• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Will the Shibuya/DDD2 game not be on the PS4?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

redcrown

Awards
Since the price and preorders for the PlayStation 5 have been announced, I'm wondering now if the KH game that takes place in Shibuya with Verum Rex, with the likelihood it'll be in the sleeping realm with Sora and Riku, will still be released on the PS4 or even Nintendo Switch by the time it comes out. You think it'll end up on the PS5 exclusively, or the next gen nintendo console? Tbh it's the only KH game I'm looking forward to playing in the near future, if it ever does comes out, and if it does I'm not going to drop hundreds of dollars just for a whole new console for it.

Last edited:

Cumguardian69

Awards
Likely not. PS5 will be full steam ahead by the end of 2021, PS4 likely discontinued soon since as we can see so far, PS5 plays many PS4 games natively.

the red monster

Awards
nintendo switch is 100% no. it can't even run KH3.
and i doubt sony will want games in 2021/2 getting released on PS4. they want to give people reasons to buy their new console.

Grey Skies

Awards
I think there is a chance it will have a PS4 release just because the PS4 is an established console with loads of PS4 owners, while less people will have a PS5 on which to play the game. The KH series has very often been put out on older or weaker hardware despite newer and more powerful consoles being available.

CoM got released on GBA while the PSP and DS were so close to coming out, plus it could have just as well been released on a home console. GBA was a very strange choice to continue a PS2 series, but SE did it anyway, and based on how well GBA had sold, it makes at least some sense. KH2 could have been made for the Xbox 360 or PS3, but way more people had a PS2. Re:CoM came out on PS2 despite the PS3 and Xbox 360 being out and becoming popular. BBS came out on PSP and not PS3 or Xbox 360. 1.5 and 2.5 came out on PS3 despite PS4 being available.

Last edited:

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
I don't really get this idea of old consoles becoming completely obsolete the second a new one releases. It's not like everyone is going to pick up a PS5 at launch. Even Jim Ryan has said Playstation will continue to support the PS4 for the next three or four years.

We, the members of the KH fandom, are also notorious for being suckers who buy anything with the KH label on it, so I see no reason for SE to give up on such a huge and established audience just because there's a shiny new toy out.

Noivern

Awards
It's precisely BECAUSE the PS5 can retroactively play PS4 games that it's more logical to release it for the console that has years of stablished userbase, as well as literally every single KH game avaiable on it minus the mobile ones.

But really, we know nothing of what the Shibuya game is going to be. We are probably getting some sort of hint in MoM and maybe the TWEWY anime, but who knows when this thing will come out. We could very well have it on the Switch.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
It's precisely BECAUSE the PS5 can retroactively play PS4 games that it's more logical to release it for the console that has years of stablished userbase, as well as literally every single KH game avaiable on it minus the mobile ones.

But really, we know nothing of what the Shibuya game is going to be. We are probably getting some sort of hint in MoM and maybe the TWEWY anime, but who knows when this thing will come out. We could very well have it on the Switch.

Don't expect anything KH in the TWEWY anime.

Noivern

Awards
Don't expect anything KH in the TWEWY anime.
I don't think it will be anything serious besides a small cameo like someone in the crowd in one ep looking oddly familiar or anything, but once the anime is close to ending I could see them announcing the new game making use of the buzz (if it REALLY is a reapers game like some have theorized).
Like, no actual kh stuff in the anime, but kh stuff could come out Because of the anime.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
I don't think it will be anything serious besides a small cameo like someone in the crowd in one ep looking oddly familiar or anything, but once the anime is close to ending I could see them announcing the new game making use of the buzz (if it REALLY is a reapers game like some have theorized).
Like, no actual kh stuff in the anime, but kh stuff could come out Because of the anime.

If any game does get announced as a result of the anime's success, it'd no doubt be a new TWEWY game. This game is not some sort of extension of the KH franchise; it's still its own separate thing and should be treated as such.

I get that KH3 has left us in a rather precarious situation and the future is really unclear, but we shouldn't assume everything that happens with TWEWY will have implications for KH.

