• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

With which Kingdom Hearts game should I start (PS2)

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

NeuAufleger

Hello everyone,
i wanted to play Kingdom Hearts for the PlayStation 2 again, but I don't know how to start. I think Kingdom Hearts Platinum is the first one to start with and after that comes Kingdom Hearts 2. But I also found a game with ,,Final Mix'' in the end. So I am very confused with what I should actually buy. Can you pls help me?

Xblade13

The Cleric of Flamesgrace
Awards
Hello everyone,
i wanted to play Kingdom Hearts for the PlayStation 2 again, but I don't know how to start. I think Kingdom Hearts Platinum is the first one to start with and after that comes Kingdom Hearts 2. But I also found a game with ,,Final Mix'' in the end. So I am very confused with what I should actually buy. Can you pls help me?
"Final Mix" is essentially a director's cut of Kingdom Hearts 1, with Japanese text and English voice acting I think? Or the other way around. Regardless, it has extra content the original version didn't have, such as extra bosses and cutscenes. So if you have the ability to get that go ahead.

If you have or are planning on getting a PS3/4 or an Xbox One you can get all the games in a collection too, with every "Final Mix" included. (Kingdom Hearts 2 also had a Final Mix version, and Birth by Sleep for the PSP)

If you're just using the PlayStation 2, then go ahead and play Kingdom Hearts 1, whether the regular version or Final Mix. Either way it is a very enjoyable experience.

AR829038

Awards
Hello everyone,
I've never heard of a "Kingdom Hearts Platinum"—that's really strange—but whenever you see Final Mix at the end of a KH title, that basically means it's like a Director's Cut of the original game. It has a lot of extra content, both game-wise and story-wise, and updated mechanics and designs. Always play the Final Mixes—the original versions are outdated now.
For PS2, the definite choice to start with is KH1. After that, play Re: Chain of Memories (the prefix "Re:" in the KH series is similar to Final Mix, but instead of a Director's Cut, it's more of a full-on remake, and those are generally preferred; the original Chain of Memories, for instance, was released on the GameBoy Advance, and the Re: version is for PS2, and also has much more content besides updated graphics). If you want the full recommended play-through list, here ya go:
1. Kingdom Hearts Final Mix
2. Kingdom Hearts: Re: Chain of Memories
3. Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix
4. Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days (this game was only released on the Nintendo DS—the ReMIX collection has a three-hour movie of the important cutscenes spliced together, but it's not playable, and it's cuts out a lot of the story)
5. Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep Final Mix
6. Kingdom Hearts Re: Coded (same situation as 358/2 Days)
7. Kingdom Hearts HD: Dream Drop Distance
8. Kingdom Hearts Union X (the mobile phone game—it's actually a sequel to the Japanese-only PC Browser game Kingdom Hearts X, but there's no way to play that, if you want just watch Everglow's walkthrough of it on YouTube)
9. Kingdom Hearts 0.2 Birth by Sleep –A Fragmentary Passage–
10. Kingdom Hearts III ReMIND (ReMIND is sort of like Final Mix, but it's actually added DLC that you play after the main game)

Hope that was helpful.

But if all you have is a PS2, then you'll probably only be able to play KH1, KH ReCoM, and KH2, and you WON'T be able to play the Final Mix versions. The original Final Mix games were only released in Japan, and we only got them here in the West with the remastered collections on PS4, so if you only have PS2 to play on, you'll have to track down a copy of the vanilla PS2 games to play. But if you can, I'd heavily suggest investing in a PS4.

okhi12

Awards
I've never heard of a "Kingdom Hearts Platinum"—that's really strange—but whenever you see Final Mix at the end of a KH title, that basically means it's like a Director's Cut of the original game. It has a lot of extra content, both game-wise and story-wise, and updated mechanics and designs. Always play the Final Mixes—the original versions are outdated now.
For PS2, the definite choice to start with is KH1. After that, play Re: Chain of Memories (the prefix "Re:" in the KH series is similar to Final Mix, but instead of a Director's Cut, it's more of a full-on remake, and those are generally preferred; the original Chain of Memories, for instance, was released on the GameBoy Advance, and the Re: version is for PS2, and also has much more content besides updated graphics). If you want the full recommended play-through list, here ya go:
1. Kingdom Hearts Final Mix
2. Kingdom Hearts: Re: Chain of Memories
3. Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix
4. Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days (this game was only released on the Nintendo DS—the ReMIX collection has a three-hour movie of the important cutscenes spliced together, but it's not playable, and it's cuts out a lot of the story)
5. Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep Final Mix
6. Kingdom Hearts Re: Coded (same situation as 358/2 Days)
7. Kingdom Hearts HD: Dream Drop Distance
8. Kingdom Hearts Union X (the mobile phone game—it's actually a sequel to the Japanese-only PC Browser game Kingdom Hearts X, but there's no way to play that, if you want just watch Everglow's walkthrough of it on YouTube)
9. Kingdom Hearts 0.2 Birth by Sleep –A Fragmentary Passage–
10. Kingdom Hearts III ReMIND (ReMIND is sort of like Final Mix, but it's actually added DLC that you play after the main game)

Hope that was helpful.

But if all you have is a PS2, then you'll probably only be able to play KH1, KH ReCoM, and KH2, and you WON'T be able to play the Final Mix versions. The original Final Mix games were only released in Japan, and we only got them here in the West with the remastered collections on PS4, so if you only have PS2 to play on, you'll have to track down a copy of the vanilla PS2 games to play. But if you can, I'd heavily suggest investing in a PS4.
The 'Platinum' version of PS1, PS2 and early PS3 games were just cheaper re-releases in PAL regions for games that sold very well. Just another name for a Greatest Hits version.
The name of those kind of reeditions changed to 'Essentials' for PSP and later PS3 games, and now it's 'PS Hits' for PS4 games.

Back