• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Why did Saix suggest that Roxas should keep a diary?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
So I played Days on my 3DS the other day, and in the beginning Roxas starts to write a diary. He says that Saix suggest keeping a diary, and that they would not supervise it. Why do you think that is?
One of the explanations that comes to my mind is that they wanted to make Roxas more functional faster. Since Roxas did not have any memories from his past, he was a zombie. Keeping a diary(and giving you a name) makes you form a identity, and maybe by keeping record about your thoughts and etc.. helps to form a sense of identity. So the more of individual you are, the more you function and can complete the mission the Org gives you. (Kinda ironic that this very thing backfired and made Roxas unsuitable for Oldnorts plans)

Or maybe it it just some game mechanic or something?

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
I doubt that it has a deeper story meaning, especially since developing too much individualty was fundamentally against what the Organisation's superiors wanted.

It is probably just a convenient way to explain why Roxas kept a diary at all that the player can read in order to have something similar to the Ansem/Xehanort reports in the other games.

If you want to get really strict though, Roxas' diary itself also barely has any substantial value except chronicling the story itself, it's the secret reports written by the other members that are unlockable which hold the substantial stuff.

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
I doubt that it has a deeper story meaning, especially since developing too much individualty was fundamentally against what the Organisation's superiors wanted.

It is probably just a convenient way to explain why Roxas kept a diary at all that the player can read in order to have something similar to the Ansem/Xehanort reports in the other games.

If you want to get really strict though, Roxas' diary itself also barely has any substantial value except chronicling the story itself, it's the secret reports written by the other members that are unlockable which hold the substantial stuff.

Ah I had forgotten that there isn`t any substantial value in Roxas diary, and it kinda just tells the happenings of the day. The secret reports like you said, are the ones with the interesting info. They also give interesting insight to the mind of the writer. I remember especially well one entry that was written by Xion. She writes that even if she tries to sleep, she`ll wake up feeling really tired. One time she had dreams were she was drowning. That just felt really depressing. :(

Hovhannes1998

Yeah, the explnaition was just kind of needed to the game because all KH games have some sort of journal, and Roxas' diary was 358/2's version.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
*saix enters roxas' room while he's on mission*

"...scandalous."

Lonbilly

Captain Marvel is a lesbian send tweet
Awards
I never really thought much about the diary aspect. But now, it is rather odd that Saix is the one who tells him to do it.

*saix enters roxas' room while he's on mission*

"...scandalous."

Why can I see this legitimately being something Amano would put in the manga?

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
Okay, yes everybody, I am shiro Amano in disguise. Also Nomura. Please be patient for the official announcement, of the official announcement, *laughs*.

gamerobber7

Bronze Member
Awards
I never really thought much about the diary aspect. But now, it is rather odd that Saix is the one who tells him to do it.

Same here. I didn't even think about it but Saix would be one of the last people I would expect to tell Roxas to use a diary.
As for the reason I imagine it was to help Roxas get his thoughts out and in order and help him acclimate to his new life as a Nobody and Organization member.
The real reason is every game has a journal and since Jiminy isn't in this Roxas got a diary. Though it seems they gave up on having a reason in BBS.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
Maybe he wanted roxas to develop a heart? Was there maybe some Isa left in him before DDD? Or maybe he believed roxas developing his own heart would be easier to turn into a vessel than ven's heart? Could ven's heart even be a viable option with it's pure light and all? Shit is confusing.

Anagram

Banned
I think it's just one of those small little in story details Nomura adds for explanation. Like how Sora always has legit in-game reasons for being at level 1 again.
OR the journal bit was a means of Xehanort/Xemnas monitoring his desired vessels. (yes I'm implying he read their journals)

Dreaded_Desire62

bronze member
Awards
Website
gmail.com
It is probably both, but what happened to the diary after Diz and Riku captured him?
So I played Days on my 3DS the other day, and in the beginning Roxas starts to write a diary. He says that Saix suggest keeping a diary, and that they would not supervise it. Why do you think that is? One of the explanations that comes to my mind is that they wanted to make Roxas more functional faster. Since Roxas did not have any memories from his past, he was a zombie. Keeping a diary(and giving you a name) makes you form a identity, and maybe by keeping record about your thoughts and etc.. helps to form a sense of identity. So the more of individual you are, the more you function and can complete the mission the Org gives you. (Kinda ironic that this very thing backfired and made Roxas unsuitable for Oldnorts plans)Or maybe it it just some game mechanic or something?

Xickin

Traitor of KHInsider.com
Awards
Website
nicholasdoyle6.wixsite.com
So he could snoop! Unno, maybe just a constant reminder of what Roxas should aspire to be, a person with real emotions so he could fill the pages with actual feelings? Or maybe just a reality check every once in a while?

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
Honestly, it likely has no real narrative weight or importance. Days introduced a lot of fanfic-y style elements to it, due to one of the lead writers being, essentially, a professional fan-fic writer. Roxas' diary, the days having chapter titles, the org member's personalities and dialogue, etc. This just seems to be a part of that. If it was going to have importance, it would have had to have paid off in Days itself and it never does.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Same here. I didn't even think about it but Saix would be one of the last people I would expect to tell Roxas to use a diary.
As for the reason I imagine it was to help Roxas get his thoughts out and in order and help him acclimate to his new life as a Nobody and Organization member.
The real reason is every game has a journal and since Jiminy isn't in this Roxas got a diary. Though it seems they gave up on having a reason in BBS.

