• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

What would you change about KH:DDD story?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

sephydark

Awards
I think the most obvious improvement for DDD would be to take Soras TWTNW storyline about learning about all the characters who are connected to his heart and spread it out throughout the game: he can start having nightmares about Riku and Kairi as soon as he meets YMX in Traverse Town, and then during the second visit to Traverse Town he meets Roxas and begins to catch glimpses of the others. This would help a lot with the pacing issues since now TWTNW would be just for the Xehanort revelations and wrapping up, and the other characters would get a little more time to breathe. I think it would also help with Sora's character, since wanting to save all the characters would give him an actual motivation to run into Xehanort's trap.

Now that would lead to a problem with Riku's side seeming weak. Unfortunately, he doesn't have much to expand into a full storyline, but I think that you could do something with his knowledge that something's fishy. Maybe he could be more conscious of that than he seems in the actual game, and become so focused on finding out Xehanort's plans that he ignores fighting Dream Eaters and is unable to do his part in stopping Sora's nightmares.

Oh, yeah, and have Kairi actually do something. She doesn't need to be a third playable character, but she definitely should show up before the post-credits scene and contribute to the plot in some way.

SuperNova

Awards
Scrap the entire time travel plot, make Sora start learning about the others in his heart earlier in the game so that he knowingly runs into Xehanort's trap, have Riku try and serve as his dream eater companion (like an actual party member) but fail to protect him thus adding more stakes to the TWNTW plot at the end. And for the love of Kingdom Hearts, GIVE KAIRI SOMETHING TO DO.

Zackarix

Awards
I'd combine it with 3 because they're two halves of one plot.
Yes, this would be the simplest and easiest fix for both games. As this tumblr post points out DDD and KH3 are a complete story with a beginning, middle, and end. Separating this story into two left both individual parts weaker. And there are some inconsistencies between KH3 and DDD that probably wouldn't exist if they had been released as one.

But assuming that in a world where they didn't decide to cut out KH3's first act, if the KH 3DS game still existed what would the plot be? BbS V2 is the easiest answer, but there was probably a reason it wasn't greenlit in the first place.

What if DDD was a young Xehanort and Eraqus game? You could keep a lot of the same mechanics and even the plot of going through the worlds for the mark of mastery. Exploring Xehanort's history could set up KH3 while still being self-contained. And of course, barring retcons there isn't a girl who is glaringly being omitted from the plot.

Guernsey

Awards
That would have been a fantastic idea. It would finally explain Xehanort's backstory and how it will play a role in the current arc. I am not sure if fans would go that route either.

D

Deleted member 246005

@Zackarix
I'd give Eraqus a sister and make her the third part of the trio.

@Guernsey
That's depends on how interested fans were in Xehanort and his past. Or how patient they were with the prequels. The Xehanort saga spends alot of time setting up the plot than having Sora go do it. So I think people were just getting antsy waiting for something to happen.

redcrown

Awards
I'm not sure I would majorly change anything besides the time travel and recusent sigil lore (which felt randomly attached and unneeded just to expand the lore for it's own sake). I've said before I think the concept of the Sleeping Realm, worlds, and power of dreams was a wasted and underemphasized idea that should have been used to facilitate the return of Xehanort, TAV and the others. It would have felt more natural and far less convoluted.

Also I would scrape the idea of Norting entirely (or redo it as something thats takes a lot effort to do to a character). It really reduced the individuality of a lot of the secondary characters and really robbed them of the little personality they had that could have been explored more in KH3. It also lessened the impact and drama of only Terra and Riku (and potentially Sora) having been inflicted by the corruption of Xehanort. I would have made Sora's fall to darkness more personally tied to the hidden emotions and insecurities he holds which Xehanort would take advantage of (which I guess did happen but I would have explored Sora's "dark side" more), to either make him a vessel or simply just get him out of the way of his return. Along with this, scrape the New Organization 13 entirely or at least cut it in half.

