• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Why didn't Mickey or Yen Sid tell Sora about....

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mog

Awards
I guess Nomura didn't anticipate that Birth By Sleep would be a prequel to Kingdom Hearts. I know originally BBS was supposed to be a sequel to KH2, so that's probably the reason why Nomura didn't write Mickey and Yen Sid openly talking about Terra, Aqua and Ventus until after KH2 (it might also explain Mickey not mentioning a keyblade wielder stuck in the realm of darkness). I think the Recoded secret ending is where Mickey actually first mentions them by name since Birth By Sleep. It doesn't make sense how Mickey and Riku didn't speak about Aqua during their time together after Kingdom Hearts 1, or why Yen Sid didn't give us any clue about Xehanort's origins or TAV, even in passing. It's just down to poor planning really.

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
BBS was always a prequel. It was never a sequel.

What you might be thinking about was that BBS was originally going to be made for the PS2 before being moved onto the PSP. But, storywise, it was a prequel from the beginning.

Mog

Awards
I don't have the source anymore but I'm almost certain it was supposed to be a sequel on the ps2. The Jump Festa 2008 trailer shows Terra and Ven talking in the Great Maw (where Sora fights the 1000 heartless) in Radiant Garden that didn't exist until KH2.

Last edited:

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
I don't have the source anymore but I'm almost certain it was supposed to be a sequel on the ps2. The TGS 2008 trailer shows Terra and Ven talking in the Great Maw (where Sora fights the 1000 heartless) in Radiant Garden that didn't exist until KH2.

You are incorrect, it was always a prequel. That first trailer even shows tiny Sora and Riku fighting on the islands. They were just reusing KH2 assets as it was a beta trailer.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
I don't have the source anymore but I'm almost certain it was supposed to be a sequel on the ps2. The TGS 2008 trailer shows Terra and Ven talking in the Great Maw (where Sora fights the 1000 heartless) in Radiant Garden that didn't exist until KH2.

it did exist, there was just nothing there. it was always meant to be a prequel, the story was completed in 2007, xigbar even referenced "the other wielders" in kh2 which was from 2005.

Mog

Awards
We're not sure when the crystal valley was a thing really, it's not in BBS or KH1 so we have to assume it was created sometime after Sora fights Ansem in Hollow Bastion (or was there all the time....until the writers needed it). Xigbar makes reference to at least Ventus in KH2 (he used to give me the exact same look!) but then again we can't say with 100% certainty at that point if he was referring to an event 10 years ago or sooner than that. It's a moot point to argue really, but I did think Nomura initially wanted BBS to happen after KH2.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
We're not sure when the crystal valley was a thing really, it's not in BBS or KH1 so we have to assume it was created sometime after Sora fights Ansem in Hollow Bastion (or was there all the time....until the writers needed it). Xigbar makes reference to at least Ventus in KH2 (he used to give me the exact same look!) but then again we can't say with 100% certainty at that point if he was referring to an event 10 years ago or sooner than that. It's a moot point to argue really, but I did think Nomura initially wanted BBS to happen after KH2.

nomura had no idea where he wanted to go after II, that's why he wanted to flesh out xehanort's backstory in a prequel and explain multiple events and what's going on.

i can say with absolute certainty that he did not plan for it that way, that's why all the worlds were from old movies because it was an "older" time period, terra's design was based off xehanort from the start.

the great maw? that's probably existed for eons, there is no way of telling because you never explored outside of the castle before II.

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
The line he was referring to was Xigbar's line in TWTNW where Xigbar says that Sora isn't "half the hero the others were".

From the very beginning BBS was a prequel. As Tinny said, the first trailers just reused KH2 assests and locations because the game was so early in production at that point. Nomura has said that the very first bits of the story that he had thought of for BBS were the scenes where Terra meets young Riku and Aqua meets young Sora/Riku. It was always a prequel meant to explore "Xehanort's Memories" which is a keyphrase even in the first concept trailer for BBS along with the title "It all began with birth by sleep". It's very clear it was always a prequel.

But you're right that initially it was going to be developed for the PS2 and that was changed.

Anagram

Banned
Lots of BBS was changed it feels like. Early trailers used KH2 assets but the story or concepts, like 'evil Terra' or Sora's heart connecting to Ven before he was born or 'unbirth' (yes that was the name before the change to unversed), felt dropped or changed. Many scenes moved around as well although where they were in early trailers was likely just nomura using KH2 bits to get a trailer together.