Saix handles the day-to-day work of the Organisation and who gives out most of the orders, so it's only logical that the "order" to keep a diary would come from him.
It's also him who orders the members to write and deliver their mission reports, so it could entirely be that Saix just had Roxas keep a diary in order for him to learn how to write so he can later on bring in proper mission reports.

Maybe he wanted roxas to develop a heart? Was there maybe some Isa left in him before DDD? Or maybe he believed roxas developing his own heart would be easier to turn into a vessel than ven's heart? Could ven's heart even be a viable option with it's pure light and all? Shit is confusing.

Err, I do not think that Saix was even aware of the possibility of a heart developing, as far as we know only Xemnas, Xigbar, Xehanort himself and DiZ knew about that such a thing was even possible.
Furthermore, he certainly did not know about Ven's heart being in Roxas, Saix isn't even versed in how hearts work in general.
I actually doubt that anyone except maybe Xehanort definitely knew that Ven's damaged heart was located inside Roxas. Mickey suspected something about the whereabouts of Ven's heart after Coded (as shown in the Secret ending) and several people, like i.e. Xigbar and Xemnas, might have suspected a connection between Roxas and Ventus due to the obvious physical similarities, but there's no indication that they specifically knew about Ven's damaged heart being directly there inside Roxas.

Last but not least though, Xehanort wants his intended vessels without hearts. After the royal pain that he had with Terra, an opposing heart inside one of his intended vessels, he decided that empty vessels would be easier to use, which is why he even started the whole schmuck with the Nobodies and the experiments on hearts (as Xemnas explains in DDD).
Roxas developing an own heart (and thus his own identity and self-awareness) was what actually eventually made him unsuitable as a vessel for Xehanort because he would have needed to subdue Roxas' own self in order to use the vessel like he had to do with Terra.
That's also why he put so much effort into drowning Sora's heart in Darkness during the course of DDD, because he wanted the actual owner of the vessel, the original heart of it, out of the way so he wouldn't have another Terra-scenario.

kuraudoVII

D'oh, I missed!
Awards
Saix handles the day-to-day work of the Organisation and who gives out most of the orders, so it's only logical that the "order" to keep a diary would come from him.
It's also him who orders the members to write and deliver their mission reports, so it could entirely be that Saix just had Roxas keep a diary in order for him to learn how to write so he can later on bring in proper mission reports.

It's also possible that he could see through the reports some of what Roxas was thinking when reading between the lines. The Xehanort part inside of him could very well be tracking him through the reports to see if Roxas was still acting the way a suitable vessel should (though obviously, it was all for naught since Roxas proved to be unsuitable as you already stated).

Blackdrazon

Vulpes Chronicler
Awards
Err, I do not think that Saix was even aware of the possibility of a heart developing, as far as we know only Xemnas, Xigbar, Xehanort himself and DiZ knew about that such a thing was even possible.

I agree, in fact, there are a few points in the plot where Saix seems to miss some obvious evidence that Roxas has a heart, say when Roxas starts being concerned Xion has collapsed and Saix says "Don't worry, you won't be punished for her failure," and a hundred or so days later when Roxas is shouting about Xion again, and he calls it "feigned sentiment."

I think if he suspected it was possible to grow a heart, those would have sounded a few warning bells, but instead he just seems to think Roxas is a consummate method actor!

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
I agree, in fact, there are a few points in the plot where Saix seems to miss some obvious evidence that Roxas has a heart, say when Roxas starts being concerned Xion has collapsed and Saix says "Don't worry, you won't be punished for her failure," and a hundred or so days later when Roxas is shouting about Xion again, and he calls it "feigned sentiment."

I think if he suspected it was possible to grow a heart, those would have sounded a few warning bells, but instead he just seems to think Roxas is a consummate method actor!

Exactly, there's also this exchange in Days where Xigbar apparently stealthily mocks Saix's ignorance and shortsightedness in his typical troll fashion:

Days said:
Xemnas: What else?

Saïx: Somebody accessed our main computer without authorization.

Xigbar: "Somebody"? Are we all gonna pretend we don't know who? Little Poppet is turning into a problem--and I think you catch my meaning.

Saïx: Nonsense. I see no problem whatsoever.

Xigbar: Ha ha! Well no, apparently you don't!

Saïx: Something you find amusing?

Xigbar: If people see with their hearts, Saïx, then you're even blinder than the rest of us.
Xigbar is hinting at Xion becoming a problem because she's developing an own persona, which in turn means her heart is developing.
Saix doesn't get the "hint" at all and therefore sees no problem, which Xigbar being Xigbar, finds highly amusing.

BlazeHeatnix

Actually, I suspect since they needed Roxas to gather hearts, Saix told him to keep a diary so they'd make sure he didn't learn the truth and go against the Org. You'll notice that when he fights Saix in Days, he just happens to be there. I'll bet Saix was keeping a close watch after he wrote "I am done with this" and decided it was time to dispose of him once he tried to leave.

Divine Past

Bronze Member
Awards
Saix was just prepping Roxas on how to write information down. After the Org got all the hearts they needed, Roxas was going to be relegated to desk duties and handling paperwork.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back