• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

why do so many people dislike 358/2 days

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

what do you think about 358/2 days

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Walkway

Most people hate it for the repetitive and sometimes tedious missions and gameplay.
And everyone seems to think the story is whack and hate Xion for one reason or another.

Although I really, really liked the game, myself.

Gram

Banned
Awards
cause it turned roxas from (when kh2 1st came out) a deul weilding badass nobody, that left a mysterious organazation to learn more about himself and his keyblade.
to a xion fanboy that left the org cause of a girl -_-
plus the story is to drug out to the point that i get bored, missions get a bit repetitive, i hate the lvl panels, the game was a fanservice, and the enemy hp is annoying not challenging.

thats the main ones i got.

denizenofevil

If you were to ask me if I liked Days, I would say yes. However, the only thing I really liked about it was the storyline and the introduction of Xion who I think furthers the plot by showing why Roxas did what he did. I loved the cutscenes. The problem I have with the game is the gameplay. I think that the people who dislike Days are the types of people who primarily buy games because of good gameplay which this game does not provide. Those who like it, like me, are primarily into gaming for the story although I do wish they could have put more cutscenes with voice acting.

thrairth

I am so with you, denisennofevil.

It was the first KH I played, and I loved it, and still do ^_^. Er... I love the story. I hated the missions. The same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. "KILL A BOSS!" "COLLECT EMBLEMS!" "DO RECON!" "COLLECT HEARTS!" Ugh. And with only like... what? six? seven? worlds to go to, the missions got very boring, very fast. I only got through it because I wanted to see what happens next when I wasn't on a mission. Also, I didn't like how it FELT to play. I don't know why, but for some reason I found that playing such a big, detailed (for a DS game) game on the DS was really clunky and felt awkward. The arrow pad... thingy... whatever it's called... the thing that you use to run around that isn't a joystick... was really annoying to use in a 3D game. And I really don't think that the camera loves Roxas... it never seems to be looking at him. And there weren't enough talking cutscenes :(.
Just annoying things like that made the game harder to get through. Oh well, I still luv it!

Goldpanner

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Repetitive story centring on an ass-pull character created as a fangirl's wet dream (no, really).

When I sad repetitive, I mean repetitive. Xion falls down/faints nine times. She runs away from the Org three times. Both Roxas AND her go into comas. And aside from being repetitive, don't those plot devices sound really bad-daytime-soap-opera to you? They sit around eating ice cream 2043935835 times. There are three scenes with Diz complaining about Sora's memories being stopped before he finally actually sends Riku to do something.

Then there's the fact that Roxas does literally nothing for the whole game, except missions and sitting on the clocktower. It's like they decided to give Xion all the plot and 'self discovery' arc they were going to give him, but remembered they'd already promised a game about Roxas, so they kept him as the 'main character' who watched/was oblivious on the sidelines.

There was hardly any Org development. You realise Demyx' name STILL has never been said in a voiced cutscene in the series? It's fine for them to have been shady mysterious villains in KH2 cause that was their role to Sora, but in a game about their members, in their own castle, they should have been more than scenery.

Then when there's finally a plot development that might be interesting--the Org pits them against eachother in a duel to the death--it gets resolved in one day, and has no real impact on the plot. Whaaaat

Xion was a predictable, flawless little angel and I find those characters boring. Roxas was pretty pussy too; maybe he gave his balls to Xion. 8D

Urghhh I think the story was really bad and should have been left in the minds of the fangirls where it belonged.

Reika

"Together... always."
Awards
Website
blayzes.deviantart.com
Because Nomura led us on by naming it 358/2 Days instead of Retcon, and lied to us when he said it was a about Roxas.

I'd go into detail, but Goldpanner pretty much summed it all up.

Raiinu K.D.

Awards
Because Nomura led us on by naming it 358/2 Days instead of Retcon

LOL, this. xD

You realise Demyx' name STILL has never been said in a voiced cutscene in the series?

Apparently it was said in Japanese. :O (KH2FM) But I never saw the scene, so... yeah.

Anyways, your question has been answered very well by people on both sides of the argument. I loved the game (but then again, I kinda blindly love ALL the games >>), however, I can totally agree with almost everything in the counter-argument: Xion, repetitiveness, lack of challenge, etc. Overall, I don't think it deserves to be derided as much as it is-- I think people were just disappointed because it didn't, como se dice... "live up to the hype."

Hamster Lord

Atrocity Exhibition
Awards
It was soooooooooooooooooooooooooo repetitive. It took me 5 months to finish it. It got so boring midway. I was so excited when I first got it and then like 3 days later "this is ok" and then a week later "play it l8tr. today im gettin dead space!" and then i finally finished it in january

MomentoMori

Dead Technology
Website
mypage.na.square-enix.com
Repetitive story centring on an ass-pull character created as a fangirl's wet dream (no, really).

