• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Whatever the cost he's willing to pay it

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Relix

A traveler
Awards
Alright, here me out. It's not much of a theory but more of me making observations and reading too into settings and dialogue.

In Riku's part of the story when he is in the World that Never Was. After he defeated the coated nightmare, Riku descends into darkness. Whether this darkness is his own or the darkness brought on by the nightmare within a nightmare that Ansem the Seeker of Darkness rambles about prior, he finds himself in darkness.

Now we've arrived to a similar setting, or atmosphere. Riku is facing "Ansem the Seeker of Darkness" and they both have this sort of glow about them. The way the conversation even begins is reminiscent of a past conversation: Terra and Master Xehanort's. Now going back to that conversation really fast Terra seems to have a plan of some sort up his sleeve, one that he is willing to pay at any cost. Now what if that cost was to take on Xehanort's form, darkness, what have you and push Riku to get to the point where he is by the end of the game. To hide himself in Riku's heart somewhat subtly, but how would Terra come up with such an idea? Where would he have gotten the confidence to do so? Perhaps he's seen it before or it was done to him? Alluding back to Master Xehanonrt and Terra's conversation and his comment, "Eraqus you sly fox." Eraqus has done this to Terra, maybe he passed on the knowledge on how to do so.

Now back to Ansem... Or Xehanort and Riku. This is post-KH1 Ansem Seeker of Darkness, the one that sleeps in Riku's heart and is, who is assume, pretty much a manifestation of darkness in Riku's heart and not the exact same Xehanort Seeker of Darkness who Riku encountered with the Young Xehanort and the one who was coated and attacked him and the King.

This Ansem appears to Riku after the events of Kingdom Hearts and tempts him, mocks him, guilts him, and pressures him to give in to the darkness. He does so in chain of memories, Riku wrestles with this darkness afterwards and well into Kingdom Hearts 2, taking on his form (which is the only tome we see Riku produce two keyblades by the way, yes the one he handed to Kairi, she didn't produce that. Riku did.), and Riku wrestles with him again in Dream Drop Distance once Riku is faced with self doubt and dire situations brought on by the Xehanorts. Now comes the same old "Xehanort" who confronts Riku and is pressing him to give in to darkness, telling him that the darkness can grant him power, and that he had the power to PROTECT those he cherished (words that Riku and Terra spoke of when they first met).

In this same conversation this "Xehanort" or "Ansem" tells Riku that when Riku saw him in the beginning of the game, he knew something was wrong and dove into Sora's dream without realizing, in the end taking a measure that can ultimately save the two. Because of this "Xehanort"'s presence at just the right moment.

Back to "Xehanort" and Riku's conversation. After "Xehanort" pretty much tells Riku he has failed to protect those he cherished, Riku comments on how the darkness consumed Xehanort and his keyblade. Now, stay with me, Riku just happens to say the following:

Riku: "You know... when I look at you... there's this memory that flashes back. The secret I said I'd keep when I was little. The main reason I kept dreaming about seeing the outside world was ' cause of him."

"Xehanort": "That...is your answer?"

Riku: "Yes. I know the way. Consume the darkness, return it to light."

"Xehanort": "You can try."

Those last couple lines can be interpreted many ways. I won't begin to talk about how I think about it.

Anyways, the guise of Xehanort was used to aid Riku in ways before. Ansem the Wise took on his appearance to help Riku through Castle Oblivion, but Riku soon caught on that the Xehanort he knew was much more dark. Now in this instance Riku is confronted by the Xehanort he is more familiar with but, albeit subtly this time around, he alludes to someone else he made a promise to, as though the closer he gets to Xehanort he identifies who he is more and more. And what I think this "Xehanort " is a part, a remnant, perhaps all of what's left of Terra, embracing his assimilation into Master Xehanort but using it to push Riku to confront the darkness in him, something that he couldn't do, and then overcome it. That is his plan.

Riku just now realizes what he is supposed to do, consume the darkness and return it to light. And now the one who's helped him reach this point urges him to try. It may be far fetched to think that Terra thought this plan out but perhaps it didn't go exactly the way he wanted it to. He probably put his faith in Riku, once Master Xehanort's plan involved Riku giving in to the darkness and caused Riku to lose his way perhaps Terra took it upon himself to put Riku back on the right path, giving Riku the chance to consume the darkness in his heart; something Terra didn't have a chance to do.

To throw in some defense, back-up, reassurance, build my case, what have you:

I recall a question posed to Nomura once:

Birth By Sleep Plot Mysteries Interview said:
-- Is that to say that there's a possibility that within Xehanort's Heartless, the darkness that sleeps in Riku's heart, there might remain something of Terra...?

