• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Why kingdom hearts 4, and beyond will be more emotional in the next saga

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Awards
I do believe this. It will be more emotional, and I will do this in a list instead. And why characters from the past saga would dampen it.

1:Marluxia and his sister reunion. This one is a long way off, but when this happens it will Oscar worthy. Imagine the feeling that marluxia finds his sister after all these year's. It's gonna be more dramatic than the A.X.R. reunion.

2: There's probably gonna be a emotional scene with M.O.M. and his Apprentices. Don't what will be in it, but it's possible there will be some tears nearing the final battle with the master of masters.

3:Skuld (patient X) is reunited with lea, and isa. Now how could this be more emotional when lea already reunited? Well from a human perspective, it's gonna be heart wrenching because Skuld is finally saved lea & isa. The people that promised to get her back, and probably was waiting for. It's gonna be awesome when that happens.

And finally the big one: I believe will be more emotional than all the final battle reunions combined is ventus meeting all of the 2nd gen foretellers. Especially since his chrithy is back, it's gonna bring back memories that are gonna pour through ventus. Hopefully he'll has his original keyblade from the church era by then. I can't wait for this to happen, and I will cry my eyes out when it does.

Now I know people want character development for past characters like xion, roxas, terra, and aqua. But to me, they had their happy ending & it could dampen the emotional potential of the next saga. Please tell me what you think about this.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I think that it is all subjective, but also you are really failing to take into consideration that the reason people were attached to characters before was due to our repeated exposure to them and their problems over a period of 10+ years.

These new characters and character relations hardly have the same level of development or depth to them. I could care less about Skuld’s relationship to Isa and Lea because we have nothing to show from it besides knowing it is a thing that exists.

I don’t particularly care about the Foretellers at the current time, nor am I all that attached to their relationship with the MoM considering we never see anything that would make us believe their relationship as a pseudo-family unit. MoM led them all to failure. I can’t really find myself getting emotional over their reunion with him.

I’m not even sure I will be emotional over Lauriam and Strelitzia reuniting because we never see anything about them as brother and sister that makes their relationship compelling to an audience.

And this isn’t anything against these characters. I have my favorites among the UX cast and definitely feel emotional connections to Ephemer, Skuld, Ava, Strelitzia, and the others, but the games have done nothing to really make many of these new relationships matter to the audience.

It doesn’t help that main story updates now UX are so far and few between that sometimes it is easy to forget when the last main story plot update was.

And again, time and exposure is a major thing here. We haven’t spent nearly enough time with these characters, and the nature of their exposure has made it difficult for the mass audience to feel a connection to them.

I can’t imagine the two games Nomura has planned will solve any of these issues and instead serve to expose how undercooked these various plot threads are.

I’m jaded, though. I don’t think Nomura is going to fix any of his narrative shortcomings anytime soon before this new saga reaches a head, and I am personally convinced this saga will end just as rushed as KH3 was.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
I barely know the Union X characters and I have no emotional ties to any of them. Maybe for you Marluxia reuniting with his sister will be highly emotional but for me? I didn't even know he had a sister until last year and I know nothing about her. Marluxia's also not a personal favorite of mine. I like him, but there are better Organization members, so unless his sister really gets hyped up before KH4 I'm neutral on this.

I don't know who subject X is but as of right now there is no way a reunion of her, Isa, and Lea are even on the same level as RAX or TAV for me. I have no problem with retcon characters. Xion's a retcon character and I love her. But Subject X as of right now is just a poor man's Xion. Introduced at the climax of a already filled saga, when the story is too deep to squeeze in another character. I have no emotional stakes for whatever X+Isa+Lea is suppose to be. I only care about it because it might give RAX and Isa something to do, and that is the only reason I care for Subject X.

The Foreteller reuniting with MoM? Is there more to Back Cover that I'm missing? Because minus Ava, the Foretellers come across as jerks and nothing about them screams "emotional heartwarming reunion" Ava is the only one I can say I like.

TAV, RAX,Namine, and the others have had years of emotional buildup through numerous games. The Foretellers aren't even in the same league as them as far as I can tell. I certainly want to see more of the Foretellers, learn about them, and grow to love them too. But from what I've seen so far? There's a reason I hope the old cast stick around.

