• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Why do people get angry when you watch a japanese movie in english?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

dEaTh_bY_pWnInG

Ok, the other day I bought a copy of the NA DVD of Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children. I showed to some friends of mine when they came over and they were like "Oh badass, let's watch it." Then I started up the DVD and Reno and Elena started speaking english. Everybody was suddenly like "WTF!? Go back to the menu! Switch it to japanese!"

After that I asked them why and they said that all japanese movies are terrible in english and you should only watch them in japanese. This really got me confused. Now I have two questions about this:

1. If you dont wanna watch the movie in english, then why get excited about the North American DVD release? Why not just download it for free and watch it like that?

2. If you really enjoy the story of Final Fantasy VII, should it even make a difference what language it's in(as long as you can understand the language)?

The way I see it, I like Square Enix and I like Final Fantasy VII, so I wanna be able to watch the movie and understand what's going on.(p.s. I know that there's such a thing as subtitles, but if you're just gonna be looking at the bottom of the screen and reading the whole time, then you could've just as easily found the script online, or bought the book.)

RTP49

i’m gay
Awards
Re: Why the **** do people get angry when you watch a japanese movie in english?

Two reasons: Dubs suck and it takes away the Japanese experience.

And the retaliation-

Why not just download it for free and watch it like that?
Because you'd get your ass sued by Square that's why.

why get excited about the North American DVD release?
****ing region restrictions, thats why.

2339e78de6e538a883de794ad171971d.gif

Darkness Princess

Paper Bag Heaven
I prefer the Japanease releases always, they are soo much better for some reason I dislike it when the people are speaking english, I'd rather read subtitles.

The Big Lovin'

Everyone's Favorite Uncle Ji-Chan
I personaly dont like japanesse voices cause most of the time the womens voices are so squeky and annoying. Beides that I dont have a problem with reading subs.

dEaTh_bY_pWnInG

Well, see I dont mind subtitles too much, but there are two problems I have with watching a movie in another language:
1. A lot of the time I like to watch movies while on the computer, and to do that, I have to be able to understand what people on the movie are talking about, without looking at the screen.
2. A lot of the time, when I watch a movie with subtitles, I end up missing some of what's going on, because instead of actually watching the movie, I'm reading the subtitles at the bottom of the screen.

Also, RIDETHEPIG, what "japanese experience" are you talking about? It sounds to me that if you dont live in Japan, and you're not Japanese, yet you watch an american DVD for the "japanese experience", then really you're just being a poser.

I mean, I'm a fan of japanese culture, so I understand what you're getting at, but I think that when you refuse watch movies in an understood language, then that's not called being a fan anymore. That's going beyond fandom, and just being a poser. It's like you're trying to pretend that you actually are japanese.

Also, english voice actors are not that bad. If they're so bad, then how come they're so popular over here? What, do they suddenly lose all talent when they accept a job from a japanese client?

oh, and btw, RIDETHEPIG, dont try and tell me that people dont download movies for fear of being sued. In short, that's basically just telling me that people do not illegally download movies, and I'm sorry, but that's just a straight-out lie.

Also, like I said before, if you're a true fan of the final fantasy VII storyline, then what difference does it make what language it's in?(as long as it's in a language you understand)

kairigirl

Bang!
Awards
Website
kemine.deviantart.com
It's all in preference. :/ I've watched 1-13 of FMA in English and the rest with subs. I saw no difference nor do I have a preference to which one I liked better. Sure, the sounds were different, like for me, Japanese sounds like nonsense yet English makes sense. To the Japanese it's the opposite. But anyways, you grow kind of used to reading subs, then watching, or training your eyes to do it all at the same time. Easiest movie to read that I've seen that had subs was Passion of the Christ. You had no choice, it was done in Latin to give it a more real feel, and wow, they were put in there easily and everything, I had no problem getting everything out of the movie and reading it at the same time.

Just mostly depends on how it's done. Some are subbed good, some are subbed bad. Some do it so that it distracts and some don't. I found myself, while watching FMA, going back a few seconds to read what I missed. *shrugs* No matter, just annoying.

