• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Why do some fans hate the idea of Riku being a Keyblade master?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Guernsey

Awards
I know this a decade late but why do some fans hate the idea of Riku being a Keyblade master over Sora?

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
This is the first time I've heard that people disliked Riku becoming a Master instead of Sora at the end of DDD. I thought many agreed that was a good end to his arc.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
A large portion of the fanbase has a weird fixation with Sora being acknowledged as the greatest Keyblade wielder in the history of forever, despite him saying flat out that he doesn't even care about being a Master. He didn't even want to take the exam in 3D until Riku said he wanted to.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
I wasn't even aware that was a thing. I mean you can mock the fact that Riku hasn't had his Keyblade for very long at all, barely longer then Kairi had hers before he was tested for the Mark of Mastery but as far as hating him being a master, I don't get it. It's a good end to his story arc. Truthfully I don't care for the Keyblade Master title. It didn't make Riku or Aqua that more impressive in the Keyblade War then the others. Mickey's another story after ReMind. But as far as Riku being a Master over Sora, I'm fine with it. Sora doesn't need it.

disney233

Awards
I just think the title 'Keyblade Master' seems stupid when you have a kid slaying dragons, titans, and gods. But in all honesty, I didn't even know there was hate for Riku being one. As said above it's a perfect way to end his arc tbh.

Awards
A large portion of the fanbase has a weird fixation with Sora being acknowledged as the greatest Keyblade wielder in the history of forever, despite him saying flat out that he doesn't even care about being a Master. He didn't even want to take the exam in 3D until Riku said he wanted to.
This right here.

Sora doesn't give a single damn about the Master title, and yet people keep obsessing over it and act as if Sora wants the title badly.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
The one character who really deserves to be named a Master is Terra. Still disappointed that Eraqus never named him one before passing on

SweetYetSalty

Awards
The one character who really deserves to be named a Master is Terra. Still disappointed that Eraqus never named him one before passing on
Xehanort named him Master. Come now, isn't Xehanort's word just as honest and good as Eraqus?

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Xehanort named him Master. Come now, isn't Xehanort's word just as honest and good as Eraqus?
Nope. Nomura stated that Terra was never a true master at the time no matter how much Xehanort said he was. Plus all of that was just a ploy to manipulate him

SuperNova

Awards
Its a weird phenomenon that goes on in fandoms where the main character should be acknowledged and given special titles in virtue of simply being the main character. Sora doesn't give two fiddle sticks of being a Master, and the Master title doesn't really stop him from being an "important asset" as Yen Sid put it or stop him from pulling miracles out of nowhere. I find Riku being a master is a good way to end his arc, and I don't see the big deal in him being one over Sora.

Awards
I think its because the way Riku passed the test, but Sora didn't doesn't really make sense.

Yen Sid's test was to find, then awaken the sleeping worlds left over from the first heartless invasion (or maybe they were supposed to lock them. I can't fully remember) but Sora and Riku both did this in their own ways. They both completed the assignment Yen Sid gave them at the start.

Yen Sid's test had nothing to do with Org 13's interference, because he was just as shocked as everyone else was when he realized his test had been hijacked.

It just feels like Sora did everything he was supposed to do, but got screwed over by outside forces he had no way of controlling.

Meanwhile, Riku basically passed due to extra credit from saving Sora in a situation separate from the actual test. Which is fine, but if Riku passed then Sora should have passed. Yen Sid changing the criteria for passing after the test is over is just stupid.

That's just how I feel about it though. Can't vouch for any one else.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
Nope. Nomura stated that Terra was never a true master at the time no matter how much Xehanort said he was. Plus all of that was just a ploy to manipulate him
Well I for one trust Xehanort's word regardless what Nomura says. Xehanort was speaking from the heart when he named Terra. We can trust Xehanort just like Terra did. That misguided old hero only wants to protect the light and lead us to a better future. KH3 told us so!

darknessofheart

Awards
As the culmination of Riku's growth and redemption, I think it was a perfect ending to that arc.

As others have said, "Master" seems like a somewhat pointless term now. The idea that Xehanort was defeated and killed by a kid who never even made the rank of master proved how pointless that title truly is and made Sora's victory over him much more satisfying. I think it works on many different levels, but ultimately Sora drew his strength from others in a way no other Keyblade wielder or master ever has.

Sora earning Xehanort's respect is way more impressive than earning a rank.

D

Deleted member 252753

So I agree with everyone saying the title is unimportant and Sora doesn't need it but I'd like to add that I don't see the Mark of Mastery as really being about how powerful a wielder is in battle, but more about strength of heart and character. In the BBS exam, Terra and Aqua's fight isn't about who is stronger and can win, but so Eraqus can perceive 'truths' about them and he finds the roots of darkness in Terra's heart, and it's this weakness of heart why he fail.

