• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

You know what'd be sick? A Kingdom Hearts remake

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
I don't think the original KH game should be remade, nor should the Seekers of Darkness Saga be remade and retold in three games. I think we should leave the SoD Saga as is and continue forward. I don't support the idea of remaking KH1 because, like Hideo Kojima had suggested about remaking the original Metal Gear Solid: it would have to be a reimagining, seeing as how it would have to reintroduce a lot of the lore that was presented after the original's release.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I’m sorry but I genuinely don’t understand why you’d wanna play an inferior version of a game you like. That sounds like a giant waste of time, not just for the player but for the developers as well. I’d rather they spend their time making a game people will actually connect with on its own terms.
Well, I can only speak for myself when it comes to anticipating remakes, but often times it's because I'd enjoy a new version of something old I know I like (even with the issues a re-make would bring) more than navigating through new products that are often lacking the same punch in many ways.

To use one example, I was happy that Digimon Adventure 01 received a sequel series in tri. and now a full-blown re-make instead of something new because everything they made after the first season was crap to some degree or another to me. Now I do like most of the KH games post-1 (and learned to like a few of the others), and yet I won't lie that none of them have ever been in the first game's league to me. I'd appreciate re-visiting that game. I wouldn't want a re-make of the entire franchise though, just that one.

Last edited:

toniostarke

Awards
The only things I really want from a KH1 remake are those specific DISNEY worlds reimagined KH3 style and those DISNEY boss fights KH3 ReMIND style.

With that said, if they bring back those worlds (specifically Agrabah, Atlantica, Halloween Town, and NeverLand) in future KH games and give us the DISNEY boss fights from those worlds, then I really don't need a KH1 remake.

If they ever do remake KH1, I beg them to please let Jafar's sorcerer boss fight include him transforming into the snake AND the genie fight be an actual fight with Jafar and not animal abuse. Kthnx.
Yeh honestly, all I really want are better, more robust versions of those. So if they do end up bringing those worlds back in future games, I'd be fine without a remake too. Like the best example of this (to me at least) was Traverse Town in 3D. To see this world I know so well from 1 fleshed out and opened so much was awesome, and heck even Olympus in 3 was pretty sick now that I think about. Of course they didnt bring back the Coliseum, but still. Like I guess one big redo of a world in future games would be fine, and it's not like a KH game is never not gonna be fun to play so I guess if they did that, a remake wouldn't be all that necessary

toniostarke

Awards
I don't think the original KH game should be remade, nor should the Seekers of Darkness Saga be remade and retold in three games. I think we should leave the SoD Saga as is and continue forward. I don't support the idea of remaking KH1 because, like Hideo Kojima had suggested about remaking the original Metal Gear Solid: it would have to be a reimagining, seeing as how it would have to reintroduce a lot of the lore that was presented after the original's release.
Would it have to be a reimagining, though? If you think about it, KH1 was made with the possibility of being the only game in the series ( I think) so that games story by itself could work as it's own, isolated game. And it's not like they'd have to retell the whole Saga, remaking and refreshing the first game would be fine. I'm positive the majority of the people who'd be interested in buying this would be people who have nostalgia for this, so they could totally get away with reusing all the old audio and character dialogues so they straight up could just leave the story as is. The only thing I'd really want from a remake is a nmfor square to re imagine the levels with the same mindset and design philosophy that went into Kh3s levels. Combat and abilities could probably stay the same (though a few tweaks here and there wouldn't hurt) Sure, I always prefered the Ps2 quality models of yore, but they'd probably remake everything to look like 3, so thatd suck, but those are really the only things that would really have to change, ya know?

Tho I would definitely lobby for KH3's gummi system. KH1 gummi's kinda trash ngl

toniostarke

Awards
I would be onboard for a remake of the xehanort saga as a trilogy that removes all the unnecessary repetition of concepts/worlds.
Chain of memories should be a post-game content of kh1 with no disney world revisit and just the main plot.
Days could be seen as flashbacks alongside the adventure of kh2, like they did with tidus father adventures in ffx. re:coded would just be a post-game content of kh2 that starts at castle oblivion.

