• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

What's the deal with the black coats

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.
Awards
Been playing KH for over a decade now and I just realized I have no idea about the origin or the reasoning behind the black coats. I'm sure Nomura has some unnecessary and convoluted explanation for them but I wondered if any other fans could give me the dumbed down explanation.

Why does Mickey have a black coat?
How does Mickey get his coat with the ears? (does he have a personal tailor? lol)
How does Riku get a coat?
Why does Riku need a coat?
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Are human looking nobodies born wearing the coat?
And finally
Spoiler Spoiler Show

SOMEONE EXPLAIN TO ME THIS COAT LOGIC!!!!!

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
The black coats trace back to the time of Kingdom Hearts X - the cloak is created to protect its wielder from the forces of darkness. It can also shield you from detection, as DiZ explains in Re:CoM when he gives Mickey and Riku their cloaks.

Ansem may have had one of those cloaks under his robes the whole time, hence when the blast of Kingdom Hearts sent him to the realm of darkness - he was able to survive because of it. I think these robes have to be obtained or handed down, so Aqua wouldn't have just had one or pulled it out - it serves the same purpose as the keyblade armor she sacrificed

Humn nobodies by default don't seem to be born with the cloaks, as we see when Roxas is born in front of the Twilight Town Mansion in KH2 FM, but I dunno, I don't think it's something Nomura cares about

SoulXaldin

Awards
Buddy, don't question the logic. Just accept the fact that the coat makes everyone look super cool and edgy :redface:

vpha1313

Awards
The Black Coat shields the wearer from the more corrupting aspects of the Darkness when traveling the Corridors of Darkness. It still isn't explained how one acquires one but it is seen as early as X Unchained (the Master of Master). I assume it fits according to the body of the wearer by size and shape. Aqua may not have one as she probably doesn't know they even exist and wouldn't know how to acquire one, plus she still has a Keyblade of Light in her possession in the Dark Realm that may already protect her regardless.

Luxu

Awards
I assume that the Black Coats are either full of light, or just really resistant to darkness. But here we go

1) He got it from DiZ, how DiZ managed to get it (or make it) is unknown
2) It most likely matches the wearer
3) DiZ
4) Riku is still effected by darkness during that game (and after). You can see in the credits of CoM (at the end), you can see Riku clench his chest and fall to his knees. Like the Darkness within him is fighting escape, slowly corroding his heart.
6) He probably had it underneath, or his clothes can transform. Like how Xion can change her form against Roxas, Sora's Drive Forms, and the Keyblade Armor.
7) As seen with Roxas, he had to put on the cloak. So I assume they all need to put it on.
8) Because she hasn't made one? And her strong heart, combined with her Keyblade of Light. Most likely acts as a bubble of protection.

DefiantHeart

Awards
It appears to be needed for people whom have darkness in their hearts; as being in darkness for too long, appears to strengthen the darkness in one's heart considerably, eventually corroding their very being away. It appears to transform to fit whomever wears it, as was highly noticeable in the case of Xion's forms. ( Which is another topic I'd like to personally discuss; why Xion's black coat was at first the kind females wear, and then it turned into the male one when she turned into Sora? Shouldn't it be the same coat, as it was still Xion and not Sora wearing it? So this brings up another question... maybe the black coat isn't necessarily fitting to the physical form, but rather the inner self-identity of the wearer? The perception of whether they're male or female, as in the case of Xion.)

It's still kinda hard for me to believe, but Mickey needing a black coat pretty much hints at Mickey having darkness in his heart too. XD But it appears pretty much everyone does, except for the princesses of heart. ( Ventus is an exception, as he had his darkness physically removed.) Riku, because his darkness was already too great, and he was going under cover for Ansem the Wise... black coat was meant to throw off the Organization's pursuit of him.

The Ansem one is really tricky. He mentions he's a "servant of the world" in KH II, so this could tie into the self-identity aspect of the black coat... Ansem identified himself basically as an avenger so his black coat changed to that form, but when he lost all his memories when he returned to the realm of darkness, the black coat also returned to it's default form.

No, humanoid Nobodies aren't born with the coat on, as when Xemnas found Roxas and named him, Roxas was wearing his "casual clothes". With the data we've been presented, it appears black coats were most likely created by the scientists of Radiant Garden... probably as a product of their heartless experiments. This would explain how Riku and Mickey got their's, as they were in contact with Ansem the Wise, whom was once part of that research team and possibly kept some black coats for himself.

As for Aqua, I believe she was able to endure the darkness since her "heart is strong" as she says in 0.2. ( Though even then, Aqua comments to Mickey how "the darkness is getting to her" and she was about to give up, but Mickey found her in time to restore her hope. The only thing that goes against that logic though, is when Sora and Riku got trapped in the realm of darkness at the end of KH 2... by that logic they should've succumbed to the darkness after their exhausting fight with Xemnas, and being broken spirited after realizing they might be trapped there forever. I guess it's because Sora and Riku were basing their strength on being there together, had either of them been by themselves there at that point, we might've seen a sad ending of them disappearing... right before Kairi's letter finally reaching them. Food for thought. XD Alternate dark ending, lol.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back