• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Why I can no longer play Dream Drop Distance, and fear I may not be able to play KH3

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

dlppictures

Awards
Website
dlppictures.blogspot.dk
I bought 2.8 FCP, I came home and played 0.2, then watched χ-BC, as those were the new additions to KH. The next day I booted up DDDHD with some anxiety, as I had been told the game would now be 60 fps, which I am personally not a fan of. Everything looked normal at first, but that could be because of the difficulty in changing the framerate of cutscenes, I thought to myself.
Cue the Ursula fight.

Oh, my head, everything was so fast, and disorienting. Within a minute of the beginning of gameplay I had a horrible headache. 60 fps is the bane of my gaming experience.

Imagine this: Aim both of your eyes at your nose. For some people it takes a few seconds, for others a while longer, but you start to feel a pain, striking down in-between your eyes. Now multiply that pain by the amount of time it takes to defeat Ursula, and find the first save point in Traverse Town, and that is how long, I had to endure the pain, as I honestly did want to play through the game again in HD to see how different the game would feel on a console instead of a hand-held. Something which is definitely not going to happen now, as I almost had to vomit, when I turned the game off.

In an older thread, I did mention that I was not a fan of 60 fps, as it gave me a head-ache. In response, I was told, it was the equivalent of getting motion-sickness from real life, as 60 fps is closer to real life.

I didn’t know how to respond to that. The only comparison to use I could think of was 3D technology in movies. For many it is the logical step into the future of film making, for others it’s just a stupid gimmick to earn more money at the theaters, and for others, it literally makes it impossible to watch a movie in theaters with friends, as they get motion-sickness from the 3D. How do we know, that it is a real problem that some people get motion-sickness from watching a movie? Because 2D-glasses were invented.

https://www.2d-glasses.com/

A piece of technology, so stupid, that it shouldn’t be possible to exist, but they do. And it would be wonderful, if something could be done to help those of us, who cannot play 60 fps for more than 10 seconds at a time.

I was a huge fan of the Tekken series, back in the day. One of my very first games was Tekken 2, and I played through Tekken 4 & 5, more times than I can count, so I was excited when I got home with my new copy of Tekken 6, and I had to let it down after only a few matches, as I had a weird head-ache I hadn’t experienced in games before. That was my very first encounter with 60 fps. I paid full prize for Tekken 6 when it came out, and only touched it for a couple of minutes, as I could never get myself to pick it up again. I have played T4 and T5 several times since then, but I never touched T6 and only tried out Tekken Tag 2, at a party with some friends. Same problem.

It is also becoming increasingly difficult to watch YouTube videos in HD, as more and more HD videos are automatically set to 60 fps, thus forcing me to downgrade the video-quality to 480p. More and more games are made with 60 fps, advertised as if 30 fps is the spawn of Lucifer.

With DDD HD being 60 fps, and 1.5+2.5 advertised to be as well, I fear that KH3 will be as well, thus making it unplayable for me.

Is it really that time-consuming, and difficult to make it possible for the player to choose between 30 and 60 fps? Of course it means extra work, but it cannot be impossible.

Does anyone share my problem, or am I alone with this?
And will I have to give up gaming from here on out?

:(

DualWielding

Sorry to hear about your situation man... I don't have problem with 60fps but I have a problem very similar to what you describe with first person games... I simply cannot play any games in first person without getting motion sick... The good news for you is that I doubt Kingdom Hearts 3 will be 60 fps because it would be a much more visually advance game than DDD or 1.5 and 2.5 (0.2 was not 60 fps)

Precursor Mar

Nioh's got you covered fam.

nioh-ps4-pro-options-195769.jpg

Alpha Sonix

If it's any consolation I doubt KH3 will be 60FPS on a normal PS4. Because the PS4 Pro has an extra 1GB of DDR3 RAM that it now uses for non-gaming applications, there's more DDR5 RAM to use for game performance which is why it's easier to make things 60FPS on the Pro. As long as you stick with OG PS4, you shouldn't see any more than 30FPS on that console when it comes to KH3. And yeah, as Precursor Mar's also helpfully put up, as long as Square allow for options like the above then it should be fine on Pro too.