All of this would allow newcomers to catch up with the story without feeling lost and confused having to play all 300 hours of retelling and copy paste content.
Actually that'd actually kinda work. Like if they ever wanted to pull a FF7 Remake on us cept with Kingdom Hearts, the straight could do a Kingdom Hearts: Seeker of Darkness Saga Episode 1/2 with each episode being Kh1 and 2 with the story of the side games wrapped in the two. But, I'd probably be like a lot of people and be upset that Days got shafte again and reduced to just cutscenes instead of the coop game on consoles we wanted. I'm probably in the minority, but the same would go for Coded, an awesome game that NEEDS to be on something other than the Ds based on gameplay alone.

...but if we're being fair, Coded could just straight up be skipped over and nothing would change. It's about as necessary to the series as the drunken night that birthed it

toniostarke

Awards
I agree that they should do KH1-2 remakes once phase 2 finishes or the series reached a conclusion.

Other than that, my only concern about KH1 and 2 remakes would be the way they handle the gameplay and balancing, which is already very good and it's the thing that got me hooked on this series way back then.

When they do it, I would definitely love to see the classics in UE4/5 with a revamped UI and stuff. Just don't change the gameplay mechanics too much. Maybe add a few new abilities that won't deviate too much from the original and won't break the game, add some new story content and new bosses and maybe even new keyblades.
Oh absolutely. I like 3's gameplay, sure, but I would hate for them to put that gameplay into those first two games. The way the 3 main games play is what makes them special so changing that would ruin the experience in a way. I will say, however, that those two games could use some minor tweaks to make combat a bit smoother in line with more action games (primarily like the ability to move sooner at end of attack animations and attacks and magic in the air not getting canceled as you land), but they'd be absolutely fine doing a Demons Souls remake and keeping the gameplay as is. Buuuut I'd be lying if I said blocking and using potions in mid air weren't nice changes done in 3

toniostarke

Awards
Besides Union X, the only other remake I’d rather have is a 358/2 Days.

They could add in some more details about subject X to make it a bit more relevant to Phase 2.
Buh what about Re:coded😢...?

Olympia's a heavy keyblade, three wishes is fast...

...and Exospark...

Attachments

• Exo_Spark_KHREC.gif
    Exo_Spark_KHREC.gif
    889.9 KB · Views: 3

toniostarke

Awards
What I meant is that topping the original is not the goal or shouldn't be? It's usually just having a new experience that plays off of the original product. A KH1 re-make would of course be inferior to the real KH1, but I would still like to experience a version of those same worlds and its storyline with the new scope of technology. I don't think of remakes as something that's supposed to surpass or replace the original because that's usually impossible. They're just something fun to interact with if you're a fan of the original product because it plays on your nostalgia.

That said, the problem with a KH1 re-make is, as pointed out here, that Nomura would try to tie into the story via worldlines and I don't really want that...
Ya know, you're right, Nomura probably would try something like that. In all honesty, unless Nomura is a big contributing member of gameplay, sfx, and world design, an ideal remake wouldn't even need Nomura's involvement. This could be made in the background while Nomura focuses on something else

v4vendetta

Awards
Man I agree to this so hardcore.
KH1 is so convoluted and clunky. I mean, some of the boss fights are obnoxious and difficult not for any lack of skill but because the camera likes to randomly focus on Sora's ankles or something. I experienced this mostly during the fights with Oogie Boogie and Ursula, but it was a consistent issue throughout. I kept finding myself feeling frustrated instead of having fun because I couldn't see what I was fighting.

Some connections that you were supposed to make instinctively just didn't seem to make sense to me?
For example, in Atlantica you have to ride the dolphin near Ariel's Grotto to get the second dolphin that takes you to the sunken ship to spawn. But the first dolphin doesn't take you anywhere so I thought it was a fun gimmick or something because the game never established that the dolphins take you places, in fact it established the opposite.

Many of the locations seem like complete labyrinths where there is no clear indication of where to go. Without a walk-through it almost feels impossible to navigate to me.
Some players might find this level of unaware exploration fun, but I find KH2 to be a superior game in nearly every way when it comes to directing the player's assumptions.

Don't get me wrong, for 2002 it's excellent...but it doesn't hold up in 2021. I think a KH1 remake with updated graphics and smoother gameplay would be a phenomenal idea. It makes it less of a hassle to replay, and the OG exists for everyone who wants it.

GreyouTT

Awards
Besides Union X, the only other remake I’d rather have is a 358/2 Days.

