• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Would you be in favor of Original/Square Enix worlds in replace of Disney worlds?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

disney233

Awards
There's no replacing Disney characters. I'd say that even they have the potential of having used to the plot than just...being there.
Spoiler Spoiler Show

The Disney worlds have come to a point where, like Final Fantasy characters, they just don't seem necessary to the plot.
Spoiler Spoiler Show

I'm still retaining hope for Disney characters, but I've just lost hope in Disney worlds & relevancy the moment Corona took the stage. All this talk of collecting the Princesses of heart, recreating a heart, finding the chest throughout the worlds, and they didn't really amount to anything in the end.

I feel like it's because of Disney's mass restriction that took hold through most of the worlds and therefore Nomura couldn't use the creativity of Disney worlds to his fullest extent. But, what about worlds based off of Final Fantasy or rather...Square Enix worlds in general? (I'd honestly want worlds based on other video games outside of Square...but that's asking too much.) I doubt it'll ever happen, but say, Nomura would have the creative freedom on worlds based around his own creations & characters, like worlds based off of Final Fantasy or Chrono Trigger & Dragon Quest (Those are just Square properties on the top of my head.

I don't know if Nomura actually owns or directs them). Would you be in favor of them to say replace the meaningless Disney worlds? I mean...they do open up the possibility of overall story integration, like the days of KH1 & 2's Space Paranoids. Plus like KH1's Hollow Bastion, they would open up some dungeon-esque areas and worlds.

U.N. Owen

Awards
I'm hoping Nomura goes for more obscure brands that Disney doesn't need to protect so vigilantly. I know this isn't going to happen, but having Nomura look at really old, weird, or even cancelled stuff would be great to circumvent Disney's grip.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Not really on the Square Enix world front. The biggest appeal to me is journeying through Disney and original worlds. I want to explore areas that I saw in movies. I don't want to go through areas in other video games.

Also, the Disney worlds aren't meaningless. Olympus was about Sora getting his strength back, Monstropolis furthered the Ventus storyline, Toy Box shed some light on how the Organization were coming back (hearts into puppets), and Corona / Arendelle / Caribbean / San Fransokyo all dealt with bringing a loved one back to life after death which was major foreshadowing / tie in to the ending of the game. These were actually some excellent choices for Disney worlds in Kingdom Hearts 3.

disney233

Awards
Not really on the Square Enix world front. The biggest appeal to me is journeying through Disney and original worlds. I want to explore areas that I saw in movies. I don't want to go through areas in other video games.

Also, the Disney worlds aren't meaningless. Olympus was about Sora getting his strength back, Monstropolis furthered the Ventus storyline, Toy Box shed some light on how the Organization were coming back (hearts into puppets), and Corona / Arendelle / Caribbean / San Fransokyo all dealt with bringing a loved one back to life after death which was major foreshadowing / tie in to the ending of the game. These were actually some excellent choices for Disney worlds in Kingdom Hearts 3.
If that's the case, then I kinda wished they'd do more than hide their foreshadowing through shallow movie retellings that don't even ALLOW Sora to confront anyone. Though I'll give Monstropolis & Toy Box the benefit of the doubt.

Last edited:

SuperSaiyanSora

Awards
It's a common thing I've seen around where people think that we're gonna be going to Square Enix worlds instead, but... I'm not so sure yet. Disney owns Kingdom Hearts, or at least everything that isn't previously owned by Square Enix. So who knows if they'd approve of a game with no Disney worlds. Plus, I feel like that's the appeal behind Kingdom Hearts. You kinda lose the charm if the series removes the Disney aspect to it, it wouldn't be the same. It'd allow the series to be more "mature" in certain areas, but it wouldn't be the same Kingdom Hearts we've all come to love -- for better or worse.

That said, I'd love some Square Enix worlds. Maybe not all of them, but a good mix would be fun.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
Personally I wouldn't mind seeing more original worlds in the mix, they are the most flexible and can house both Final Fantasy and Disney characters. Regarding worlds based on Square properties I'm not against it. At least for the non-FF games, but wouldn't want more than one or two per installment. With the FF characters I rather them be in original or disney worlds as we have had so far.

The Diseny worlds are still the biggest draw marketing wise. There are a lot of people that only get Kingdom Hearts to explore the worlds in the Movies. Even I love being able to see locations from my favorite movies from a different angle.

the red monster

Awards
No to square enix worlds. but yes to more original worlds.

i don't care about the disney worlds too much tbh.. i mostly play for the story (original characters) and gameplay.
that was my biggest disappointment with KH3, we spent 20 hours on disney worlds and story was pushed back to the last 3 hours + the original worlds were too small, thankfully the DLC kinda fixed it with explorable scala.

there should be disney worlds because that's the core of series, but it shouldn't get all the attention.. make it more balanced

2 quid is good

Awards
I would never want Disney worlds to go, they were also a big draw for me although I confess that KH3 really soured me in them. KH3's problem wasn't overusing disney worlds, if anything they got it pretty right on that, it was under utilising Original worlds.

