• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Who do you consider the main lead of birth by sleep?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxycian

Awards
Hello I opened this topic is to state something, first, i know all 3 are equally main characters even the villain is important, however about the main lead role of this game, I would honestly say it’s a tie between Terra and Ventus, Aqua is also important but her story wasn’t that crucial until the end part of the game, she has a bigger role now that the boys are out of the picture, so yea she now is the main hero and the sole main character of her trio, but imo all three are still equally main characters, two important in terms of the story plot and one in terms of more gameplay and hero role, from what I saw I would say birth by sleep Is more focused toward all three but more towards Ventus and terra, while birth by sleep final mix is focused towards all three equally cause Aqua got more stuff to do like the secret ep, and 0.2 is where Aqua is truly the sole protagonist while Ventus and terra are support characters, point is i prefer this trio to remain all equally main characters like how they supposed to be that’s what makes them different then the other two trios.

it’s like Nier basically

2b = terra (2b 9s and A2 are the the main characters however just like 2B, terra got knocked out of the board early)

9s = Ventus (just like 9s, bbs story focus around all three friends but Ventus got a little bit more cause he has a connection to pretty much all the kingdom hearts characters)

A2 = Aqua ( canonwise A2 fights the final boss like aqua but still she is just one of the main characters along side 2B and 9s there is no single main character)

Edit: I had to re-edited my comment cause I had come to conclusion that I was bit rash and new at this but now I fixed it.

Last edited:

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I think it probably comes down to her being the only Keyblade Master of the trio and the only one to "survive". She also got her own spin-off, so that kind of solidifies that she's the main character of the three.

Foxycian

Awards
I think it probably comes down to her being the only Keyblade Master of the trio and the only one to "survive". She also got her own spin-off, so that kind of solidifies that she's the main character of the three.
yea but the spin off doesn't count 2.0 didn't happen until recently im talking about bbs in general

Twilight Lumiair

Awards
Well, considering that, out of her Ventus, and Terra, she was the one not directly tied to Xehanort's plans and could therefore intervene with them from the outside. By that I mean you could view her as the active protagonist trying to stop things from happening rather than progress them the way Terra and Ven ultimately did (they mostly acted within the machinations of Xehanort, if unknowingly). Also, just in terms of screen time, Aqua has her own story, is the playable character of the final episode (in which she fights the final main story boss of the whole game, and is the catalyst for pretty much everything that occured with Apprentice Xehanort after that point), and is the playable character in the secret episode (which directly ties into the rest of the series via blank points). So just by that, it's valid to call her the main character in that sense.

She could also be considered the spiritual predecessor to Sora (the MC of the whole series, at least according to Nomura), due to the strong thematic parallels between the two, their similar affinity for establishing strong connections with people and using that to augment their own strength (this one of Sora's main abilities throughout the series, recently further honed via the heart binders, and Aqua replicates this same ability using D-links, a magic she created and imbeud onto her wayfinders, which she also created), their similar character traits, and Aqua placing her faith in him to mitigate a potential mistake on Terra's end (likely predicting that if Terra truly chose Riku, whatever he saw in him might've been the same cause for Terra's own personal struggles with darkness). Of course, no two characters in the series are *completely* alike, but the thematic connections between the two do link their status to many people. Other than this, she's arguably the most fully realized out of the core characters (not counting KH3, which in several ways detracts from the character), as she was the one who changed and endured the most from the events.

In the end, almost every protagonist can be considered the hero of their own story, and one could argue it's just as much Terra, Ventus, and Xehanort's story as it was Aqua's, and that's not wrong. But looking at it in the context of a video game, Aqua's story is the most prominent in terms of playtime and overall significance. Or at least, that's what it seems like to me.

Last edited:

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
KINGDOM HEARTS Birth by Sleep was part of a trio of projects (358/2 Days and coded) meant to explore certain aspects that Tetsuya Nomura wanted to portray. Birth by Sleep's was to explore Apprentice Xehanort's past. You could make an argument that, just because of this, that both Terra and Master Xehanort were the main characters of BbS.

