• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Who else was shocked that Maleficent wasn't the main antagonist?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Samhain

Bronze Member
She had the most screen time of any antagonist in this game. As a matter of fact "Ansem" only came in the beginning of the game and then showed up near the end. KH1 was so long you didn't even remember "Ansem" from Destiny Islands. So yeah, anyone else was shocked when you first placed this game that it turns out Maleficent wasn't the main antagonist, but it was "Ansem" this brown robed thing who you barely remember from the first part of KH

That was genius

Last edited:

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
The mysterious brown robe dude followed by Leon and Aerith talking about Ansem, my mind instantly went "This Brown Robe guy is Ansem and the real big bad." Back then I was hoping he wasn't because I thought it was too obvious, and that Maleficent was the true big bad to the very end.
Though of course, the real Ansem isn't, but I didn't know that back then. (Though I did think "Ansem" seemed a little young for some wise ruler guy.)

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I actually don't remember what I thought about Maleficent not being the main villain of the game. I always just assumed the robed guy was pretty mysterious and shady and would eventually reappear to do something to Sora. So...Maybe I was ambivalent?

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
I never thought for a minute that Maleficent was the true big bad of KH1. Though, admittedly, I didn't count on Ansem as well. I just assumed when I was first playing the game that a twist was coming that Maleficent wasn't the main villain. And that the real big bad was appear after she was taken down.

Samhain

Bronze Member
Was I seriously the only dumb ass who thought Maleficent was going to be the final antagonist

gamerobber7

Bronze Member
Awards
Was I seriously the only dumb ass who thought Maleficent was going to be the final antagonist

No you're not. I thought she was as well. A lot of games do this now though, revealing the true villain after defeating what you thought was the real one, but at the time of KH1's release I had only seen that happen in one other game (Legend of Dragoon) so I wasn't really expecting it.

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards
I'm in the same boat as Spock. I don't really remember how I felt all that well since it was so long ago, but I'm pretty sure that I was ambivalent to it. Back then I didn't think too much about what happened in stories, I had a "filing" approach to them. Stuff would just happen and I would metaphorically file away the information in my brain and didn't think much or react to what happened. They were just new facts pertaining to the story.

Gram

Banned
Awards
I don't remember exactly myself but I know I wasn't surprised. I took note and remembered the mysterious robed man at the start as well as of Leon's mention of a "wise man" Ansem.
But this is likely because I actually read the Ansem Reports I found trying to figure out as much as I could about the story.

I didn't expect anything like him being the big bad but by the time I got to Maleficent, which had Riku openly an antagonist by that point, I wasn't surprised either.

I guess it's best to say I didn't expect her to be but I wasn't surprised either.

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
I had a suspicion that Mr. Robe Guy was the antagonist back then. He was looking suspicious and his words were enigmatic, and as a kid, I had a tendency to think that sketchy guys were always bad guys (kids can be judgmental, right?), so I wasn't all that surprised to learn that there was a bigger baddie than Maleficent.

Some guy

Since the MC was original, I expected the big bad guy to be the same so no surprise there. However, at that point (on my first playthrough), I totally forgot about robe guy ... "who's that again?" I wondered.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
Count me in as another who has a hard time remembering. I don't think I was surprised though, and if I was it was a mild surprise. Either Riku or the robed man seemed like they would come back to haunt Sora as the endgame. Especially since you meet them before they reveal Maleficent and they both caused the end of Destiny Islands.

JechtShotMK9

Awards
Well, I played Chain of Memories first, so no, I wasn't particularly shocked. I didn't really have any idea who Ansem was or what he had done, though, and I didn't immediately connect the Brown-Robed figure with Ansem.

gamerobber7

Bronze Member
Awards
I don't remember exactly myself but I know I wasn't surprised. I took note and remembered the mysterious robed man at the start as well as of Leon's mention of a "wise man" Ansem.
But this is likely because I actually read the Ansem Reports I found trying to figure out as much as I could about the story.

I did remember the name Ansem but as I was 8 or 9 at the time I couldn't be bothered with reading all of those documents. xD When I did finally read them on my second playthrough I saw how they could have helped me realize he would be showing up again.

Since the MC was original, I expected the big bad guy to be the same so no surprise there. However, at that point (on my first playthrough), I totally forgot about robe guy ... "who's that again?" I wondered.

This was me. I had forgotten about the robe guy thinking he was just a way to get Sora interested in the mysteries out there (I thought weirdly as a kid).

Veritas7340

The enigmatic robed figure was powerfully ominous.

Because I was a kid during my first play-through, I forgot about him after 5 worlds or so.

Up until Hollow Bastion, I think I was under the impression that Maleficent was the main villain.

Yet, the major defining moment was when Riku acquiesced to the darkness from the same robed figure.

It was then that I knew that Maleficent was most likely going to be supplanted by this foe.

Moonlight Aqua

~Living in a dream~
Awards
I did think that it was weird the robe guy was just randomly appearing in the Secret Place, but I didn't think much on it. I just thought, "I'm guessing he's going to appear later in the game for some reason." Then when Ansem appeared after Riku's fight (Second time) I was like, "Yup, looks like that's the main baddie."

FangirlfromHell

Awards
I can still remember when I first finally reached Hollow Bastion. The moment I saw Riku run into Ansem's "Burlap Sack" version, I thought 'Oh shoot, it's not going to end with Maleficent afterall?'.

Looking back now while playing 1.5 though, it's like 'I'm gonna pummel Master Xehanort for making the "Mistress of All Evil" have such a low place on the totem pole. Considering in BBS we learn he is the reason she gained interest in Kingdom Hearts in the first place. Now I want to see an epic villainous showdown between Master Xehanort and Maleficent where he gets beaten down by the dragon form.

Gonzales95

Awards
I was surprised that Maleficent turned out not to be the main bad, but I wasn't at all surprised when it turned out Riku was an antagonist and being manipulated by a higher force, because I'd seen it happen before in Ape Escape (underrated game) - the main character's best friend/rival gets possessed by the Big Bad, you fight him a few times then break his control. It's been done a fair few times now, but KH did it when it was still somewhat fresh.

I also found the fact that MX was the one who got Maleficent onto the whole idea of the Princesses of Heart in the first place, really makes you see how far ahead he really was thinking.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
I was 15 when the game first came out, so I thought it was pretty obvious that she wasn't the main villain based on experience.

WaveK89

I don't know, throughout the game Maleficent was giving wise words of the darkness to all the other Disney villains which lead me to believe she would be eating her own words eventually. I had always figured Riku would become the villain because it's not uncommon for two best friend/rivals to become enemies in stories. I'm glad it didn't work out that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back