They could add in some more details about subject X to make it a bit more relevant to Phase 2.
I'd love an X remake. I can picture it in my head too:
  • X Scenario (Basically just the plot of the original X, maybe with a bit more of Strelitza added in.)
Completing the X scenario unlocks:
  • UX Scenario (Starts like a NG+ but fast forwards to the bells and goes from there with the new worlds UX introduced. With side quests to the X worlds that act a bit like second visits.)
Completing the UX scenario unlocks:
  • DR Scenario (Sort of like a Reverse/Rebirth deal)
And I could see Medals acting something like a Command Deck or as accessories for stats.

Grey Skies

Awards
I don't want a remake of KH1. I think the PS3, PS4, Xbox One, and now PC remasters are more than good enough in all departments. With most games I'm open to remakes, but given Square exhausted almost all of their Disney charm on KH1, a remake of KH1 would not be anywhere near as charming as the original. Plus I think the gameplay of the series post-KH1 has never been as good as the original, so I do not trust that a KH1 would be an improvement in the gameplay department either. If they remade KH1, it could well be a good game. It's not like KH has been trash since 2004, as much as us fans like talking shit about it, but it also hasn't improved so much that a remake of KH1 could possibly be better than the original.

Foxycian

Awards
That would be interesting but I’m more infested in phase 2, I want to see phase 1 remake that’s for sure but it might really take long cause the first Saga had like 8 main Games (not counting movie like back cover or demo episode/game like 0.2 or a phone game like Khux, and in fact Khux is tied to both dark seeker saga and this new saga, So it’s not really exclusive to one)

the 8 main games of the Dark seeker Saga
Kh1
KhCom
KhDays
Kh2
Khbbs
Khcoded
Kh3D
Kh3

Soo rather than look back, I would rather Right now we move forward and see the new story.

toniostarke

Awards
I don't want a remake of KH1. I think the PS3, PS4, Xbox One, and now PC remasters are more than good enough in all departments. With most games I'm open to remakes, but given Square exhausted almost all of their Disney charm on KH1, a remake of KH1 would not be anywhere near as charming as the original. Plus I think the gameplay of the series post-KH1 has never been as good as the original, so I do not trust that a KH1 would be an improvement in the gameplay department either. If they remade KH1, it could well be a good game. It's not like KH has been trash since 2004, as much as us fans like talking shit about it, but it also hasn't improved so much that a remake of KH1 could possibly be better than the original.
I agree that just about all of Kh1 is good except for the worlds and gummi missions. Gummi missions in 1 are slow as hell and definitely weigh down by game design trends of the time( having to manually fly to each world until the warp upgrade, which wouldn't be bad if the trips were fun to make) And most of the worlds kinda suck. There are a few good ones, hollow bastion is mostly fine, end of the worlds cool, and cave of wonders is pretty fun to explore, but you can't sit here and tell me that the collection of rooms they call wonderland sits right with you. I honestly feel that exploring huge open and intricate worlds with Og kh gameplay (I'd prefer final mix tho cuz triangles kind of a godsend) would be an awesome time
Sure Kh1 is already the most detailed exploring experience of all the series, but having actual WORLDS to play around in and explore would be a much better experience than a series of rooms made because of hardware limitations of the time. And I'm sure the og team wanted to make the worlds bigger and more robust, now they have the technology to do so is all I'm sayin

toniostarke

Awards
That would be interesting but I’m more infested in phase 2, I want to see phase 1 remake that’s for sure but it might really take long cause the first Saga had like 8 main Games (not counting movie like back cover or demo episode/game like 0.2 or a phone game like Khux, and in fact Khux is tied to both dark seeker saga and this new saga, So it’s not really exclusive to one)

the 8 main games of the Dark seeker Saga
Kh1
KhCom
KhDays
Kh2
Khbbs
Khcoded
Kh3D
Kh3

Soo rather than look back, I would rather Right now we move forward and see the new story.
Personally, a complete remake of all the old games would be cool, but really I'd be down with a remake of just kh1. Reason being to see those worlds remade to be huge and explorable like in kh3. I'm not entirely sure how much involvement the core team KH team (Nomura and other veterans) would have in level design, but they could literally use the old audio files and get some other team to do the remake while the core team focuses on something else. I feel that's kinda what they did for Re:coded and that games (mostly) fine. Aside from designing new worlds, all they'd have to do is basically copy and paste the gameplay so that it plays like kh1. Tbh I'd be completely fine if they just re use all the models and stuff from the HD port. As long as they get some competent people on world design, Square could just straight up make this in the middle of phase two and not interrupt anything else.
Of course, that might be just wistful thinking, but I'd say it's getting to be about time to reintroduce players to the series origins while saving them from experiencing relics of that era

