• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Film ► Wish (2023)

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Barrett

Awards
At the presentation, they had Ariana DeBose perform a song from the film called “More For Us,” and it was honestly so beautiful. It's easily a top 10 Disney song list contender for me. 😭

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I haven't listened to the song yet, but I love that it's going to have a whole aesthetic (watercolor, hand-drawn-esque). The main character's design looks like a mixture of Pocahontas and Isabela (from Encanto) to me.

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
Oh, guess I misunderstood that animation style. I heard they've started a studio bringing it back somehow. Regardless, the movie looks great! Character designs are pretty.

Barrett

Awards
Oh, guess I misunderstood that animation style. I heard they've started a studio bringing it back somehow. Regardless, the movie looks great! Character designs are pretty.
They showed animation showcasing the kind of aesthetic they are going for. The directors said that the art direction for this movie is heavily reminiscent of very classic Disney films and you can especially see the inspiration from the background sceneries.

They showed a tour of the setting, the Kingdom of Rosas, in the animation and the scene is very reminiscent of the beginning of the original animated Pinocchio where it tours the village. The backgrounds were very detailed and captured the feel of detailed watercolor paintings that I couldn't even tell that it was actually CG.

In terms of characters, they looked like they were rendered in a more advanced version of the Paperman rendering technology they had. The character Star looked very flat or 2D that I actually wouldn't be surprised if Star was actually animated in 2D.

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
They showed animation showcasing the kind of aesthetic they are going for. The directors said that the art direction for this movie is heavily reminiscent of very classic Disney films and you can especially see the inspiration from the background sceneries.

They showed a tour of the setting, the Kingdom of Rosas, in the animation and the scene is very reminiscent of the beginning of the original animated Pinocchio where it tours the village. The backgrounds were very detailed and captured the feel of detailed watercolor paintings that I couldn't even tell that it was actually CG.

In terms of characters, they looked like they were rendered in a more advanced version of the Paperman rendering technology they had. The character Star looked very flat or 2D that I actually wouldn't be surprised if Star was actually animated in 2D.
Oooooohhhh!!! Advanced Paperman? Now you're just making me excited 😆

That's awesome though, will check it out. Classic watercolor Disney films were a beauty to look at. I remember even making some my lock screen.

Sonofjafar

Awards
So there’s a chance we might be getting a 2D-like film. But the question is will Disney be willing to stick to the style for more films. They specifically state that this one is made for Disney’s 100th anniversary.

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
That's a good point. I believe animator Eric Goldberg said that he was creating a studio specializing in 2D animation. I could be wrong though, but I heard news similar to that.

Whether or not that would actually go anywhere, who knows. And like you said, this may be a one-time thing to celebrate the anniversary.

Barrett

Awards
That's a good point. I believe animator Eric Goldberg said that he was creating a studio specializing in 2D animation. I could be wrong though, but I heard news similar to that.

Whether or not that would actually go anywhere, who knows. And like you said, this may be a one-time thing to celebrate the anniversary.
Eric Goldberg said that Disney Animation launched a new training program where veteran 2D animators including Goldberg trained new applicants in hand-drawn animation and that plans for future projects involving 2D animation include shorts, series, and feature films.

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
Eric Goldberg said that Disney Animation launched a new training program where veteran 2D animators including Goldberg trained new applicants in hand-drawn animation and that plans for future projects involving 2D animation include shorts, series, and feature films.
Ah gotcha. Thanks for the correction 😊

Sonofjafar

Awards
Horra
Hurrah for that then.

Barrett

Awards
So there’s a chance we might be getting a 2D-like film. But the question is will Disney be willing to stick to the style for more films. They specifically state that this one is made for Disney’s 100th anniversary.
I was just at a panel with Disney animators Eric Goldberg and Mark Henn and Eric kinda just dropped that Disney Animation is currently working on a “huge project” that involves “a lot of hand-drawn animation.” Mind you, we don’t know if this is another feature film or a series or something else entirely, but that’s what he said.

Elysium

Awards
With Disney+ needing more and more content, they'll bring hand-drawn animation back slowly but surely. It's cheaper and faster to make than 3D. The 100th anniversary making them look back at the past for this film might hurry it along faster. <3 I've read this film may have the first Disney villain in a long time, too! Let's hope that's true.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
With Disney+ needing more and more content, they'll bring hand-drawn animation back slowly but surely. It's cheaper and faster to make than 3D. The 100th anniversary making them look back at the past for this film might hurry it along faster. <3 I've read this film may have the first Disney villain in a long time, too! Let's hope that's true.
Is hand drawn cheaper? I thought CGI was cheaper and faster since a computer can assist, unlike with hand drawn films.

I thought cost/time was the reason they went over to CGI fully.

Elysium

Awards
Yeah, hand-drawn animation is quicker and cheaper. Of course, Disney would have to re-build a unit first in its case, but long-term, hand-drawn animation may become more lucrative with Disney moving further away from theaters and further into streaming. I think Disney first moved over to 3D because 3D films were more likely to bring in big grosses (even if the budgets were always huge, too) and because 3D films are more easily translated to "franchises" with multiple sequels.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
Yeah, hand-drawn animation is quicker and cheaper. Of course, Disney would have to re-build a unit first in its case, but long-term, hand-drawn animation may become more lucrative with Disney moving further away from theaters and further into streaming. I think Disney first moved over to 3D because 3D films were more likely to bring in big grosses (even if the budgets were always huge, too) and because 3D films are more easily translated to "franchises" with multiple sequels.
Well with nostalgia in full swing, I feel like a DISNEY movie that's traditionally animated and released in theaters may draw a big crowd.

I always thought the reason DISNEY moved over to CGI fully was because of SHREK. I say that because SHREK's CGI sort of made CGI approachable by both adults and children, while 2D animation may be seen by adults as "for kids". So DISNEY decided to make all their feature films approachable by adults and kids. I can see adults (without children) being more willing to pay for a CGI DISNEY film in theaters than a 2D one.

Elysium

Awards
Good point, Shrek was sort of the beginning of the shift in things. I think there's a weird fascination people had for a while there (maybe still do?) in seeing how much better and better CGI could get. At this point, it feels like it's reached its max... CGI largely looks just like real life, not much more they can improve?

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
Good point, Shrek was sort of the beginning of the shift in things. I think there's a weird fascination people had for a while there (maybe still do?) in seeing how much better and better CGI could get. At this point, it feels like it's reached its max... CGI largely looks just like real life, not much more they can improve?
Which is probably why it's more comfortable for adults to go watch a CGI DISNEY film. It doesn't feel like a kids movie. I mean 50% of MARVEL films are CGI anyway, so yeah I think adults are more inclined to watching a CGI DISNEY film than a 2D animated one.

Personally, I think the 2D ones allow a certain vibrance and experimentation to be utilized. I don't think I've seen anything as beautiful as "I Just Can't Wait (To Be King)" or "Prince Ali" in a CGI DISNEY film. They have impressive moments (like the lantern scene from Tangled), but nothing that's as colourful since CGI films strive to look more like real life... which kind of takes away the fun of animation.

Back