• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

What Would Make You Give Up On Kingdom Hearts?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Zetta slow

Awards
I don't see Disney leaving the Series anytime in Phase 2 i can easily see a Mix of Disney + Final Fantasy in Phase 2 and besides we haven't even founded out the rest of the New Seven Lights
Raya should be one of the New Seven Hearts. Her title is literally Princess of Heart.

Zetta slow

Awards
I honestly don't know what would get me to quit the game. It'd have to be drastic and just plain stupid. I mean, Kingdom Hearts already has some weird stuff, but I still enjoy the characters and the story they're trying to tell, so for it to come to me quiting the game, they'd either have to keep rehashing the same plot, or making it super predictable. The craziness of the story is the main thing I love about Kingdom Hearts.

KingdomKurdistan

Awards
If KH3 wasn't the peak of convolution.

It just has to go downhill from here in terms of plotiness. Admit they dug themselves too deep and throw away those shovels for good.

blank points

Awards
It's a tough call this one. I guess the only way I can see myself leaving this series is if, as someone already mentioned before, is if the games get too boring or drag on too long. That's why if I'm honest, I hope the series comes to a proper end after Phase 2. Of course, that likely won't happen, seeing as this series is second only to FF in terms of popularity for SE, and since KH3 has become very profitable for Disney. However, I find if a series goes on too long, it just starts to lose it's quality, or becomes redundant. I mean this already did kind of happen with the Xehanort Saga. So for me, I think I will only leave this series if I feel the series has gone on too long and lost it's quality.

disney233

Awards
Why are people thinking of the removal of Disney? That's...literally not possible. Or have we forgotten that Sora and...just about ALL of the main OG characters and worlds are technically Disney property as well?

That being said, someone in here mentioned the return of Xehanort. That's probably enough to just...call a quits. Haven't we had enough convolution and just about EVERYTHING revolving around this one man? Another thing would probably be if they killed Kairi off, permanently....but both of these reasons are...terrifyingly a stretch in possibility....given how death in this game is.

Rainclouds

Awards
I'll stick with it to the end, even if Disney elements were removed. I always liked the original side of things over the Disney/Final Fantasy stuff. It's the only franchise where I prefer the antagonists over the protagonists (original org xiii mostly).

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Why are people thinking of the removal of Disney? That's...literally not possible. Or have we forgotten that Sora and...just about ALL of the main OG characters and worlds are technically Disney property as well?

That being said, someone in here mentioned the return of Xehanort. That's probably enough to just...call a quits. Haven't we had enough convolution and just about EVERYTHING revolving around this one man? Another thing would probably be if they killed Kairi off, permanently....but both of these reasons are...terrifyingly a stretch in possibility....given how death in this game is.
I think most of them mean Disney films not being in the game. They can very easily just stop having Disney films and characters in the game and just say "well the KH universe developed into its own thing!" like how Nomura tried to explain away FF characters not being in KH3 lol.

bambii

Awards
Website
twitter.com
I’d... probably be fine if they moved away from Disney worlds, given how much I love literally every original setting in the series. Just don’t take away Donald Goofy and Mickey, that’d be rough

Awards
- If Disney was removed from the franchise
- While it wouldn't make me quit the series altogether, I would be ticked off if the theory of Sora being the Master of Masters does end up being correct.

Dark Rot

Awards
KH3 was so shockingly horrendous on almost every level, I can't imagine how they could hurt me any more than that experience did. I just have to believe the worst is over, and the phoenix will rise again. If I can still love Kingdom Hearts after that tragedy, my interest probably isn't going anywhere. Short of handing the series off to some soulless major western developer 😬
I really don't relate to all of you saying you'd dip if the Disney stuff were strained out. Donald, Goofy and Maleficent are really the only borrowed Disney elements I see as essential. A KH game with all original worlds would be FTW.

That being said, someone in here mentioned the return of Xehanort. That's probably enough to just...call a quits. Haven't we had enough convolution and just about EVERYTHING revolving around this one man?
One thing that would definitely make me give up on Phase 2 entirely would be if they brought back Xehanort. I firmly believe it's the worst mistake that Nomura can make in the next saga. Outside of flashbacks he needs to stay dead.

I'm sorry, but... you might want to start mentally preparing because Xehanort ain't going anywhere. Dark Road doesn't even get into the most mysterious part of his backstory: his origin and childhood before he left the island. Get ready for redemption arc!

bambii

Awards
Website
twitter.com
I guess I’ll mention one that I don’t think anyone’s brought up, which is if the story becomes unreasonably pessimistic or emotionally manipulative.

