• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

What went wrong with Back Cover?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards
I don't think Back Cover is this huge dissapointment everybody is making it to be. But i'm coming in from a layman's perspective without playing the MMO. I also don't have high expectations for KH's storytelling after DDD so I wasn't expecting anything that good.

It's a passable movie worth watching once. The performances are pretty good but the material itself is lackluster. I felt like the movie needed another half-hour but there is no guarantee the movie would have used its extra time well.

That's the thing about it, though; it needed that half hour, but it already spent so much time saying so little that I'm not even sure what they could possibly do with only another half hour. It's just that they spent 50 minutes saying 2 things important to the plot of III so that extra thirty probably would have dragged more than added to the story. Maybe it would have included Skuld or something, though.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
like, at least there was a kind of kitchen-sink theory of utility behind the console spread: to try everything and see what works. I'm pretty sure SE just thinks (or maybe knows) KH fans will fall for anything now. :p

Heh, well said yourself. I hope that after KH III Square will stop just labeling KH on everything available and stick with a more solid plan. This saga went on nearly every system and spouted every form of titles and that's what it is, but from this point onwards it's still salvageable.

I think the only lower marketing decision so far is making part of a god damn concert series canon not once, but TWICE.

Pffft.
Also well said.
I don't think Back Cover is this huge dissapointment everybody is making it to be. But i'm coming in from a layman's perspective without playing the MMO. I also don't have high expectations for KH's storytelling after DDD so I wasn't expecting anything that good.

It's a passable movie worth watching once. The performances are pretty good but the material itself is lackluster. I felt like the movie needed another half-hour but there is no guarantee the movie would have used its extra time well.

Believe me, I'm still passive on Back Cover and won't bash on it more than necessary, but it's exactly due to it being yet another example of DDD-ish storytelling and its foggy ties with the MMO and the rest of the series that many were disappointed.

I was legit excited to have a KH mini-movie, and since it was the first ever attempt there was no way to predict how things would've gone.
The issue is that this movie needed more time mainly because instead of being just a laid-back KH movie made for you to just sit back and relax it tried desperately to be the next piece to the puzzle, promising to be the next installment in the series when it clearly wasn't. If the development team went at it with a different mindset and the movie was announced in a different way, perhaps Back Cover would've been longer and more well-paced, and fans would've been more lenient towards it.

Not an irreprehensible franchise itself, but take Assassin's Creed Embers for example. Embers was first and foremost included with Revelations and no one tried to act like it was the next Assassin's Creed in any way, and it was just a last narration about Ezio. No strings attached, nothing majorly important, no new mystery to be answered in Assassin's Creed III, nothing. Just a filler episode for fans to enjoy.
And when you need to learn from Assassin's Creed, boy something went wrong.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
The issue is that this movie needed more time mainly because instead of being just a laid-back KH movie made for you to just sit back and relax it tried desperately to be the next piece to the puzzle, promising to be the next installment in the series when it clearly wasn't. If the development team went at it with a different mindset and the movie was announced in a different way, perhaps Back Cover would've been longer and more well-paced, and fans would've been more lenient towards it.
I get the sense this is what most people were probably hoping for, and from what Nomura talked about in interviews this sounds even closer to his pitch than what we ended up with: something which really breathes and takes its time to flesh out this new cast of characters, defining for each of them a sense of personal history and intrinsic motivation rather than plugging them into prefab "next level" mystery box drama.

Haha. It's sad because we all know KH can be so much better than this. We shouldn't have to plan out how we're going to lower our standards to meet it in its race to the bottom.

