• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Why Does Atlantica Have No Heartless?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
Honestly, I thought KH2's Atlantica was ten times worse than KH1's Atlantica.
I think it depends on how you look at it, honestly. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you need to complete KH1 Atlantica to progress the story. You're pretty much forced to deal with the disagreeable controls, get lost, and get "Under the Sea" stuck in your head for the rest of the freaking week. KHII's was incredibly cringe-worthy and embarrassing to just watch, let alone play, but it's 100% optional. Unless you're a completionist, you can finish KHII without even visiting Atlantica.

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
I think it depends on how you look at it, honestly. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you need to complete KH1 Atlantica to progress the story. You're pretty much forced to deal with the disagreeable controls, get lost, and get "Under the Sea" stuck in your head for the rest of the freaking week. KHII's was incredibly cringe-worthy and embarrassing to just watch, let alone play, but it's 100% optional. Unless you're a completionist, you can finish KHII without even visiting Atlantica.
....I guess you're right. But I can deal with awful controls than music mini-game nonsense, but it's optional, so I guess both are equally bad in their own ways.

Wow, maybe we should create a thread about most hated worlds, haha.

Last edited:

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
....I guess you're right. But I can deal with awful controls than music mini-game nonsense, but it's optional, so I guess both are equally bad in their own ways.

Wow, maybe we should create a thread about most hated worlds, haha.

I would adore a "World Redemption" thread with a point by point outline of how people would fix it.

Hovhannes1998

How did people feel about the Atlantica in CoM? I honestly found it kind of enjoyable since there were no awful control issues or musical numbers. The only thing that bothered me were the fish that seemed to be flying to the point where it was really hard to hit them. Oh and the fact that we can't jump any higher underwater. Lol. As for answering the original question, I think it had to do with the fact that the fans hated the fight system so much, so Nomura made us time our button mashing instead.

Divine Past

Bronze Member
Awards
How did people feel about the Atlantica in CoM? I honestly found it kind of enjoyable since there were no awful control issues or musical numbers. The only thing that bothered me were the fish that seemed to be flying to the point where it was really hard to hit them. Oh and the fact that we can't jump any higher underwater. Lol.

Well I guess it was sort of memorable, which is more than I can say for the majority of COM disney world rooms. Then again that still wasn't good.

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
Lol the CoM version reminded me of SpongeBob. So unrealistically weird.

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
Uh... well, I honestly can't remember much about CoM other than the main story, which took place outside of those world-rooms. I guess CoM Atlantica failed to make much of an impression on me, like all the others.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
Ariel kicked all the Heartless' butts and the Nobodies couldn't invade because it's under the freaking water, like unless Xemnas is willing to degrade himself enough to transform into a sea cow it's not happening.

But seriously I don't get the KH1 Atlantica hate, it's one of my favorite worlds. It's highly interactive, it feels like you're constantly finding out about new places and shortcuts to get from one area to another, and Ariel was great as a party member. The fact that a lot of your abilities are totally useless because you're under water is a) like obvious because if you've ever gone swimming you realize pretty quickly you can't do things the same as on land and b) sets the world apart from all the others, challenging you to rethink your usual tactics at a late stage in the game. It really pulled the rug out from under the player; if you rely on dodge roll, too bad, oh you liked jumping, not possible under de water.

I just wish I could replace Under the Sea with Isn't It Lovely?, then it would be perfect.

Hovhannes1998

Ariel kicked all the Heartless' butts and the Nobodies couldn't invade because it's under the freaking water, like unless Xemnas is willing to degrade himself enough to transform into a sea cow it's not happening.

But seriously I don't get the KH1 Atlantica hate, it's one of my favorite worlds. It's highly interactive, it feels like you're constantly finding out about new places and shortcuts to get from one area to another, and Ariel was great as a party member. The fact that a lot of your abilities are totally useless because you're under water is a) like obvious because if you've ever gone swimming you realize pretty quickly you can't do things the same as on land and b) sets the world apart from all the others, challenging you to rethink your usual tactics at a late stage in the game. It really pulled the rug out from under the player; if you rely on dodge roll, too bad, oh you liked jumping, not possible under de water.

I just wish I could replace Under the Sea with Isn't It Lovely?, then it would be perfect.

Now that I think about it, it is similar to Pride Lands and Sora's inability to using many... abilities. I guess changing your specie affects how well you perform in battle. The biggest difference between the two worlds is that you don't get enemies 30 ft above your latitude in Pride Lands.