Nomura: That's also a riddle connected to the next story,* so everyone please use your imagination

I used my imagination.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
*claps*

Very good observations.

Frankly, I thought of the "Ansem" in DDD (Except the one in the dark coat sitting beside MX in the finale) also as subtly less antagonistic and cruel than the "usual" Ansem seen in KH 1 and even parts of CoM.
That's probably the reason Xemnas came over impression-wise as much more evil to me in DDD than Ansem.

Especially in their "glowing heart" conversation it is obvious that Ansem is at least partly berating/chatising Riku instead of outright antagonizing him.

Odium Crop

Banned
Well, Terra is the only one who has been shown to be able to have a lingering will (as far as I know)... Perhaps Eraqus taught him something extra about controlling his heart?

Jesus

Hater-bending
Awards
Forgive me if I don't quite understand, I'm trying to get back into this stuff haha.

Are you saying that terra has planned everything in a way that he could inhabit riku's heart?

gamerobber7

Bronze Member
Awards
Hm that's a good theory. And like you pointed out:
This Ansem appears to Riku after the events of Kingdom Hearts and tempts him, mocks him, guilts him, and pressures him to give in to the darkness. He does so in chain of memories, Riku wrestles with this darkness afterwards and well into Kingdom Hearts 2, taking on his form (which is the only tome we see Riku produce two keyblades by the way, yes the one he handed to Kairi, she didn't produce that. Riku did.)

Riku dual wields in KH2, albeit for a moment, and don't you need two hearts to dual wield (like Roxas and Sora?).

Odium Crop

Banned
Does holding on to Sora's Keyblade and making a combined attack on Xemnas really count as 'dual-wielding'?

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Hm that's a good theory. And like you pointed out:

Riku dual wields in KH2, albeit for a moment, and don't you need two hearts to dual wield (like Roxas and Sora?).

Yes you do, and Riku had two at that time. His own and Ansem SoD's. ;)

Does holding on to Sora's Keyblade and making a combined attack on Xemnas really count as 'dual-wielding'?

The instance of Riku dual-wielding is when he hands Kairi her Keyblade, not in the final battle against Xemnas. :D

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
i never really understood why you need two hearts in order to dual wield if you already have two keyblades. mickey shouldnt have to have two hearts in order to wield both the star seeker and the kingdom d at the same time

Relix

A traveler
Awards
Dual wielding isn't having two keyCHAINS it's having two separate keyblades. What Mickey does with Star Seeker and Kingdom Key D is similar to what Sora does with Kingdom Key, and say, Fenrir or Three Wishes. Same keyblade but the keychain changes appearance, attribute, etc.

Riku physically had two keyblades in his hand when he took on the appearance of the darkness in his heart but that's another theory for another time.

What I'm saying, to answer Nobodiesguard's question, is that Terra being pretty much consumed by Xehanort, latched on to Riku heart in a similar way Eraqus did to him and has pushed Riku to the point where he can truly be a keyblade master and posses the power to protect his friends, something that Terra failed to do. But in helping Riku, he helps thrawt Xehanort, hence benefitting him in the end and pretty much keeping what he said to Xehanort about 10 years ago within their shared heart or what have you.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Dual wielding isn't having two keyCHAINS it's having two separate keyblades. What Mickey does with Star Seeker and Kingdom Key D is similar to what Sora does with Kingdom Key, and say, Fenrir or Three Wishes. Same keyblade but the keychain changes appearance, attribute, etc.

Riku physically had two keyblades in his hand when he took on the appearance of the darkness in his heart but that's another theory for another time.

What I'm saying, to answer Nobodiesguard's question, is that Terra being pretty much consumed by Xehanort, latched on to Riku heart in a similar way Eraqus did to him and has pushed Riku to the point where he can truly be a keyblade master and posses the power to protect his friends, something that Terra failed to do. But in helping Riku, he helps thrawt Xehanort, hence benefitting him in the end and pretty much keeping what he said to Xehanort about 10 years ago within their shared heart or what have you

the kingdom key d and the star seeker are two entirely different keyblades. the kk D is the keyblade of the dark realm

Relix

A traveler
Awards
Mickey summons one keyblade. It takes on the form of either Star Seeker, his first keyblade, or the Kingdom Key D, the keyblade he went to retrieve but just replaces his Star Seeker. They're not two entirely dependent keyblades. You mean to tell me Sora has 12+ distinct keyblades? Not at all.