Veevee

Awards
What bothered me most about this entry in the series is the continuation of what already bothered me in other entries: KH usually tries to put emphasis on some kind of friendship / companionship / bond that is way too often poorly presented because it's either hardly presented at all (BBS) or offered in a very cheesy "tell instead of show"-way like in DDD, the game that spent more time on letting Riku voice his 1000th remorse speech or bromance cheer instead of just showing these feelings and explaining more of what SHOULD'VE been explained, e.g. the time travel. Back Cover picks up on this by showing us seven people that are supposed to be protectors and companions but start to distrust each other at the first opportunity - partly without any given reason. I was actually surprised when they first denied to raise suspicions because they didn't know whether there even IS a traitor just to jump to a scene that is obviously at a later time where they are arguing about who exactly said traitor is without filling the viewer in what exactly lead them to such a drastic change of heart. From there on, we see people who look like adults and sound like at least older teenagers (I'm pretty sure Ira and Aced are adults, maybe also Ava and Invi) but act like stupid pawns for a guy who is terribly vague and shady. Yes, it's their master, they should trust him but being in a master-student relationship doesn't mean you have to blindly eat everything you are told, especially as an ADULT. If you try to prevent a war, try doing things that, well, might PREVENT it which is not blindly accusing each other and gathering lux in secret while the oh-so-funny master is laughing his ass off while he can't decide whether he is actually caring or just being a troll. It bothered me so much to see 6 individuals who spend more time fighting each other than actually questioning what's going on, maybe going to investigate where their master went instead of just ... accepting he's gone and continuing to do to stupid things. It's similar to BBS: We are supposed to see people that are close to each other and share an actual bond falling apart but what we actually get to see are people who have one or two awkward laugh moments before they are trying to kill each other for no good reason, yet we are supposed to be emotionally invested in the characters. It just doesn't work that way, Kingdom Hearts desperately needs more actual COMMUNICATION and less conflicts that arise because supposedly close friends just keep bashing each other until someone snaps. If a dialogue goes in the wrong way because people are unable to communicate in the way they intended to, that's one thing, it's believable, it happens to all of us, but not letting them communicate at all thus escalating things in a very artificial way feels really forced and overused by the series at this point.

D

Deleted member 246005

That's the thing about it, though; it needed that half hour, but it already spent so much time saying so little that I'm not even sure what they could possibly do with only another half hour. It's just that they spent 50 minutes saying 2 things important to the plot of III so that extra thirty probably would have dragged more than added to the story. Maybe it would have included Skuld or something, though.
Skuld might help develop the bond between the Foretellers and their respective unions. They try this with Ephemer and Ava but I think you could have done more with that.

I'm curious about what were you hoping for from the movie.
Believe me, I'm still passive on Back Cover and won't bash on it more than necessary, but it's exactly due to it being yet another example of DDD-ish storytelling and its foggy ties with the MMO and the rest of the series that many were disappointed.

I was legit excited to have a KH mini-movie, and since it was the first ever attempt there was no way to predict how things would've gone.

Not an irreprehensible franchise itself, but take Assassin's Creed Embers for example. Embers was first and foremost included with Revelations and no one tried to act like it was the next Assassin's Creed in any way, and it was just a last narration about Ezio. No strings attached, nothing majorly important, no new mystery to be answered in Assassin's Creed III, nothing. Just a filler episode for fans to enjoy.
I'd say Back Cover was more cohesive than DDD in terms of worldbuilding and plot. Plus I didn't walk away hating the cast like i did in DDD so that's a plus.

Coded had a similar problem as they tried make it feel like an integral part of the story but people just saw it as an excuse plot. A lot of that perception comes from the premise and if they had a different premise it be a different story.

Last edited by a moderator:

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
What bothered me most about this entry in the series is the continuation of what already bothered me in other entries: KH usually tries to put emphasis on some kind of friendship / companionship / bond that is way too often poorly presented because it's either hardly presented at all (BBS)
Just gotta say, I'm always going to give BBS credit for at least making the attempt. I can see the logical throughline and the intent of the writers for that entry, and while it doesn't excuse some of its weaker bits, it isn't vapid, it's just underdeveloped.

