• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Why wasn't Apprentice Xehanort a Dark Seeker?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

RonaldPoe

Awards
Anyone else think Apprentice Xehanort should've been a Dark Seeker? I mean he was instrumental in KH1 and KH2 along with the creation of the first Organzation 13. However not only wasn't he a boss but he wasn't included in KH3 at all.

It's also quite strange that the True Organization lacks a mad scientist (Vexen was also benched). He makes more sense in there than Marluxia (Dandelion but known to be a traitor), Xion (shoehorned in there for a "13th Darkness"), Dark Riku, or possibly Larxene (fills the Femme-fatale role but also treacherous). I have nothing against the 4 characters above but think he deserved it a little more.

I know he's just Terranort with amnesia but I consider him a separate character. Why do you guys think he wasn't in KH3? Did he actually have an equivalent in the True Organization who'd fill his role? What do you imagine his boss fight to be like (music and fighting style included)? Sorry about this rant but I think it's been bugging me.

AR829038

Awards
I have a few theories why they didn't include Apprentice Xehanort.
1. He can't fight. Yes, he summoned No Name once when he got his memory back, but Apprentice Xehanort was never a fighter like the other incarnations of him were. While it's true that Terra-Xehanort was a powerhouse, the amnesia Xehanort experienced likely wiped away all his fighting skills, and over the period of time he was an amnesiac scientist, he probably lost that muscle memory for combat in exchange for his scholastic prowess.
2. They didn't want to construct an entirely unique fighting style for him. This is a less likely reason, but I could see them not wanting to include him just for sake of not having to invent and design a brand new set of combat skills and movesets for him, especially if they had to be both distinct from but also similar to Terra-Xehanort's combat style. The thought process was probably something like, "well, if we just make it the same as Terra-Xehanort, then why bother? Or, if we make it completely different, that doesn't make a lot of sense considering he is the same person as Terranort. And finally, if we did something inbetween, then it would still feel too similar to Terranort and people would get annoyed by the repetitive combat."
3. Instability. Because of AX's amnesia, he might have been too mentally unstable to be a candidate for the 13. While it's true that Terranort was also somewhat unstable, Master Xehanort still managed to exert his will over Terra sufficiently for him to effectively control him without much issue, but the amnesia would have probably rendered him unable to exert that same influence, so he might not have trusted that incarnation of him to wield a Keyblade or be a competent warrior.
4. All around less desirable. Because of the above reasons, I'd wager a guess that Apprentice Xehanort simply wasn't as desirable a vessel as the other candidates were. I mean, each of the original Organization members that found themselves in the group (Marluxia, Larxene, Xigbar, Luxord, and Saïx) could all kick way more ass presumably than AX could, and Xion is another version of Sora, who wiped out almost every single one of their number in the past, so clearly his power was desirable.

okhi12

Awards
When Ansem and Xemnas were defeated, Master Xehanort and Terra's body returned to the current era. It would have been logical that instead of a younger Terra's body, it was Apprentice Xehanort's body the one returning because that was the most recent version of Terra's body that existed prior to splitting into Ansem and Xemnas.
I guess Nomura went with returning Terra's body to his BBS state so Terra would come back having the same body and age he had ten years ago, just like Ven and Aqua didn't age at all. It would have been weird if Terra returned in a body that was several years older.

It makes no sense to me that Master Xehanort recovered his old body that vanished after possessing Terra, and Terra's body unexplainably rejuvenated while his heart was still trapped, but I suppose that this case can be considered an exception to the usual rule of how complete beings are reformed because Apprentice Xehanort was a special nort, since Terra had been forcefully possessed, unlike Saïx, Braig or the KH3 norts.

Anyway, I guess AX could have returned in a replica body, but his presence would have been redundant with Terra-Xehanort.

It's a shame that AX hasn't been fleshed out more, being such an integral part of the story. Even Ansem and Xemnas were given some bits of character development in their defeat scenes. Who knows, maybe Dark Road will cover not only Young Xehanort's story but the gap between KH1 and BBS too.
Or maybe a future game with the BBS trio in which Terra provides some insight about that part of his ''I-was-not-myself'' life.

Noivern

Awards
When Ansem and Xemnas were defeated, Master Xehanort and Terra's body returned to the current era. It would have been logical that instead of a younger Terra's body, it was Apprentice Xehanort's body the one returning because that was the most recent version of Terra's body that existed prior to splitting into Ansem and Xemnas.
I guess Nomura went with returning Terra's body to his BBS state so Terra would come back having the same body and age he had ten years ago, just like Ven and Aqua didn't age at all. It would have been weird if Terra returned in a body that was several years older.