You're missing the point of the theory anyways. It's not about Riku dual wielding, it comes down to why and who is the "Xehanort" in Riku's darkness or heart and what are said "Xehanort's" motives.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Mickey summons one keyblade. It takes on the form of either Star Seeker, his first keyblade, or the Kingdom Key D, the keyblade he went to retrieve but just replaces his Star Seeker. They're not two entirely dependent keyblades. You mean to tell me Sora has 12+ distinct keyblades? Not at all.

You're missing the point of the theory anyways. It's not about Riku dual wielding, it comes down to why and who is the "Xehanort" in Riku's darkness or heart and what are said "Xehanort's" motives.

sora's keyblade has always been the kingdom key. the forms it took were due to the keychains. the kingdom key D was already a keyblade, not a simple keychain.
it already existed in the dark realm.

i know the nature of dual wielding isnt relevant to the topic of this thread. just wanted to give my two cents when the mechanics of dual wielding was brought up

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
i never really understood why you need two hearts in order to dual wield if you already have two keyblades. mickey shouldnt have to have two hearts in order to wield both the star seeker and the kingdom d at the same time

That's how it works as per the laws of this universe though, and there haven't been any exceptions or cirumventions yet. Mickey is totally within the rules as that he only uses either Star Seeker or KK D depending on his mood since he lacks the second heart to wield them both at the same time.
The synch-blade ability can only be activated with two hearts, that's a rule just like the one that hearts dictate the appearance of a body or that Young Xehanort could only wield a Keyblade because Master Xehanort's consciousness was possessing him.

---

Back to topic though:

That the "Xehanort" inside Riku has influences, if not even is an outright part of Terra, seems very likely to me. As what his motives are I would guess that the end goals are certainly is to finally kick Xehanort out, regain control of himself and get back Aqua and Ven.
To "someday set things right" as Terra promised as the last words of the Lingering Will as well as the single cause that lets him keep fighting.

Relix

A traveler
Awards
sora's keyblade has always been the kingdom key. the forms it took were due to the keychains. the kingdom key D was already a keyblade, not a simple keychain.
it already existed in the dark realm.

i know the nature of dual wielding isnt relevant to the topic of this thread. just wanted to give my two cents when the mechanics of dual wielding was brought up

Oh okay I understand what you mean. However just as Sephiroth pointed out Mickey can only wield one at a time. So Mickey wouldn't exactly be dual wielding like Sora, Roxas, or Riku when he took on Xehanort's appearance but he'd be more like Aqua who wields her own keyblade throughout BBS but is able to wield the Master Keeper. I guess that would be a better comparison. Either way Mickey can't wield both at the same time because those individual keyblade don't belong to two respective hearts.

----

I'm still not entirely sure if the "Xehanort" in Riku's heart is outright Terra just yet. I believe Terra is definitely the driving force though, or at least Terra's motives to defeat Xehanort and take back what he lost is what drives said "Xehanort" and molding Riku into the keyblade master he is now accomplishes just that, even if indirectly.

gamerobber7

Bronze Member
Awards
It would be believed that Eraqus is still with Terra, yes.

Yeah so if some part of Terra is in Riku wouldn't some part of Eraqus be in him too? If so then does that mean that Riku has 4 hearts in him (his own, Xehanort, Terra, and Eraqus) or am I thinking about this too much? :p

Last edited:

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards
I dont think he has xehanort anymore.

Then again, how the **** would he still have Terra without Xehanort?

Zanarkand16

For some reason I was thinking (I am probably completely wrong) that Terra latched on to Riku and then somehow (maybe in order to let Terra leave) Eraqus sacrificed himself and fell into the darkness of Xehanort's heart and possibly became the guardian that Ansem SoD has.

Maybe even from the very beginning Eraqus sacrificed himself and fought so that Terra did not completely lose himself to Xehanort, but ended up losing himself trying to save Terra. But like I said I am most likely wrong.

Last edited:

gamerobber7

Bronze Member
Awards
For some reason I was thinking (I am probably completely wrong) that Terra latched on to Riku and then somehow (maybe in order to let Terra leave) Eraqus sacrificed himself and fell into the darkness of Xehanort's heart and possibly became the guardian that Ansem SoD has.

Maybe even from the very beginning Eraqus sacrificed himself and fought so that Terra did not completely lose himself to Xehanort, but ended up losing himself trying to save Terra. But like I said I am most likely wrong.

That actually sounds really good but they we haven't had a mention of Eraqus since BBS so I guess we'll have to wait for KH3. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back