kingdom Key. In this hypothetical situation, they both get Soul Eater swords, I'm guessing. And no Donald and Goofy. :( This seems like a worst case scenario.

blksabbath74

That's a very interesting question.

From what I understand, Riku was supposed to have been the Keyblade Wielder, and the Kingdom Key chose Sora by default of Ventus's presence inside his heart since Riku had fallen to Darkness.

If Sora willingly went with Riku into the darkness, and presumably shared a similar fate, and with Kairi out of the picture, I'm not sure what would have happened.

This basically spawns the further question, if Sora had become corrupted as Riku did, who would the Kingdom Key have appeared to?

VenTer

Awards
Riku didn't get his keyblade because he sank into darkness. Sora didn't, so he inherited the Kingdom Key. In this hypothetical situation, they both get Soul Eater swords, I'm guessing. And no Donald and Goofy. :( This seems like a worst case scenario.
Yeah, Sora met Donald and Goofy in Traverse Town. Donald and Goofy wouldn't have met Sora as the keybearer. When Destiny Islands was destroyed, he ended up in Traverse Town because Traverse is the place where you lost the world you came from right?

ok sunny

Awards
There are a lot of possibilities for their outcome, but here's my theory...

I think he'd end up in Hollow Bastion, of course, but he wouldn't know what the hell he'd be doing. I believe he'd say something to persuade Riku not to do anything rash, but he wouldn't know if Maleficent were to be good or bad. Remember, this takes place before his knowledge of the Keyblade, Heartless, or anything out of Destiny Islands. I'd have a feeling he'd join Riku just to tag along and figure out what's happening.

As for the keyblade, I doubt he'd get it right away. It all depends if he would succumb to the darkness, which he probably wouldn't. His heart is too strong for that. Though, it would most likely summon when he most needs it. But if he did join the darkness, I would imagine he'd get a weapon of his own, probably similar to the Soul Eater.

VenTer

Awards
That's a very interesting question.

From what I understand, Riku was supposed to have been the Keyblade Wielder, and the Kingdom Key chose Sora by default of Ventus's presence inside his heart since Riku had fallen to Darkness.

If Sora willingly went with Riku into the darkness, and presumably shared a similar fate, and with Kairi out of the picture, I'm not sure what would have happened.

This basically spawns the further question, if Sora had become corrupted as Riku did, who would the Kingdom Key have appeared to?
It depends on how strong there hearts are whether darkness or light. That's what I think......

Solo

Silver Member
Awards

This was a widely held belief, but unfortunately it's incorrect. Sora was bequeathed the Keyblade because he himself was recognised by the Keyblade, and it has nothing to do with Ventus' presence inside him. I forget which interview or part of the Ultimania confirmed this, but I know that's the case.

However, it's true that Riku was supposed to be the intended wielder of the Kingdom Key. It was thanks to his heart becoming weak from the darkness that it went to Sora instead.

Last edited:

Launchpad

Awards
Yeah, Sora met Donald and Goofy in Traverse Town. Donald and Goofy wouldn't have met Sora as the keybearer. When Destiny Islands was destroyed, he ended up in Traverse Town because Traverse is the place where you lost the world you came from right?

Traverse Town is super mysterious. I hope it comes back, but I'd rather not have it's nature explained.. it'd ruin the magic.

Nayru's Love

Why don't you play in Hell?
Awards
Spoiler Spoiler Show

I like to think that Sora wanted to join Riku, but was drowned in Riku's darkness. That's looking at the scene from a more literal perspective. Looking beyond that, you could say that Sora wanted to stay with Riku, but Riku had his own path that Sora could never hope to follow himself. However, within the deepest darkness is a light: The Kingdom Key. The KK was the light beneath all of Riku's darkness that saved Sora. In a way, the KK was a part of Riku that stayed with Sora and has been his greatest strength ever since.

Traverse Town is super mysterious. I hope it comes back, but I'd rather not have it's nature explained.. it'd ruin the magic.

Good for you that Nomura couldn't avoid giving a vague answer even if he tried, eh?

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
The KK was the light beneath all of Riku's darkness that saved Sora. In a way, the KK was a part of Riku that stayed with Sora and has been his greatest strength ever since.

I love the idea that some part of Riku wanted to protect Sora even when he was turning to the dark.