or offered in a very cheesy "tell instead of show"-way like in DDD, the game that spent more time on letting Riku voice his 1000th remorse speech or bromance cheer instead of just showing these feelings and explaining more of what SHOULD'VE been explained, e.g. the time travel.
I agree to the extent that DDD and BC both suffer from the use of talk and tell as a resolution to the question of, "How do we move the plot forward?" Dialogue isn't structured or purposeful; it's purely mechanical, like driving a snow plow through each arc of the story. It's always rooted in the most assumptive phrasing: characters are rarely exploratory in their arguments, and there's no sense of the depth of their refutations, or an organic struggle of will between different and dynamic personalities. When Sora says his friends are his power! in HB in KH1, you can feel the reverberation of that thesis all the way back through to the beginning of the game and the central tug of war between himself and Riku: it fine-tunes their distinctions. In DDD, his climactic proclamation that the Organization "treats hearts like bottles on a shelf" is true to character, but it's such an overt use of his empathic calling card as a means to entrapment rather than a genuine reflection on the antagonism we should have felt storming between him and the enemy the whole game (like they did in CoM). Instead, he feels artificially invective when the contextual portrait of that game consists of a Sora who acts with all the urgency of determining which shoe to tie first. Back Cover, by comparison, is almost humorous in its sloppy rush to cast everything in this kind of cursory conflict. Yes, please just casually relay to us that the world is doomed to come to an end and hand that plot off to a group of five people who can't agree on whether it's safe to drink the milk out of the cereal bowl.

Back Cover picks up on this by showing us seven people that are supposed to be protectors and companions but start to distrust each other at the first opportunity - partly without any given reason. I was actually surprised when they first denied to raise suspicions because they didn't know whether there even IS a traitor just to jump to a scene that is obviously at a later time where they are arguing about who exactly said traitor is without filling the viewer in what exactly lead them to such a drastic change of heart.

If you try to prevent a war, try doing things that, well, might PREVENT it which is not blindly accusing each other and gathering lux in secret while the oh-so-funny master is laughing his ass off while he can't decide whether he is actually caring or just being a troll. It bothered me so much to see 6 individuals who spend more time fighting each other than actually questioning what's going on, maybe going to investigate where their master went instead of just ... accepting he's gone and continuing to do to stupid things.

It just doesn't work that way, Kingdom Hearts desperately needs more actual COMMUNICATION and less conflicts that arise because supposedly close friends just keep bashing each other until someone snaps. If a dialogue goes in the wrong way because people are unable to communicate in the way they intended to, that's one thing, it's believable, it happens to all of us, but not letting them communicate at all thus escalating things in a very artificial way feels really forced and overused by the series at this point.
Your whole post is good but these are my favorite bits. Yes to all of the above. Especially that second portion. For a series of character vignettes hijacked by a central mystery, there's surprisingly little honest, effective investigative work that gets done by these over qualified Keyblade Masters. This is where all that blank space between each of them, and their relationship to the Master, becomes problematic. At least in BBS, we have enough background to understand the rudiments of the main trio's training and history, and that clarifies both their convictions and their faults as people. We can, at the very least, theorize better writing for TAV because we have the grounds to do so. The Foretellers of Back Cover are just puzzle blocks, no more living or intentional than the chess pieces we see Eraqus and Xehanort playing around with in the KH3 trailers: we can assign them random attributes and invented endings, but it won't lead us back to anything in evidence.

ImVentus

Awards
Kind of late to the party:tongue:
and everyone pretty much already touched upon what I feel.

Unless...

After watching through all 3 cutscene-based KH films. I'd say that Back Cover feels more like a film, somewhat.
Yet I feel that Back Cover still is executed as a really good TV Movie, but not a full feature film. I'd catch a few glimpses of cinematic storytelling; but due to the constant jumping to different characters & unnecessary bragging between the unions, the film loses it's appeal. One thing I remember in particular from the time 2.8 came out, was that the reception for Back Cover was critizied on story's arguments between the unions and not so much on their actions. Among many in the community outside of KHI, were left feeling dissapointed.
Something Ive also learned from my experience with storytelling is that "When something has to be addressed to the audience or fill with dialogue; that's the very obvious sign of weak storytelling. For the art of storytelling is to tell a story that audiences can learn something new from; while following along the arcs. Dialogue & music are two of the easiest and most manipulative tools to reach an audience. If it can be done by just the character's personality or animation, then that is a true accomplishment." Music still however is a very important piece, to tell a story. As for Back Cover, I felt much of the dialogue was delivered rather choppy. Especially during the argument scenes. The MOM was a very odd character, but he was enjoyable for the first view. As for later, he's role felt unfinished and misleading. However I do believe that he was definitely abusive towards the union leaders on purpose. I can't help it either, that I really wanted to know what he would look like without the cloak. His eye in the No Name was a very interesting aspect that intrigued some mystery. I hope we can learn more about that for the near future.