Last edited:

Divine Past

Bronze Member
Awards
I mean maybe Nomura will write it better after the experience of KH3 but I think for me and quite a few others KH3 soured us a bit on emotional reunions given how it turned out.

Nexale

I do believe this. It will be more emotional, and I will do this in a list instead. And why characters from the past saga would dampen it. [...] Now I know people want character development for past characters like xion, roxas, terra, and aqua. But to me, they had their happy ending & it could dampen the emotional potential of the next saga. Please tell me what you think about this.

Well, I definitely agree KH4 will be more emotional than KH3, if only because Nomura would have to try really hard to make it less emotional than KH3, a game about healing the pain from the past and saving lost people. And indeed it does. In one shoot. A hug without any closure or explanation about anything (or less of a hug with Namine). I don't call that to have a "happy ending", just a bad joke on the gamer: It would have been like ending the Harry Potter saga with Harry's death in the 7th book and read the epilogue to find just the sentence "But he revived, saved Hogwarts and live happily ever after".
So, yes, is like Divine Past said, I'm still bitter about this. Don't have any expectations on this question because new characters, even if I end caring about them like I care for the original cast, won't probably have their plots conveniently close to call it "emotional".

SweetYetSalty said:
Because minus Ava, the Foretellers come across as jerks and nothing about them screams "emotional heartwarming reunion" Ava is the only one I can say I like.

All of the Foretellers except Ava come as jerks? I'm not particularly fond of anyone of them, basically because they still don't have enough character development, but I wouldn't call them jerks. I agree I don't see them having a hearwarming reunion, especially because they haven't split up between them, and their relationship with MoM was Teacher-Pupil over friendship (it will be like pretending Sora to have a heartwarming reunion with Yen Sid), so, no. But that is not a reason to call them "not emotional" or "jerks".
All right, Aced is plainly stupid. But Ira seems like a good guy trying, without succes, to do what was right and saving the world (he forgave Ace without bearing ill will, after all); Invi looks like a mislead Aqua, formal and caring about her partners even if they are not directly her friends, but lacking the flexibility to help them get along or to disobey orders to evit the war; and Gula is cocky, yes, but also seems to care about Ava. Yes, for sure they are going to end up being the bad guys, probably in same kind of Knight Templar fashion, but "jerks"... for what I see they don't seem so.
With proper building I believe they could have emotionally moments between them if we get to know more about their relationship and motivations. What I fear is not the fact that we lack the proper build up to care for them in a future or to like them, is just the fact that they will, too, be forget and their conclusions rushed up for the new great idea Nomura will come with.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
Well, I definitely agree KH4 will be more emotional than KH3, if only because Nomura would have to try really hard to make it less emotional than KH3, a game about healing the pain from the past and saving lost people. And indeed it does. In one shoot. A hug without any closure or explanation about anything (or less of a hug with Namine). I don't call that to have a "happy ending", just a bad joke on the gamer: It would have been like ending the Harry Potter saga with Harry's death in the 7th book and read the epilogue to find just the sentence "But he revived, saved Hogwarts and live happily ever after".
So, yes, is like Divine Past said, I'm still bitter about this. Don't have any expectations on this question because new characters, even if I end caring about them like I care for the original cast, won't probably have their plots conveniently close to call it "emotional".

All of the Foretellers except Ava come as jerks? I'm not particularly fond of anyone of them, basically because they still don't have enough character development, but I wouldn't call them jerks. I agree I don't see them having a hearwarming reunion, especially because they haven't split up between them, and their relationship with MoM was Teacher-Pupil over friendship (it will be like pretending Sora to have a heartwarming reunion with Yen Sid), so, no. But that is not a reason to call them "not emotional" or "jerks".
All right, Aced is plainly stupid. But Ira seems like a good guy trying, without succes, to do what was right and saving the world (he forgave Ace without bearing ill will, after all); Invi looks like a mislead Aqua, formal and caring about her partners even if they are not directly her friends, but lacking the flexibility to help them get along or to disobey orders to evit the war; and Gula is cocky, yes, but also seems to care about Ava. Yes, for sure they are going to end up being the bad guys, probably in same kind of Knight Templar fashion, but "jerks"... for what I see they don't seem so.
With proper building I believe they could have emotionally moments between them if we get to know more about their relationship and motivations. What I fear is not the fact that we lack the proper build up to care for them in a future or to like them, is just the fact that they will, too, be forget and their conclusions rushed up for the new great idea Nomura will come with.