When I sad repetitive, I mean repetitive. Xion falls down/faints nine times. She runs away from the Org three times. Both Roxas AND her go into comas. And aside from being repetitive, don't those plot devices sound really bad-daytime-soap-opera to you? They sit around eating ice cream 2043935835 times. There are three scenes with Diz complaining about Sora's memories being stopped before he finally actually sends Riku to do something.

Then there's the fact that Roxas does literally nothing for the whole game, except missions and sitting on the clocktower. It's like they decided to give Xion all the plot and 'self discovery' arc they were going to give him, but remembered they'd already promised a game about Roxas, so they kept him as the 'main character' who watched/was oblivious on the sidelines.

There was hardly any Org development. You realise Demyx' name STILL has never been said in a voiced cutscene in the series? It's fine for them to have been shady mysterious villains in KH2 cause that was their role to Sora, but in a game about their members, in their own castle, they should have been more than scenery.

Then when there's finally a plot development that might be interesting--the Org pits them against eachother in a duel to the death--it gets resolved in one day, and has no real impact on the plot. Whaaaat

Xion was a predictable, flawless little angel and I find those characters boring. Roxas was pretty pussy too; maybe he gave his balls to Xion. 8D

Urghhh I think the story was really bad and should have been left in the minds of the fangirls where it belonged.

For the record - I'm a fangirl but I hate Xion for the reasons you stated. And no, it has nothing to do with the AkuRoku thing (I've been accused of hating Xion because OMG SHE GETS IN THE WAI OF MAH OTP...hahaha, no - AR's nowhere close to being my OTP, but I digress).

And as I've said before, I only like the game because it's about the Organization. The story is boring and the gameplay's all right, but I don't usually buy games for the gameplay itself (otherwise I never would have bought CoM and Re: CoM).

*TwilightNight*

Bronze Member
Awards

Then there's the fact that Roxas does literally nothing for the whole game, except missions and sitting on the clock tower. It's like they decided to give Xion all the plot and 'self discovery' arc they were going to give him, but remembered they'd already promised a game about Roxas, so they kept him as the 'main character' who watched/was oblivious on the sidelines.

To add to this, and which I already did in the respective place, it still astounds me that Diz, you know, the person set on revenge who wants to wake Sora ASAP, waited almost 200 days to finally "take the gloves off" that he stated in the past where he actually should have done so. By then, coincidentally, Xion had made her sacrifice or was going to.

Riku suddenly decided to let a being who can help his best friend awaken choose what to do - seriously, Riku? Your best friend is in a coma. You're going to let what's keeping him from walking run around? Considering it's honestly just their second meeting or so, and not enough attachment for it come to this, it's befuddling. He didn't do anything until the pressure was too high, and by that point, guess what? Xion already made her sacrifice coincidentally.

Things twist very weirdly just to have them waste that one year just to wait until Xion dies, despite that it's mind boggling.

Don't even get me to Deep Dive. "REEAKO STOP ROXAS". What do you think he was doing there in the first place, Xion? Out for a breeze in The World That Never Was? Roxas was never going to get into that castle, no matter what the circumstances. This was preplanned: Diz showed up at the right cue time to even take Roxas away. It just seems that everything had to be about Xion despite that its repetitive and doesn't make sense. Xion ran away, Xion is missing, Xion has to be this, Xion has to be that. It sort of wrecked it. And it's sad, because 358/2 Days itself was unnecessary and pointless, along with the new "14th member" (which didn't even need to be a 14th member. Naminé anyone? With no coat or number, and doing Organization's bidding?). There's nothing that Xion did that couldn't be replaced with something else, much simpler options, at that.

Dual wielding?

Roxas had that ability since the beginning, and I won't say the reason why. The answer Nomura even gave for Xion in general was tacked on too as to how it awakened. "Oh, erm, Roxas's will not to forget Xion". Which is ridiculous: because anything, then, with the right emotion and force, can bring it forth. Why couldn't it be his his search for Sora? A realization about Ventus, in Castle Oblivion or otherwise? His fierce attempt not to be taken by Riku, or finding out who he is?

How about the memory progression? The only reason why Xion had Sora's memories, at least in the interview with the staff, as well as the game (by Xion herself, even), it's because the memories flow through Roxas and into her. Meaning, if it wasn't for Xion, Roxas would have stayed with them. He turned out to be needed regardless of whether Xion had been there or not. It's not like Sora recovered when she died. Again, look at it this way: if Sora's memories did leak, and it was made a plot point still, it would go to Roxas if Xion was nowhere in the game. Like 358/2 Days finished with. If Sora's memories didn't leak, they will remain with him or a part of Roxas like 358/2 Days finished with. Spot a pattern? KH2 wouldn't have missed a beat, in other words. Roxas was more of the rightful key, no matter how it went. Xion exists? Xion does not exist? Makes no scratch, end of.

So it was back to square one anyway.

The reason Roxas left? Even an OLD Nomura interview, before this whole Xion agenda started, from way back, said it himself:

What triggered Roxas’ separation from the Organization?
Nomura: As he kept having recurring dreams of Sora, someone he didn’t know, he felt he needed to leave the Organization to find out who these people he didn’t know were. As Axel didn’t want him to go, he didn’t tell Sora about Roxas in Castle Oblivion, did he?