But of course, you can tell a story about some characters, and they don't necessarily have to be the only main characters. In this case, the spotlight was shared with Aqua, Ventus and Vanitas. And from a narrative point of view, it made sense for Aqua to have gotten the rest of the spotlight sharing time. Xehanort finally got into Terra's body, but circumstances fucked up his plan, plus Ventus was comatosed, so Aqua had to walk in.

Foxycian

Awards
KINGDOM HEARTS Birth by Sleep was part of a trio of projects (358/2 Days and coded) meant to explore certain aspects that Tetsuya Nomura wanted to portray. Birth by Sleep's was to explore Apprentice Xehanort's past. You could make an argument that, just because of this, that both Terra and Master Xehanort were the main characters of BbS.

But of course, you can tell a story about some characters, and they don't necessarily have to be the only main characters. In this case, the spotlight was shared with Aqua, Ventus and Vanitas. And from a narrative point of view, it made sense for Aqua to have gotten the rest of the spotlight sharing time. Xehanort finally got into Terra's body, but circumstances fucked up his plan, plus Ventus was comatosed, so Aqua had to walk in.
It’s interesting to know the whole kingdom hearts story revolve around xehanort more then sora.

Last edited:

Muke

whatever
Awards
How on earth does BBS revolve around Terra? If anything, BBS' story revolves around the sibling-like friendship of TAV and how that friendship got teared apart because of Xehanort. And within that story, Aqua is the main character because of obvious things pointed out in the thread already. It's always her to close off worlds (and the story!), she gets to fight the "big guy" aka Terranort, and she ends up being the only one alive/conscious (although trapped somewhere else), and she is the only character to get "her" spin-off. I don't really think this should be up to debate..

Foxycian

Awards
How on earth does BBS revolve around Terra? If anything, BBS' story revolves around the sibling-like friendship of TAV and how that friendship got teared apart because of Xehanort. And within that story, Aqua is the main character because of obvious things pointed out in the thread already. It's always her to close off worlds (and the story!), she gets to fight the "big guy" aka Terranort, and she ends up being the only one alive/conscious (although trapped somewhere else), and she is the only character to get "her" spin-off. I don't really think this should be up to debate..
cause the main focus was terra? aqua didn't become important until the last ep where she gets extra ep even ventus felt like main character compare to her honestly

Muke

whatever
Awards
cause the main focus was terra? aqua didn't become important until the last ep where she gets extra ep even ventus felt like main character compare to her honestly
Could you explain why you think that the focus was on Terra and not on all three protagonists?

BurningPhoenix

I signed up here purely to add to this thread, though i daresay I'll now have a look around and maybe comment elsewhere :)

I agree somewhat that Aqua is the main character purely because you play as her and she's the one mopping up situations after the Terra and Ven. But you only play as her longer because the story isn't finished yet and the Terra and Ven are out of commission so to speak.

Is she a good main character? Not a chance. Heres were my feelings on the game coincide with Foxycains. I enjoy the game and am invested in Terra and Ven stories, their feelings what happening to them etc over Aquas. Terras fate is the one that grips me the most and to me hes the most misunderstood character in KH, but thats for a different thread. Soon as its time to play Aqua, the only thing i look forward to is Vanitas showing up, Terra and Ven interactions and fighting Terranort towards the end. None of my Birth by Sleep experiences made me invested in Aqua. 0.2? Going around Dark World is fun, seeing Terra, Ven, Terranort? Great Stuff. Playing as Aqua yet again? No thanks. TLDR Main character due to how story plays out, Sure. A good one, No.

Foxycian

Awards
Could you explain why you think that the focus was on Terra and not on all three protagonists?
Well... you're not wrong, all 3 are equally main characters, however if I recall the story of bbs was made to explain the origin of apprentice xehanort, which is Xehanort+Terra, eitherway in terms of the story plot both terra and ven had more important role and connection to the story then Aqua, I know she’s important too but her role and involvement to the story didn’t start until the final episode, and like some already pointed out, that she was the only one that wasn’t targeted by xehanort which why she can move freely, again you’re not wrong all of them are still main characters and important to the story of kingdom hearts, but if I had to pick a true main protagonist then it’s not Aqua, she is the protagonist of the sequel but that’s all, the original game had 3 protagonist and aqua certainly wasn’t important until the extra stuff final boss+secret ep.

