• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Where the series goes from here,

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Soldier

Awards
Hello,

Now this is something that has been stewing in my head for a while, and it's not just spur of the moment; like most things in life, it was gradually built up. Ever since I played KH 1 all the way back in 2005, it defined who I became as a person in more ways than one. It was more than just a game made from a concept conceived in an elevator, it fueled my interest in gaming and honed my reflexes (which I was ill coordinated for growing up, poor hand eye-coordination as a toddler). It was a way for me to connect with my sister when we otherwise wouldn't have anything else to talk about. It also gave me a brief escape when things turned dour (which in my life, I experienced a lot). To say this series means a lot to me is an understatement. I don't know who I'd be without this series in my life.

But then there's the fact that growing up, finding kingdom hearts merchandise/representation was tough. I'm aware that figures were made to promote the first game, and various pins were released but very little afterwards. Which is surprising, given the smorgasbord of merchandise that Disney usually churns out from their properties. I remember seeing a Mickey Mouse figure (play arts kai in organization hood) in a Toys R Us back in 2008 when Ice age 2 was in theatres (I feel old) for 30 bucks, which I regret not purchasing. But aside from that and the games themselves that was it. It wasn't until Diamond Select Toys and the gradual hype for KH 3 that more merchandise was seen in stores like Gamestop or Walmart where I lived that was affordable (at least compared to play arts). Nowadays you're hard pressed to not find any merch at all in your average gamestore/supermarket, even if it is the KH 2 stuff.

Then it all accumulates to the fateful final smash character announced and the internet exploded. Only 2 days away from his release and I'm still finding this hard to believe. With Sora having joined the fight and entered the limelight, more people than ever will learn of Kingdom Hearts. What started as a niche rpg with Disney characters slowly grew to the protagonist joining one of the most popular fighting games in the world. But the question is, where will all this go from here? I'm aware that over in Japan getting merchandise for this series is even easier, and Square's cafe selling exclusive items makes me even more envious of their advantages. Will Disney start producing more goods for us? Will Spirit of Halloween make an Oathkeeper keyblade prop for the KH costumes (yes, they didn't release the oathkeeper, despite having the oblivion and other notable keyblades for 39 USD. Who knows?

Back