• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

you've finished BBS? k got a question

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coeurl

Demon Dance
here we go.

why is it titled Birth by Sleep? can someone explain it. oh and please make it simple and clean :) thanks

Marx15

Ω Ω Ω Ω Ω Ω Ω
here we go.

why is it titled Birth by Sleep? can someone explain it. oh and please make it simple and clean :) thanks

bad pun.....but the connection between Ven and Sora was created when Sora was born, and Ven was in a comatose (sleeplike state). (I believe that's a reason)
Also, Nomura wanted the titled to have an acronym, for the fans to use Birth By Sleep=BBS.

Coeurl

Demon Dance
bad pun.....but the connection between Ven and Sora was created when Sora was born, and Ven was in a comatose (sleeplike state). (I believe that's a reason)
Also, Nomura wanted the titled to have an acronym, for the fans to use Birth By Sleep=BBS.
i thought i was funny oh well.

so it's like someone is born when another one sleeps?

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Well, it means a lot of things if you see how some things happen in this game. Like when Terranort fought Aqua then stabbed himself to lock his memories away. He fell asleep and was found by AtW and was "reborn" as Xehanort the Apprentice. Aqua was knocked unconscious after the battle with Ven!Vanitas and was taken back to the Mysterious Tower by Mickey and awoke to her title as Master. Sora, at the beginning of the game, was being born as Ven was "sleeping" and their hearts connected, making Ven awake to being whole again.

And from Reconnect: Kingdom Hearts, we see that AtW placed his research into Sora while he was sleeping for a year. That research is the key to fixing everything, most likely. All Sora has to do is realize it is there and use it.

Also, it would seem that from Ansem's words, everything is born through sleep. It could also relate to how Keyblade wielders seems to awaken to their power through sleep...well...at least between Sora and Roxas, they did through their dreams. Birth By Sleep can mean so many things...and with how winding this game is, I don't think there is a true answer.

Goldpanner

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Ultimania translation by Heartstation said:
- How did you decide on the subtitle for this game, ‘Birth by Sleep’?

Nomura: Honestly, I simply wanted to try using the word ‘by’ (laughs). I thought, game subtitles always have ‘of’ or ‘is’, but you hardly ever see ‘by’. I asked the localisation staff and they said ‘you don’t usually use it in titles’, but according to a producer fluent in English there wasn’t a problem, so I thought it wouldn’t be too odd to use it. Also, I thought it would be good to continue the flow of KHCoM and KH Coded using internet words, and keeping ‘bonds between people’ in mind, I wanted it to be contracted to BBS (Bulletin Board System, software that allows users to connect). Then, I wanted to use the word ‘sleep’, and the result of all that was ‘Birth by Sleep’.

Ansem also says in the secret ending "everything is born by sleep. Yes, even you" to Aqua.

Marx15

Ω Ω Ω Ω Ω Ω Ω
Ansem also says in the secret ending "everything is born by sleep. Yes, even you" to Aqua.

Exactly...I knew I was forgetting something in my explanation lol...but ya, I knew there was also some funny reason that Nomura called it Birth "By" Sleep....lol.

Coeurl

Demon Dance
finally got my computer back ok anyway..

i know about Nomura's so-called 'reasons'. what i want to know if the title is a reference to specific event in the game or maybe to a character. or do i really have to play this game for me to understand?

Memory Master

Gold Member
Awards
Okay Birth By Sleep refers to Ven's heart merging with Sora's heart and entering sleep like state within Sora in order to heal. This event of Ven's heart sleeping in Sora, can be seen as the birth of Sora's story in away.

Hence Birth By Sleep.

That's how I took it anyways.

skyfoxx

Silver Member
Awards
No, Nomura just made it that title because he wanted "by" in the title lol (I'm dead serious)

Well, I'd say that a Birth By Sleep could be Ventus sleeping (when his heart was half-way destroyed) and then Sora's heart was born at that same time and then Sora shared some of his heart with Ventus to give a brand new birth to Ventus. Making it "Birth By Sleep"
I don't know, there's no official reason for the title other than Nomura wanting "by" in the title.

Coeurl

Demon Dance
ah i didn't know that it isn't official. and thanks to all who responded.

and yeah, Nomura's reasons are lame. but whatever.

Goldpanner

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
finally got my computer back ok anyway..

i know about Nomura's so-called 'reasons'. what i want to know if the title is a reference to specific event in the game or maybe to a character. or do i really have to play this game for me to understand?

It looks like you didn't read this post? I thought it was a pretty good explanation for the in-game references.

Well, it means a lot of things if you see how some things happen in this game. Like when Terranort fought Aqua then stabbed himself to lock his memories away. He fell asleep and was found by AtW and was "reborn" as Xehanort the Apprentice. Aqua was knocked unconscious after the battle with Ven!Vanitas and was taken back to the Mysterious Tower by Mickey and awoke to her title as Master. Sora, at the beginning of the game, was being born as Ven was "sleeping" and their hearts connected, making Ven awake to being whole again.

And from Reconnect: Kingdom Hearts, we see that AtW placed his research into Sora while he was sleeping for a year. That research is the key to fixing everything, most likely. All Sora has to do is realize it is there and use it.

Also, it would seem that from Ansem's words, everything is born through sleep. It could also relate to how Keyblade wielders seems to awaken to their power through sleep...well...at least between Sora and Roxas, they did through their dreams. Birth By Sleep can mean so many things...and with how winding this game is, I don't think there is a true answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back