• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Would you still be interested in KH if Nomura was no longer involved?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Would you still be interested in KH if Nomura was no longer involved?

• Yes

Votes: 19 76.0%
  • No

Votes: 6 24.0%

• Total voters

Liodin

Awards
For me, the moment Nomura stops being involved with Kingdom Hearts, is the moment I stop being a fan of the series.

Everything that comes after that, is not canon, it's fanfiction.

The most I would accept is if he stopped being the director and just wrote the story.
Either because he is too old to direct the games or because he is sick and leaves the whole story written so that others can finish the series without him.
But then he would still be involved, just less so.

So no, I wouldn't be a fan anymore if he's out.

D

Deleted member 246005

Depends on who we got and what their take is. For example if the team behind Persona did KH, I'd be curious.

I'm fond of Doctor Who, Star Wars, Marvel and DC etc so I'm used to creative teams getting replaced. I'm fond of Devil may cry because of Hideaki Itsuno and Bingo Moribashi (the director and writer of DMC3) not Hideki Kamiya (the creator of the series).

Another example is I don't mind Jodie Whitaker being the first female doctor on Doctor Who but I wished she was given a better take by Chris Chibnall. And it's the same with Rey from Star Wars.

So it's not a hurdle unless their take is bad/weak.

I'm not the biggest Nomura fan anymore so I don't mind new blood.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chie

Awards
Yes, it would literally be fanfiction. Of course, fanfiction can be good. But I'm not interested in Kingdom Hearts just for it being an "IP" or a "brand", so whoever would be taking over would have to prove their work's value from scratch, and show that they can make it a personal project like Nomura did.

I do think gamers find this confusing, with how much discussion there is on how companies need to be utilizing dormant "IPs", just because they own the rights to them. If Nomura stops, that is the end of Kingdom Hearts, a work made by Nomura. Same with all works primarily headed by one person.

the red monster

Awards
I wouldn’t mind. It just depends on how it is handled moving forward after Nomura.

If I don’t like it, I can close the door on KH. If it is good, then cool more KH to enjoy.
pretty much this.

but i doubt anyone else could make an intriguing character like MoM and keep the nonsense we are used to. it won't hit the same which is part of what makes the games special to people.

AegisXIII

Awards
pretty much this.

but i doubt anyone else could make an intriguing character like MoM and keep the nonsense we are used to. it won't hit the same which is part of what makes the games special to people.
Nomura IS the master of the hype. Maybe games would be less convoluted after him, but surely the excitement would also go down.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
Probably. It's not like I think Kingdom Hearts is a perfectly written series to begin with. If I quit Kingdom Hearts it will be because I am not having fun with it anymore, regardless who is in control.

HakaishinChampa

Awards
I'll still play the games as I love the Disney aspect, I feel like there's a few ways they can keep making games without Nomura:

- Unreal Engine 5 versions of past games with improvements and maybe additional worlds. Remember how Jungle Book was supposed to be in BBS? Why not add Jungle Book. Treasure Planet in DDD? Add it.

If they can get permission for Tarzan, add Tarzan in Chain of Memories.

- Pull a Final Fantasy and have let's say Kingdom Hearts 7/8 be a completely new universe.

Maybe Mickey or Donald could be the Main Character in this Universe, it could just be for one game, it doesn't need to be a Saga like the current series, just a one off thing.

Sonofjafar

Awards
I'll still play the games as I love the Disney aspect, I feel like there's a few ways they can keep making games without Nomura:

- Unreal Engine 5 versions of past games with improvements and maybe additional worlds. Remember how Jungle Book was supposed to be in BBS? Why not add Jungle Book. Treasure Planet in DDD? Add it.

If they can get permission for Tarzan, add Tarzan in Chain of Memories.

- Pull a Final Fantasy and have let's say Kingdom Hearts 7/8 be a completely new universe.