You're right about Ira and Aced. But I stand by my comment for Invi and Gula. They shut each other down, even when Aced was trying to get them to work together. Aced might be stupid, but at least he tried something, screw the master's teaching. And this is a personal thing for me, but Gula just comes off jerky. Like not in the entertaining way either. Again, I don't hate the Foretellers but at the current time I'm not emotionally invested in any of them outside maybe Ava. I want to like them, give them a chance, and see more of them. I think that's my problem. I haven't been exposed to them for nearly as long as the Xehanort saga cast. I need more of them before I can say I truly care about them.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I do believe this. It will be more emotional, and I will do this in a list instead. And why characters from the past saga would dampen it.

1:Marluxia and his sister reunion. This one is a long way off, but when this happens it will Oscar worthy. Imagine the feeling that marluxia finds his sister after all these year's. It's gonna be more dramatic than the A.X.R. reunion.

2: There's probably gonna be a emotional scene with M.O.M. and his Apprentices. Don't what will be in it, but it's possible there will be some tears nearing the final battle with the master of masters.

3:Skuld (patient X) is reunited with lea, and isa. Now how could this be more emotional when lea already reunited? Well from a human perspective, it's gonna be heart wrenching because Skuld is finally saved lea & isa. The people that promised to get her back, and probably was waiting for. It's gonna be awesome when that happens.

And finally the big one: I believe will be more emotional than all the final battle reunions combined is ventus meeting all of the 2nd gen foretellers. Especially since his chrithy is back, it's gonna bring back memories that are gonna pour through ventus. Hopefully he'll has his original keyblade from the church era by then. I can't wait for this to happen, and I will cry my eyes out when it does.

Now I know people want character development for past characters like xion, roxas, terra, and aqua. But to me, they had their happy ending & it could dampen the emotional potential of the next saga. Please tell me what you think about this.
If I saw any of those moments, I wouldn't even shed a single tear. Why? I don't know who most of those people are and don't really care. If they build them up during KHIV and at the end there are these sad moments, then maybe I will feel it. But talking about it now, I can't even imagine them being emotional.

I mean, Isa and Lea being reunited with Subject X being heart wrenching? We know nothing about Subject X and Isa/Lea never mentioned her except for like 5 minutes in KH3 and in the reports. Compare that to Sora killing himself to save Kairi (KH1) or Roxas saying "looks like my summer vacation is over" or Xion's death.

I wish KH3 was allowed to be more emotional and give us more emotional scenes. KH3 earned having emotional scenes. KHIV -- with the emotional moments you mentioned -- would not have earned any big emotional moment. We've known about Aqua's suffering in the Realm of Darkness for so long that her escape in KH3 was cathartic. If Isa/Lea have an "epic" reunion with Subject X off of what information we have now... it's not going to be epic or emotional.

What I would like to see of KHIV is a maturity and severity introduced into the series.

disney233

Awards

...........Uhhh, no? In my opinion ANY 'character development' will be dampened in the next game. All this talk of Marluxia's sisters, the world outside of the Foretellers, Skuld and all that? We BARELY got a tidbit of their character to fucking care. I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW MARLUXIA HAD A SISTER, and what 'emotional scene' would there be with someone we BARELY know? And the topic of Ven? ......makes me wish this game should've just stopped at 2. We didn't need this TAV trio in the first place, and yet they just decide to put Ven in with the other people Nomura didn't want to develop and chuck them into this distant past bs.

What's the point of expecting any big moment or BIG character development in KH anymore? Especially from a man whose more focused with his 'distant past' cast rather than the MESS of a cast he has now. Half of which BARELY developed and their 'big moments' were given by Donald, Goofy, and Yen Sid.

AmaryllisMoth

Awards
I'll just keep sitting here patiently, waiting for Sora...
He's ma boi. THAT'S going to be the moment that gets me emotional.

