• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Anime/Manga ► What was your first Anime/Manga and what is your fondest memory of that series?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

FangirlfromHell

Awards
I've seen people talk about their favorite anime or manga but I've yet to see the story of what got anyone into the medium itself. I know that for many people it is different and everyone has at least one fond memory of their first anime or manga. Sometimes it is even how we judge whether or not we like specific aspects of the series in question.

For myself, my first anime excluding Pokemon Indigo League was a show I didn't know until I got older was an anime: Speed Racer. We were living in Ohio and they had a VHS ( I feel old) called Speed Racer The Movie. The movie in question was a compilation of three episodes and several period commercials.This was the one non-Disney thing other than Xena that I got to watch with my dad and the one thing my siblings were old enough to enjoy with me. The tape no longer exists, but I have never forgotten the series and it now lives on in our collection on bluray.

My first manga (that I actually read all the way through at the time) was Cardcaptor Sakura. If found the first volume in my elementary school after moving to Missouri after having seen Cardcaptors (the horrible dubbed version of the anime). I remember being so confused as to where certain cards were because I didn't know there were only 19 in the actual manga of the 52 in the anime. This is a manga that has come back to me whenever I need Sakura's advice most: Everything will certain by all right. This is a message that a lot of people can still resonate with as well as the pure joy of reading such a wonderful series.

So my query to you: What anime and/or manga was the first in your life? What can you associate with it?

Peace

Awards
My first animé? Hmm... I don't really remember. I recall watching a bit of Voltron as a kid. Though I didn't know that animé was a thing back then. I used to watch Pokémon up to the first episode of Advanced Generation. Between that and watching Toonami, I started to notice a bit that there were some artistic similarities between them.

The first manga I ever bought was a copy of Shonen Jump at a book fair that my middle school had. And the only reason I bought it is because it came with with a cool Red-Eyes Black Dragon card. I remember reading it and thinking "Why is everything happening backwards?" Sometime later, I noticed the note on the top of it saying to read from right to left and feeling like a dumb-dumb.

The first one I read all the the way through was Rurouni Kenshin. I loved the show as a kid, even going through the lengths of trying and failing to wake up early enough to watch it and Yu Yu Hakusho when Cartoon Network moved from their blocks in the afternoon on Toonami to like five or six in the morning. It was so awesome to see what happened after the Kyoto Arc and to finally see Kenshin's origin fleshed out more. It was always so cool to read what went into the character designs at the end of a bunch of chapters. It's actually the only manga I've read multiple times. And it always pisses me off when studios keep redoing the Kyoto Arc whether it be animated or live-action. I'm actually in the midst of watching the TV show for about the third or fourth time.

FangirlfromHell

Awards
The first one I read all the the way through was Rurouni Kenshin. I loved the show as a kid, even going through the lengths of trying and failing to wake up early enough to watch it and Yu Yu Hakusho when Cartoon Network moved from their blocks in the afternoon on Toonami to like five or six in the morning. It was so awesome to see what happened after the Kyoto Arc and to finally see Kenshin's origin fleshed out more. It was always so cool to read what went into the character designs at the end of a bunch of chapters. It's actually the only manga I've read multiple times. And it always pisses me off when studios keep redoing the Kyoto Arc whether it be animated or live-action. I'm actually in the midst of watching the TV show for about the third or fourth time.

I remember both of these series every fondly. Rurouni Kenshin was my first introduction to a blend things that interest both the male and female demographic, where most manga in SJ tended to be more geared with boys in mind. I think anyone can like any manga/anime though.

Yu Yu Hakusho has always been a favorite but I am still sad that some things from the manga never made it to the anime. Mostly concepts from the first volume of the manga. There were chapters that helped flesh out Yusuke's character and gave him early development that were fun to read.

I totally agree about the Kyoto Arc being redone so many times. I don't understand the obsession with only redoing one arc to begin with. I am just thankful Rurouni Kenshin has not suffered the fate of Full Metal Alchemist and Dragonball: Total remake that STILL deviates from the manga anyway. Don't get me wrong, I loved FMA and Brotherhood but Dragonball Z Kai just wasn't as fun as the original for some reason save for the opening and ending themes. Gotta day it: LOVE the P5 user icon you got going' on.

Tyrant Raver

The Dragon
Awards
Oh man I remember Ranma 1/2, Martian Successor Nadesico and Saber Marionette J. Then the Gundam Series and the legendary Mazinger Z.

90's anime with their large crazy googly-eyed art style, and early 80's one with their trumpet orchestra intros.

FangirlfromHell

Awards
Oh man I remember Ranma 1/2, Martian Successor Nadesico and Saber Marionette J. Then the Gundam Series and the legendary Mazinger Z.

90's anime with their large crazy googly-eyed art style, and early 80's one with their trumpet orchestra intros.

