• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Why is remind and MoM part of phase 2?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

AegisXIII

Awards
That's a question that is bugging me since we got this graph.
1605730201508.png

I would have thought that the phase 1 would end after the so called xehanort saga. But ReMind is all about the xehanort saga as it revolves a lot about xehanort motivations.
As for MoM, the whole game is an compilation of the best moments of the dark seeker saga. It's its epilogue. Why is it not the last game of phase 1?
Is it just a financial split?
Does anyone have any clue?

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
My best guess is, that it's because they set up the next phase. ReMind established what everyone was doing and put Riku on his path for the next phase and MoM established a new "Realm" that'll most likely be relevant, while also placing characters into their starting position for the Phase proper.

Honestly ReMind and MoM probably just form the bridge between the Phases, being part of both phases. Though I could just as easily see their inclusion in phase two being more for marketing reasons than really narrative ones.

okhi12

Awards
Good question. Maybe it's just a conceptual standpoint, with Sora's disappearance (or Sora meeting Yozora) as the point on which phase 2 starts, and Remind came out after Sora disappeared in Vanilla KH3 to explain how it happened. Then it elaborated on the consequences, setting the other characters in motion so they are in the proper places for phase 2. ReMind and MoM did that which is why they are included as part of phase 2, I think.

Edit: I've been ninja'd by Adrian XXII, haha.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Yeah despite technically being a part of phase 2 MoM's and Re:MIND's ties to Xehanort doesn't make it feel quite like a new beginning.

I'm hoping the next major title after the break is totally Xehanort free outside of a mention or two. Then it will truly feel like the start of the next story arc

KeyToDestiny

Awards
Even the next major title being in
Spoiler Spoiler Show
will find some way to have Xehanort have some involvement there given what MoM revealed to us about him. Nomura just loves his Norts lol.

bambii

Awards
Website
twitter.com
For me, it was clear from the opening scenes of ReMind that we were entering new narrative territory. Sure, the Xigbar/Luxord scene is chronologically from early KH3, and the YX/MoM scene from *who knows when*, but their narrative subtext was overall concerned with something fresh/mysterious/forward-looking, even as they looked backward. Of course, there’s plenty of this sprinkled throughout KH3 as well, but as players our primary concern was with the culmination of the 13 vs 7.

I agree though that Remind/MoM fall into a liminal space between stories but I definitely maintain that they are forward-looking in spite of the re-treads of previous events, now that the final battle is over. They’re distinctly re-contextualizing what we know to prepare us for a new story. It's all setup - kind of like an Overture prior to the Symphony proper?

Last edited:

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
ReMind is a post-Xehanort saga entry because it starts when Sora travels back in time after defeating Xehanort. So despite the first part of ReMind being centred around Xehanort and the battle against the Seekers of Darkness again, he's not the focus this time around. The focus of the plot is altering history so that Kairi gets rescued, Xehanort just so happens to be the obstacle.

Dark Road is a game that has Xehanort as the playable character, so the conflict isn't really centred around him for that game. Regarding Melody of Memory...
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Xehanort is going to be referenced but he's not going to be an antagonistic force stopping the heroes this time around.

Katsagu

Awards
They're games that are already dealing with what comes next.
Re:Mind only because it has the yozora battle and all of that.
Dark Road because whatever happens there relating with the other keyblade wielders is important for whatever reason for what mickey will do.
MoM also because it is related with finding sora.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
As the others have said, it is because these entries have direct ties to the new saga. They are definitely a narrative book-end for the Xehanort Saga, but they establish key aspects of the new saga.

NoWay

Awards
I think ReMind itself or Sora’s adventure belongs to phase 1 but Limit Cut and the Secret Episode belong to Phase 2. It’s just my own headcanon.

horto12485

Awards
Think about it it's like The Marvel Cinematic Universe expect Kingdom Hearts is a Video Game Series and these Two Entries has tie ins to the Next Saga.

AR829038

Awards
I think the demarcation from Nomura's standpoint is basically where Xehanort himself dies. ReMIND could be considered both narratively and thematically a prologue leading into phase 2 rather than an epilogue of phase 1. Same thing with MoM. But the line is blurry, and I think the more hard-line boundary they're drawing is only for convenience's sake.
I've noticed a trend in the KH series, and that's that every earlier saga rests within the one that follows it. Each succeeding saga takes place both before and after the saga that came before it. If we consider KH1, CoM, and KH2 together as being the first unofficial saga in the series (thematically and in terms of the story, there's a very clear distinction between these three core games and all the ones that came after it—they were about Sora, Riku, and Kairi more than anybody else, whereas all subsequent games have been about Xehanort and his machinations, for instance), then everything after KH2 up until the end of KH3 (not including Union X) can be considered the Xehanort saga. KH1, CoM, and KH2 fit within that saga chronologically, but narratively they are a distinct phase of the story. Likewise, KHX/Union X is the first story we get in the new Foreteller saga, even though narratively it takes place earlier than every other game. Same thing with Dark Road.
So, we have the Xehanort saga now being flanked on both sides by the Foretellers saga—Union X and DR in the past, ReMIND and MoM in the future, and I expect that they will continue to expand the story in both directions.

GreyouTT

Awards
I'm still wondering what those arrows in the center of the boxes mean. Do they imply that they lead into each other like a zig zag? But if that's the case, what is in that bottom box that points to UXDR?

AegisXIII

Awards
I'm still wondering what those arrows in the center of the boxes mean. Do they imply that they lead into each other like a zig zag? But if that's the case, what is in that bottom box that points to UXDR?
Maybe rereleases?

Back