Last edited:

levarjavontae

KH dialogue is pretty cringey all around but BBS is by far the most unrealistic in terms of characterization and dialogue outside of maybe Sora in KH1 not sobbing Nox Vidmate VLC over his island being destroyed with everyone he ever knew

Last edited:

hanifanze

hello i played birth by sleep a lot and despite there are 3 main characters i always assumed there's one character that is more important then the other 2 just like sora riku and kairi etc so anyhow, one interview of nomura i just found out that really confused me, in that interview nomura said Aqua is the main character of birth by sleep but that's not what i remember at all, the center focus of birth by sleep is Terra, in kh2 we meet him first and the secret ending focuses around him the most and in birth by sleep opening you'll notice it focuses on terra the most, then there's the story of birth by sleep and the story revolve around terra yet again, the story ofOnlinesbi sudoku aadhar card Solitaire birth by sleep is that master eraqus sends terra to investigate the problem of the unversed and it's also a second chance for him to become a master,
1) ventus story is just chasing after terra to bring him back
2) Aqua story is to bring ventus back but also to follow eraqus order to keep a close eye on terra in case he fails to control his darkness
3) master xehanorts wants terra as a vessel and keeps tricking and lures him away from home to have his way
4) vanitas is after ventus but it's also part of xehanort plan to lure terra away from home
5) master eraqus thinks of terra the most cause of the darkness in him
6) Braig tricks terra to unleash his darkness and even buy some time till xehanort have his way with terra in the final battle
the story of terra revolve around him meanwhile story of ventus and aqua revolve around finding or saving terra, the story of terra is the most important in birth by sleep cause it teaches us the story on how it all started, like who is xehanort who is ansem and xemnas and why apprentice xehanort look like terra, the story of bbs clears that but i still don't get how is aqua the main character just cause she have importance at the end of a game all of a sudden, she only have length of one extra world in her story but how does that make her the main character? im confused tbh can someone clarify and please explain this? thank you in advance if you do.
Aqua is the main character because of obvious things pointed out in the thread already. It's always her to close off worlds (and the story!), she gets to fight the "big guy" aka Terranort, and she ends up being the only one alive/conscious (although trapped somewhere else), and she is the only character to get "her" spin-off.

Last edited:

Keyblade07

well to put it simply they are all equally main characters, however you could say Aqua is the main hero but not necessarily the true main Character or the most important one, there’s a difference. it’s basically like this, the story is mostly about xehanort terra and ventus, As for Aqua she didn’t have much of an importance to the plot of the franchise as a whole as much as the other two but still she becomes the main hero trying to save them, same can be said about kh3D in that game both Sora and riku are equally main characters and important to the plot but riku becomes the main hero at the end thats why he gets more things to do in his final battle, all three of them are still main characters, one of them was simply lucky enough to not be targeted by the main villain which what gave her the mobility to have more gameplay and story.

Last edited:

Eonstar890

Awards
If Aqua being a main character is still confusing just watch the opening cinematic for 0.2 a fragmentary passage. And before anyone says 0.2 doesn’t count, the entire opening cutscene is a reflection of BBS not 0.2

Keyblade07

If Aqua being a main character is still confusing just watch the opening cinematic for 0.2 a fragmentary passage. And before anyone says 0.2 doesn’t count, the entire opening cutscene is a reflection of BBS not 0.2
Well to be fair 2.0 is where we can call her a true main protagonist cause the story revolves around her, in birth by sleep they all had it equally as main characters, but the story of birth by sleep still revolved around Terra and Ventus the most, Aqua on the other hand is also important ofc but her not being targeted by xehanort is what gave her the chance to shine at the end and Do more stuff, in Kh3D both Sora and Riku are main characters but Riku becomes the main hero by the end to save Sora, so I guess Aqua is the same and can be viewed as the main hero, but either way they are all main characters and important to the story of birth by Sleep.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back