As for English/American actors, I don't see anything wrong. So long as the actor/actress is good at what they're doing and know how to convey the feelings correctly, great! Aerith in KH2, for example, had a bad voice actress. No feeling whatsoever. But hey, it's all up to some people. I currently plan on buying/renting FF7:AC and seeing it in Japanese because I've heard it's better, though I may end up watching it in English so I don't miss anything.

Really though, it's all the same. Some may get upset (when watching a Japanese movie in English) as well cause the people will speak Japanese and yet you hear English. That gets annoying too.

Just all opinion though. There's ups and downs to each.

dEaTh_bY_pWnInG

kairigirl said:
I currently plan on buying/renting FF7:AC and seeing it in Japanese because I've heard it's better
See, that's what I dont like hearing. I dont like hearing people say the movie's better in japanese than in english, or the other way around. I dont know if anybody's noticed, but IT'S THE SAME DAM MOVIE! It's just that one is in a language you understand, and the other is in a language you dont. That's all! That's it! Nothing else!

RTP49

i’m gay
Awards
dEaTh_bY_pWnInG said:
Also, RIDETHEPIG, what "japanese experience"
When you watch a Japanese movie, the feel, the culture of the movie is Japanese right? So when a character does some sort of Japanese facial/nonverbal expression, along with the otomotpeia to go with it, it sounds like crap in English, because the English dub tries to sound like the Japanese dub- which is overall fail to me.

Leik, in a furry anime, (say digi-charat) a character might make a sound that goes, "puchuu." Then in English, it would sound overly exaggerated, not to mention an accent. (and sound kinda like a middle-aged woman... no.)

So when I mean Japanese experience, it means authenticity, original format.

That's going beyond fandom, and just being a poser. It's like you're trying to pretend that you actually are japanese.
Not very multicultural are you?

kairigirl

Bang!
Awards
Website
kemine.deviantart.com
dEaTh_bY_pWnInG said:
See, that's what I dont like hearing. I dont like hearing people say the movie's better in japanese than in english, or the other way around. I dont know if anybody's noticed, but IT'S THE SAME DAM MOVIE! It's just that one is in a language you understand, and the other is in a language you dont. That's all! That's it! Nothing else!

Key word is heard. :/ I don't know, I'll pry like it both ways, I pry won't care but instead prefer English cause then I don't have to constantly watch the screen.

RIDETHEPIG: I do understand what you mean when they try to imitate a sound that Japanese do, but English don't. You do have a point, but it doesn't necesarily make subs better than dubs. You have to admit, some things are subbed terribly and you can't watch and read at the same time, you have to choose and constantly rewind. I recently saw the KH2 ending in Japanese. I've also seen it in English. I like the English one better. Why? I'm used to listening to English, it's my natural language. :/ That's why I usually prefer English to anything, though some things are subbed decently.

ladymage

I prefer anything in my language also I can't distinguish one Japanese voice from the other most of the time. Just listen to what you want to listen too.

Marluxia_Xii

Currently strapping Sephiroth and Axel to a bed fo
Website
spaces.msn.com
I can go both ways. I mean, for a long time, I never really gave the English a chance because I simply assumed that the Japanese was better. Hell, if I could, I'd only get the Japanese import . But, their were two movies (you'd never guess) I watched: Final Fantasy: The Avdent Children & The Spirits within (back-to-back) I didn't own them and had always wanted to see them, and the TV was the only way, really. And, let me tell you, those English actors do a really good job. So, I side with both the "cultural feel" and the whole "but it's the same thing" segment.

Chaos-Shadow

Shadow
Website
www.myspace.com
<T/2igger}{APPY> said:
I personaly dont like japanesse voices cause most of the time the womens voices are so squeky and annoying. Beides that I dont have a problem with reading subs.

Not just that it ussualy sounds like if their "doing it" if ya catch my drift lol my momsm all like "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU WATCHING"

But me personaly i like the english versions better, i dont understand all this crap about the voice actors n shit, alot of people around here are paranoid -.-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back