Chirithy had potential to be more character driven, but was mostly used as a plot tool. I honestly wanted more involvement with Chirithy.
Ephemer's part was simple and very sweet. One of my favourite scenes in the story.
Something I missed from the story was . . .
A lack of real character development for the union leaders as whole.
We were introduced to them as if they already knew their roles. Would have been more interesting if they would have been introduced as either younger. Then have them grow with the years to fulfil their roles. In my perspective that would had set up a more complex arc for each union leader. Aced's character felt the most complex and cinematic during the story. He was the one seen as dealing with both good an bad and yet coming off as misunderstood.

Aside from Aced, Ava felt the most main-character focused. Since the story jumped a lot to her character and her struggles.
Gula was very much more of a side character until the very climax of the story.
Invi never really got on my nerves or irritated me, at first I believed she wanted to keep the balance until I saw that she was rather quick to judge her peers. However I don't think she really meant to be too nosy, if it hadn't been for her loyalty to the MOM.
Ira was the most bland of the bunch to me. He only seemed to be focused to find out about the traitor (while they actually built a different subplot for him earlier with MOM, which I wish they would have expanded on instead.) His closure with the story was rather disappointing.

I also would have wished and believe the story would have left a stronger impact, if it had concluded with the Keyblade War. That could have left a powerful closure to the union leader's fate. The setup from the trailer, where we saw the giant clock and Ava informing the dandelions about a war. That left an impression that if there was a scene with Daybreak Town nearing doom. Then the story could have felt more cinematic, with a real climax. I honestly wish we could have found out how they all ended up at Keyblade Graveyard. There was so much potential to fill the spots.

Last edited:

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
It exists.

No really, this entry is less warranted than Re: Coded. It's a pretty looking spectacle, but the way that the X narrative is unfurling with Union Cross, Back Cover becomes less and less relevant.

It's clear that the cinematic was made as a pretty test demo for the new engine and a bundle with 0.2 Birth by Sleep. Don't get me wrong, the performances are perfect, nothing wrong with the characters, it was just a story that didn't really need to be told.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
No really, this entry is less warranted than Re: Coded. It's a pretty looking spectacle, but the way that the X narrative is unfurling with Union Cross, Back Cover becomes less and less relevant.
Back Cover and the original Browser-Chi are supposed to be this kind of "origin" story with the original Keyblade War and how everything began according to Nomura, yet the man himself admitted in another interview (Famitsu in January 2017) that the parts actually important to the main story (read: The present era with Sora, Xehanort and their respective companions/pawns) can only be witnessed/learned by playing the original Chi (which is unavailable outside Japan) and Unchained/Union X (which is phone-only):
Famitsu said:
Now, it should be noted that [KHxBC] is a story about the Foretellers and the events that occurred behind the scenes, so for the parts of the story which are important and connected to the main story, including the Keyblade War, I have separated the story telling of that into [KHx] and [KHUx], which can only be experienced by playing them.

When one reads such a statement, it can really make one wonder what the damn point of Back Cover is beyond stealth advertising for the mobile game.
The whole issue about the Goatblade being related to the Book of Prophecies and similar small lore tidbits could have easily been added as extra cutscenes to DDD or 0.2 just like Re: Coded received new scenes with Maleficent and Young Xehanort for more lore integration.
One could even include Ephemer's glorified cameo (and the Dandelion speech with Ava) in those scenes without any additional trouble.

And the whole "mystery box"-extraâ„¢ is superfluous stuff that was never in any form present outside of Back Cover itself and I dunno what to really make of it due to it reeking of either being just included to provide another sideplot for Maleficent (like the whole let's get a new Castle-stuff in KH 2) or to complicate things even further.
The latter possibility is even more aggravating when considering the creator's very own words:
Famitsu said:
—Does spreading the story from not only KH3D but also KH0.2 mean that KH3 will be smaller in size?
Nomura: It's not that I've spread the story out, perhaps it's more that I've separated the parts that would have ruined KH3's tempo if they were told then. In fact, KH3 is overwhelmingly big, so it's not that content has been shaved off, and it's something I've worried over how to handle.

