• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Why I believe Kingdom hearts 3 was a disappointment Part 1

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

KillerCritic

Ungrateful? Look just because I'm disappointed with a game doesn't make me ungrateful. I actually use constructive criticism on the gameplay throughout and why I don't think its good. I'm not invalidating your opinion by saying I'm disappointed and expect better. Just as you're not a shill for liking KH3, I'm not ungrateful for wishing KH3 was better. Because I want the series to be the best it can be and I wouldn't feel proud of myself if I just chose to lie to myself about my real thoughts. Because I love this series. Because I think that after so many years of SE hyping up this game, the very least I should expect is a game on par with KH2 but I feel like I didn't get that. That's why I chose to make that video. To express my views.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
You made some fair points. It’s important to put these grievances out there regardless if the development team will listen to them.

I do think KH2FM set a certain standard people expect from the series, and it is hard to let go of those expectations when you know the dev team can do better.

At the same time, I don’t have the same regard for KH2 or KH2FM that a lot of people have and definitely remember the time when everybody hated it because it didn’t improve on KH1.

I don’t think KH3 failed at what it was trying to accomplish, though. A lot of the things you touch on were intentional design choices by the development team to make the game more accessible to a younger audience. They didn't want to alienate a younger audience because they wanted to make KH3 an entry point for a new generation of fans. The problem is that by doing this, they essentially alienated their older audience who have spent the better part of these long years really getting into the intricacies of past game mechanics.

There could have been a lot more consideration on how to balance out all of the different mechanics they had in KH3, but given the circumstances of this game's development cycle (engine switch, having to completely remake assets from outside firms because they were crap, pressure from Disney, pressure from SE's shareholders, etc.) I think the product we got was on par with the standard initial release of a mainline game.

I am eagerly awaiting your second part!

KillerCritic

You made some fair points. It’s important to put these grievances out there regardless if the development team will listen to them.

I do think KH2FM set a certain standard people expect from the series, and it is hard to let go of those expectations when you know the dev team can do better.

At the same time, I don’t have the same regard for KH2 or KH2FM that a lot of people have and definitely remember the time when everybody hated it because it didn’t improve on KH1.

I don’t think KH3 failed at what it was trying to accomplish, though. A lot of the things you touch on were intentional design choices by the development team to make the game more accessible to a younger audience. They didn't want to alienate a younger audience because they wanted to make KH3 an entry point for a new generation of fans. The problem is that by doing this, they essentially alienated their older audience who have spent the better part of these long years really getting into the intricacies of past game mechanics.

There could have been a lot more consideration on how to balance out all of the different mechanics they had in KH3, but given the circumstances of this game's development cycle (engine switch, having to completely remake assets from outside firms because they were crap, pressure from Disney, pressure from SE's shareholders, etc.) I think the product we got was on par with the standard initial release of a mainline game.

I am eagerly awaiting your second part!
The second part will really be diving into my bigger problems with the narrative as a whole.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
After watching that review I feel like such a noob for not knowing how OP the Olympus Keyblade is. On Critical Mode my two Keyblades are Kingdom Key and Ultima because of how fun their transformations are. The third option I usually leave for Wheel of Fate since I love how much range it gets. I didn't know the Kingdom Key and Olympus ones were so OP, even though I was using the Kingdom Key all through my Critical Mode run XD I'll have to try the Olympus one and it's perfect guard ability on my next playthrough to see and exploit how OP it is.

This was insightful. When is part 2 coming of this review?

Nukara

Awards
Oh my God.
This forum does everything to discourage me from remaining a fan of Kingdom hearts. ((
Seriously, almost every third topic is devoted to how bad or disappointing KH3 came out. ((

Sorry that I got a little angry. Just yes, people who told me to bypass such topics. But if almost every one of them is about what kind of KH3 disappointment. Willfully you will begin to cool down to the franchise. ((

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Oh my God.
This forum does everything to discourage me from remaining a fan of Kingdom hearts. ((
Seriously, almost every third topic is devoted to how bad or disappointing KH3 came out. ((

Again, I'm still confused why you are letting other people's opinions on the game influence your own? It's absolutely fine to like the game, just as it is absolutely fine to dislike the game.

If you love Kingdom Hearts, show it. I go out of my way to find things to post about KH that make me happy (usually on Twitter) and indulge in fan art and fan theories and other content to have fun.