To the day I've not seen Ranma 1/2, but I am a fan of a few of the Gundam series. Of the 80's-90's anime there were a few where the eyes weren't quite as huge as in others. I noticed that in Cardcaptor Sakura the adult characters actually had relatively face-fitting eyes and in Yoroiden Samurai Troopers as well as Mobile Suit Gundam 0079 that the eyes weren't nearly as extreme as some of the eyes in shows like Cowboy Bebop or Tenchi where the women all seemed to have huge eyes drawn in awkward shapes.

Ranma 1/2 is by Rumiko Takahashi I think?

Tyrant Raver

The Dragon
Awards
Yep same author of the famous Inuyasha (which I tried getting in to but just not up to par). Back when harem animes have actual substance instead of just perverted jokes and lame comedy, and the protagonists with actual 3 dimensional characterization and not just the series' gag pervert.

I only watched the MS team and pretty much all Universal Century-related gundam series. Because Gundam Victory happened... Gundam SEED/Destiny... urgh... Then there's Sunrise's attempt to shoe-in Gundam in the Super Robot genre, G Gundam (which is probably the best series IMO just next to Iron Blooded Orphans).

DarkGrey Heroine

How much closer could I be?
Awards
My first anime was Dragon Ball Z, and I was freakin' 3 years old when I started following it on German television because somehow my family managed to "catch" German channels for our TV back then. Darrrrrn was I happy about it, one day I lost the channel and couldn't remember the number so I lost the series until I found it again yeaaaars later. In the meanwhile I watched classics, Sailor Moon, Pokemon, Digimon, YuGiOh, Ranma 1/2, InuYasha, Duel Masters, One Piece etc. etc.! and learnt German. My fondest memory is when the original Dragon Ball started airing again on sme channel, and I was already a teen and got so hyped to see Goku again. The happiest reunion for an anime lover.

Dark Master

Panda Paintbrushes
Awards
Honestly, it was probably Dragon ball z when I was about 8. At the time I had no idea that it was different from any other cartoon besides how cool it was. Basically that got me into watching toonami which showed other animes at the time, then after learning about anime I began watching stuff online that wasn't on the tv. I will always think of DBZ as a great gateway to anime, definitely not the best but I do have a place for it in my heart. My favorite is Naruto or Gundam 0079 now but I have a ton that I watch now lol

Shinra

Banned
Awards
hahaha my first official manga was Cardcaptor sakura and my fondest memory was the first time reading volume 5... hahahahahaha! Li! In a dress! that's what I loved about Clamp's works

Not Ienzo

Website
www.fanfiction.net
My first anime was Pokemon. I used to watch it on TV religiously when I was a kid, but as I grew older and the anime started getting worse and worse, I eventually stopped. No fond memories either, sadly. At least I have the games though.

I also saw the Frieza arc from DBZ on TV when I was a kid. I don't remember much, but it was fun. The fights were cool and that was all I could ever want back then.

But what seriously got me into anime was Death Note. I loved L. I really did. So my fondest memories from Death Note were any scene with him in it. I like Death Note for many reasons, but L was what introduced me to the series and made me want to watch it.

Veevee

Awards
My first manga was Digimon which was basically a drawn version of the first four episodes of the show that I already knew ... my first "real" manga was the first volume of Yu-Gi-Oh!. I loved the anime and was actually quite surprised it had a manga and boy, I was even more surprised when I discovered that the manga is so much different from the anime, especially in the first few volumes. I have fond memories of watching every episode of Pokémon ... it's not my fondest memory, but the one I remember most:
I was able to convince my parents to let me stay home instead of going on a family trip because there were 5 special episodes of Pokémon announced which I absolutely had to watch. I was quite disappointed to discover that these were aired again about a week ago, all the special feeling about it was gone and I felt like I had lied to my parents even if I didn't know that this would happen. Childhood trauma, haha :'D

Andriux

Website
kingdomhearts.be
Hmm...if I remember correctly it was actually Cowboy Bebop. I was what 10 or 11 years old. Mom had just gotten cable, so on a late Saturday night I was flipping through the channels...and BOOM I hit channel 51, the Adult Swim progamming block is on, and what do I see? Mad Pierrot crying like a baby and getting stomped to death by one of those giant robots in some amusement park...I asked myself "what the hell is this???" 😱 I could not sleep for the rest of the night. I was freaked out for a few days. I then, started watching the rest of series after I got over my traumatic experience hahaha!

catcake

eien no chikai
Awards
Pokemon I guess. I loved it and recorded all the episodes that came on TV and watched them again and again. Loved the games too. But if Pokemon doesn't count then Sailor Moon! I have good memories of it, I was the only one in my class who could already read well so everyone came to my house and we'd watch the Swedish dub with Finnish subs and it was pretty great. I drew the characters a lot and had some awful OCs as well of course. Good times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back