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Personally, a complete remake of all the old games would be cool, but really I'd be down with a remake of just kh1. Reason being to see those worlds remade to be huge and explorable like in kh3. I'm not entirely sure how much involvement the core team KH team (Nomura and other veterans) would have in level design, but they could literally use the old audio files and get some other team to do the remake while the core team focuses on something else. I feel that's kinda what they did for Re:coded and that games (mostly) fine. Aside from designing new worlds, all they'd have to do is basically copy and paste the gameplay so that it plays like kh1. Tbh I'd be completely fine if they just re use all the models and stuff from the HD port. As long as they get some competent people on world design, Square could just straight up make this in the middle of phase two and not interrupt anything else.
Of course, that might be just wistful thinking, but I'd say it's getting to be about time to reintroduce players to the series origins while saving them from experiencing relics of that era
Maybe they can make a point of revisiting some worlds in new games (lets' face it, they will anyway).

Cumguardian69

Awards
KH1 remake? It sounds like.....idk man. I FEEL a KH1Re wouldn't do so hot. When I think of KH1, I don't think of KH2 gameplay, KH3 graphics, or bombastic OST. Kh1 to me is basically an early PS2 game. I'm talking hold L2 and R2 to rotate that awful camera. IDK how they'd remake KH1 but it just wouldn't feel right. It's too new imo.

Deliverance

Awards
qeeugb7qktxzhfb0aiiz.jpg

AlvisComparison.png

Yeah, it's totally a generic art style. It's one thing to have a preference for an artistic style but you're factually incorrect in saying that the character models for the original game are better than the Definitive Edition, the latter emote properly and have fingers.

Remakes are designed to be a different experience. Whether they're better than the original all comes down to personal preference. A remaster/enhanced remaster is designed for compatibility with modern hardware. The original version of the game isn't suddenly gone just because the remake exists, you can still play Final Fantasy VII if you're that much of a purist of the "original vision".
It’s very generic in fact. It’s the same moe art design present in every single run of the mill anime game of the past 10 years. Simply compare the character art for the leads of 1 and 2 (which DE is obviously based on) and the difference is clear as day:

b19a3fc45b03f2caf9aebe2e8dfa8c3a.jpg

1200px-Rex.png

The first is a more realistic, almost western design, which is uncommon in these type of JRPGs. And the second is just... generic anime. Also, I never said anything about the graphical fidelity of the models themselves?

And dude, DE is literally the same game but with some gameplay and graphical improvements. Just like 99% of remakes. Don’t act like they’re these completely different games. 7R’s style is not the norm. Of course, the original will always be available... until it isn’t. Because companies would rather preserve the shiny, newer version over the ugly, old one (Ex: Sonic Adventure, Yakuza 2, Chain of Memories).
Well, I can only speak for myself when it comes to anticipating remakes, but often times it's because I'd enjoy a new version of something old I know I like (even with the issues a re-make would bring) more than navigating through new products that are often lacking the same punch in many ways.

To use one example, I was happy that Digimon Adventure 01 received a sequel series in tri. and now a full-blown re-make instead of something new because everything they made after the first season was crap to some degree or another to me. Now I do like most of the KH games post-1 (and learned to like a few of the others), and yet I won't lie that none of them have ever been in the first game's league to me. I'd appreciate re-visiting that game. I wouldn't want a re-make of the entire franchise though, just that one.
In my experience, any hype that comes with seeing any improvement or update in graphical quality in a remake is usually overshadowed immediately by the bad. Like to give my own example:

The Ratchet and Clank reboot had some great graphics and polished shooting, but all I could think about throughout was how the game was the antithesis of everything good about the original. The story being a parody on consumerism was turned into a by the numbers kids movie plot. The characters were removed of any ‘unmarketable’ personality traits. The legendary OST was replaced with the most generic movie score imaginable. It was such disgrace.

But the real twist of the knife is that now, whenever someone searches for ‘Ratchet and Clank’, that’s the version they’re gonna see. When a newcomer looks for the most convenient version to play, that’s the one they’re gonna see.

Back