• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

General ► What is your country and what are the pros and cons of living there

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

AegisXIII

Awards
I don't know if we have such a topic but it would be nice to get to know about eachother's countries.
Let me start:
I live in Switzerland, land of the cheese and chocolate.
Pros:
- The landscapes are breathtaking
- The political system that is neither left nor right but both (no winner but consensus) and allow citizen to vote their own laws multiple times a year (referendum).
- High salaries...
Cons:
- ...but life is goddamn expensive

Your turn. :)

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
I agree with the points you raise, but I'd add:

Pros:
- Good social infrastructure and healthcare
- Mostly reliable public transportation
- Multiple parties to represent different points of views across the whole political spectrum
- Great Hiking paths with amazing views
Cons:
- Somewhat exclusive, despite being half swiss and growing up here, I've often been viewed as The American
- Somewhat slow to change, we've been discussing introducing same sex marriage for ever and have yet to do so.

Awards
I could write you a novel about the US especially after the last few years. There is no way I could keep it as short as you have. Haha. Sounds lovely, though. I do often think of moving to Luxembourg.

Coffee Lover

Bronze Member
Awards
I live in the U.S.

I love and do not take for granted our rights and freedom. I love the food here. I love Obama care.

I hate the fact that we do not have universal health care. I hate the education system. I hate how local government can get away with so much: our roads need to be paved but the supervisor won't do it because black people live on this road.

v4vendetta

Awards
Ohhh the US of A.

The older I get the more I loathe my country, and that is largely because of all the lies and propaganda we are raised with to stay content. I just went ahead and paired them and color coded them for ease.

Pros
Our country is wealthy
Our country is large
Our country is more progressive than some countries
Our country has decent infrastructure (- Texas but they kind of screwed themselves on that) where you don't have to worry about power outages very often.
Healthcare in the US is among the best in the world...
Everything caters to us. Most products are released in the US. Because we are a high population center, it is rare that something occurs that we miss out on.
Our country has a strong sense of justice. People will band together if they think something is wrong, and they are loud about it.
We live in a Democracy.

Cons
None of our country's wealth goes to the benefit of the people, it is all spent on the military and on militarizing our police force. Our country won't support us during massive pandemics and leaves us to fend for ourselves with a minimum wage that is nowhere close to livable.
Most of the country is just cornfields if I'm being brutally honest. Sure you have a couple cities here or there but there are still a significant amount of people living in nowhere, USA. In these places its very depressing and isolating.
Our country is progressive to some degree but we still have political parties openly running on the platform of denying people their human rights, ex: transgender youth being rejected from religious homeless shelters. We are also hyper-religious with Christianity's tendrils in nearly everything from education to individual family life.
Almost 100% of our architecture is brutalist and depressing to look at, made of concrete like a prison. Our roads are garbage. It is common to drive on the same highway for hours and see nothing but corn. Please god someone make America pretty.
No one has access to this supposedly amazing healthcare. If you are estranged from your parents or poor or transgender you are heavily discriminated against in the medical field. We have a mental health epidemic because no one can afford therapy. Veterans health services are awful (me and my dad are both veterans, and he warned me not to use em unless you're dying and there is nowhere else to go...veterans shouldn't feel that way).
This only furthers the narrative in the minds of some people that we are a superior country to everyone else in spite of our many many flaws. The "we are number one" attitude leads us to be less empathetic to other countries and contributes to the stereotype of Americans being selfish/uneducated about world events.
Our justice system is so hopelessly flawed. There are no checks sand balances for our cops, our system is weaponized against POC, our prison systems aren't geared toward rehabilitation so the recidivism rate is extremely high. Because we are uneducated, we see organized events like the Capitol attack which receive no punishment while BLM protests result in thousands of arrests.
No one here feels represented, in any ideology. Our politicians are corrupt and some people have more of a say than others because votes are suppressed in many ways. If the last four years taught us anything it is that we are capable of tiptoeing toward fascism very easily.

The USA is the equivalent of that neighbor's house that always has the prefect lawn and the house looks nice and a nuclear family lives there and then you look inside and its a house of horrors with literal skeletons in the closets and the family hates each other.

Rainclouds

Awards
The United Kingdom.

We got some good cities. Some good history stuff. We are four countries united under one banner. Good people. Peaceful. And we are not crazed about weapons, unlike some countries if you know what I mean. The land is quite nice and scenic, too. Free healthcare, too. Also, everyone likes us. We don't start wars, unlike a certain other country. We also have Canada and New Zealand as good friends.

A government that never does anything right, and they can be pretty stupid. But that's it.

Back