It makes no sense to me that Master Xehanort recovered his old body that vanished after possessing Terra, and Terra's body unexplainably rejuvenated while his heart was still trapped, but I suppose that this case can be considered an exception to the usual rule of how complete beings are reformed because Apprentice Xehanort was a special nort, since Terra had been forcefully possessed, unlike Saïx, Braig or the KH3 norts.

Anyway, I guess AX could have returned in a replica body, but his presence would have been redundant with Terra-Xehanort.

It's a shame that AX hasn't been fleshed out more, being such an integral part of the story. Even Ansem and Xemnas were given some bits of character development in their defeat scenes. Who knows, maybe Dark Road will cover not only Young Xehanort's story but the gap between KH1 and BBS too.
Or maybe a future game with the BBS trio in which Terra provides some insight about that part of his ''I-was-not-myself'' life.
I feel like Apprentice Xehanort was a special existence unlike Terra-Xehanort, since it seems a whole new personality was born (assuming he was truly amnestesiatic until a certain point and not just faking it), plus he also had different eye color from both Terra (Blue) and Xehanort (Silver), with brown eyes, instead of the yellow eyes that the Norts have.

But yeah, reforming as Terra instead of Apprentice was weird, but I assume it happened because, like someone said earlier, he was a scientist and not a warrior, and we needed to have a fight against that body to liberate Terra.

Xblade13

The Cleric of Flamesgrace
Awards
In all essence, Ansem is Apprentice Xehanort. He's always been Apprentice Xehanort's heart and the interactions with Ansem the Wise makes it pretty clear they're one and the same.
I was about to say this as well. Apprentice Xehanort split himself into Ansem and Xemnas, and both retained his memories and scientific prowess. In fact, it is stated quite plainly that Xehanort continued his experiments even after becoming a heartless, as the Ansem Reports in KH1 were written by him post casting out Ansem the Wise and taking his name. Ansem SoD IS Apprentice Xehanort after MX took back control, the only difference is he has Heartless powers and his physical appearance was different as a result of possessing Riku. Literally nothing else is different. Apprentice Xehanort from BEFORE the amnesia wore off is just Xemnas without powers.

As intriguing as "Apprentice Xehanort" was as his own thing, he was just a powerless Ansem plus Xemnas. Not only that, but there are already enough memes about the Xehanort's all looking almost the same while wearing the coat. Apprentice Xehanort just looked like a brown eyes Terra with slightly longer hair anyway, so that'd just be redundant. He has no combat skills, and if he did his weapon would just be No Name again. He was far too hyped up in the community, especially the people who thought Apprentice Xehanort was going to be the final villain of KH3 back after 2 ended.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
In all essence, Ansem is Apprentice Xehanort. He's always been Apprentice Xehanort's heart and the interactions with Ansem the Wise makes it pretty clear they're one and the same.
Xemnas also acted as a stand-in for Apprentice-nort in KH2. Both kinda have a hold on that mantle.

I agree with Okhi12. They probably didn't want to age Terra, even though Apprentice-nort's body with the older and longer hair should be the body to return as that is when he lost his heart. The entire BBS cast just refuse to age.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
Xemnas also acted as a stand-in for Apprentice-nort in KH2. Both kinda have a hold on that mantle.

I agree with Okhi12. They probably didn't want to age Terra, even though Apprentice-nort's body with the older and longer hair should be the body to return as that is when he lost his heart. The entire BBS cast just refuse to age.
And that really bugs me. What if Strelitzia is randomly revived older or Lauriam and Elrena are nonsensically teenagers again because Nomura somehow thought it'd be weird for Strel to be a teen, but not them???

Not only should Terra have kept the older age because his body DID freaking age, but not having that physical reminder really takes the weight of what happened away. We know what happened to him, but there was no consequence.

AR829038

Awards
And that really bugs me. What if Strelitzia is randomly revived older or Lauriam and Elrena are nonsensically teenagers again because Nomura somehow thought it'd be weird for Strel to be a teen, but not them???

Not only should Terra have kept the older age because his body DID freaking age, but not having that physical reminder really takes the weight of what happened away. We know what happened to him, but there was no consequence.
I think Terra's body returning in its younger form can be explained thusly:
Master Xehanort said in ReMIND that a person can only truly perish once they have been restored to their "natural form" (he may have said "original form", but the same point follows).
Now, the thing about Terra-Xehanort is, he's an abomination of nature. The entity we call Terra-Xehanort is, in fact, neither truly Xehanort nor Terra. Therefore, one could conclude that in order for both Xehanort and Terra to be restored to their "natural/original" form, they would have to be returned to the physical state they were in prior to their union. For Master Xehanort, this explains why he returns to his original elderly body, and for Terra it explains why his body reforms as his younger self, because that younger form was the last time Terra was ever truly Terra.