And that was still a highly made reason in 358/2 Days itself, considering they couldn't retcon that :p.

Anything could have worked. And that's why it makes the whole game rather nonsensical. A simple few sentences of a Nomura interview can wrap up anything Days did with much less complicated responses and a much less complicated creation of a clone with gender problems that didn't do anything worth mentioning in the series. You take her off, and nothing's missing or changed. And that's what happens when you have to carefully tie a never existing character right dab in the middle of two sequel games, and never mentioning anything. You have to make sure it doesn't conflict with the rest. And the cop out for that was to make everyone forget her so KH2 wouldn't be thrown a wrench.

It doesn't help that, to me, Xion was boring. And no death is going to change my mind because of sympathy. That's another peeve: it was like a whole pity party of poor Xion this, and the poor thing is suffering that, and the poor thing is going through that. It never ends. I felt like it was forcing me to feel sorry for her. Thank goodness I caught the attempt of what they were doing to the audience, and didn't.

I can continue on more about Deep Dive and other things that could make sense, but I think I got my point across ^^;. This is actually a short version. I didn't go too in-depth for each thing.

It has bad writing, plot inconsistencies, everything was contrived, and you do much of nothing for the first 200 days except for missions and sea salt ice cream. The game play what's the only thing I loved about the game, especially since you could play as Organization members.

Smile

Codename: D
Awards
Website
www.fanfiction.net
This is why coming with my kind of expectations wins when dealing with Days. I was actually looking forward to Xion so it makes sense I'll love the game to a ridiculous bit xD;

I do agree with some of what was said though about the general story construct as well as how Roxas was handled. The kid was downright bi-polar and with Namine and Xion both sharing his life span and neither presented such attitude problems, I can't forgive him for that without a better plot reason or something presented.
Also, Xion's introduction into the story, especially with the very first scene being AkuRoku on the rooftop and Roxas wondering where "she" is and Axel looking all bothered. I know why Nomura did it (the offical reason was to make older players be interested to) but it just felt too... iono. Unnatural. Part of what Namine for instance worked so well in CoM is because her insertion was gradual. Somewhere out there there was a girl and we eased into knowing why we should care about her. Here, no. BOOM, Xion. Not the smartest move, Nomura. But not like you did too many of those in this game. Maybe because you locked yourself up to write the script.

That aside, whatever story elements you were looking for, be it more Org or even more Xion (and yes, despite it all, they did leave out parts about her too), they left a lot of it out. A LOT. They could've expanded on when Axel and Roxas were looking for her instead of just show Roxas constantly come up empty handed. They could've showed us what the deuce happened during that month with Riku and Xion instead of leaving us fanfic authors to do as we please. They could've showed a bit more closely what Diz and Namine were up to in the hopes of not making it seem like obsessive compulsive revenge driven Diz just sat tight while a year went by and Riku wasted a half of it going on a honey moon with Xion who knows where doing god knows what.

I'm the last person to blame that on Xion. Really. Especially with how I view things going by what Nomura said (as relevant or irrelevant as they may be...) and don't think how he wrote some things was THAT uncalled for in light of KH2. Though how he pulled it off was bad.
HEY NOMURA. WE'D FORGIVE ONE LESS FULLY ANIMATED CUT-SCENE AND TEN LESS EMBLEM MISSIONS IF YOU DON'T SCREW IT UP, KTHXBAI.

MomentoMori

Dead Technology
Website
They could've showed us what the deuce happened during that month with Riku and Xion instead of leaving us fanfic authors to do as we please

I'm beginning to think that that's what Squeenix WANTS us to do...there's just so much potential for all kinds of fanfic and fandom crack throughout the whole series....>> /off-topic

Smile

Awards
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Usually when you leave so much out though, it's bad writing. KH2 for one is a good example of Nomura realizing how much he left out and that's part of why we got the FM+. Not saying it fixed everything but it did fix some of it.
Days was just... yeah ok it was fanservice. Not Org fanservice but fanservice nonetheless. Which is more than a bit irritating without substance to back it up, even if some of us like what we got fanservice for.

MomentoMori

Dead Technology
Website
Usually when you leave so much out though, it's bad writing. KH2 for one is a good example of Nomura realizing how much he left out and that's part of why we got the FM+. Not saying it fixed everything but it did fix some of it.
Days was just... yeah ok it was fanservice. Not Org fanservice but fanservice nonetheless. Which is more than a bit irritating without substance to back it up, even if some of us like what we got fanservice for.

Well, yeah, it is bad writing.

Days was pretty much the Dissidia of KH. Just fanservice, really no other point.

Smile

Awards
Website
www.fanfiction.net
I like to think they might use some plot elements from it in the future, then it wouldn't feel so redundant. But time will tell and we have no way of knowing right now. In that sense, it at least has more potential than Dissidia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back