• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

What's the big problem with KH2 plot wise

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

I my self didn't see much of a problem with the plot of KH2. They only problem i saw was the fact the Disney worlds didnt connect, the shitty side villains, and the bad dialogue. Other than that i didnt see much problem with the plot.

Sempied

Not per say the story, but the scripts for each version were very poor compared to KH1.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
I really liked the ending... I thought it was really sentimental and touching.
I effing hate the Pirates of the Caribbean world though... that one is painful.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
I my self didn't see much of a problem with the plot of KH2. They only problem i saw was the fact the Disney worlds didnt connect, the shitty side villains, and the bad dialogue. Other than that i didnt see much problem with the plot.

That's pretty much what I don't like about it, especially the bad dialogue. Other than that, I think it's fine.

On a side note, imo, Days and BBS had the best scripts in the series ^^

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
The writing was terrible, and they confused the phrases 'deep' or 'intricate' with 'conflagration'.

Vanitas666

I choose the Middle Path
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
the disneyworlds felt like they where just put in there to acctually be there while in KH 1 and BBS they acctually had a purpose in a storyperspective

that and Sora being a bit of an idiot this time around (I still like him but I can't denay the truth) is all for me

Box_ghost

It set up for Days to be made.
Storywise, once you got to RG, you were bored, which was quickly alleviated by the 1000 Heartless battle.
Reuse of Agrabah, Holloween Town, Atlantica.
Changing Hollow Bastion to Radient Gardens.

kh2 was great hands down the only problem was what everyone else said the disney worlds but other than that it was great especially towards the end

Silverslide

need some more candy cane
Many of the problems have been said already. But I have another one:

The Orginization was pretty bland :/ We just fight these people without knowing anything about them, some background on them would be nice, even in Days there was little to no development on em.

Malisteen

To me the biggest problem with KHII's plot was clutter. Mixing in all the Science Fictiony elements with the Fantasy elements of the original created thematic clutter, while all the unnecessary plot details and retcons, particularly the whole Ansem/Xehanort thing, cluttered up narrative when compared to the first games coherency and focus. My other main complaint is badass decay for Riku and Axel, who went from ambitious, pro-active characters to, well, the opposite of that. The over-emphasis on the male friendships also caused some issues, going so far as to call the characters' sexualities into question. Which would have been fine if it was intentional, we could use some more openly homosexual protagonists in video games. But it wasn't intentional, which makes it hilarious, which in turn distracts from the emotional drama the creators were aiming for. And my final minor quibbles are a sub-par script, and failing to use Organization XIII to their full potential.

If that long diatribe comes off pretty negative, it's only because you specifically asked for the problems with KH2's plot. I actually like the game overall, including the plot. While it has it's flaws, I think there's also a lot of strengths in there, and for every lame element there's an awesome moment that still makes the story worth experiencing.

scubasteve

Banned
Awards
oh boy, where to begin...

• disney and final fantasy getting shafted for poopy organization fellers (i don't give a flying patooty what people say, disney and final fantasy ARE what make this series so popular).
  • nobodies -- stupid concept, the heartless were a perfectly fine enemy.
  • the organization in general; we could have been fine with like four or five members, not fcuking thirteen.
  • stupid xehanort twist -- an episodic series would have been quite alright.
  • implying that sora is gay for riku. it's not true by any means, but the way their friendship is written in this game is terrible.
  • axel. no, not because he is significantly less cool than in chain of memories, but because his friendship with roxas suffers the same problems as sora and riku's. i know they're not REALLY gay for each other, but the writing does not help prove that. days somewhat redeems his originally stupid motives in kh2, but that doesn't change the fact that his friendship with roxas seems like one giant yaoi-fest.
  • sora/kairi relationship handled very poorly. once again, bad writing makes it seem like sora cares more about riku than kairi, which is just heavily untrue.
  • nomura trying to shove way too many ideas into one series. very cluttered, as the above poster put rather nicely.

but the biggest problem, most of all, is definitely the script. nomura could have easily transformed this into a very phenomenal sequel. in another world, the organization could have been a great idea, the nobodies would have been fine, and the characterization could have been outstanding, but instead, nomura focused on shitty melodrama and convoluted ideas. i don't respect writers who try to solve the previous games' mysteries by creating more mysteries. nothing wrong with a well crafted kudzu plot, but nomura probably should have thought things through a little better. anyone who believes he has been planning things from the very beginning is sadly mistaken. he's merely using a very common writing technique, and is doing so in a very choppy manner, i might add.

let me just leave by saying that the game isn't bad by any means. i actually somewhat like it, but only because underneath all the crap, there is a mildly entertaining story to be told here. you just kind of have to pretend you're writing the script and not nomura.

hey, at least its plot isn't as bad as days', but that's for another thread. :)

The Organization sucked as villains. Period. That and the lack of much connection to the worlds.

Anyways Steve covered it up.

Gram

Banned
Awards
oh boy, where to begin...

• disney and final fantasy getting shafted for poopy organization fellers (i don't give a flying patooty what people say, disney and final fantasy ARE what make this series so popular).
  • nobodies -- stupid concept, the heartless were a perfectly fine enemy.
  • the organization in general; we could have been fine with like four or five members, not fcuking thirteen.
  • stupid xehanort twist -- an episodic series would have been quite alright.
  • implying that sora is gay for riku. it's not true by any means, but the way their friendship is written in this game is terrible.
  • axel. no, not because he is significantly less cool than in chain of memories, but because his friendship with roxas suffers the same problems as sora and riku's. i know they're not REALLY gay for each other, but the writing does not help prove that. days somewhat redeems his originally stupid motives in kh2, but that doesn't change the fact that his friendship with roxas seems like one giant yaoi-fest.
  • sora/kairi relationship handled very poorly. once again, bad writing makes it seem like sora cares more about riku than kairi, which is just heavily untrue.
  • nomura trying to shove way too many ideas into one series. very cluttered, as the above poster put rather nicely.

but the biggest problem, most of all, is definitely the script. nomura could have easily transformed this into a very phenomenal sequel. in another world, the organization could have been a great idea, the nobodies would have been fine, and the characterization could have been outstanding, but instead, nomura focused on shitty melodrama and convoluted ideas. i don't respect writers who try to solve the previous games' mysteries by creating more mysteries. nothing wrong with a well crafted kudzu plot, but nomura probably should have thought things through a little better. anyone who believes he has been planning things from the very beginning is sadly mistaken. he's merely using a very common writing technique, and is doing so in a very choppy manner, i might add.

let me just leave by saying that the game isn't bad by any means. i actually somewhat like it, but only because underneath all the crap, there is a mildly entertaining story to be told here. you just kind of have to pretend you're writing the script and not nomura.

hey, at least its plot isn't as bad as days', but that's for another thread. :)

best post ever^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
wish we could emial nomura this.

Chrono Mizaki

Banned
The promise was that it was supposedly longer than Kingdom Hearts wheras in fact, it was just a bit longer than KH2 instead of the promised "it's twice as long". To make matters worse, pacing was horrendous and that all of the world should not have been reused as some of the second visits weren't needed. When you think about it, if you had to cut out the useless fodder, Kingdom Hearts II would have been shorter than Kingdom Hearts, but in my opinion would be much better recieved.

So yeah, too much padding was one of them. The script added salt to the wounds.

All in all: Square-Enix, sack your writers and hire some new ones. Better yet, hire some western writers since they seem to be far more experienced than the writers you currently have. Even Daisuke was a disaster when it came to Final Fantasy XIII.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back