@Scoobert_Doobert I see the DDD exam in the same way: The important thing wasn't fulfilling the technical requirement of funding the 7 sleeping keyholes, but showing the strength of their heart. So Sora failed because his heart faltered and was nearly taken by darkness and Xehanort. Riku showed his resistance to darkness and so earned the Mark of Mastery. Even when Yen Sid tells Sora that he must regain his lost strength, the emphasis is on the mystical Power of Waking, rather than how hard Sora can bonk Heartless on the head.

And in KH3 you can see that Riku is much more mature and collected than Sora. Sora is shown to be anxious quite a lot during the game (for example after completing 100 Acre Wood he worries about losing connections with his friends), while Riku remains calm even when up against it in the Realm of Darkness. Even when they are about to be swept away by the Demon Tide, Riku doesn't lose his cool and reassures Sora, who is panicking and doesn't believe in himself. For me, Sora not being a Master then made sense. He does seem to mature after that so I guess he would be worthy of the Mark later but again, he doesn't need it and the commendation from Xehanort was enough for me.

It does raise the question of how Xehanort passed his exam but for now I am assuming it's to do with his ability to wield darkness without being taken over by it. I hope we get to see it in Dark Road. Anyway, I am sorry for the long post.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
So I agree with everyone saying the title is unimportant and Sora doesn't need it but I'd like to add that I don't see the Mark of Mastery as really being about how powerful a wielder is in battle, but more about strength of heart and character. In the BBS exam, Terra and Aqua's fight isn't about who is stronger and can win, but so Eraqus can perceive 'truths' about them and he finds the roots of darkness in Terra's heart, and it's this weakness of heart why he fail.

@Scoobert_Doobert I see the DDD exam in the same way: The important thing wasn't fulfilling the technical requirement of funding the 7 sleeping keyholes, but showing the strength of their heart. So Sora failed because his heart faltered and was nearly taken by darkness and Xehanort. Riku showed his resistance to darkness and so earned the Mark of Mastery. Even when Yen Sid tells Sora that he must regain his lost strength, the emphasis is on the mystical Power of Waking, rather than how hard Sora can bonk Heartless on the head.

And in KH3 you can see that Riku is much more mature and collected than Sora. Sora is shown to be anxious quite a lot during the game (for example after completing 100 Acre Wood he worries about losing connections with his friends), while Riku remains calm even when up against it in the Realm of Darkness. Even when they are about to be swept away by the Demon Tide, Riku doesn't lose his cool and reassures Sora, who is panicking and doesn't believe in himself. For me, Sora not being a Master then made sense. He does seem to mature after that so I guess he would be worthy of the Mark later but again, he doesn't need it and the commendation from Xehanort was enough for me.

It does raise the question of how Xehanort passed his exam but for now I am assuming it's to do with his ability to wield darkness without being taken over by it. I hope we get to see it in Dark Road. Anyway, I am sorry for the long post.
This was a excellent post, Dast. I certainly see what you are saying.

My problem isn't that Riku passed and Sora failed. I agree that Riku is more mature then Sora. I just don't like this Keyblade Master title thing at all and how it's structured. I find it one of the worst retcons from BBS. I fully agree that the Mark of Mastery wasn't about strength of skill but heart. What I don't like is now the game is telling us Sora's way of doing things is wrong. Which is funny because I'm pretty sure he saved the world twice following his heart but now he needs to take a test? How is KH1 or KH2 not a Mark of Mastery exam for Sora after all he's been through already? And you can be a master and still learn things about yourself, the journey never ends. Aqua is still learning after all. I could go on but it would be a long rant.

Sorry if I came ranty. It's not towards you, Dast. I'm just not a fan of how they wrote this Keyblade Master title. And likewise I can't wait to see Xehanort pass his exam. Dark Road is going to be so entertaining, I'm going to have fun XD

D

Deleted member 252753

This was a excellent post, Dast. I certainly see what you are saying.

My problem isn't that Riku passed and Sora failed. I agree that Riku is more mature then Sora. I just don't like this Keyblade Master title thing at all and how it's structured. I find it one of the worst retcons from BBS. I fully agree that the Mark of Mastery wasn't about strength of skill but heart. What I don't like is now the game is telling us Sora's way of doing things is wrong. Which is funny because I'm pretty sure he saved the world twice following his heart but now he needs to take a test? How is KH1 or KH2 not a Mark of Mastery exam for Sora after all he's been through already? And you can be a master and still learn things about yourself, the journey never ends. Aqua is still learning after all. I could go on but it would be a long rant.

