• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Would you prefer a new protagonist?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

SuperNova

Awards
So with the release of KH3 finally over with, and the next KH game sometime in the future, lets talk about protagonists. Nomura has stated in the past that Sora will always be the main character of KH. However with his fate in the end of 3, I’ve seen some general worry about whether he will return or not. So here’s the question: Are you confident that Sora will return? Or would you prefer a new protagonist?

I personally would prefer another adventure with SDG since they are by far the best trio next to the Days Trio.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Oh, I'm certain Sora will return. Nomura did what he did in KH3 so he could better shape Sora into the kind of character he wants to write. Sora is going to go through some harrowing times in Shibuya.

I don't think we'll ever see a new protagonist of the series overall. They would always have some sort of connection to Sora somehow.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
I could see a character starring for one or two games but Sora will always be the protagonist for reasons Spockanort stated.

I do hope they keep the SDG trio as well. If KH3 taught me anything it's that I enjoy KH the most when it's those three characters together paling around.

Twilight Lumiair

Awards
While there are of course characters I like and would want to see more in the role than Sora, it's pretty much a given that he'll stay the primary focus of the series. Whether he's the protagonist of the next game or not, I don't really see that changing based on Nomura's statements, at least not at this point. That said, if there was anytime Nomura wanted to shift the role of MC or deutoragonist over to another pair of characters, now wouldn't be such a bad time.
There are some obvious picks I've seen people list like Ventus, Aqua, Roxas, Lea, etc., and all of them could bring some really interesting takes to the series' future overarching plot. Definitely potential there, but not the route I would personally expect the series as we know it to go anytime soon. For now, Sora's serviceable at least.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
Oh, I'm certain Sora will return. Nomura did what he did in KH3 so he could better shape Sora into the kind of character he wants to write. Sora is going to go through some harrowing times in Shibuya.

I don't think we'll ever see a new protagonist of the series overall. They would always have some sort of connection to Sora somehow.

Oh, God. Sora's time in Shibuya could be the equivalent of Noctis Lucis Caelum's time inside the Crystal.

I feel like changing Sora's character into whatever Nomura wants to direct him to could be a soft-reboot.

SuperNova

Awards
I could see Sora maturing through his time in Shibuya. Maybe coming to grips with the true meaning of “consequences” and “death.” The only thing I’m afraid of happening is Nomura turning Sora into another Cloud or Leon. His positive attitude and friendly nature are really refreshing for a Square protagonist.

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
I don't expect any huge drastic changes from Sora being there personally. Sora's key attribute is that he always bounces back, that his core is immutable. Plus his boyfriend and dream eater is there, he's gonna be fine.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
I used to think I'd happily play as Sora in KH for as long as the series continued, but after KH3 I can't believe in him as a protagonist. He's just another obnoxious Shonen Jesus at this point and the magic's gone.

A new protagonist + a new director would be the preferable way for the series to continue, but neither are going to happen. Bit of a shame, but eventually the formula will run dry and the series will either end or things will get shaken up.

Sakuraba Neku

Awards
I want Sora to be the protagonist until end, but I also want him to be better written than he was in KH3.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Oh, God. Sora's time in Shibuya could be the equivalent of Noctis Lucis Caelum's time inside the Crystal.

I feel like changing Sora's character into whatever Nomura wants to direct him to could be a soft-reboot.

I didn’t mean that kind of change haha. Just that he’ll come out of it much more mature and worldly, perhaps more sure of himself rather than feeling as though he is nothing compared to his friends.

He was never chosen. He was always second best. He still believes this, even when he is gloating, and it’s why he is so quick to sacrifice himself. In this, he needs to learn that he may not be “chosen” but he has overcome all of that and has become so strong because of it.

Like Audo said, Riku is there and he’ll help light the way for Sora to realize this.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
I didn’t mean that kind of change haha. Just that he’ll come out of it much more mature and worldly, perhaps more sure of himself rather than feeling as though he is nothing compared to his friends.

