• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Xenosaga or Dark Cloud ?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Esp-Ada

Super Waterbender!
I am about to buy a new RPG and I want to buy either Xenosaga or Dark Cloud. Those of you who have played them, which one do you think is better. I will eventually get both but Im getting one for now, so I would like to know what you people think I should get first.

Banishing Blade

Iron Tomato
Awards
I would say Dark Cloud. It's a very good game, I enjoyed it a lot. I've only played about 5 minutes of Xenosaga though, so I wouldn't give my opinion to much of a thought.

DarrcEnigma

In the end it'll come down to what you like. The original Dark Cloud was a dungeon crawler with some other elements thrown in. Essentially what you'll be doing is going down to the bottom of various dungeons fighting monsters and collecting items to restore the world. I personally don't like Dark Cloud because of the battle system they chose. Unlike a dungeon crawler like Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter or the .Hack series (both of which are good, by the way), Dark Cloud chooses to be more realistic and have your weapons break after being used so many times. I just found it incredibly annoying to have my weapon brake halfway through a dungeon, or worse yet during one of the bosses.

Xenosaga is a more traditional, turn-based RPG along the lines of Final Fantasy. That being said, it does vary from Final Fantasy in nearly every other way, especially in terms of the battle system -- which is actually somewhat similar to Chrono Cross. You'd probably like Xenosaga more than Dark Cloud if you're into heavily story-driven RPGs. Xenosaga does over do it a little, though, since some scenes can be several minutes long, sometimes almost one after another.

Esp-Ada

Super Waterbender!
I am more into RPG's with good stories so it seems like I might like Xenosaga better...Is it really that different than the Final Fantasies though ? From what I have seen in screenshots it seems to be like a high-tech space RPG, thats really the difference I see.

DarrcEnigma

NYcKiD said:
From what I have seen in screenshots it seems to be like a high-tech space RPG, thats really the difference I see.
That's pretty much what it is, though it takes place in space and on several different planets. As far as it being different from Final Fantasy, like I said the battle system is probably the most notable difference. You can also interact with objects outside of battle to do various things (weaken enemies, destroy things to find new areas, etc.), you can see your enemies on screen and avoid them (if you want) as opposed to random encounters, and there's an e-mail system that comes into play at times. The e-mail system is more along the lines of a side-quest, though, so that really doesn't count. There's probably other bits and pieces that I'm overlooking, but that's the majority of it.

Blue Mage

Bearer of the True Rune.
Cool, that Exnosaga game sounds intresting. Please gie me some more ibfo about it. & Wahts the story?

DarrcEnigma

Blue Mage said:
Wahts the story?
Instead of trying to explain the entire storyline for you I'll direct you to GameSpot's Review of the game. In a nutshell it's basically the story of a group of people trying to save the universe from an alien race known as the "Gnosis," while at the same time uncovering the secrets of an ancient artifact known as the "Zohar."

Each character has a different reason for being in the group and their own backstory that's slowly revealed during the games (there are two already released -- four more games are supposed to be released to complete the story; probably on the PS3/"PS4"), so the only way to understand everything is to play the game. There's something called the "U.M.N." that becomes available during the game that stores a list of keywords -- such as character names and area details -- that go into further detail. It's a literally massive storyline, and since the first game is only $20 now, I don't see how an RPG fan could pass it up.

Blue Mage

Bearer of the True Rune.
Wait, it said on the review that Xenosaga had some refreances to differnet religions & that some might be ofended.

How religious references come into play in a game that's otherwise filled with monsters, giant robots, and science-fiction conventions isn't made entirely clear. The game's use of things like images of crucifixes, the Hebrew alphabet, the number 666, and direct references to the Bible and cabala seem as though they're in there for shock value as much as anything else. Some may be offended by this stuff, while others may find it creepy, along with the game's subtitle, which translates as "The Will to Power" and appears to be a reference to the work of German philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche. Others will probably think it's cool. It's definitely unusual material to see in a role-playing game.

Im a Chrisatian & I relay dont want to buy a game that I will have to take back in a day or two, if I even can take it back.
Do you think I should not play it then?

Esp-Ada

Super Waterbender!
I dont think it matters if it is referring to a religion as long as you dont take it offensively. I am a catholic but I wont let that stop me from playing any video game. Any way it kind of sounds like Tales of Symphonia to me, becuase of being able to see your enemy, and also because of the e-mail thing. I didnt know it was only $20, thats better for me so I dont have to spend as much money. Well, I think I will be getting Xenosaga like tomorrow or something, so thank you.

Coffee Lover

Bronze Member
Awards
I'm probably too late, but if you don't like Anime like RPGs, then don't get Xenosaga, get Dark Cloud. I've been looking at some screenshots and doing a bit of research on this game.

DarrcEnigma

Blue Mage said:
Im a Chrisatian & I relay dont want to buy a game that I will have to take back in a day or two, if I even can take it back.
Do you think I should not play it then?
Hmm... in all honesty I can't say much about that. If you're offended by cross-shaped items (like the Zohar), references to made-up "Gods" or calling something with immense power a "God," then this game probably isn't for you. The references to the Devil -- which is mainly the "666" mark on a certain character's hand -- don't really feel like references to religion at all (to me, at least). I can't say why the number 666 is on his hand since it would spoil some parts, but there are other people with numbers on their hands as well. Just think of them as a group, and he's the 666th member of that group. As for the "Hebrew" or "Greek" alphabet, it's really just things like the letters/words "Alpha," "Delta" and "Omega." For reference, .Hack and Sonic have even used the names/letters before. .Hack's server names and Sonic Adventure's 100-series robots, to be more specific.

Dark Cloud and Xenosaga are both $20, NYcKiD. They've been "Greatest Hits" for quite some time now. Dark Cloud 2 and Xenosaga Episode II are the ones that are still in the $30-$50 range.

Blue Mage

Bearer of the True Rune.
DarrcEnigma said:
Hmm... in all honesty I can't say much about that. If you're offended by cross-shaped items (like the Zohar), references to made-up "Gods" or calling something with immense power a "God," then this game probably isn't for you. The references to the Devil -- which is mainly the "666" mark on a certain character's hand -- don't really feel like references to religion at all (to me, at least). I can't say why the number 666 is on his hand since it would spoil some parts, but there are other people with numbers on their hands as well. Just think of them as a group, and he's the 666th member of that group. As for the "Hebrew" or "Greek" alphabet, it's really just things like the letters/words "Alpha," "Delta" and "Omega." For reference, .Hack and Sonic have even used the names/letters before. .Hack's server names and Sonic Adventure's 100-series robots, to be more specific.

Dark Cloud and Xenosaga are both $20, NYcKiD. They've been "Greatest Hits" for quite some time now. Dark Cloud 2 and Xenosaga Episode II are the ones that are still in the $30-$50 range.

Oh. Wel I pay Final Fanantasy X a lot & it refers to Yevon all the time & I dont see anything wrong with that, its just a game. But maybe I should rent it first. Thanx for the scoop DarrcEnigma.

Esp-Ada

Super Waterbender!
RPGplaya said:
I'm probably too late, but if you don't like Anime like RPGs, then don't get Xenosaga, get Dark Cloud. I've been looking at some screenshots and doing a bit of research on this game.

I like Anime like RPG's actually, thats how ToS was so I dont think I would really mind. I mostly just care about the stroy, the graphics really dont bother me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back