• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

X-Blade pronunciation

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.
Awards
in english, isn't it pronounced as the Kai-Blade since X(Chi) is pronounced as 'kai' in english? Or would it be pronounced as Key-Blade, since that's how they pronounce it in Japan?

DiceKiller

hope I don't rust
I'm not quite sure. I was wondering about this though about how they were going to translate it over to the english version. My bet is that it will still be pronounced keyblade , but would be shown in the subtitles as 'keyblade', with the quote marks to distinguish it as a difference.

Z

Zulkir

You know that scene where MX goes(it was in the trailer)

"Those with hearts tainted with darkness are not worthy of wielding the keyblade.

He was actually using the greek "chi", so he was saying X-blade.

I wonder how the english will handle this, you already call the keyblades keyblades, calling the X-blade keyblade would be blegh.

Calling it "Ex-Blade" would be...just...no.

I suppose they could say "Ultimate" or "Legendary" keyblade.

Talys Alankil

in english, isn't it pronounced as the Kai-Blade since X(Chi) is pronounced as 'kai' in english? Or would it be pronounced as Key-Blade, since that's how they pronounce it in Japan?
English-speakers say "kai" 'cause they don't know how to actually pronounce it. X is a greek letter and has only one pronounciation, trasnscripted as "chi" but hard to make you understand since there's no equivalent in English. Best would be to try to find some audio sample. But the result would actually be pronounced in a way very close to Keyblade, actually.

Goldpanner

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Oh! So that's why I was hearing 'kei-bureedo' and reading 'X-bureedo'. Waa, smart ^^;

Z

Zulkir

X-blade just sounds strange imo, sounds very power-ranger ish.

T

The Spoiler

I never understood this... in the japanese version they just say keyblade, but when that guy translated it he wrote Key(X)blade...

Im sure in the english version it will have a name, calling it the keyblade wouldnt make sense, and isnt the X-Blade a fan name, since its like an X?

New2Ya

I'm lost...
If you ask me, it will be called "Ex-Blade."

It's shaped like an X/cross and it's written like an X. And the X has been a symbol for all evil in Kingdom Hearts, so logically speaking, they would use THAT symbolism and call it Ex-Blade.

Reverie

Bronze Member
Awards
I think it'll be pronounced "Ex-Blade";it probably doesn't have a meaning, but it makes sense.

Petrex

i am greek and i think/ hope i can help out

Keyblade:
keeburedo
^ HEE-BOO-REDO

X-Blade:
_focused as greek_

X= Hi (hee)
X (hee) blade....

pronounciation is off if u thought about it but see whats going on, how their going to write it? id prefer keyblade or 'keyblade'..

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Okay. Keyblade is written as キーブレード, Kii-bu-ree-do.

X Blade is written Xブレード, chi-bu-ree-do. X doesn't exist in Japanese but if you use the closest character in Japanese that would say an X sound is Shi or Chi. Chi-bu-ree-do also keeps it saying Keyblade which gives it's name a double meaning.

Like Syaoran. Or Shaoran. Xiǎoláng is his Chinese name but that can't be said in Japanese because of the X, l, and g. An easier way is to say Shao(Xiao --> Siyao -->Syao) Ran (lang --> ran because the g isn't said)

It's confusing but in English, they will say X Blade because in English we don't have multiple spellings and meanings of words like in Japanese.

It also seems like it will be difficult to explain in the game because MX talks about how we read Keyblade as Kiibureedo but it can be read is Chibureedo (or X-Blade). That kind of stuff doesn't translate to English.

Last edited:
T

The Spoiler

i tihnk it would be stupid just to refer it as "keyblade"
Thats not what they refer it as in Japan anyway.
They say Kiiburedo for keyblade, but for the "Xblade" they say Chiburedo, which doesnt really translate to anything in english, and the closest thing we can get is X...

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Thats not what they refer it as in Japan anyway.
They say Kiiburedo for keyblade, but for the "Xblade" they say Chiburedo, which doesnt really translate to anything in english, and the closest thing we can get is X...

Which is what I just explained with the shi chi X thing.

It has to be called X Blade because there is no other translation for it. Unless you would like to hear them say THE CHI BLADE!

It is even written X bureedo which is X Blade. I doubt it will be changed to Ex blade because it is pretty much defined as X Blade.

Chrono Mizaki

Banned
Or.. they can come up with a new bloody name which have the meaning is in the same vain as the japanese counterpart. Because if they use xblade, it'll be fucked up and unoriginal, as no one will be getting any respect for using the word 'x' in a title that shouldn't be there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back