• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

What makes a Christian, a Christian?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forever Atlas

The World Rests On Me
Awards
^ Please provide me the scripture(s) that says that. If there is none, then that teaching is bunk in Christianity. After all, the Bible and nothing else is supposed to be the basis of their teachings.

Nazo

Hope Remains
Awards
Wrong. God rules over Satan, and also hell. Your right who would want power over hell but, God do. He had control over everything so yea. ><

True. God does have power over everything, but still. Hell belongs to Satan. God may have power over it, but I never once have heard of a time where he ever meddled with Hell in any way.

Gildragon

Theatre Messiah
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
True. God does have power over everything, but still. Hell belongs to Satan. God may have power over it, but I never once have heard of a time where he ever meddled with Hell in any way.

NO NO NO NO NO.

Hell was created by God as a punishment for Satan and the other Fallen Angels.

In order for Hell to actually belong to Satan he would have to have power over it.
He doesn't. In fact the Bible says that in the end the Devil will be burning in pain himself having to scream Jesus is Lord over and over and over.

Nazo

Hope Remains
Awards
NO NO NO NO NO.

Hell was created by God as a punishment for Satan and the other Fallen Angels.

In order for Hell to actually belong to Satan he would have to have power over it.
He doesn't. In fact the Bible says that in the end the Devil will be burning in pain himself having to scream Jesus is Lord over and over and over.

I knew I was forgetting something. Thanks Gil.

Dark Heart 2

GONE FROM JULY 21-AUGUST 10
Well, being a Christian (who actually sticks to his beliefs... not trying to be offensive to anyone, but I know too many people that 'mix ideas'), I think my take on it should be all right. To be a Christian, is to believe that there truly is a God (Jesus being the physical manifestation of Him) that created everything. It is to believe that we are sinners, and that Christ came and died for our sins, and is one day going to return. To be one is to live the way He asks us to, even if it's not what we might necessarily like.

Being a Christian is not being 'perfect'... no matter how hard anyone tries, no one can be perfect. Heck, all Christians are hypocrites! We all stumble and fail at times... we're as human as anyone else. Some of use might even screw up more than non-believers; we're not all 'goody-two shoes' like some would believe. No amount of good deeds can get anyone in God's good favor... that's why Christ came.

And keep in mind, just because someone says they are a Christian, DOES NOT MAKE THEM ONE! It is shown through their actions, through their faith. Hah, I almost forgot the most important thing about being a Christian: to love. Not just the rich, cool, etc... but everyone. That's basically it in a nutshell.

(Disclaimer: To anyone that may have a friend who invites you to Church or something similar... they are not necessarily trying to BRAINWASH YOU! Just keep that in mind)

I applaud you, Atlas. You, unlike most bloody people on here, actually provide some good, solid, logical evidence to back up your statements. THANK YOU! Honestly, you make all the ignorance and arrogance I see on here worth fighting through.

Last edited:

Nazo

Hope Remains
Awards
I applaud you, Atlas. You, unlike most bloody people on here, actually provide some good, solid, logical evidence to back up your statements. THANK YOU! Honestly, you make all the ignorance and arrogance I see on here worth fighting through.

Yeah, Atlas can give quite the argument. His posts are inspirational at times too. :tongue:

Gildragon

Theatre Messiah
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Well, being a Christian (who actually sticks to his beliefs... not trying to be offensive to anyone, but I know too many people that 'mix ideas'), I think my take on it should be all right. To be a Christian, is to believe that there truly is a God (Jesus being the physical manifestation of Him) that created everything. It is to believe that we are sinners, and that Christ came and died for our sins, and is one day going to return. To be one is to live the way He asks us to, even if it's not what we might necessarily like.

Incorrect We are saved by grace not by the law. If we were saved just by works then noone would get into heaven. That was the whole point of Jesus coming. For God so LOVED the world, that he gave his only son that whosoever would believe in him would not perish but have everlasting life. for God sent not his son into the world to condemn the world but to SAVE the world.

Works and following law cannot happen when Satan is referred to as the "god of this world" and "prince of the power of the air." Since with the old testament the only way to get into heaven was to be "perfect" noone was getting in. So the "unspotted lamb," Jesus Christ died in place. What makes a Christian a Christian is accepting Jesus into your heart.

As far as living the way he acts us to. This should be something we do out of love for Jesus, not because we think we HAVE to.

Being a Christian is not being 'perfect'... no matter how hard anyone tries, no one can be perfect. Heck, all Christians are hypocrites! We all stumble and fail at times... we're as human as anyone else. Some of use might even screw up more than non-believers; we're not all 'goody-two shoes' like some would believe. No amount of good deeds can get anyone in God's good favor... that's why Christ came.

I'd say your use of the word hypocrite is incorrect. in order to be a hypocrite you have to be deliberately not doing what you say you should be. I think most Christians are or at least WANT to be perfect, but they stumble and fall.

This to me is the distinguishing characteristic of when a Christian sins to when a non believer sins.

