• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Help/Support ► What is this mechanical stuff on my teeth?!?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

αsiя

space coke
So today I got my braces and it's really weird
It's been a couple of hours and now they are hurting
I cant eat because my mouth hurts

This is normal right
I wanna know some braces experiences so I can be prepare

Snow

Stain me Red with Blood
Ehh... It really varies from person to person.

For me, each time the braces are tightened, it hurt like crazy after a few hours and it lasts about a day or two before it subsides. I suggest eating soft food, anything hard will make you unable to really take it unless you're awesome.

αsiя

space coke
Ehh... It really varies from person to person.

For me, each time the braces are tightened, it hurt like crazy after a few hours and it lasts about a day or two before it subsides. I suggest eating soft food, anything hard will make you unable to really take it unless you're awesome.

Shit im not awesome

Aria

braver by the minute
When I first got my braces I could eat things that were pretty soft, but I know friends who haven't been able to eat anything but liquids for the whole day or more. So just try eating something soft like a banana or smoothie/shake. Getting in new wires are really uncomfortable, but it's not too bad. Braces are just something you get used to after a while.

Aria

braver by the minute
By hard I mean basically anything that's hard to chew and/or bite. Apples are a big no-no.

Professor Ven

The Tin Man
Awards
Tip: You will get your wires changed every so often. Be prepared for mind-numbing pain BEYOND YOUR MENTAL THOUGHTS!

Nah, just kidding. I've had mine for I think a year and a half, and they've been fine, sometimes. Just make sure the ends of the wire(s) aren't poking into your cheek, the back of your mouth, that sort of thing. Eat soft things, and take it a little slow on the days you get your wires changed, and drink plenty of liquids..like ORANGE JUICE!

Braces isn't much of a big deal as it is with being super annoying sometimes. You just have to go with it, and follow the flow. Just be sure to brush and use mouthwash. Flossing is the seventh blue sedan that was collapsed into the lower netherworld.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
There are times when they don't hurt at all, and times when you'll feel the pain for up to a few days. It's perfectly normal.

I had my braces for 3 years (because I was incredibly stubborn and refused to get that one tooth pulled out), but my experiences were just like everyone elses. Anyway, here's a list of advice:

-Stick to soft foods until the pain subsides. Put everything through a blender if it gets too intense (oatmeal and porridge also helps). Once you begin to adjust, you can gradually go back to what you've usually been eating, but you must avoid hard/chewy foods, as well as things that contain a lot of sugars.

-Just be careful about what you put into your mouth. If one of the brackets break off, make an appointment with your orthodontist and they'll stick it right back on. However, if your ortho is like mine, they will charge you a lot of money after the first times the bracket breaks off (well, I eavesdropped when I was in the office, so yeah)

-Chapstick! Try to keep your lips from drying up. You don't want the loose skin to catch onto the brackets. And clean inbetween the brackets as well.

-There are also cases with poking wires. I think every ortho should give a "starter kit" with basic teeth care stuff and thigns that you can use to fix problems at home. For example, with mine, there were two small cases with edible wax that you can just break into pieces and stick onto the wires.

-Flossing will become an incredible pain in the neck when you have braces (some people think the wires will prevent them from having to bother with flossing but they're wrong). The starter kits normally contain a packet of flimsy plastic "needles" that you can thread the floss through to floss (I say needle because it resembles the sewing needles).

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Killing is easy once you forget the taste of sugar
Braces will hurt like hell with every tightening. It will feel like you're teething all over again, you'll have a sadistic urge to bite or chew on something, but the pain will not allow you to nibble on even the softest taffy.

It's like that for a few days, and then the pain stops. Later, you get a new adjustment and it starts all over again. Such is the cycle of braces until you get them off. The pain is from the teeth actually breaking down bone tissue as it moves to its new position...and then new bone forming behind where it once was.

Sapphire Skies

Sucked Back In
Soreness is completely normal :3 Although, the pain varies from person to person. Like my teeth hurt for FOREVER, and when I mean forever, I mean about a week. While my sister adapted to hers in about 4 days. Soft foods like apple sauce, macaroni and cheese, chicken soup etc. are probably all the things you'll be able to eat for a while. Avoid fruits, salads, meats anything that you can bit into, pain will ensue if you do. Tylenol usually helps with the pain, releases the tense pain in your head along with the pain in your mouth. When you go to get to them tightened, chances are for the first few times they'll be sore for a day or two. After having braces on for awhile, you'll get used to tightenings and it'll get to the point where you won't notice any changes or be sore for a few hours.

Marloosha

I've had braces for a year and a couple months, so I've gotten pretty used to them now. :p Some tips:
-For the first couple days, do NOT try to eat anything hard. Candy,meat,hard fruit and veggies, etc. will just add to the soreness you already have. (I made the mistake of eating pizza the second day, my teeth hurt like hell. o.o;) Instead, eat/drink soft things like oatmeal, yogurt, and soup.

-Hopefully your ortho gave you a starter kit. If the pain is really that bad, put those wax strips on your wires, but remember to take them out before you eat.

-My ortho told me a pretty good tip too for the pain you feel for the first few days. Fill a glass with warm, saltwater. Rinse your mouth out with that and spit it out. It gives your teeth a nice, warm feeling and helps with the soreness.

Unfortunately, you get them tightened or will get new wires soon, which will hurt. After a while, you get used to them like me. I don't even notice them that much anymore unless I'm eating or brushing. xD

I also gave up on flossing.(I just use the little brush) It just took so much time and I didn't have the patience to do it all. Thankfully, nothing bad has happened to my braces, except for about 2 or 3 broken brackets, but I didn't get charged for them. 8D

αsiя

space coke
Well all I've been eaten is yogurts and I had one soup (liquids too)
I still have the pain so I hope by tomorrow or Monday the pain will go away

Sawah

unofficial HOTH
Awards
suck it up you big baby

jk

braces really suck though. for the first few days, advil is your best friend. eating ice cream helps SO much.

me personally, i was only sore, like, the next day. after that it was just annoying; not pain.

Rix

:)
Awards
Yup. I remeber exactly what you described here from when I had braces. And it hurts when the braces are tightened too. A good idea is to eat soup,porridge or anything soft when it hurts.Other than that, you just have to get used to the pain. But it's really worth it when the braces are taken off and you have "perfect" teeth :)

Zeagal

Lick It Good
Take drugs! Seriously, especially when you first get them on. My orthodontist recommended taking some ibuprofen the first day. Like others have said it gets a lot better. I remember there being a couple of times after getting them tightened where I was so used to it, I didn't feel anything that would affect eating.

Do you have to wear headgear at night, because that can be a bitch too?

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Killing is easy once you forget the taste of sugar
I also gave up on flossing.(I just use the little brush) It just took so much time and I didn't have the patience to do it all. Thankfully, nothing bad has happened to my braces, except for about 2 or 3 broken brackets, but I didn't get charged for them. 8D

^ This.

Sorry to say Mr. Orthy, but you're fucking insane if you think I'm going to "sew" through my braces with a plastic threader for 30 minutes each day to floss.

Not much happened, thankfully. Just keep using mouth wash.

Zeagal

Lick It Good
no headgear

That's good. It gets a lot more difficult with that.
Oh another thing to look forward to...rubber bands. Most people have them at some point. They hook onto the brackets and sometimes it can be tiring opening your mouth because you have to fight against them every time. They aren't that bad, but it's annoying to have to change them all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back