For every third topic, there are still two topics about how good KH is or how people like KH or what they are looking forward to in the future.

Nukara

Awards
Sorry, but I unfortunately find this relatively small. There are sorely lacking topics where one can discuss theories or moments from the last part.

Perhaps this is due of course to the fact that the hype around KH3 has subsided.

Last edited:

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Yeah, Tartarus is right. Once the DLC is released people will be buzzing again. There is a bit of a lack of focus because nobody really knows where the series is going post-KH3.

But there are plenty of people theorizing, although a lot of that is happening on Twitter exclusively because it’s the more popular place to just ramble on to a targeted audience.

Twilight Lumiair

Awards
Perhaps this is due of course to the fact that the hype around KH3 has subsided.
If it was primarily the hype that kept people engaging in general discussions about theories and moments from the game, that kinda tells me the game didn't have much substance to chew on. Just surface level stuff with surface level appeal (go figure). Though that's just my own personal conclusions of course.

KillerCritic

After watching that review I feel like such a noob for not knowing how OP the Olympus Keyblade is. On Critical Mode my two Keyblades are Kingdom Key and Ultima because of how fun their transformations are. The third option I usually leave for Wheel of Fate since I love how much range it gets. I didn't know the Kingdom Key and Olympus ones were so OP, even though I was using the Kingdom Key all through my Critical Mode run XD I'll have to try the Olympus one and it's perfect guard ability on my next playthrough to see and exploit how OP it is.

This was insightful. When is part 2 coming of this review?
It will probably be up in 2 weeks. After that I'll make a series of videos describing how I would've fixed the plot and gameplay.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
OFFICIAL STAFF NOTICE: THIS TOPIC IS ABOUT KILLERCRITIC'S VIDEO IN RELATION TO THEIR EXPERIENCE WITH KINGDOM HEARTS III. THIS TOPIC IS NOT ABOUT OFFHANDED COMMENTS MADE BY OTHER USERS.

Please remember to be respectful to others, and show restraint against posting trollish comments, off-hand insults, use insulting or inflammatory language.

I have deleted all posts relating to the post that instigated that mess. While it was a post that was in response to the video posted, it incited comments which upset and offended others. Any further discussion relating to the since deleted post will be deleted and users may be warned for trollish or inflammatory behaviour.

Please keep discussion to KillerCritic's video and what they show and discuss. You don't have to agree or disagree but you do have to keep discussion on topic.

Thank you.

Veevee

Awards
Oh my God.

Sorry that I got a little angry. Just yes, people who told me to bypass such topics. But if almost every one of them is about what kind of KH3 disappointment. Willfully you will begin to cool down to the franchise. ((

I don't mean to be mean, but for every topic where someone precisely states what he / she doesn't like about KH3, someone comes around to complain about them not liking the game, ruining the fanbase, ruining the game for them. It's kinda annoying, sorry :/ . Most of the time they don't even want to discuss possible counter arguments but only complain about people complaining. There are a lot of positive topics around here and the game generally had very good sales and reviews, so there's your backup. This is a forum. People express their opinions and when most of them are negative, try to be constructive, post theories if you like, comment on theories and let other people have their opinions. I honestly don't really know why some people like the game so much because they don't go as much into the details (which would be interesting) and the ones who detail what the didn't like and on the other hand could go better.

Back to topic:
Many people claim the attraction stuff was so bad ... I have to admit that I didn't find it that bad. I hated the ship and the carusel because those too so damn long, but like the car shooting. My biggest gripe with the thing is that it's so anti-climatic and feels out of place. Everytime. ... I accidentally activated the stupid ship in the middle of the Dark Aqua fight and regretted it so hard. It felt so wrong. I don't mind them trying new stuff ... but I felt they overdid it in KH3 since they also wanted to include the old stuff. I honestly forgot that summons and flowmotion even existed.

I also liked the form changes as an idea. It makes keyblade more individual - there were a lot of keyblades in other KH games that I never used because they seemed useless to me from the get-go and by giving them individual transformations and the ability to switch through them fast, I was more inclined to use keyblades that I normally wouldn't. The downside was that many things didn't work really well in enclosed spaces because the camera would just go off to nowhere, you didn't even know what was happening and just waited until the thing was over. In regards to the difficulty, I can't say much - I mainly played for the story and I didn't have problems and that was fine with me. I can understand why people are bothered by the easyness though.

