• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

What would you change about KH2?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Im sure everyone on this forum is aware that Kh2 was a disappointment for a lot of fans. Personally i liked the game, but i acknowledge that a lot of the complaints were valid. Despite how i feel about kh2, im curious how other fans wanted kh2 to be. So im asking you guys if any one of you were given the opportunity, what would you fix about kh2? Character, wise, story wise, and gameplay wise.

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards
-The Disney world plots.
Most of the plots for Disney worlds were taken straight out of the movie rather than having its own story that fits in with KH's overarching plot. It was like watching watered down versions of Disney movies were this random people walked on set but they just kept filming around them. Whenever I went to a Disney world I felt that I'd rather go watch the movie it was based on then continuing the game.

-The prologue.
The more I think about the prologue for KH2 the more I realize...it was really, really stupid. I wasn't bored my it like some because I like the mystery and I felt bad for Roxas and all but when you really think about the whole data Twilight Town situation, Roxas being digitized, and the reasoning behind it all it's pretty silly.

-The outfits.
As far as KH is concerned I don't think they were Nomura's best work. Sora's outfit was just way too busy. It had shoulder pads and (faux?)chaps. SHOULDER PADS! AND CHAPS! I see "bad ass" tossed around a lot for this outfit...

Kairi's outfit was slutty. YOU! Yes you! I see you over there getting ready to type out your defense. I don't buy any of the excuses, her outfit is slutty. The only thing I can say about it in her defense is that her KH1 outfit was rather skimpy too. No ones complains about it though because the design fit and the reason the design fit was because Kairi looked like she was ready to spend the day playing on the beach...since she was. In KH2 she looked more she was ready to go cruising the city at night with Shiki. It was urban and thematically didn't fit.

Riku's outfit was boring. It didn't bother me so much but there was something about it that was kind of meh. I like it better than his KH1 outfit (*shudders* Waders...) but it could have been better.

Namine's I also can't complain too much about because it has symbolic and plot reasons behind it but if I had to nit pick, yes, it too is rather slutty and plain.

I think Roxas is the only one who's I liked okay.

-Sora
Dear Sora
You're an idiot. kthnxbye!

-Kairi
Dear Kairi
Why were you in this game?

-Riku
Dear Riku
...You were in this game?

-Drive Forms
I didn't dislike the drive forms but they were way too over powered. Limit Form especially was like going into Deus Ex Machina mode. They needed to be toned down a little.

-The localization.
It was pretty bad. Misspellings, translation errors, even voices coming out of the wrong characters. There are mistakes that confuse fans till this day.

-The World That Never Was
I was disappointed by this world. Since it was at the very end it looks like the plot tried to wrap up, and even bring in way too many things at once and I think they need to be more spread out. We had SRK reunited, Mickey was found for the final time, Ansem the Wise was revealed, Namine was revealed as Kairi's Nobody, Kairi wielded a Keyblade, Riku turned back to normal, Roxas and Sora had their meeting, etc. There was just way too much going on and nothing settled. Plot points were being wrapped up at break neck speed and I think some of them should have been wrapped up early.

-Game play
XXXXXXXXXXXX Triangle XXXXXXXX Triangle XXXXXXXXXXXXXX Triangle.

-Dodge Roll
Why!? ;_;

-Summons
You are useless! ಠ_ಠ

-Cure magic
Cure magic, why you take all my MP!? T~T

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Im sure everyone on this forum is aware that Kh2 was a disappointment for a lot of fans.
I am unaware of it being a disappointment for a lot of fans.
I see people say it was inconsistent at times or too easy, but I also see people say it was a good enough game.

THAT ASIDE;
I would change a few things.
-Not censor it.
-Make "Get up on the hydra's back" occur less often.
-Fix the summons(they were too awkward to use)
-Make the Disney worlds relevant.

even voices coming out of the wrong characters
Woah, when did this happen?

Ruran

Awards
Woah, when did this happen?