Uh man, if you've already noticed how "overwhelmingly big" KH III is going to be and are "worried" how to handle it then why for Chirithy's sake are you complicating it even further by adding even more stuff and additional baggage?
Work on unpacking those layers and get to resolving the "overwhelmingly big" scope/scale instead of adding even more layers to it.

Don't get me wrong, the performances are perfect, nothing wrong with the characters, it was just a story that didn't really need to be told.

I don't think anyone is criticising the actual performance of the voice actors, they did good with the little stuff they were given.

Yet about story...what story exactly?
As Alexis so eloquently pointed out, Back Cover isn't really telling a true story at all, just stringing together setups/premises and some bare-bone narrative that serves as advertisement for the phone game and to further complicate the setup for KH III and the "present day"-storyline with additional baggage that could have been left out because it doesn't help resolving anything.

Back Cover also doesn't give a single answer or resolution for anything supposedly confined to its own era because it gets to end just as the truly "juicy" parts are supposed to start (which were actually addressed in the original Browser Chi, but not from the Foreteller's viewpoints).
Seeing the events of the final three or four updates from the original Browser game which held some truly interesting tidbits completely from the viewpoints of all the Foretellers (which would have included the reasoning and transition of Aced to the fascist-leaning scumbag the player avatar and Skuld confront in Browser-Chi who's actually willing to crush the other four Foretellers with his own hands, Ira throwing himself into the inevitable war to ensure there will be no victor at all, Ava's search and eventual confrontation with Luxu and Gula relaying to Skuld how him chasing wrong clues lead to the whole escalation of things in the first place etc.) would have given Back Cover some actual merit and worthwhile ground for the Foretellers to stand on.

Even doing just that and having the film end with the Foretellers each heading for the battlegrounds, possibly with the Keykids of their Union in tow without actually showing anything of the war itself (which I think the film doesn't really need) would have the benefit for the audience being bigger than what we actually got with the actual bonus of having everything from the original browser game actually covered at least in broad strokes.

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
I wasn't able to get around to this until just last night. Then again, I thought I'd have played through all the ReMIXes in time for KHIII, but that ..didn't happen. I just couldn't bypass it though as (aside from the other cinematics) I'm pretty familiar with every entry and managed to turn my head from anything that might spoil Back Cover for me.

Except it was spoiled on arrival. So, I'm vent-posting, because I don't want to make another disparaging thread. What a bummer. My poor partner suffered with me through this last night through dinner. On an emotional level, it didn't even feel like Kingdom Hearts even though I've been playing UX on and off since the beginning, especially this past month, getting up to speed on the Global!

The issue with the game, is that the narrative is so choppy and lackadaisical (ie. We get a morsel of a story beat, are force-fed 60 missions of Agrabah's desert and then go on to do something else lacking urgency in another world), that I actually needed a recap that wasn't satiated by the too long of a slideshow at the beginning full of redundant text.

In retrospect, this was kindof foreshadowing for the Back Cover movie itself. There's a whole lot of samey dialogue without context, wrapped in pretty trimming, pasted together, called a movie. After two tries (though I haven't seen all of Days or any of Re:coded's cinematics), I would have thought they'd get what it takes to make sitting through their feature-length stories enjoyable. Everyone's already spoken about the big stuff: lack of characterization, exposition, dialogue, substantial weight, Disney/FF, etc. But they also make some rookie mistakes still treating these cinematics like isolated cutscenes as though there were gaming between them. The flow is broken. I don't have a problem dicing the film into "chapters". Many films do it successfully. But it's jarring to hear the same BGM fade out only to restart again in the next scene.

In addition to the myriad problems others have described long before me, I just get thrown out of the film on so many levels. I went in kindof caring, and came out caring less. It un-hyped me a little, at the very least for all its potential relevance in KHIII.