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards
Oof, sorry, man. My dad has a similar problem, he physically can't play 3D games anymore because of his eyes. Just be careful, do you have glasses? It might help some. Personally, I can't even tell the difference between 30 and 60, but if it's causing problems for people like you then I don't see why putting in some sort of framerate option could do anything else but help out the customers and expand the game to a wider base.

kirabook

Bronze Member
Awards
This is why I sometimes get bothered by some gamers who insist games that don't run at 60fps are inferior or bad. I'm not saying that developers shouldn't strive for 60 or to improve their games (especially action games), but 60fps is not good for everyone, just like 3D. 3D movies can give me a headache if I'm not careful.

For the first time last week, I saw DDD in 60fps. I haven't tried it myself yet, but it will be interesting. I hope that games start to include the option for both because 60fps is not the end all be all of gaming.

dbG33K

How do you do with 0.2? Granted, 0.2 isn't a locked 60fps like DDD is, but my theory is that 60fps is handled differently with games built with high framerates in mind. Games that originally weren't designed for variable fps (ie made for different systems that might output a variety of fps's), if they are then "upgraded" to output in 60fps, it just seems sped up, unless a MASSIVE overhaul is done (perhaps as massive as overhauling the game's engine itself), adding in frames to model behavior (EVERY SINGLE model and EVERY SINGLE behavior) and camera movement, etc.

To my eye, DDD feels simply "too fast" Whereas 0.2, which can hit 60fps on PS4 Pro, it looks "smooth" rather than "too fast." For my personal playthrough of 2.8's DDD, I've switched camera sensitivity to Low, and it's far more tolerable, but still doesn't feel as smooth and clear as a game created with 60fps in mind.

I think KH3 will have a better high framerate capability than DDD, since it is being developed with high framerates in mind. Model behaviors are being created at 60fps, and designed to be downscaled to 30, if the hardware demands it.

KH2Rulz

Awards
Just curiously, I know some TVs have the option of locking a show back down to 30fps (or 24fps). I think it's sometimes called Theatre Mode or similar. Does that work for the PS4 output?

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
It's a rare case that 60fps makes people motion sick compared to 30fps-- regardless, it should be an option in all games that run at 60 if even a small demographic feels sick and can no longer enjoy the game.

Luckily for you, KH3 will not run at 60-- on the PS4 pro it'll likely run at a nauseating 25-45 at any given moment, and on regular PS4 it'll run at an OK 30 that dips to 24 more than it should

In any case, DDD in 60fps made it fun for me, but it stinks that you didn't enjoy it.

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
Rare? This isn't the first time I've heard of 60 fps giving people headaches or making them outright motion sick. I remember playing on PC at a friend's house and needing to take a break about 30 minutes later because the framerate gave me a nauseating headache. Of course, it was a lot worse then because I couldn't sit several feet away from the monitor, but I digress. I've mostly gotten used to HDDD (as in, it doesn't give me a headache the first time), but it's be nice to have the option to just stay at 30 fps if we wanted to.

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
Rare? This isn't the first time I've heard of 60 fps giving people headaches or making them outright motion sick. I remember playing on PC at a friend's house and needing to take a break about 30 minutes later because the framerate gave me a nauseating headache. Of course, it was a lot worse then because I couldn't sit several feet away from the monitor, but I digress. I've mostly gotten used to HDDD (as in, it doesn't give me a headache the first time), but it's be nice to have the option to just stay at 30 fps if we wanted to.

I suppose I mean 'rare' in the sense that you'll find that the majority of regular video game players enjoy 60fps more; amongst those who enjoy 30fps more you may find a good number of people who are only that way through acclimation; this is commonplace especially in people who only play Japanese RPGs like Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts. For the most part, 60 fps games have always had a place in my life with titles like Super Smash Bros, F Zero X, PC games, etc. DDD was no hard adjustment for me but I understand why some people may not immediately prefer it; doubling the amount of FPS one is used to isn't an easy switch to make

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back