When HPO+R were at the train station in Sunset Terrace Pence spoke and Hayner's voice came out. XD

@0:47
[video=youtube;mklkshzkrys]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=mklkshzkrys#![/video]

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
HOLY CRAP HOW DID I NEVER NOTICE THAT THAT IS SO WEIRD OMG

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
When HPO+R were at the train station in Sunset Terrace Pence spoke and Hayner's voice came out. XD

@0:47
[video=youtube;mklkshzkrys]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=mklkshzkrys#![/video]
YOU RUINED MY LIFE

WayToDusk

I pretty much liked this game the way it was, but there were a couple worlds I had issues with. In the Pridelands, the facial animations pretty much sucked. The expressions used in certain cutscenes were okay, but take Mufasa's death, for instance. Young Simba looks like he's smiling! As much as I love that world, they certainly could have done a better job... And don't get me started on Atlantica... *shudders* The only redeeming part of that world was Ursula's Revenge, and even that was pretty iffy.

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
I'd have it run on the KH1 gameplay engine with a lot of new bells and whistles, all new keyblades, and overhaul the entire plot and world set-up.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
I'm not sure if this was the fault of the localization, but the dialogue in KH2 was horrifically terrible. The dialogue in KH has never been award-winning, mind you but I feel that Days and CoM, regardless of how they stack up as GAMES in comparison, have better dialogue than it for the most part, excluding some obvious exceptions (aka WHO WILL I HAVE ICE CREAM WITH NOW). My sister has been playing KH2 so i've been seeing the game again and it's honestly by far my biggest complaint with it...well, that and the general plot.

Frankly, Organization XIII never feels like a super huge urgent threat because you don't see them enough and the plot is poorly spaced. You don't even get to find out most of the members' names through dialogue because ultimately they don't matter (well, sort of. Xigbar matters later on in BBS and such) and are just there to be fangirl fodder. Instead of actually focusing entirely on the Organization and how they are a legitimate threat, the plot juggles that with Maleficent and Pete causing trouble in the Disney worlds, but their antics are just pants-on-head retarded and they shouldn't have been in the game whatsoever, especially considering how they turned Maleficent, of all things, into a comic relief character. I didn't feel any urgency or tension when I finally got to TWTNW. The game should have only had Organization XIII. Also, those scenes in KH2FM where they have meetings in the big room should have been in the game from the beginning. That was one of the main reasons (or THE REASON) why the Organization worked in CoM, you got to see their inner politics and each member was memorable and had a role to play in the grand scheme of things. They are nice additions after the fact, but it was really too little too late by that point.

Happyfunshineman

Awards
The gameplay in this one is just so bad to me. Well, ok, I do have fun with this game its just not a rewarding kind of fun.

Reaction commands: lame. Sure they look cool but that's no reason to give me instant kill attacks that I can literally get by standing still.

No dodge roll: What kind of action game doesn't give you a dodge roll. It still confuses me in the original KH why it took so long to get the move. Sure you can bring up wisdom form's quick run ability but that takes forever to get! You need to level up wisdom form by killing heartless and whenever there seems to be a good opportunity to level it up Donald and Goofy leave the party for NO REASON (though you can easily level forms in the underworld).
Wait, FM has a dodge roll........oh wait, its a growth ability.

A couple bosses where annoying as well. Xahldin for example was just way to OP. It was pretty much there to show you Mickey can come to your rescue, which he did...A LOT. Dymex would have been one of my favorite bosses as I actually used a little thinking with him. Its all ruined by his water clone move. I can see how that would be a build up for a powerful attack but instant death...that's just bad game design.

The story is mixed in my opinion. I don't hate it, but it dosn't come close to my favorite KH story.

Basically the story takes why to long to realize that its Kingdom Hearts TWO and not Kingdom Hearts ONE. Lets find Riku and the king...how does this sound familiar. The game teases us by showing the organization members early making us think that something mysterious is going on in the background but we're not really going to see them again until the game is 2/3 done (with a couple exceptions). Until then its just heading from one Disney world to the next following the movie scripts as close as possible. BORING!
I have mixed opinions on the hole Roxas thing. Though I like the story to it, its way to long of an opening.

Love you guys so much though. Every one I know in real life thinks kingdom hearts 2 is the best in the series. In fact to most of them its one of their favorite games period. I even made a new friends a couple weeks ago that has played all the portable entries and thinks KH2 is the best. WHAT IS WRONG WITH THE WORLD!

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
As wehrmacht said, the organization was greatly underused. We hardly got to see them, nor witness how they functioned as a group. They should have been used in the same fashion as COM.