He was never chosen. He was always second best. He still believes this, even when he is gloating, and it’s why he is so quick to sacrifice himself. In this, he needs to learn that he may not be “chosen” but he has overcome all of that and has become so strong because of it.

Like Audo said, Riku is there and he’ll help light the way for Sora to realize this.

Don't worry, lol. It's just me drawing parallels between both of Nomura's works, haha.

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
I know it's not likely to happen, but I'd really rather that we play Kairi in the next numbered game and save Sora for once. That way you can justify starting out the protag as being weak, and you also get badass Kairi by the end.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
My preference would be SDG for the rest of the series, with occasional scenarios with Riku or Aqua. Now, will that actually happen. Probably not. But I think Sora will always be the overarching main character, even if the side games decide to waste time with new characters in the driver's seat, unfortunately.

D

Deleted member 246005

I'd prefer a new protagonist but I'd settle for a rotating cast. Just give me some new Disney companions and I'm set.

allenleonardo

Awards
I am quite sure that he will return and no I dont want a new main protagonist.

Being able to play other characters from time to time or split it like DDD? Thats fine. But for me Sora is one of the big points why I play these games. He just such a nice guy and that is imo quite a breath of fresh air since lots of games like to use more serious characters to play the main role. Also since Disney will always be a part of this I just feel like Sora is the best one to discover new worlds with us. The wonder and excitment is something that I doubt other characters will show like that.

I could see Sora maturing through his time in Shibuya. Maybe coming to grips with the true meaning of “consequences†and “death.†The only thing I’m afraid of happening is Nomura turning Sora into another Cloud or Leon. His positive attitude and friendly nature are really refreshing for a Square protagonist.

It would really be sad for me if Nomura (just because he himself does not like that Sora anymore) decides to rewrite his character with that. A bit more mature and maybe less ready to kill himself for others? Sure. Maybe even with a bit more love for himself and maybe a bit more sure about his own powers. But if he becomes someone simliar to Riku (which I do like) or other more somber FF protagonists, then I am not really sure if that still feels like Sora to me and if I would enjoy the games that deeply anymore.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
So I've been thinking lately about how a sword and shield character would work in KH. If the sword is a keyblade then the shield would have to be something related, like a padlock. Perhaps some game mechanic could be made in having other keyblades inserted into the lockshield to gain their power or something.

so yeah, I wanna see a sword and shield protagonist.

SuperSaiyanSora

Awards

He was never chosen. He was always second best. He still believes this, even when he is gloating, and it’s why he is so quick to sacrifice himself. In this, he needs to learn that he may not be “chosen†but he has overcome all of that and has become so strong because of it.

Agreed. And for all intents and purposes, Sora really shouldn't even care at this point whether he was "chosen" or not. He was going to be chosen by Aqua, he gained the capability to wield just off the strength of mending Ven's heart as a newborn, and if he were to lose the ability to wield his Keyblade today... Someone could just give him a Rite of Succession (if it even works that way), and boom, now he's "chosen". Everyone else was "chosen", but who's the one who's gotta come in and save the day every single time? It really isn't worth a whole lot besides the formalities, and if anything... I think it's more impressive to unknowingly borrow somebody's Keyblade, lose it, and then reclaim it permanently. He was chosen, just not formally by another wielder, but the damn weapon itself, and that counts for WAY more than it just being given to you. DDD more or less touches on this near the end, but yeah, it's still clearly a chip on his shoulder.

Sora should realize that it's not how you get the power, it's what you do with it that counts.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
I think one of the best things Kingdom Hearts did was create Aqua. She was a fantastic protagonist that the fans loved, and she wasn’t a part of Sora or Xehanort.

I’d love for a new protagonist in the vein of Aqua be made, but I’m also happy to continue to get Sora as well. Haley does a fantastic job and he’s very committed.

Back