As much as I appreciate and love the expanded cast for different reasons, I really just want the next game to be hyper focused on a smaller cast only.

At this point I doubt that would ever happen again, but it would be nice moving forward to have different games focusing on different groups instead of having every game going forward being this big brouhaha of everyone stuffed into it, meaning very few get detailed development of any sort.

Like, every trio has had at least one game/series that focuses on them. I appreciated KH2 and KH3's attempts to bring the cast together at different parts, it always felt like someone didn't quite get the development they needed. I think what they really need to do is split the 'trio' thing up and have different games focusing on different characters altogether, even some groupings we haven't seen before. Then people aren't just compartmentalizing them in their heads in terms of what groups are "better" than other groups and start thinking about them as individual characters. I hate the "this trio is better than this trio" argument. Like, personally, I really didn't like BBS that much compared to other KH games mostly because of the script and as a result it kind of dampened my appreciation of the three characters in that game. However, I ended up growing to love Aqua SOOO much more when she had her own stand-alone stuff in the FM expansions and 0.2. It made me understand her as a character more, which actually made me care about her personal struggles and want to see her achieve her goals.

Conceptually, I understand that Marluxia/Lauriam getting to see his sis again is going to be emotional for some people. But for me, I feel like I don't really KNOW Marluxia/Lauriam OR Strelitzia well enough to feel as much behind it. I mean sure, I know Marluxia a bit, but that was sorta like...evil version, and it's still not clear what's up with that so it's hard for me to know what his true, real personality actually is. Strelitzia is just a "lost beloved" trope to me, and I have very little connection to her character other than she was really cute, and was murdered. Which sucks. But it's not enough for me to hail their reuinion as THE pinnacle of emotional moments in KH history. I'm personally reserving that card for Sora and Kairi later...

However, if for example, they made a WHOLE GAME that was nothing but focused on Lauriam and his sister, their relationship/past/whatever...and his struggle to get her back. Oh boy would that make me care. I would care a LOT. As it is, it's just one aspect to one random character in a game stuffed with other people who I care about more and I'm not sure how I feel about any of them because I don't know them well enough to know.

Anywho-- I think they should do something like throw people like Riku, Ven and Axel/Lea together for a game. It's never happened before, it would be interesting to see them interact and it might make people appreciate any of those three better if they didn't like them before. Having characters develop lets me get way more attached to them than just...seeing reunions.

So in regards to your post: yes, reunions of sort are emotional, for those who are invested in them, but it's honestly what they do with the characters AFTER that I think is more important. These are relatively optimistic games. We know, eventually, these reunions are going to happen. They aren't unexpected. What really gets ME emotional is getting to know a character close enough that no matter what they are doing or who they are with, I will constantly be engaged and wanting them to come out of it okay.
As an example earlier in the series: yes, seeing Sora and Riku reunite finally in KH2 was emotional because we knew all the build-up behind it. But to me, what really made it great was then seeing them finally be able to not only fight together, but even stupid little stuff like their fist-bump thing after completing their limit. I LIVE for that fluff, seriously.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
For me, seeing Donald and Goofy follow Sora to the final battle in KH3 was the emotional height of the series and a surprisingly effective moment in KH3's relatively lackluster finale.
I loved the shot of that scene so much! Sora walking from a side angle, then you just see Donald and Goofy come up next to him. That was an amazing scene and one of my favourites in all KH games!

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
yeah I agree with what others have said here that unless we get a lot of development of these characters in the game or two between 3 and 4 I don't think they'll have too much of an impact.

Also if the last few KH games are anything to go by all these moments would happen back to back and have no room to breath robbing them of any impact they might otherwise have.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
Also if the last few KH games are anything to go by all these moments would happen back to back and have no room to breath robbing them of any impact they might otherwise have.
And how these moments will happen because Sora did all the work while everyone else just flailed around with the intelligence of a soggy biscuit.

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
I can't believe Sora, with all two of his braincells, managed to have more braincells than all of the Guardians combined...

Well, it's common knowledge that the title of Keyblade Master comes with a free off-screen lobotomy, so Riku, Mickey, and Aqua's performance is no big surprise.

Back