• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

What If The "Kingdom Hearts" Series Was A Rock Opera?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Theart

Hyped Ruler of Honnouji Academy
Awards
One of the common discussions that used to pop up all the time among the fanbase back in the day was whether or not Disney and S-E should ever consider making a film adaptation or animated series based on the games. The latter option was usually agreed to be the most realistic option, however lately I've started wondering about another option that I'd love to see everyone else's thoughts on: a musical adaption of KH on one or more rock operas.

A "rock opera", also commonly referred as a "concept album", is a full-length album where all of the songs featured on the album tell a story from beginning to end. Classic examples include Pink Floyd's The Wall, Queensryche's Operation: Mindcrime, The Who's Tommy, Genesis' The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway and Savatage's Streets: A Rock Opera. While I'm not entirely familiar with their albums, I've heard Trans-Serbian Orchestra has also done a concept album or two.

One of the most loved elements about the KH series is the music of Yoko Shimomura (along with contributions from other composers). For a series that's so tightly related to the worlds of Disney, I think it's safe to say that most people would be surprised by how a great deal of the games' music is original. Sure, there's certain exceptions to the rule, but overall most of its whipped up by Ms. Shimomura herself.

Obviously I doubt there's a band out there right now that's actually interested in making such an album and I doubt Disney or S-E would allow them to make it, but if Disney or S-E were to arrange a band themselves (perhaps something similar to either Trans-Serbian Orchestra or Kamelot), I could see them adapting the entire Dark Seekers Arc into a series of rock operas: Kingdom Hearts, CoM-Days, Kingdom Hearts II, Birth by Sleep, Coded-DDD and Kingdom Hearts III.

Would that by any chance interest folks here? Food for thought. ^_^

The_Echo

Anti-SENA Operative
Awards
I've always thought The Rasmus had a sound and theme about them that could apply to Kingdom Hearts. (Maybe that's just because I found the band through a KH AMV..)

If any band were to make a KH rock opera, I think it'd be The Rasmus or Poets of the Fall.

Also I think they'd need to do an album for each game. Unless we wanted the most condensed rock opera to ever exist.

Mirby

Too many games too little time
Awards
Website
twitch.tv
This

would be GLORIOUS

seriously if done right it would, well...

it would rock

Theart

Hyped Ruler of Honnouji Academy
Awards
This

would be GLORIOUS

seriously if done right it would, well...

it would rock

Indeed. I'm a pretty big fan of Kamelot, and songs like "Memento Mori" remind me a bit of the KH OST in terms of sheer epicness. Seriously a song like that as a "final battle" would be terrific, and a song like March of Mephisto would be terrific for a villain such as the various forms of Xehanort or Marluxia.

[video=youtube;AV_94f3CsPQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV_94f3CsPQ[/video]
[video=youtube;Kymf6m4sVWM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kymf6m4sVWM[/video]

Part of the trick, I think, would be to seamless incorporate Shimomura's themes and signature KH pieces into such songs. Maybe a couple of them be on their own and done in a symphonic rock/metal manner.

Mirby

Too many games too little time
Awards
Website
twitch.tv
you could always ask around on sites like OCR

you'll probably be able to find other like-minded folks who actually have the talent to pull it off properly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back