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
Now that I think about it, it is similar to Pride Lands and Sora's inability to using many... abilities. I guess changing your specie affects how well you perform in battle. The biggest difference between the two worlds is that you don't get enemies 30 ft above your latitude in Pride Lands.
That explains why I hated the Pride Lands in KH2.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
You can't Guard, you can't jump, and you can't use many skills, making them useless to equip in Atlantica.
Maybe this is why I wasn't bothered. Besides Jump, Glide, and Dodge Roll, I rarely use fighting abilities unless forced to. Like everything in KH2, Atlantica was SOOOOOO much worse. Someone was talking about KH2 Atlantica being optional, but so is KH1 Atlantica. You can skip one of Halloween Town, Atlantica, and Monstro.

As far as the swimming controls, I'm not sure how else they could've made them work besides assigning them to the square/circle buttons. Using the right analog stick in KH2 was worse. And the way you locking on to someone and triangle-ing up to them wouldn't work with a Heartless because they'd have attacked you by that point.

It's too bad we didn't actually visit the land area of Neverland in KH1, because we'll never be able to fly in that world either thanks to fans whining.

Divine Past

Bronze Member
Awards
Well, at least the KH1 Atlantica world has no singing Sora.

That's only because Sora learned his love for the musical arts while Namine was cleaning up his memories. She did warn us of collateral damage and boy did we get it...

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
Maybe this is why I wasn't bothered. Besides Jump, Glide, and Dodge Roll, I rarely use fighting abilities unless forced to. Like everything in KH2, Atlantica was SOOOOOO much worse. Someone was talking about KH2 Atlantica being optional, but so is KH1 Atlantica. You can skip one of Halloween Town, Atlantica, and Monstro.

As far as the swimming controls, I'm not sure how else they could've made them work besides assigning them to the square/circle buttons. Using the right analog stick in KH2 was worse. And the way you locking on to someone and triangle-ing up to them wouldn't work with a Heartless because they'd have attacked you by that point.

It's too bad we didn't actually visit the land area of Neverland in KH1, because we'll never be able to fly in that world either thanks to fans whining.

I totally agree. The person complaining about Guard, I mean seriously? Who uses Guard unless it's against Sephiroth or some OP boss that requires you to use that. I NEVER use Guard in the DISNEY worlds - ever - unless it's a requirement to defeat a heartless or boss. I didn't even realize people used Guard in regular play.

The controls in Atlantica were not bad, I think people were too whiny and didn't want to switch of the play style for a whole world. I thought that was genius for Atlantica. To be honest, Atlantica helped keep the game fresh in KH1. Not only that, but the world was so much fun to explore. I seriously never understood the issue with the controls in Atlantica because they work perfectly fine for me.

And I hate that because people complained and didn't want to take a few seconds to actually LEARN how to play in Atlantica, NeverLand is probably never coming back OR we just can't fly there. Thanks a lot for complaining and taking away great moments for us in Kingdom Hearts.

Emperor

And I hate that because people complained and didn't want to take a few seconds to actually LEARN how to play in Atlantica, NeverLand is probably never coming back OR we just can't fly there. Thanks a lot for complaining and taking away great moments for us in Kingdom Hearts.

Wait, the reason why Neverland won't come back is because of the flight controls? The only problem with that should be the limited space you have to use it due to the world basically being Captain Hook's ship. It's too easy to rectify that by just basing the setting of the world on the islands where you have more mobility. I can see why people complain about Atlantica's controls and the solutions used to try and fix them, but I can't wrap my mind around Neverland at all, especially since you can fly around in Days.

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
Wait, the reason why Neverland won't come back is because of the flight controls? The only problem with that should be the limited space you have to use it due to the world basically being Captain Hook's ship. It's too easy to rectify that by just basing the setting of the world on the islands where you have more mobility. I can see why people complain about Atlantica's controls and the solutions used to try and fix them, but I can't wrap my mind around Neverland at all, especially since you can fly around in Days.
I had no problem with flight either, just the space in the world.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I had no problem with flight either, just the space in the world.

Now this is just hypocrisy at its worst. Flying and swimming in KH1 are EXACTLY the same. So why is it an issue with swimming, but flight is fine? The experience of flying and swimming in KH1 were more or less the same, especially when fighting. That completely baffles me hearing people say that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back