Okay looking back on this these really are major changes.

Besides that:

-Improve Notre Dame by making Frollo not laughably silly and a true world boss. Also have the worlds respective Disney villain as the world boss instead of a generic Nightmare.

-Add more of the Disney world's side characters to make them feel more full (e.g. The Coachman, Honest John and Gideon in Pinocchio) since too many npcs wasn't an option on the hardware of the 3DS. Also not repeat Monstro for Riku's side and have him in Prankster's Paradise confronting mentioned side characters.

-Cut out Tron completely as it really did not fit the aesthetic of the game at all and just outright clashed with it. Save it for KH3 and replace it with something that complimented DDD's use of obscure/underrated animated films.

-Maybe add scenes of the TWEWY characters just having more casual interactions with Sora and Riku.

-Have Riku's Noctis haircut on his KH2 model in Yen Sid's Tower since it would get rid the unexplained Barber Shop Demon Tower change in KH3 (plus the bangs and rat tail was a terrible haircut)

And finally:
Don't write Sora as unintelligent. Stop tearing him down just so Riku can look better

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 246005

I’d just add Kairi. Have her train with Merlin as a tutorial, then join the exam proper with Sora and Riku.
You could give her Sora's left behind anxiety/insecurities.

It fits her better because that's what already happened.

D

Deleted member 246005

If you want Kairi to have a bigger role in DDD, Cryptonix02's rewrite got you covered. ;).

Last edited by a moderator:

Zackarix

Awards
ALSO, ya'll remember in the KH1 thread, the thread that started it all, when I suggested to just...fucking scrap Wonderland? In all honesty, Wonderland had no reason to be...such a constant returning world in this series. Rather, DDD would've been the PERFECT place to put it. Is it not fitting that a world conjured through Alice's dreams is placed in the game on the topic of sleep & dreams? I'd honestly say replace Wonderland with Notre Dame.
I'll take your "the dream world should have been saved for the dream game" comment and raise you a "the dream characters should have been in the dream game" suggestion. That's right, Tidus, Jecht, and even Zanarkand itself would have been right at home in a game about dreaming worlds!

Of course, the problem with both of these suggestions is that there's no way they were planning so far ahead when making KH1 so there was no reason to hold those elements back for a later game.

D

Deleted member 246005

I'll take your "the dream world should have been saved for the dream game" comment and raise you a "the dream characters should have been in the dream game" suggestion. That's right, Tidus, Jecht, and even Zanarkand itself would have been right at home in a game about dreaming worlds!

Of course, the problem with both of these suggestions is that there's no way they were planning so far ahead when making KH1 so there was no reason to hold those elements back for a later game.
You could still do a Zanarkand world. Just have it be a sleeping world on its own. Jecht could still be there. You could focus on him as a bored pro athlete who wanted a new challenge but never got to have one.

Shuyin and Lenne might work better but they aren't from Zanarkand. Although they could be in this universe.

I'd have Cabletown and Union X as a world. Sora/Riku/Kairi take the place of the player character. You get to join a different union and go through a slightly altered version of events.

Guernsey

Awards
Zanarkand makes sense as it was a dream world in FFX. The question is: how would Zanarkand fit in Kingdom Hearts? It isn't though Kingdom Hearts is that dark and it was also at war with Bevelle if I am not mistaken.

D

Deleted member 246005

Zanarkand makes sense as it was a dream world in FFX. The question is: how would Zanarkand fit in Kingdom Hearts? It isn't though Kingdom Hearts is that dark and it was also at war with Bevelle if I am not mistaken.
The realms of sleep is essentially Limbo for worlds that haven't come back during KH1's ending.

Zanarkand fell during the Heartless invasion before KH1. That's all you need as an explanation.

92stars

Awards
two things:
1. Add Kairi. I do not need to explain why kairi should be in this game.
2. Get rid of the drop gauge, it's so stressful.

Back