LightUpTheSky452

Haddyn Slayer
Awards
Website
oveliagirlhaditright.tumblr.com
You know, for the longest time, I thought KHII was my favorite game in the series. Now I realize it was always KHI, but I still really love KHII. Also, I think it gets too much hate sometimes, when really it's the start of what the series is now. But, then again, that might be a lot of the reason people don't like it. But as much as some people wish the series was more like what KHI had started, the fact is it went in another direction, and KHII is probably the most "KH-y" game because of that, as well as what the others should have strived to be somewhat more like (BbS, Days, Coded, and DDD, I mean).

Anyway, as much as I liked KHII, I do think things could have been handled differently. Basically, Sora should have been smarter, the Disney worlds more relavent (and not have borrowed so much from the movies) and not disjointing like Atlantica was (though I did enjoy that world), the game should have been more difficult, and Kairi should have been implemented better or more.

Ugh. Her being ignored at the end of KHII still bugs me, and the Sora and Riku reuinion, that made the entire fandom think they were gay, when that scene was about Sora's joy for ALL OF THEM HAVING REUNITED.

Also, the prologue should have been better or shorter, and Malefincent and Pete should have posed more of a threat.

And more SoKai would have always been nice:)

But other than that, I really did like KHII. The story was probably my favorite in the series, actually. I liked the things that were questioned in it, like the existance of Nobodies. The game was slightly more mature than its predecessor, and the twelve-year-old in me ate it up. Even though I still prefer KHI, I somehow feel like KHII took things up a notch, and made the games a lot more epic; therefore, I think it deserves more love than it gets.

Also, somewhat more seriously (and this is actually more about KHIIFM and II.5 Remix), one thing I do hope they change in II.5 is the inclusion of all of the Days scenes in KHIIFM. I can already feel people throwing stuff at me—because what is FM without those scenes?—but it was fine having them included before Days came out, and we didn't know a lot about the Riku and Roxas fight. Now, though...

Now it's sort of overkill to sit throught them again, when if you're replaying the games in chronological order, you just saw those scenes at the end of your last playthrough. And honestly, they did slow things down a bit (like when instead of Riku simply telling Sora about his fight with Roxas, he drug things out by having a flashback of it, and then still explained it).

I mean, I get why Square'd leave those scenes in (as not everyone might get or play both collections), but since I am getting both, I'd rather just watch them as they happen in Days, instead of washing them squished into KHII. Does that make sense? (Especially since the Days ones are more accurate, anyway, as the KHII ones have no mention of Xion in them).

Anyway…

Last edited:

Happyfunshineman

Awards

Anyway, as much as I liked KHII, I do think things could have been handled differently. Basically, Sora should have been smarter, the Disney worlds more relavent (and not have borrowed so much from the movies) and not disjointing like Atlantica was (though I did enjoy that world), the game should have been more difficult, and Kairi should have been implemented better or more.

You know I always found Atlantica in KH2 so weird. I mean, in KH1 King Triton was the only in the Disney worlds you visited who knew about the Keyblade (besides the villains).

You go back there in KH2 and your like 'I wonder if we're going to find out how King Tr-UNDER THE SEA. UNDER THE SEA. UNDER THE WATER, THATS WHERE ITS HOTTER. TAKE IT FROM MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.'

SeekerofLight

You know I always found Atlantica in KH2 so weird. I mean, in KH1 King Triton was the only in the Disney worlds you visited who knew about the Keyblade (besides the villains).

You go back there in KH2 and your like 'I wonder if we're going to find out how King Tr-UNDER THE SEA. UNDER THE SEA. UNDER THE WATER, THATS WHERE ITS HOTTER. TAKE IT FROM MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.'

I actually didn't mind the singing in KH2 (although now that you mention it I do see the concept there) the only thing I wish they would have done is instead of writing the original songs out of it (finny fun?) that they would have used the original soundtrack for the songs. Granted I'm a nostalgia guy, but still...

Gram

Banned
Awards
Ruran posted pretty much what i'd change especially on the story buuuuuttt so not to be lazy~

Worlds:
Ruran said:
Most of the plots for Disney worlds were taken straight out of the movie rather than having its own story that fits in with KH's overarching plot. It was like watching watered down versions of Disney movies were this random people walked on set but they just kept filming around them. Whenever I went to a Disney world I felt that I'd rather go watch the movie it was based on then continuing the game.
Ruran pretty much said how i felt about the worlds of kh2.