I can’t say it’s very likely, as Nomura’s writing—while it does explore some darker themes—is generally pretty grounded in trajectories of spiritual growth, positive character arcs, emotional maturity, connectedness and community, and self-resilience. And I’m down for the series to dive even deeper into the ocean’s abyss but like, if Nomura ever starts emulating Yoko Taro or going really bleak I might think twice about it, mostly because it would feel like a betrayal of childhood fantasy. Then again, the series wears this dialectic/dynamic between hope and hopelessness on its sleeve, I just usually trust it to pull me out to shore on the other side.

AR829038

Awards
It's a super-high bar for me to make me want to quit the series. Frankly, I don't think I have a bar—I don't think anything could make me stop playing.
However, if anything could, it would probably be one of these following conditions:

1) Nomura died/quit and someone with much less artistic vision took over. Tetsuya Nomura IS Kingdom Hearts, and Kingdom Hearts IS Tetsuya Nomura. Frankly, it's more him than it is Disney. His vision, his narrative and aesthetic style, are inseparable from the identity of the franchise. If he were to leave the picture, I doubt that anybody could fill his shoes. For all the flak we give him (and much of it he deserves), I can't lie that he is one of the most unique and unpredictable storytellers that I've ever come across. This series would never have gotten off the ground if not for his creativity and ingenuity. If not for him, this series would have been probably one game in length, and it would have just been Disney characters bumping into Final Fantasy characters, nothing deeper than that (and that would have sucked imo).

2) If the games became routinely dull. I mean the gameplay specifically. Even if the story continues to be as insane as it is, if games like Union X and Dark Road prove to be the future of the franchise from a mechanical perspective, I don't know if I could stomach that. Even a console game that isn't fun to play will have the same effect. Half of the series' appeal is its gameplay, and the other half of its appeal—all the narrative and artistic stuff—is quite hit-or-miss at times. I would probably keep up with the story, but my desire to actually buy and play the games would be severely diminished if that ever happened.

3) If they focus exclusively on current Disney movies for worlds. Don't get me wrong, they're fun, and I know that part of the point of these games is marketing for new Disney releases, but I would hope they keep the practice of including at least a few old Disney movies per title. I don't care if they're Renaissance movies or Classic movies or even movies from Disney's intermittent dark ages. All the Disney movies that give me that feeling of nostalgia are the ones that came out before I was an adult. The new Disney movies just wouldn't give me that same glow, which means playing through their levels would be a bit more of a slog. I appreciate that KH3 kept Hercules, PotC, Winnie the Pooh, Toy Story, and Monsters Inc as new but not-too-recent titles. That helped strike a balance in terms of target demographic—there were worlds there for young kids who grew up on Frozen and Big Hero 6, and older adults who were watching Toy Story and Hercules when they were the same age.

4) The characters continue to be poorly written. I'll defend KH3 to the death from its detractors, but one thing I won't defend is the writing of the original characters. Sora wasn't bad, but too many of them, especially Aqua, Riku, and Kairi, had really dull dialogue and didn't have any chemistry with the other characters like they used to in the older games. And part of that has to do with Nomura not knowing what to do with his female characters, which is continually infuriating. But if this goes on for very much longer, that might sour the series for me.

5) Going too hard on the fanservice. I like a little bit of fanservice now and then, but doing a lot of it really takes me out of a story. And KH3 had a huge problem with that. Actually, this is probably the one thing I think ReMIND made WORSE. I get that KH2 was the golden age of the series, but there's a limit on how many call backs and references you should have. And the constant hyping up of the same old fan-favorite characters has to stop. We get it, everybody loved Roxas and Axel when they were young, but playing off of that too much comes off as artificial after a while. And making a bunch of gameplay callbacks in ReMIND to KH2 was fun as well, but I'm hoping the devs will actually experiment going forward instead of trying to just recreate KH2's mechanics every single game.

6) Exposition instead of showing. This is a big one for me, because it's so bland and there's little excuse for it nowadays. Easily one of the worst things the series does is have people stand around in a place and just talk and exposit with very little movement or action or even interesting cinematography. This was forgivable in the earlier games because they were on older consoles and the series wasn't as big so they didn't get as high a budget. But now, KH is playing with the big boys and is getting super-high bucks, so they need to start doing better visual storytelling. This practice of just having people stand around a room and exposit to each other was painfully noticeable in KH3, and I don't think the series can continue being like that going forward. It just looks and feels terrible.

disney233

Awards
I'm sorry, but... you might want to start mentally preparing because Xehanort ain't going anywhere. Dark Road doesn't even get into the most mysterious part of his backstory: his origin and childhood before he left the island. Get ready for redemption arc!
Ok forget what I said, THAT. THAT RIGHT THERE? THAT'S What's going to get me to FUCKING leave. After all the things Xehanort's done, and they'll not ONLY revive him through the power of BS, but REDEEM him. Into a good person, like we're supposed to be like the other dumbasses in the game and forgive him for everything he's fucking done. NO. NOT EVERY DAMN CHARACTER NEEDS TO BE REDEEMED. Might as well strip away Maleficent's 'Mistress of All Evil' title and redeem her too so she could be the Mistress of Sunshine and Rainbows!