It's all unfortunate, because UX started out as such a positive movement for the KH fanbase. F2P or not, I was excited for a social aspect. I even got to play with a few of my friends here, and I was looking forward to being treated with more of this peripheral world! Not to mention BC's Dearly Beloved arrangement is boss, and I'd been in awe of it long before I was fortunate enough to see it live at the KH Orchestra -World Tour- (which honestly hyped me up for this movie even more!) However, Ephemer is a blip. Skuld is absent. And I'm ambivalent about pretty much everyone. Ava tugs at me, but I honestly can't say whether or not it's because of a combined history across platforms. She has some of the best dialogue in the movie, though, I'd say. Confronting Invi, protecting Gula and urging the Dandelions to fly away. On the whole, these guys are starving for dimension that I'm unsure I'm looking for in KHIII. Maybe I just prefer it carry on in its own little world unassociated with and beyond this next title.

Last edited:

The_Echo

Anti-SENA Operative
Awards
I don't think anything went wrong with Back Cover.

I think the fans (myself included), got our heads a-buzzin' with this and that theory or expectation, and when BC didn't fulfill every wish and whim, that meant it was bad. Even now I'm a bit disappointed there wasn't even a frame of the Keyblade War.

With the way χ[chi] ended, it's fairly obvious the game didn't end service on its own terms. I mean hell, Agrabah didn't even get a real ending, and the main story wrapped up uncharacteristically quickly as the deadline approached, including multiple timeskips.
As much as I was excited for and enjoy the ending of χ[chi], it's not a big stretch to say it was rushed.
That in mind, Back Cover is likely Nomura's way of filling in what ended up on the cutting room floor thanks to χ[chi]'s premature closure.

So Back Cover came and gave us this:
1. The Foretellers as actual characters. Aside from Ava, we saw precious little of these guys in χ[chi] and only now do they really feel like characters with motivations, strengths and weaknesses. Invi is still pretty weak, but I feel the rest of them were done justice.
2. A true introduction to the Master. Originally a character we only saw in a silent dream, and one you'd be forgiven for forgetting about, Back Cover gifted us with what I think is the best character in the series so far. The Master's playful and unpredictable demeanor make him both lovable and more than a little bit ominous. Also Sugita's performance was 100/10 pls gib me more
3. Deeper connections to the modern era and KHIII. This movie came out before the relaunch of Uχ, where the story took a hard left into crazy town and started heavily involving characters from the modern era.
At that time, while we could scratch our heads about Luxu wielding No Name or Chirithy being a Dream Eater, we really didn't have much to go on as far as what χ[chi] meant for the future of KH

So as far as the purpose of Back Cover is concerned, I think it absolutely succeeded. It makes χ[chi] a more complete and satisfying narrative.
Of course, given the untimely and permanent demise of the original χ[chi], I wouldn't have complained if BC were another three-hour movie if it meant fully adapting the χ[chi] story instead of only having the intentionally-unfinished retelling of Uχ.

If I were to critique BC as a standalone work, obviously we have a disjointed narrative with no climax or payoff, with constant references to plot elements which aren't established or made clear within the work itself.
But given that BC is a companion piece to a larger work, I feel that it really has to be viewed in that lens.
KH is no stranger to bizarre narrative delivery (though Square Enix is certainly capable of much worse), and I wouldn't have chosen to tell this story in this way myself, but that's how it is.

So, for what BC was and what it was trying to do, I think it did a good job and I enjoyed it very much.

Graceful Schemer

Just saw this, have not have time to read everything, but I already knew that Back Cover is not popular.

I like it a lot though. Before watching it, all I knew was the 2D Fairy Tale style designs of the Foretellers, a mention of Ventus that I forgot by the point of watching, and a mention of a guy named Brain/Blaine.

I think it is effective for what it was. After watching, I actually like and care for all primary seven (counting Ephemera as only a cameo here) except Aced. I think that their personalities, themes, and what they are each about are clearly conveyed. Back Cover let me to be interested in the X saga, but there is another thing with UX happening at the same time that seals the deal with my interest in Union X.

Back