• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Where and when do you think the next Kingdom Hearts will be announced?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
Jump Festa or SE will announce an event in 2022 for a mega KH blowout extravaganza for March.

A project will absolutely release in 2022, though. If they are smart to get the full anniversary logo use, there will also be a new concert tour for 2022/2023 and a bunch of smaller games and projects lined up.
Yeah it'd be odd for them to just skip out on the anniversary year, though not totally unheard of. Didn't they completely ignore some of the FF game's major anniversaries? I guess, KH being Disney's biggest video game series, might help prevent them from ignoring it's 20th.

Awards
It's the actual end.
Is it wrong to think Dark Road got cheated?

Xehanort's backstory shoved onto a mobile idle game, story updates being slower than UX because they only have two flash animators, and now it's just skipping straight to the end because I dunno Square doesn't see any profit anymore.

Zackarix

Awards

Xehanort's backstory shoved onto a mobile idle game, story updates being slower than UX because they only have two flash animators, and now it's just skipping straight to the end because I dunno Square doesn't see any profit anymore.
It's a shame that the rumored Disney+ series wasn't pitched earlier, because it would have been a much better place for Xehanort's backstory. Prequels are a great way to get around continuity lock-out (you don't have to have read a single issue of Fables to understand The Wolf Among Us) and there would have room to develop characters besides Xehanort and Eraqus. But instead Xehanort's history ended up in a failed attempt to extend the life of KHUX and was blatantly being held back by it.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards

The alternative was for DR to not have been greenlit at all, so might as well take what we can get. Remember, Nomura wanted to do a proper Xehanort prequel on consoles but the powers that be wouldn't approve the project, probably because they wanted to get KH3 out the door. DR's story would have never been told had the UX team not offered to tell it themselves.

Awards
The alternative was for DR to not have been greenlit at all, so might as well take what we can get. Remember, Nomura wanted to do a proper Xehanort prequel on consoles but the powers that be wouldn't approve the project, probably because they wanted to get KH3 out the door. DR's story would have never been told had the UX team not offered to tell it themselves.
It just seems like a lose-lose situation.

Either not be greenlit, or be salvaged by the UX team only to be cut short halfway through while we're still in Wonderland.

bambii

Awards
Website
twitter.com
Remember, Nomura wanted to do a proper Xehanort prequel on consoles but the powers that be wouldn't approve the project, probably because they wanted to get KH3 out the door.
Do you remember where/when he said this, by any chance? I’ve heard something of the sort before but would be curious to see the source

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Do you remember where/when he said this, by any chance? I’ve heard something of the sort before but would be curious to see the source

He never says the reason explicitly, but you can connect the dots.

KH3 Ultimania:

—We are interested in why Xehanort would come to such a conclusion.

Nomura: At first, I did want to use a next game to dig down into how Xehanort went from that simple boy playing the chess-like game to an admirer of the darkness. But, if I do that, then the Dark Seeker Chronicle wouldn't have ended with KH3 after all (laughs.) Some ideas had solidified to a degree, but it's shelved for now.

DR launch message:

And maybe you're thinking that's a bit of a reach, but… okay, maybe it's a bit of a reach. However, I had the concept in my head for many years. It got shelved because it never really fit what our team wanted. But around then, I heard from the Union X team that they'd like to do a parallel title with a new protagonist. And, since it seemed there was an unexpected number of Xehanort fans out there, it all came together like it was destined to be. I do tend to believe in destiny.

KingdomKurdistan

Awards

I'm sure they'll get all the necessary stuff in. Constraints always lead to better games for the KH dev teams and writers. And Nomura.

bambii

Awards
Website
twitter.com
I'm noticing that websites with teases for upcoming game anniversaries are becoming more of a thing. Or have they always been a thing? The big talk right now is of course the Persona 25th anniversary coming up in September, for which they just launched a site teasing 7 different announcements. SE also last week launched a site for FFXI's upcoming 20th anniversary in May 2022... which makes me wonder if, and when, we could expect to see something similar pop up for the KH anniversary in March.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
I'm noticing that websites with teases for upcoming game anniversaries are becoming more of a thing. Or have they always been a thing? The big talk right now is of course the Persona 25th anniversary coming up in September, for which they just launched a site teasing 7 different announcements. SE also last week launched a site for FFXI's upcoming 20th anniversary in May 2022... which makes me wonder if, and when, we could expect to see something similar pop up for the KH anniversary in March.
Always. Japanese developers especially love anniversary sites. We've been burned by many over the years lol

bambii

Awards
Website
twitter.com
KH is too big for Disney & Square to ignore a celebration

if they have a lot in store for 2022, they could release an anniversary website I guess
Agreed, and 20 is a big number. If they’re gonna make a site for FF11’s 20th, I’d be a little surprised if KH didn’t get a similar treatment.

Last edited:
Awards
I wouldn't rule it out

KH is too big for Disney & Square to ignore a celebration

if they have a lot in store for 2022, they could release an anniversary website I guess
Wouldn't they have already gotten one ready by now then?

I guess I'm just kinda worried since both of Nomura's comments related to the anniversary sound less like he's sure they'll do something and more like they're hoping to get the chance to do something.

bambii

Awards
Website
twitter.com
Wouldn't they have already gotten one ready by now then?

I guess I'm just kinda worried since both of Nomura's comments related to the anniversary sound less like he's sure they'll do something and more like they're hoping to get the chance to do something.
I definitely share your worries, but I’m not convinced the previous KH anniversaries are a good precedent to look to. The 2010s were a weirdass time for Square, and I’m pretty confident they’ve become a fair bit smarter and more competent in how they leverage, manage, and market their big IPs. KH is a flagship franchise and KH3 was a major success, bringing a lot of new fans into the fold. If the “2020 trailer” from last year is anything to go by, they seem to be aware of this and are planning to capitalize further on the series’ potential. I mean, they’d have to be real idiots not to.

Post-KH3 2022 is a completely different world than development hell 2017 or handheld experimentation purgatory 2012. But even then, remember that DDD was in part marketed as a 10th anniversary release.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
I definitely share your worries, but I’m not convinced the previous KH anniversaries are a good precedent to look to. The 2010s were a weirdass time for Square, and I’m pretty confident they’ve become a fair bit smarter and more competent in how they leverage, manage, and market their big IPs. KH is a flagship franchise and KH3 was a major success, bringing a lot of new fans into the fold. If the “2020 trailer” from last year is anything to go by, they seem to be aware of this and are planning to capitalize further on the series’ potential. I mean, they’d have to be real idiots not to.

Post-KH3 2022 is a completely different world than development hell 2017 or handheld experimentation purgatory 2012. But even then, remember that DDD was in part marketed as a 10th anniversary release.
Yeah but there's always that ever present COVID factor. Whatever plans they had have originally planned can (& probably have) be(en) set back a great deal because of it.

Back