So while it seems the Disney/Square balance is out of whack (I'd agree with this) really it's just a case of the Disney worlds being enhanced for a 2019 game and standards while the original worlds get less screentime than a 2004 GBA game. Ideally both should be up to par, it's not like Squeenix isn't capable of this. At least have *ONE* up to scratch world. It's not asking all that much at all.

On the topic of Square worlds, while I love the inclusion of Final Fantasy characters I don't think their worlds should be included into KH, they work better when they're essentially KH OCs, it makes them feel more tied to the games. I'd absolutely love worlds based on other square properties though.

I would want more original worlds for sure, but not if its gonna be in the KH3 style of one living room, a doorframe, a hallway, and a back garden.

okhi12

Awards
I agree with most comments above, I'd like more original worlds, as many as Disney ones. That way the games would feel more balanced, not too much original and not too much Disney filler. I also agree I'd like more non-mainstream Disney worlds from old films that Disney wouldn't be so protective with what can or can't be done.
FF or other Square Enix worlds are a big no to me. They wouldn't make them justice. The only exception is TWEWY, that could work well. But what I wouldn't like in the slightest are Star Wars worlds. Glad that's not likely to happen.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards

Also, the Disney worlds aren't meaningless. Olympus was about Sora getting his strength back,
& he got most of his powers at random without any real story attachment. It would've been really simple to make Attraction Flow be a literal gift from the gods but that's not what happened.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
& he got most of his powers at random without any real story attachment. It would've been really simple to make Attraction Flow be a literal gift from the gods but that's not what happened.
That was an insane disconnect between story and gameplay but it doesn’t negate that Olympus was the bridge between weak DDD Sora and KH3.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
I know we're having problems right now with Disney Worlds and their fillerish nature but I want them to stay. They are part of the fun. I want just want Disney characters and worlds to be more relevant to the ongoing story that Sora is going through and for that to happen Disney or whoever is calling the shots needs to loosen their leash a little to give KH it's Disney magic back of blending the KH original magic with the Disney magic.

With all that said I would love more original worlds. Twilight Town is my favorite KH world of all time (take a guess why) and I also really enjoy worlds like Traverse Town, Radiant Garden, TWTNW, C.O. even Scala. Bring on more KH original worlds. As far as FF worlds? I'm not sure. Mainly because if they add them it'll be 90% FFVII, XIII and XV worlds...maybe they'll throw me a bone and at least give me a VIII location.

Violet Pluto

Awards
But what I wouldn't like in the slightest are Star Wars worlds. Glad that's not likely to happen.
KH has so much in common with Star Wars that it would hard to fit it in without being redundant/getting called a clone.

Other hands I would like more original worlds (as that is basically where most FF characters come from) maybe even a full story in one, but I would like more characters from other SE properties to also show up instead of just FF. The closest we have to that is Pence and his Dog Street shirt (reference to The Bouncer). I also was going to say that I would love a Square Enix world but the arguments in this thread convinced me otherwise because we already have an hour or two movies truncated but a 15-80 hour game? Would be a nightmare to shorten that and people who are fans of it might be justifiably angry with such a representation.

Ergeiz World?

Last edited:

drew0512

Awards
You are starting from a wrong premise. Disney worlds were never meant to be relevant to the main story (sometimes it happens - mostly, if not exclusively in KH1 - but those times are exceptions, and most of the time the connection is very weak anyway).
KH thrives on the juxtaposition of lighter and heavier tones and this is why Disney is important and people wanting KH games without Disney are essentially asking for KH to get rid of its essence.
Would you be in favor of them to say replace the meaningless Disney worlds? I mean...they do open up the possibility of overall story integration, like the days of KH1 & 2's Space Paranoids
This is a biased view because, when you take another look at KH1, you'll see that most worlds in this game are "filler" or "meaningless". Deep Jungle, Atlantica, Halloween Town and Olympus have no ties to the main plot and other worlds like Wonderland or Agrabah are not that different from a princess being kidnapped off-screen. However, this doesn't mean these worlds are useless or meaningless. Atlantica and Halloween Town are completely filler content story-wise (and not suprisingly they are skippable) but they are good worlds in the overall narrative because they help building/expanding the lore.

Atlantica suprises you with the notion that Triton knows about keyblades and keyholes and you start wondering whether other people know about them too and whether there is some sort of secret convention between influential people of various worlds. It helps making the "world order" thing feel more real instead of a mere concept made up by Donald.
Halloween Town is even more interesting, in hindsight. Although in a obviously rudimental way, it introduces the concept of hearts being put into vessels which is a theme that already has connections with KH1 in some ways, but only becomes essential in the later games.