SweetYetSalty

Awards

I'm actually expecting that. Lauriam is likely going to be more his Union X self then his Marluxia counterpart anyway. I don't agree with it because it's silly but it is what it. I do expect Strelitzia to be revived and be the perfect age next to Lauriam. The age problem is annoying to me.

Last edited:

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
I think Terra's body returning in its younger form can be explained thusly:
Master Xehanort said in ReMIND that a person can only truly perish once they have been restored to their "natural form" (he may have said "original form", but the same point follows).
Now, the thing about Terra-Xehanort is, he's an abomination of nature. The entity we call Terra-Xehanort is, in fact, neither truly Xehanort nor Terra. Therefore, one could conclude that in order for both Xehanort and Terra to be restored to their "natural/original" form, they would have to be returned to the physical state they were in prior to their union. For Master Xehanort, this explains why he returns to his original elderly body, and for Terra it explains why his body reforms as his younger self, because that younger form was the last time Terra was ever truly Terra.
That can work, but I still don't like it. :mad: I want Terra and Aqua to have that constant reminder of how much Xehanort was able to do because of their actions and feel like things just can't be the same anymore. Let that be their new hurdle. And I mean that stuff can still happen. Eraqus is dead and Aqua and Terra can still blame themselves over how their actions lead to Xehanort doing all the crap he did, but that extra bit of showing by making Terra older now would give so much more weight to all this and flesh things out further.

I'm actually expecting that. Lauriam is likely going to be more his Union X self then his Marluxia counterpart anyway. I don't agree with it because it's silly but it is what it. I do expect Strelitzia to be revived and be the perfect age next to Lauriam. The age problem is annoying to me.
If we're lucky, maybe Nomura won't de-age Lauriam and Elrena because their adult selves are much better known.

SuperSaiyanSora

Awards

Yeah, I was gonna say. Ansem IS Apprentice Xehanort, Ansem is just the guy's Heartless, but that's still him.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
I think every version of Xehanort pretty much replaced Apprentice Xehanort:
* Ansem SoD is pretty much Apprentice 'nort
* Xemnas is also partly Apprentice Xehanort in KH2
* Young Xehanort being a younger version
* Terranort is pretty much Apprentice nort.

RonaldPoe

Awards

Actually it's Xemnas that Ansem the Wise says that about. Interestingly enough, Xemnas doesn't argue with the comparison.

I admit I forgot that Ansem/Xehanort's Heartless was a former mad scientist. It's just that his character has been distanced from that since Riku met him. Ansem is probably the closest to Apprentice Xehanort out of the 4 (Ansem, Terranort, YX, and Xemnas) and YX is easily the furthest.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
Xemnas was close to Apprentice Xehanort back in KH2. Then they furthered him away in his subsequent participations. Terranort is sorta like a gone mad character, while Young Xehanort is sorta his own thing. They closed Ansem into Apprentice 'nort because of his interactions with Ansem the Wise.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
I think the real question is why we didn't get Adult Master Xehanort? Maybe Dark Road could give us an answer to that.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
I think the real question is why we didn't get Adult Master Xehanort? Maybe Dark Road could give us an answer to that.
We might have gotten Adult Xehanort if Master Xehanort still wanted to become young again. I'm still not sure why that plot point was dropped

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
We might have gotten Adult Xehanort if Master Xehanort still wanted to become young again. I'm still not sure why that plot point was dropped
It was more specifically him needing a younger body, tho you could make an argument that he did by possessing Young 'nort. Maybe Nomura made an artistic decision to represent Master Xehanort in his old body and just dropped that BBS point altogether.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
It was more specifically him needing a younger body, tho you could make an argument that he did by possessing Young 'nort. Maybe Nomura made an artistic decision to represent Master Xehanort in his old body and just dropped that BBS point altogether.
Wanting younger body or wanting to become young is more or less the same thing(escaping death from old age) Instead of finding a younger body Xehanort could have focused on restoring his youth either through Rapunzel's hair or the Fountain of Youth from the Caribbean.

I get why he had to stay an old man but I wish he would have given a reason why he decided to put that goal on hold

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards

Maybe Adult Master Xehanort did not have enough darkness in him to be a suitable vessel? That could very well be a version of Xehanort that has the right balance of light and darkness thus making him unstable for the final clash.

Back