SweetYetSalty

Awards
Things that would make me give up on Kingdom Hearts? One does not simply give up on Kingdom Hearts. But still.

1: Nomura leaving. I don't trust anyone but Nomura on this series.

2: My favorites retiring for good. For me Kingdom Hearts is a character driven series. If I don't care for the characters I'm watching/playing as then I'm not invested, no matter what twist the story throws at me. If all my favorites were retired I'd probably struggle to keep interest in the series.

3: Romance becoming more of a thing. I'm a broken record here but I greatly prefer cheesy friendship stories over romantic ones. The shipping wars would drive me crazy and I'd quit. I rarely like romance in my video games. So far on FFIX and FFX have pulled it off. I don't want romance in my KH.

4: The series stops being fun. Pretty simple. If the series gets boring I'd probably lose interest.

5: The fanbase. The fanbase wouldn't make me stop enjoying Kingdom Hearts. It would just make me stop hanging out on forums about Kingdom Hearts.

Truthfully I don't know if Disney is a factor. I want them to stay forever as I feel they can contribute to the series lore and characters if they are allowed. If Disney was axed I would certainly love the series a lot less, but I don't know if that would be a deal breaker with me. Kingdom Hearts is a Disney property.

the red monster

Awards
If nomura steps down i guess? nomura is the reason kingdom hearts story is so addicting if you ask me. without him it won't be the same. i love all his crazy ideas.
the other option which i think will never happen, is if the gameplay stops being fun. but since KH3 i'm not worried about it anymore. ReMind was the peak of the series for me.

senninichigo

Awards
If the series continues gatcha games with the most important story updates and a big gap between japanese and global versions then I just wouldn't put money into the games and watch everything to be caught up for the next mainline game. Also KH3 not having things other main titles did (coliseum, repeat items for new tasks like portals, dumb abilities like unision donald and goofy) was a real letdown but if the games are still fun action games then I'll continue to play.

THAT BEING SAID.....if they start going down the pokemon path of simplifying the games to make them easier for newcomers (lots of just press triangle to AOE and win) and they take out the fun action elements of combo modifiers which KH3 really lack a good balance of then I'll start checking out the same way DDD made me start to check out of the series. I think having a new protaganist for side games and being able to fully customize your combos (kinda like BBS combo finisher tree but for combos) is a good way to revitalize the series after the over simplification of KH3.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
If Nomura was somehow removed from the project or they start releasing works without his involvement.

I may not like everything he puts out, but I'll still tolerate it.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Ok forget what I said, THAT. THAT RIGHT THERE? THAT'S What's going to get me to FUCKING leave. After all the things Xehanort's done, and they'll not ONLY revive him through the power of BS, but REDEEM him. Into a good person, like we're supposed to be like the other dumbasses in the game and forgive him for everything he's fucking done. NO. NOT EVERY DAMN CHARACTER NEEDS TO BE REDEEMED. Might as well strip away Maleficent's 'Mistress of All Evil' title and redeem her too so she could be the Mistress of Sunshine and Rainbows!
Personally, I think of these two Xehanorts as their own characters. It's pretty clear they are setting him up to be the Anakin of the series, anyways. DR and whatever else comes is the KH equivalent of The Clone Wars or something.

I don't think he'll be revived, but I absolutely think everything we are seeing is meant to explain his actions and make him sympathetic.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
THAT BEING SAID.....if they start going down the pokemon path of simplifying the games to make them easier for newcomers (lots of just press triangle to AOE and win) and they take out the fun action elements of combo modifiers which KH3 really lack a good balance of then I'll start checking out the same way DDD made me start to check out of the series.
That already happened. KH2--triangle to win, everything dumbed down to a preschooler level to the point every environment was just walk straight forward so the new players won't get lost, lol. That game is still the easiest one in the series for me and I'll always hate it for that dumbing down aspect. If Re:MIND really made KH3 more KH2-esque as someone wrote above, then I guess it's a blessing in disguise that I can't play DLC.

Like above, hasn't that...already happened? Maleficent and Pete (and Hades) have been treated like friendly goons since midway through KH2. Nobody stays pure evil in this series, not even Disney's most evil villains.

As for the possibility of Xehanort returning, I agree--NOPE. But if it's returning in a different capacity, who knows. It would be sort of interesting for Ansem, Xemnas, Young Xehanort and/or Young Eraqus to just be wandering around Twilight Town or Radiant Garden as NPCs rather than villains or characters with some kind of importance to the storyline. It would be unbelievable that a mob wouldn't string them up, but the same's true for Even, Ienzo, etc.

Last edited:
Back