Difficutly:
OMFL It was way to easy!I didnt even USE magic or any kind of strategy for this game. Drive forms didnt help.

I'd add a bit of what kh2fm had. Its critical mode actually fixed this problem.

Drive Forms & Summons:
Summons were useless.
Drive forms on the other hand were cool and fun yes (love limit and anti) however they only made the game easier than it already was. Like magic and summons you didnt need them.

If i could change it would probably remove summons and drives in favor of a sync blade ability that can only be used temporarily like drives.

Time Skip:
Would've kept it less than a year since CoM cause at this point we minds well have never had kh2 sora since he's only been used for one game :x plus i prefer the kh1 models of the main characters more.

Atlantica:......never again......
there is no fixing it just take it out.

Gummi Ship:
Probably in a minority but i hated the gummi levels just made going thru the filler worlds of the game even more tedious.

Would be no levels for me~

Sora:
Why'd you get so dumb bro? WHY?

Not sure if theres a change that could be done to fix him at this point Ծ_Ծ

Dialogue:
It was like the entire script was "Sora, Donald, Goofy!" repeated over and over.

I'd change it....not really sure how probably try to get someone who wrote kh1 back on for it.

Pete & Maleficent:
Her return never really explained and she's been a joke of a villain since. Pete.....just die......

My Change: they'd never be there.

Plot:
It was basically just jumping for one world to another hoping for a Org scene =/ it didnt focus on the org who was supposed to feel like a threat. The very second you took control of sora it lost the mystery it had when you was roxas.

My change: Same as dialogue.

100 Acre Wood:
Why as this in the game?
Tron would've been a more fun minigame world imo.

Reaction commands:
....Part of the reason the game was so damn easy. Never want them back.

Last edited:

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
Kairi:
Not only do you get kidnapped, you're given a keyblade and you still get tackle down by heartless and require saving! You're in three maybe five scenes total but, you really have no reason to be involved.

Riku:
I'm sorry but, I really don't like your outfit.

Sora:
I love you but, you say some cheesy things.

Summons:
Weren't really useful and I didn't really like having to use them.

Alantica: It was sad to think that I actually had to go through that world without knowing I didn't have to playthrough it. I really disliked the singing but, it probably appeals to younger fans. Could of been done so much better.

Demyx: It'd have been nice if they pronounced your name once because, I still don't know how to say it.

Diffculty:
It was pretty easy to playthrough proud mode. The reaction commands weren't necessary.

Mini Games:
Dont need them & Don't like them. Pretty much filler.

Dialogue:
It really needs fixing in some places.

(I'll have more when I think up some more stuff.)

Last edited:

The_Echo

Anti-SENA Operative
Awards
The only possible complaint I have is that, yes, Kingdom Hearts II is too easy. A few months ago I did Proud Mode for the first time, and it didn't feel any different from Standard until the Xemnas fight. Maybe Critical Mode is what I'm looking for.

Other than that, game's basically perfect.

I don't see why people are complaining about the "mash X" gameplay. Like... that's... that's how the combat is in every single game. But only if you decide to play like that.

Ruran

Awards
The only possible complaint I have is that, yes, Kingdom Hearts II is too easy. A few months ago I did Proud Mode for the first time, and it didn't feel any different from Standard until the Xemnas fight. Maybe Critical Mode is what I'm looking for.

Other than that, game's basically perfect.

I don't see why people are complaining about the "mash X" gameplay. Like... that's... that's how the combat is in every single game. But only if you decide to play like that.

The button mashing is a problem in almost every game but to varying degrees. It's a problem in particular for KH2 because you don't need to do anything else most of the time, thus, strategy is eliminated. Sure, I could try to change it up by incorporating magic while I fight but magic is useless most of the time. Unless you discover the Magnet+Thunder combo or Reflect+Thunder combo then the game is basically broken. You have Drive Forms but they're a temporary Deus Ex Machina, especially Final Form and again using it breaks the game. Summons are also pretty pointless and are only useful in the Colosseum. Finally, and funny enough, the complaint also largely stems from the game being too easy. There's little to no challenge or strategy needed so fighting most enemies is pretty straight forward.

Sure, I can try and play the game a certain way in an attempt to make it more fun but the fundamental problems are still there and it's not my job to make the game fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back