I agree with your video on the story parts. I loved that you brought up the Power of Waking specifically - I was so mad that we were never being told what it actually does, so it ultimately does EVERYTHING. It's the deux ex machine wake up people restore bodies reverse time whatever you need skill. It was once supposed to wake up people that are in some kind of coma and ultimately became this not understandable, ridiculous power of god.

I like to use the Robots in Toy Story. I like being big and destroy smaller things. I'm a small person. Don't mock me.

I agree with you on the Toy Story Vanitas cutscene. Not only I didn't find it funny, but it made no sense. Vanitas had awesome teleporting skills in BBS AND can use corridors of darkness and I have no idea why someone would think he'll just get caught by Sully, wiggles and bit and is being thrown into some doors which he apparently can't immediately come back from through a damn corridor.

God yes, why did they have to make this sequel bait. I was so angry to randomly see Ephemera appear, everyone looking for the stupid box and Maleficent being back to do nothing again and ultimately have the game end on a depressing note because happy endings are not edgy enough and what might be wrong with being able to completely abuse a power beyond the realm of space and time that you didn't even know you had just the day before? Hmm ...

So far I'm agreeing with you on most points and look forward to see the second part.

Nukara

Awards
I don't mean to be mean, but for every topic where someone precisely states what he / she doesn't like about KH3, someone comes around to complain about them not liking the game, ruining the fanbase, ruining the game for them. It's kinda annoying, sorry :/ . Most of the time they don't even want to discuss possible counter arguments but only complain about people complaining. There are a lot of positive topics around here and the game generally had very good sales and reviews, so there's your backup. This is a forum. People express their opinions and when most of them are negative, try to be constructive, post theories if you like, comment on theories and let other people have their opinions. I honestly don't really know why some people like the game so much because they don't go as much into the details (which would be interesting) and the ones who detail what the didn't like and on the other hand could go better.

Back to topic:
Many people claim the attraction stuff was so bad ... I have to admit that I didn't find it that bad. I hated the ship and the carusel because those too so damn long, but like the car shooting. My biggest gripe with the thing is that it's so anti-climatic and feels out of place. Everytime. ... I accidentally activated the stupid ship in the middle of the Dark Aqua fight and regretted it so hard. It felt so wrong. I don't mind them trying new stuff ... but I felt they overdid it in KH3 since they also wanted to include the old stuff. I honestly forgot that summons and flowmotion even existed.

I also liked the form changes as an idea. It makes keyblade more individual - there were a lot of keyblades in other KH games that I never used because they seemed useless to me from the get-go and by giving them individual transformations and the ability to switch through them fast, I was more inclined to use keyblades that I normally wouldn't. The downside was that many things didn't work really well in enclosed spaces because the camera would just go off to nowhere, you didn't even know what was happening and just waited until the thing was over. In regards to the difficulty, I can't say much - I mainly played for the story and I didn't have problems and that was fine with me. I can understand why people are bothered by the easyness though.

I agree with your video on the story parts. I loved that you brought up the Power of Waking specifically - I was so mad that we were never being told what it actually does, so it ultimately does EVERYTHING. It's the deux ex machine wake up people restore bodies reverse time whatever you need skill. It was once supposed to wake up people that are in some kind of coma and ultimately became this not understandable, ridiculous power of god.

I like to use the Robots in Toy Story. I like being big and destroy smaller things. I'm a small person. Don't mock me.

I agree with you on the Toy Story Vanitas cutscene. Not only I didn't find it funny, but it made no sense. Vanitas had awesome teleporting skills in BBS AND can use corridors of darkness and I have no idea why someone would think he'll just get caught by Sully, wiggles and bit and is being thrown into some doors which he apparently can't immediately come back from through a damn corridor.

God yes, why did they have to make this sequel bait. I was so angry to randomly see Ephemera appear, everyone looking for the stupid box and Maleficent being back to do nothing again and ultimately have the game end on a depressing note because happy endings are not edgy enough and what might be wrong with being able to completely abuse a power beyond the realm of space and time that you didn't even know you had just the day before? Hmm ...

So far I'm agreeing with you on most points and look forward to see the second part.
Yes, just positive topics are not gaining due attention, unlike negative ones. ((
But come on, I’ll try to finish the discussion that I started. ((

KillerCritic

Back to topic:

If you thought I was hating on the story in part 1... You haven't seen nothing yet....

Back