As far as the question, I'm not sure. I guess I'm a little confused about Maleficent's motives in regard to Riku, I guess, and whether she still would've had them if Sora hadn't received the Keyblade then. Does Maleficent already know Riku has the potential to be a Keyblade Bearer when he appears in HB (and how would she know that...), or was she just hoping to manipulate him because of his connection to Sora and Kairi?

Thinking about this, it almost makes me wonder if Maleficent and the other villains already knew about a princess of heart (Kairi) being on Destiny Islands, but maybe didn't want to deal with a Keyblade wielder (if Maleficent can sense that in a person before they've become one--maybe because of meeting Keyblade wielders in BbS)?

Ventus_

Awards
Interesting point to look at the reverse of a major turning point in the plot which I have wondered about. Recall when Sora and Riku reunite in Traverse Town and Sora invites him to join him but Donald firming refuses to take him. What if he hadn't. What if Riku had been welcomed onto the gummi and joined Sora?

I'm not sure. I guess I'm a little confused about Maleficent's motives in regard to Riku,

He brought Kairi to Hallow Bastian for her thinking he was helping to retrieve her heart.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

But it was not temporary and when Riku takes control of the keyblade from Sora in Hallow Bastian Sora is able to summon it back. Ansem explains that this is because Sora has the stronger heart, in fact I believe that this description also shows that. Riku wasn't even trying to fight against that darkness which was consuming them from the island but rather trying to take Sora with him while Sora was trying to save him. This is what proved Sora to have the purest heart the way I see it.

The KK was the light beneath all of Riku's darkness that saved Sora. In a way, the KK was a part of Riku that stayed with Sora and has been his greatest strength ever since.

I do however like the idea suggested here, that the Keyblade is a part of Riku that Sora was able to yank away from that darkness or that the piece if embedded into the keyblade. It would connect with how Sora summoned it back from him in Hallow Bastian by proclaiming that all he needed was his friends.

LightUpTheSky452

Haddyn Slayer
Awards
Website
oveliagirlhaditright.tumblr.com
...Wouldn't this somewhat ruin some of Master Xehanort's plans? Seeing as how DDD says he brought Kairi to the Island to lure Sora there the night it fell for whatever reason? Anyway, what was his purpose for that again? Timey-wimey stuff gives me a headache, man.

And personally, if Sora went with Riku at first, I'd like to believe that something would drive them apart eventually (though they'd become friends again by the end of it). IDK. I just liked the unintentional metaphor about how the sea can divide the sky and land (as seen in KHI), or bring them together, as seen in KHII. So in any KH lore, I'd want to see both versions of that transpire, as it's very meaningful in a way.

Also, I imagine that Sora would feel very guilty when he learned what state Kairi was in. After all, his initial thought that night was to worry about her: "Where's Kairi? I thought she was with you?!" So he'd probs blame himself for not going to save her (especially since she's the "person most special to him", and I don't mean that in a shippy way; I'm just saying what canon's stated). And what would have happened to her heart without Sora, I wonder?

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
...Wouldn't this somewhat ruin some of Master Xehanort's plans? Seeing as how DDD says he brought Kairi to the Island to lure Sora there the night it fell for whatever reason? Anyway, what was his purpose for that again? Timey-wimey stuff gives me a headache, man.

Hm. Xehanort sent Kairi into the sea of worlds specifically so she'd lead him to the Keyblade. I don't know if he meant to LURE Sora there that night, but he definitely knew that the three of them would have all been there then because of their bonds with each other and because of their own powers/personalities. Ansem waited until the world was plunged into darkness, and knew that Riku and Sora would also be able to make the trip at some point, because their connection to Kairi meant that they were there when it fell.

(though technically, they were both there when it fell anyway, just not on that islet. I don't know, it's all a bit much)

And personally, if Sora went with Riku at first, I'd like to believe that something would drive them apart eventually

Agreed, that rivalry had gotten too strong not to have a breaking point. I think it's kind of their destiny to get separated, regardless.

Nayru's Love

Why don't you play in Hell?
Awards
But it was not temporary and when Riku takes control of the keyblade from Sora in Hallow Bastian Sora is able to summon it back. Ansem explains that this is because Sora has the stronger heart, in fact I believe that this description also shows that.
It was still a temporary ownership for Sora, though, in the sense that Sora was essentially borrowing the KK for the first half of KH1.