SuperSaiyanSora

Awards
It's possible, but I'm leaning towards no. It depends on when the game is coming out, and if MoM is late 2020 and Nomura's already hinting towards 2022 being a big year... It'll likely be a PS5 title. Consoles don't get immediately obsolete once their successors get released, but in the case of the PS5, they've been wanting people to jump ship as quickly as possible. Now, whether Square also feels like jumping ship immediately as well, who knows, but by 2022, you can bet that they'd start shutting down some of the PS4 services down.

And of course, there's no way to know when in 2022 a KH game would release anyway, it could end up being a December 2022 title and it'd still count.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Probably cross-gen or something. It’ll be scalable so it works on the most powerful xbox and the weakest xbox so I don’t see why it wouldn’t be on PS4.

But we have some cross gen games, like Miles Morales and Horizon which are primarily built for the PS5, and remasters which have a tonne of new updates and upgrades (Spider-Man remastered) so the difference between the PS4 and PS5 should be more noticeable than when a company released a cross gen PS3 PS4 game without any differences.

At the very least, even if it’s cross gen, the PS5 version shouldn’t have any loading times. This is something I want MoM to do because this has now become a PS5 launch game for me on Nov 13.

AegisXIII

Awards
Probably cross-gen or something. It’ll be scalable so it works on the most powerful xbox and the weakest xbox so I don’t see why it wouldn’t be on PS4.

But we have some cross gen games, like Miles Morales and Horizon which are primarily built for the PS5, and remasters which have a tonne of new updates and upgrades (Spider-Man remastered) so the difference between the PS4 and PS5 should be more noticeable than when a company released a cross gen PS3 PS4 game without any differences.

At the very least, even if it’s cross gen, the PS5 version shouldn’t have any loading times. This is something I want MoM to do because this has now become a PS5 launch game for me on Nov 13.
I don't see them going cross gen. What will most likely happen is that this potential game will release in 2022. At this date, the pool of ps5/xseriex will be vaste enough. Cross gen is for first year but then, the devs want to optimize for the proper hardware.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
There are, what, 120 million PS4’s sold? Add onto that what Sign quoted earlier about PS4 being supported for 3-4 years and I don’t see why they wouldn’t have this potentially be cross gen.

PS5 is backwards compatible too. 100% impossible but if SE wanted to they could drop a PS4 only version of the game and it’d automatically become cross gen lol

Cumguardian69

Awards
120 mil ps4 sold but definitely not 120 mil ps4 currently active, and even less of those are necessarily interested in KINGDOM HEARTS lol. especially right now with everything going on in the real world. SE is going to be full steam ahead on the PS5

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
My point about the amount of PS4’s is that every company, no just Square Enix, is going to up and abandon all of that within a year. They have PS5 exclusives* in the pipeline, yes, but with UE4/5 being scalable and needing to get a game working on several different power levels of Xbox, I don’t see why they wouldn’t have a cross gen title in 18 months.

*coming to other consoles later

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
They did a lot of legwork creating the gameplay style of KH3, and refining it further in the DLC, as well as introducing Kairi (who I've already said was suspiciously polished for a one-and-done boss fight character) that I think it's possible that they could just reuse the exact blueprint of KH3 and do a lower rent sequel about Kairi and Riku looking around for Sora in dreams/memories. No need to start from scratch again, just refine and continue with what they've got. Another PS4 title in 2021 would be aces, even if it's simple and relatively unambitious compared to KH3. Just make some enemies that are fun to hit and be hit by and slap the KH label on it and rake in that sweet cash

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
nintendo switch is 100% no. it can't even run KH3.
and i doubt sony will want games in 2021/2 getting released on PS4. they want to give people reasons to buy their new console.
They COULD make a lower end game based around Nintendo specs, especially if it's being made by a smaller team.

AegisXIII

Awards
Okay so the consensus is that we want more games before the big verum rex thingy. :LOL:

SweetYetSalty

Awards
How long did the PS3 last before they stopped making games for it? I don't think PS4 is going to die the second PS5 comes out (I sure hope it doesn't) But I wouldn't be too surprised if the next big KH title is announced for PS5 the way FFXVI was. I hope that's not the case, because I still want to use my PS4. And I don't fully trust backwards compatibility after the experience I had with my old PS2 which stopped playing games altogether after a certain point. I had to get a newer one years back.

Back