The atmosphere and elements of story certainly feel different in concept stages to what we eventually got though. I'd say the truly unexpected projects threw him off. Like Nintendo wanting what became Days or whatever proposal led to Coded.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
im still pissed that terra didn't kill master xehanort, the torn old man who believed in balance, take his name and forsake his friends only to feel literally torn after he split into two beings, vowing to search for his friends at the cost of ending the universe and make things right, while his heartleaa wanted the power and these two sides of the coin worked together to achieve their seperate goals.

that dynamic would have worked better than any shit they have happening now. even eraqus' heart kairi'ing inside him would have worked better like that.

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
Please, there's no way Terra was ever going to be "evil." All that glaring in the beta trailer and images was probably just to convey foreshadowing before they could get very far in development.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
Please, there's no way Terra was ever going to be "evil." All that glaring in the beta trailer and images was probably just to convey foreshadowing before they could get very far in development.

i know, its just the writer deep inside me clawing to punch a hole through my chest and say "here's where its fucked"

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
All of the games from the handheld compilation are pretty different from their early trailers. That's kind of just the nature of development. Coded had a stronger emphasis on Mickey's "Time for the truth" and what he did during KH1. 358/2 Days had Roxas and Xion being actively antagonistic to each other earlier on instead of the insta-friends they are in the game. Etc. That's just representative of how early in production these titles were when announced and the realities of development and writing. It doesn't really hint at anything nefarious.

I also think people REALLY blow out of proportion things like "Nintendo asked for Days" as if Nintendo had any actual hand in its development or production when really it was more like Nintendo showed them the hardware for the DS/3DS and said "We'd love a KH/FF/Whatever game for it if you're interested" and that was that. The reason KH3D became a thing was literally just because Nomura got excited about the hardware and what could be done with it.

Last edited:

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
All of the games from the handheld compilation are pretty different from their early trailers. That's kind of just the nature of development. Coded had a stronger emphasis on Mickey's "Time for the truth" and what he did during KH1. 358/2 Days had Roxas and Xion being actively antagonistic to each other earlier on instead of the insta-friends they are in the game. Etc. That's just representative of how early in production these titles were when announced and the realities of development and writing. It doesn't really hint at anything nefarious.

I also think people REALLY blow out of proportion things like "Nintendo asked for Days" as if Nintendo had any actual hand in its development or production when really it was more like Nintendo showed them the hardware for the DS/3DS and said "We'd love a KH/FF/Whatever game for it if you're interested" and that was that. The reason KH3D became a thing was literally just because Nomura got excited about the hardware and what could be done with it.

best kh game so i guess it counted for something in the end

Anagram

Banned
Except you nor me have ANY way of knowing or claiming who would be evil nor good. I'm just pointing it out with which its most known by. Reason for the parentheses on "evil" Terra =P

Hell for all we know Terra could've originally had an even stronger copy&coaster story of Kh1-Rikus initially.

And to be just as fair I think your blowing what people mean by Nintendo asking for Days a bit out of proportion. I've never once seen it said Nintnedo actually had a huge hand in development. Only that they were the main catalyst for its existence.

There's no denying early stages show different either but i fell there's also no denying the huge shift of atmosphere in early or even mid production Bbs compared to the finilazed project. Like you can tell it had some changes to accommodate the psp and other handhelds now out.

Edit. This has flung far off topic lol

Last edited:

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
I'll make another thread for discussing this exclusively, but back to the asshole yoda mouse.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
And this is the reason you just gotta love chuman.
So, err. The only real plotlike reason for this is that they "didn't thought it was this necessary"?

i wouldn't be surprised if yen sid pulled a "your memories have been erased, i can restore them" deus ex machina. maybe sora dives into mickey's heart and unlocks them. that would be the best method instead of "lol oh yeah guys"

appleboy82791

Awards
It might also be possible that Mickey found Aqua in the RoD and she asked him to promise not to tell for some reason. Similar to how he promised not to tell Sora about Riku.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
It might also be possible that Mickey found Aqua in the RoD and she asked him to promise not to tell for some reason. Similar to how he promised not to tell Sora about Riku.

But why would she? Riku's reasons are pretty obvious, considering how he felt and stuff. But Aqua?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back