Riku wasn't even trying to fight against that darkness which was consuming them from the island but rather trying to take Sora with him while Sora was trying to save him. This is what proved Sora to have the purest heart the way I see it.
I don't think it was that Sora was trying to save him, but that Sora didn't want to lose Riku. Riku knew that leaving home was a matter of stepping into the darkness of the unknown, and so he accepted his invitation to darkness; him extending his arm out to Sora would have been him giving Sora the same invitation. I think they both wanted the same thing: To travel the worlds together. However, so long as Riku accepted his invitation and Sora did not, their destinies would remain separate.

Ventus_

Awards
I don't think it was that Sora was trying to save him, but that Sora didn't want to lose Riku. Riku knew that leaving home was a matter of stepping into the darkness of the unknown, and so he accepted his invitation to darkness; him extending his arm out to Sora would have been him giving Sora the same invitation. I think they both wanted the same thing: To travel the worlds together. However, so long as Riku accepted his invitation and Sora did not, their destinies would remain separate.

That's basically what I was saying just in a different view which also makes sense.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
He brought Kairi to Hallow Bastian for her thinking he was helping to retrieve her heart.

I mean, when he first arrived at Hollow Bastion. How would she know Kairi was a princess of heart without meeting her, and how would she know Riku's relationship to her even if she did know Kairi was a PoH?

LightUpTheSky452

Haddyn Slayer
Awards
Website
oveliagirlhaditright.tumblr.com
So, you know what I always wondered? (And sorry if this is getting a bit off topic, and if it's already been addressed in the thread!) How did Maleficent not realize they were missing a Princess? I mean, there were supposed to be seven and she knew that. Couldn't she have counted and realized they were missing one? XD

And then she says, "Impossible! All the Princesses of Heart are here. It must be her..." How could she know either of those things? Did the Keyblade of People's Hearts somehow show her that, or her powers or something? Did they even have the KoPH at this point? If I remember correctly, it wasn't seen (or at least explained) until right before Sora fights Dragon Maleficent.

And then Riku-Xehanort doesn't object to Maleficent's claim about it being Kairi, and even seems to smile a bit. So did he know this already? If so, why didn't he mention it to Maleficent or act to get her sooner? And how could they (Maleficent, at least) even be sure Kairi was a PoH, when she was without her heart, and they couldn't test it for Light? IDK. This whole thing has always confused me...

@Tinny I miss Sora and Riku's rivalry in the current timeline. I mean, I'm glad they're not enemies or passively aggressive with each other anymore, but I miss seeing that dynamic. I mean, they are still rivals, right? I want to see them challenge each other again in good fun, or to get into stupid fights that don't mean anything. They're almost... too perfect now? IDK.

And I don't even think Sora and Riku would always agree on things (like when Ansem the Wise is about to sacrifice himself, which Riku agrees with, but Sora and Kairi try to stop it), so I really hope in KHIII--or perhaps the next Saga--that we see them getting into small disagreements again, but managing to work it out in the end. It makes it more interesting and realistic that way, imo.

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
So, you know what I always wondered? (And sorry if this is getting a bit off topic, and if it's already been addressed in the thread!) How did Maleficent not realize they were missing a Princess? I mean, there were supposed to be seven and she knew that. Couldn't she have counted and realized they were missing one? XD
As she saw it, she knew she had all seven. She was probably hoping that physically having them all there would do the same thing as if she had all their hearts. She knew Kairi was the seventh princess.

And then she says, "Impossible! All the Princesses of Heart are here. It must be her..." How could she know either of those things? Did the Keyblade of People's Hearts somehow show her that, or her powers or something? Did they even have the KoPH at this point? If I remember correctly, it wasn't seen (or at least explained) until right before Sora fights Dragon Maleficent.
No, Riku had it. He held it out in front of him to unseal the keyhole. When it didn't work, THAT's when Maleficent realized the Keyhole was incomplete.

And then Riku-Xehanort doesn't object to Maleficent's claim about it being Kairi, and even seems to smile a bit. So did he know this already? If so, why didn't he mention it to Maleficent or act to get her sooner? And how could they (Maleficent, at least) even be sure Kairi was a PoH, when she was without her heart, and they couldn't test it for Light? IDK. This whole thing has always confused me...
Xehanort knew Kairi was a princess, even before Nomura had conceived a "Xehanort" the original Ansem reports confirm that Ansem knew she was a Princess, and that he sent her into the stars hoping she'd lead him to a Keyblade Wielder. It's not like Maleficent wasn't looking for her. As soon as she fond Kairi she sent Riku and Hook to get her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back