Then we have Deep Jungle which is a great example of how a Disney world can be good without a) an original story b) connections to the main plot. Story-wise, this world is filler like the others I've mentioned. However, most of the foreshadowing is in this world (in a very subtle way with the HB's slide and the whole "friends in your heart" letimotiv) and it offers some nice character development with SDG learning how to set their problems aside and work as a team. You can remove this world and the main story wouldn't change at all but the overall narrative would certainly suffer.
Similar story with Olympus and Wonderland, no real story progression. Overall, you could remove most of KH1's Disney content without hurting the main plot at all, but the game would suffer.

KH3 is similar to KH1 in many ways and the treatment of Disney is one of them. Both game resemble Bildungsromanen (novels of formation), in which the main character grows and matures thanks to the events (explained very generally). KH3 adds extra steps to this thanks to its peculiar structure (Ringkomposition, where the same concepts/events are both at the start and at the end of something). It starts with a mysterious "There are seven hearts to save" directly connected to the end of the game and some Disney worlds are connected to this concept of saving and sacrifice and they directly help in building the emotional path that leads Sora to that story point. Hercules doesn't have much to say to Sora, he just went to save Meg without much thought put into it but he was driven by a strong will (with all my heart). These words are important to Sora (to the point he references them throughout the game, before saving Ven and before saving the other guardians) and the events he witnesses in Corona, Arendelle and in the Caribbean shows him how powerful love (not only romantic love) as a driving force can be (he even thinks about these events in the Keyblade Graveyard). Other Disney worlds are connected to the main plot in a more direct way, namely Toy Box and San Fransokyo, but Chaser already talked about it in a way more concised way so I'll stop here. There are also other things to mention but this message is already long enough.

Thing is, you'll never notice how Disney can enrich this series if you don't get rid of the prejudice that Disney is just filler content that drags the games down with its "childish" themes and characters. So no, I'm not against different worlds/characters and all that, but I don't want them to replace Disney worlds/characters because that would be the point where I stop playing Kingdom Hearts simply because it wouldn't be Kingdom Hearts anymore.

If anything, KH3 puts the series on the right track again after many years of mostly actual meaningless Disney content.

ultima-demi

(>..)>
Awards
As long as the Original worlds are as distinct and creative as the Disney worlds. I want more Original worlds but there's too many dang towns, cities.

theshadowman

Awards
Some different original worlds would be nice, but I’d prefer if they keep a majority of the games stay as Disney worlds. The complete joy of these games, for me anyway, is to be able to explore some of my favorite Disney films, interact with famous Disney characters, and fight my childhood Disney villains, and even new ones. You take a lot of that away, and to me, it’s not KH, it’s a generic Square Enix RPG. And we have plenty of those in my eyes.

Venitas

I'm 100% down for more crazy Nomura anime bullshit. I know Disney is accessible for all ages and types of people, but for me - a 26 year old Male- Disney really doesnt do anything for me anymore. My favorite parts of the series have always been the original stuff, the dark atmosphere mixed with Shimomura's music. If KH is really moving towards an Avengers Endgame style universe of all the games Nomura has directed, I would be so.happy.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I actually wouldn't mind it, but we all know it would never happen. You're right that the lack of restrictions on FF worlds would probably improve the story. I love Disney though. I'm just saying I'd be open to the idea of more original / FF worlds (sort of a 50/50 split) or a one-off game without Disney worlds (where Donald, Mickey, Maleficent, Yensid, etc. will still be present of course).

mouflon

Awards
In a hypothetial scenario where all the Disney worlds were replaced with Square game worlds, I'd hope it would only be for one game and that the Disney characters themselves would still be present. I'd also hope they'd go for a nice variety rather than just a slew of FF worlds. I'd prefer they use older games a worlds to visit too--like, any game developed pre-Kingdom Hearts on the table. Take those much older games and give their worlds a huge reimagining. That'd be cool.

I'd definitely like more Kingdom Hearts-original worlds and I'd take these over pretty much any SE game world. Hollow Bastion in the first game remains one of my favourite game levels of all time because of its distinct atmosphere, aesthetic and general mood. I'd love for the next KH game to surprise me with something like that again. There's also the fact that we still have yet to explore Destiny Islands which has been there since the start. I'd love for that to happen one day.

Kingdom Hearts is the only game series that tries to represent the Disney worlds with any sense of grandeur. I know a lot of movies have video games as tie-in merchandise but it's not quite the same. Take the worlds out of KH and we just get what's essentially a Final Fantasy spin-off or a new IP. Even with Disney tightening the chain around Square's neck, the worlds are still a joy to explore for me.

Back