Sorry if I came ranty. It's not towards you, Dast. I'm just not a fan of how they wrote this Keyblade Master title. And likewise I can't wait to see Xehanort pass his exam. Dark Road is going to be so entertaining, I'm going to have fun XD
That's very nice of you to say and I am not offended at all. :) I am not a big fan of it's introduction either, along with the succession ceremony thing, in BBS and it doesn't really feel like a nececesary concept. It would have been nice if Keyblade lore had been planned out better from the start.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
That's very nice of you to say and I am not offended at all. :) I am not a big fan of it's introduction either, along with the succession ceremony thing, in BBS and it doesn't really feel like a nececesary concept. It would have been nice if Keyblade lore had been planned out better from the start.
Truthfully when Terra and Aqua were applying to be 'Keyblade Masters' I thought it just meant Eraqus was going to allow them to travel the worlds with their Keyblades. I didn't actually think it was a actual title. And it doesn't even bother me that it was. The problem is it should have stayed a old tradition. The Mark of Mastery exam was the thing that started to drive TAV apart to begin with. Had it stayed in BBS that would have been fine. I'm annoyed they are trying to make it a thing now in the present for characters that don't need it.

Cumguardian69

Awards
I know this a decade late but why do some fans hate the idea of Riku being a Keyblade master over Sora?
Because KH3 paints Sora as Keyblade Jesus anyway and, under normal circumstances, differentiating weapon users under low/mid/high tiers USUALLY means that the high tier users are functionally or thematically better than the low/mid users but again KH3 says bump that. Chip and Dale rescue Rangets

OK, so what is the problem with Riku and KH3? Well, let's look at DDD-0.2-KH3-REMIND as "Kingdom Hearts 3" because by all means those four games are all part of the same arc.

Dream Drop Opens and closes by saying that Master Riku mastered both light and dark, has a level head, and can appropriately wield the Power of Asspulls. At the same time, it says Sora is incompetent, rushes into scenarios without thinking, and CANNOT appropriately wield the Power of Asspulls. This is okay and appropriate - throughout KH1, CoM, Days, and KH2 we've seen Riku be the calculated risk-taker who learns from his mistakes while Sora is either thrust into a situation unwillingly (KH1) or makes moves based entirely on his emotion (CoM is literally ANGERY SORA: the game, and KH2 is angsty Sora: the game). But this detail is important for KH3 and ReMIND.

0.2 ending has Yensid telling Master Riku that he and Sora would have staged a reckless attempt at rescuing Aqua if her location were not kept secret, so Yensid and Mickey needed at least another Master on their side to brave the RoD and pull her back from the brink of expiration. Well, Masters Mickey and Riku are now prepped to save the girl from her shadowy prison - a prison that ya boi Riku has INTIMATE RELATIONS WITH having harbored Ansem SoD's heart for some time, taken on his form, being sent to the RoD himself, and more. Remember, at this point Sora got laughed out of the examination room and Riku already got official assignments to retrieve Kairi in preparation for the coming Not!Keyblade War. It's been established that Sora is incompetent and Riki is the opposite. again, this detail is important for KH3 and remind.

KH3 opens by recapping Sora's failure at the mom exam, and Sora tries to get some answers from Yensid. Sora essentially asks what he needs to do to regain his strength of heart, as well as how he can recover the Power of Waking. Well, Yensid makes one critical error that destroys the legitimacy of the name "Keyblade Master". The wizard says to Sora, paraphrased, 'WHENEVER YOU ARE IN NEED, MAGIC HAPPENS. THAT IS YOUR GREATEST STRENGTH.' This line is gonna come back, so I'll name it "Sora's Ordinarily Ridiculous Asspull", or SORA for short. Yeah, real clever I know.

From the ending of 0.2, we know Masters Riku and Mickey are going to the RoD to locate and retrieve Aqua. They get absolutely destroyed by a bunch of shadows for the stated reason of "even the lowest tier heartless get a power up on their home turf". Riku's WttD gets snapped in half, and Mickey's KKD needs a redesign for no actual plot related reason. Whatever, we could say the last time Riku was in the RoD was about a year ago, and 2ish years for Mickey. Yeah. Only, the problem with (continued later)

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
Well, Masters Mickey and Riku are now prepped to save the girl from her shadowy prison - a prison that ya boi Riku has INTIMATE RELATIONS WITH having harbored Ansem SoD's heart for some time, taken on his form, being sent to the RoD himself, and more.
You're on a roll here, but I just wanted to note that I hadn't realized the added ridiculousness of ejecting Riku from this plotline given that the darkness used to (help) corrupt Aqua is Ansem SoD's-- a darkness which Riku has himself wielded. It's good to know the decision was made to forego even a semblance of thoughtfulness when mapping this particular plot detour. Really rub our faces in it.

But yeah, my only problem with Riku being named Master is in retrospect, knowing what a do-nothing character he turned out to be. Which is to say there's a problem when the sole symbol developed in-world to function as the crowning achievement signaling the culmination of a character's arc is rendered totally arbitrary. It's fine be flexible on the nature and merits of strength, as a broad concept-- but if it's actually just an empty title which doesn't even denote a basic degree of textual relevance, why bother.

That Nomura managed to (further) cheapen the Keyblade as a symbol also through Riku's story is an easy indication of just how he strives to overachieve. And hey, why do with two characters what can be accomplished with one.

Back