The non believer may support their sin (such as lust). but a Christian should at least feel some sense of guilt.
When I commit an act I know is wrong. I usually have some sort of minor guilt complex because I know I screwed up.

And keep in mind, just because someone says they are a Christian, DOES NOT MAKE THEM ONE! It is shown through their actions, through their faith.

That reminded me of a quote.

"Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than going to McDonald's makes you a hamburger.
or than sitting in your garage makes you a car."

Hah, I almost forgot the most important thing about being a Christian: to love. Not just the rich, cool, etc... but everyone. That's basically it in a nutshell.

IT is the greatest commandment.

if you truly follow the two greatest commandments you basically can't break anything else/

"Love the lord your God with all your heart, mind, soul, and strength
and
Love your neighber even as you love youself"

The rest of the commandments all fall into place around these two

Dark Heart 2

GONE FROM JULY 21-AUGUST 10
Incorrect We are saved by grace not by the law. If we were saved just by works then noone would get into heaven. That was the whole point of Jesus coming. For God so LOVED the world, that he gave his only son that whosoever would believe in him would not perish but have everlasting life. for God sent not his son into the world to condemn the world but to SAVE the world.

Works and following law cannot happen when Satan is referred to as the "god of this world" and "prince of the power of the air." Since with the old testament the only way to get into heaven was to be "perfect" no one was getting in. So the "unspotted lamb," Jesus Christ died in place. What makes a Christian a Christian is accepting Jesus into your heart.

As far as living the way he acts us to. This should be something we do out of love for Jesus, not because we think we HAVE to.

That's basically what I meant, I guess I should have been more specific. Saying your a Christian and then not doing anything that Christ asks of us... that is more or less what I meant. The Old Testament is what life was life without grace; the New is life with it. Don't worry, I know my stuff (though not to complete theological extents, I will admit).

I'd say your use of the word hypocrite is incorrect. in order to be a hypocrite you have to be deliberately not doing what you say you should be. I think most Christians are or at least WANT to be perfect, but they stumble and fall.

This to me is the distinguishing characteristic of when a Christian sins to when a non believer sins.

The non believer may support their sin (such as lust). but a Christian should at least feel some sense of guilt.
When I commit an act I know is wrong. I usually have some sort of minor guilt complex because I know I screwed up.

Well, I guess it does depend on your definition of hypocrisy, though. For me, even if you do not want to do something sinful, and then follow through with it anyways (guilt or not), that to me, is being a hypocrite, which we Christians do all the time, y'know? That's what I meant-- but I do see what you mean.

That reminded me of a quote.

"Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than going to McDonald's makes you a hamburger.
or than sitting in your garage makes you a car."

Ha hah! Yah, try telling that to some naive people I know ; )

IT is the greatest commandment.

if you truly follow the two greatest commandments you basically can't break anything else/

"Love the lord your God with all your heart, mind, soul, and strength
and
Love your neighber even as you love youself"

The rest of the commandments all fall into place around these two

And as long as all of us agree on that, there shouldn't be too much else that we should be able to argue about (heh, though somehow, we do... though from what I've seen, it has to do with denominational issues. From my experience, anyways).

Gildragon

Theatre Messiah
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
And as long as all of us agree on that, there shouldn't be too much else that we should be able to argue about (heh, though somehow, we do... though from what I've seen, it has to do with denominational issues. From my experience, anyways).

Which is why I don't ascribe myself to a particular denomination

Nazo

Hope Remains
Awards

This hard to explain, but haven't you ever heard that Jesus, God, and the Holy Spirit are all the same entity yet seperate at the same time? Basically, they're all different forms of God, but all together they are still God. You know the Father(God), the Son(Jesus), and the Holy Spirit. Like I said, hard to explain, but yeah.

^Also, Lefolane your reply is a extremely vague. Having God in your life is, of course, a part of it but there's much more that goes along with it.

Forever Atlas

The World Rests On Me
Awards
This hard to explain, but haven't you ever heard that Jesus, God, and the Holy Spirit are all the same entity yet seperate at the same time? Basically, they're all different forms of God, but all together they are still God. You know the Father(God), the Son(Jesus), and the Holy Spirit. Like I said, hard to explain, but yeah.

^Also, Lefolane your reply is a extremely vague. Having God in your life is, of course, a part of it but there's much more that goes along with it.

I won't go into it too much as I don't want an argument to spew forth from it, but that does depend on the denomination you are in. Some classify all three as one. Others describe them as different.

Soooo yeah <.< lol

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
When is the Holy Spirit referred to as a person in the Bible again?

Forever Atlas

The World Rests On Me
Awards
When is the Holy Spirit referred to as a person in the Bible again?

It isn't.

Is the Holy Spirit a Person?

For a few reasons that could be backed up with pages upon pages of scriptural support.

Personification does not prove personality. It Lacks personal identification and is impersonal in nature.

The Bible really describes it as God's active force.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back