• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

What's your opinion on the inheretiance ceremony concept?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anagram

Banned
I've always been a bit curious on this one. It's one of two things introduced in BBS that I wasn't fond of. We already had an explanation for keyblades having wielders so the whole thing just felt unnecessary and thrown in to have some since of bond between Terra-Riku and Aqua-Kairi. (you'd think them all just meeting would be enough)

How does everyone else feel about it?

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
I feel like they could have explained it better. Then again that's Kingdom Hearts' charm.

Last edited:

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards
*looks at your other thread*

I'm just going to say right now that I'm in the 0000000.5% of KH fans that didn't like BbS all that much nor a lot of the concepts that it brought to the table.

I'm not fond of the KIC for the reason you mentioned: it not unnecessary. We didn't need an explanation as to why characters can wield when it was already explained why characters can wield. I mostly chalk it up to BbS being a prequel and needing to establish why Terra, Aqua, Ven etc, are important in a series that already had almost half a dozen entries and acting as if they had played a major roll all along, but it's mostly a plot device to help further tie other characters into the story, in BbS's case, Terra and Aqua.

Aside from it being unnecessary I can't help but feel it dampens the characters agency a bit. Sure, the characters still have to prove themselves worthy, the KIC isn't a hax to getting a Keyblade, but it's a "letter of recommendation". It's a metaphoric stamp of approval saying this person is cool without them having to even do anything but exist. At least in Riku's and Kairi's case. Lea at least thought about it and asked, Riku and Kairi were barely out of diapers when fate thought it'd be fun to jerk them around throughout their lives.

IDK, it's one of those things that I think would look cool on paper, the ability for "true masters" to have such sway in fate that they can bestow potential wielders with a seal of approval so maybe if it were better executed I would like it more, but as it is I could have done without it.

Reckard

I'm more concerned about these keyblade master ceremonies and training camps even started. Apparently you can get a keyblade even without someone bestowing it upon you, even if you want to use it for war. The ceremony does kinda make sense for the overall plot though. There wasn't really any reason behind Riku being chosen for the keyblade and not just getting swallowed by darkness before that.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I feel like the inheritance ceremony took the fun out of the mystery behind the Keyblade. I liked it better when we all thought they came to people randomly.

I'm more concerned about these keyblade master ceremonies and training camps even started.

I would't call it training camp. This is more like how typical apprenticeships worked back in the day (and even now...). You seek out a master of the skill you want to know, become their apprentice to train in the art of whatever, then you are tested on your ability to do the thing and one day you become a master.

Apparently you can get a keyblade even without someone bestowing it upon you, even if you want to use it for war.

This has always been a thing. As long as your heart is strong enough, you can wield. If a Keyblade comes to you or not is a different matter entirely.

The inheritance ceremony only ensures that when the time comes (aka, when you prove the strength of your heart), you will definitely call upon a Keyblade.

The ceremony does kinda make sense for the overall plot though. There wasn't really any reason behind Riku being chosen for the keyblade and not just getting swallowed by darkness before that.

At the time of KH1/KH1FM, there really was no need to care about the why behind Riku being the chosen one. We were supposed to accept the fact that Riku, since he was a child, was able to see the keyhole on the door in the cave and that made him the chosen one. He was the brave one, the strong one, the one all of the kids looked up to and wanted to be. Whereas Sora was the not as brave, not as strong, and not as looked up to best friend of Riku's.

The game tries to show that Riku was special compared to Sora before the night of the storm, and Nomura has always been more about leaving things up to the imagination of fans. A mysterious weapon that chose Riku for a mysterious reason before it went to Riku. That was the something he wanted fans to think about.

Joker'sHeartless

Awards
It's not originally my idea, so I can't take full credit, but I thought I'd also bring up the theory about the power of Terra's rhyme.
In BbS, during the KIC, Terra tacks on this little part at the end, "And, you will find me, friend- No oceans will contain you then. No more borders around, or below, or above so long as you champion the ones you love."

Skip ahead a few years, and we see Sora intercept the key that was coming to Riku. While he does take it back, it permanently chooses Sora when he proves his heart stronger (and gives a speech about friendship).

Riku doesn't go on to summon his own keyblade until sometime during 358 Days, while he's fighting to help Naminé restore Sora's memories so they can stop the Organization and return home to Kairi. He's championing the ones he loves.

Is it possible that Terra magically (and unintentionally) set the parameters for Riku to earn his keyblade by adding that part to the inheritance ceremony?

Anagram

Banned
Bump because I'm curious as to what these new kids think of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back