Maybe Mickey or Donald could be the Main Character in this Universe, it could just be for one game, it doesn't need to be a Saga like the current series, just a one off thing.
I had an idea awhile back for a game where Mickey, Donald, AND Goofy are are all playable

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I don't think so, but who knows. Sure, Nomura in regards to KH anyway sometimes annoys me (giving Keyblades to everyone, nixing the FF characters over XV drama and forcing XV storylines onto KH characters, taking ages to get anything out, not giving enough time to the female characters--and no, I'm not referring to Kairi, who would be a waste of screentime), but the fandom from what little I've interacted with it here at least seems even more untrustworthy and a new director would be more likely to cater to their every whim. Nomura is the reason Sora and Riku still have main focus, whereas the fandom would like it to be Kairi or Ventus or Xehanort, who knows. *shudder* And they'd exx out Disney for Marvel, PIXAR, and Star Wars ASAP. Nomura may do that, too, for all I know, but hopefully not to the same degree. We'll see.

With a new person in charge, I might initially give them a chance, but if they retired Sora as the main character, that would be a jump ship moment for me.

Sonofjafar

Awards
I don't think so, but who knows. Sure, Nomura in regards to KH anyway sometimes annoys me (giving Keyblades to everyone, nixing the FF characters over XV drama and forcing XV storylines onto KH characters, taking ages to get anything out, not giving enough time to the female characters--and no, I'm not referring to Kairi, who would be a waste of screentime), but the fandom from what little I've interacted with it here at least seems even more untrustworthy and a new director would be more likely to cater to their every whim. Nomura is the reason Sora and Riku still have main focus, whereas the fandom would like it to be Kairi or Ventus or Xehanort, who knows. *shudder* And they'd exx out Disney for Marvel, PIXAR, and Star Wars ASAP. Nomura may do that, too, for all I know, but hopefully not to the same degree. We'll see.

With a new person in charge, I might initially give them a chance, but if they retired Sora as the main character, that would be a jump ship moment for me.
I get Sora and Riku are a popular ship but I honestly think focusing on Sora’s relationship with Kairi would make more sense for the way the story is going.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
Sora and Riku being the main characters the whole series is unrelated to shipping... Shipping is not canon, so...

bambii

Awards
Website
twitter.com
Yeah, KH without Nomura isn’t KH. Would I still be interested? Undoubtedly. It’d be a kind of nervous, nauseous, “please be good” kind of interested. I have a very hard time imagining what it would be like without him, though.

For what it’s worth, I’d probably feel very similarly if KH ever moved on without Yoko doing the score. Ishimoto ain’t gonna cut it.

I’m curious—out of everyone who’s worked on the series so far, who would y’all be most comfortable with taking the reins from Nomura, if it came to that? I’m imagining it’d have to be Tai Yasue, but I’m not sure how much of a hand he’s actually had in the writing and creative direction of the series.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Yeah, KH without Nomura isn’t KH. Would I still be interested? Undoubtedly. It’d be a kind of nervous, nauseous, “please be good” kind of interested. I have a very hard time imagining what it would be like without him, though.

For what it’s worth, I’d probably feel very similarly if KH ever moved on without Yoko doing the score. Ishimoto ain’t gonna cut it.

I’m curious—out of everyone who’s worked on the series so far, who would y’all be most comfortable with taking the reins from Nomura, if it came to that? I’m imagining it’d have to be Tai Yasue, but I’m not sure how much of a hand he’s actually had in the writing and creative direction of the series.
It would have to be somebody lesser known but has had a good track record at SE, and is familiar with Nomura's games. Hiroyuki Itou (not the FFXII director, the other Itou) and Tatsuya Kando could totally handle it. Hiroki Chiba perhaps.

Last edited:

Sonofjafar

Awards
Not sure how familiar he is with Kingdom Hearts in particular but Toby Fox has been known to be a fan of JRPGS as awhile so seeing his take on a Square franchise would be cool. At the very least, he can do the soundtrack

Back