• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Anime/Manga ► Yuri!!! On ICE

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
I finally got around to watching it tonight and somehow managed to avoid spoilers. xD Yuri as prima ballerina was probably the highlight of this episode for me because, I do love ballerinas too. Yuri was so elegant as he moved around. I like that he's begun to grow more and stopped being arrogant. It ought to be a really good competition for both Yuri's in the future against each other.

Viktor and those suggestive bath scenes. lol.

Master Spockanort said:
So people think Viktor [COLOR=black]might have cancer because of what he said about his hair and what Yuuri says in his narration in the first episode about Viktor in the past tense...[/COLOR]

Noooo! Please don't be entirely true because, I do want a happy ending! Okay, realistically, something like that would blow me away for an ending. But I still want a happy and alive Viktor. Who's not in a hospital and dying. ;__; That'd break my heart to see.

Last edited:

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
So, I just watched episode 4. Victor wants to be Yuri's boyfriend so bad :p

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I just. I can easily say I want them to kiss but really in the end I just don't want them to keep baiting like this without solid fulfillment. And when I say fulfillment, I mean I want them to steadily fall in love and that if and when anything happens, it'll feel...real. There is still a lot of emotional distance between them.

but yeah victor has been trying so hard.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
The set-up of these archetypes and tropes feel very intentional for the purpose of turning them on their head. We already saw in the first episode that they took the typical childhood crush archetype character and cut that out almost as immediately as we discovered Yuuri even liked Yuko. That on its own was rather refreshing, and now Yuko is a voice of reason and inspiration without any kind of expected romantic attachment to follow.

Even Yurio with his aggressive, competitive nature feels like he isn't going to be driven to a dark, angst-ridden storyline like his ilk. I do agree he needs more development, but I think we'll see it be a positive discovery about what he really loves about skating rather than becoming driven by anger or jealousy.
Sorry for the late response, forgot about this thread. x'D

I agree with pretty much everything you said, especially after episode 4. Yuko's great! It's nice to see her and Yuuri interact without any of the romantic baggage which is usually associated with their type of character dynamic. Meanwhile, whatever's going on between Yuuri and Viktor continues to gain traction. I enjoyed the beach scene in this episode a lot; there are a lot of ways to play up the obvious contrast between Yuuri (a character who pretty much demands that we read between the lines) and Viktor (who is so upfront and unapologetic), so I'm happy the show is walking a feasible line with it for now. The two are still getting to know each other and focusing on their common vision for whatever form of a partnership they may end up having. I liked how Viktor just went ahead and put all of the options on the table: now we know what they are. The only real question is what we dare to expect.

As for Yurio, I'm warming up to him. I like that he acknowledged why Yuuri was able to outperform him, and he isn't sulking about it. I think Gabriella at ANN said it well:

While I'm sure that his trainers mean well, their draconian and punitive training methods – requiring that Yurio be reborn (and thus die) as many times as necessary – are probably doing a number on the kid's physical and mental health.

The idea that practically his whole life has been spent working through a process of learning how to dissociate from his own personal identity in order to be "the performer" or "the artist" speaks both to an obsessive element and a sort of noble quality of self-sacrifice, both of which could work well as the show continues toy with romantic tropes. It also puts him at odds with Yuuri, whose journey appears to be one of finding himself.

Overall, I thought episode 4 was really strong on character work and I hope to see more like it. I don't need every episode to be about spectacle: I prefer to know why I should care about who wins and who loses.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I haven't seen the episode yet but I've been bombarded with spoilers thanks to Twitter and lord save us all there is just so much text.

But Victor's behavior...I don't trust it. It's too emotionally distant...a lot of calculation behind it in public.

EDIT: I saw sub spoilers. I TAKE EVERYTHING BACK IN THAT SPOILER TAG.

Last edited:

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
This episode made me feel so damn nervous this week, but it was good nonetheless. And I think part of the episode had recycled a small scene with Viktor, which is something I noticed for the first time.

Anyways, can we please have it be next week already? So addicting to watch. xD

And that chapped lip scene. Hot damn. lol.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I finally watched the episode and I have a lot of emotions to express. Now I'll admit that thanks to spoilers, I was prepared for all of the moments that happened this episode but I still died over it all with my friend. Even so, there is plenty to unpack.

I think we finally have a concrete grasp on Victor's character. He's controlling and manipulative but there is an earnest and sweet guy there as well. He genuinely wants to see Yuuri improve is skills as a skater but the biggest "if" has always been "to what end?" While that is still unclear, the manipulative side of Victor can be easily seen in how he touches Yuuri.

For example: the hugs. When Yuuri first initiated a hug back in episode 3, he did it because he wanted some kind of emotional support from Victor. It grounded him in that moment, but Victor seems extremely disconnected from the whole thing. His eyes were distant and unmoved. The hug after the performance in that episode was initiated by Victor, joyously allowing the press to memorialize the moment.

And now in episode 5, we see that Victor has learned how to use this to Yuuri's benefit. Give the kid a hug and it'll wash the nervousness away. When he hugs Yuuri the first time in this episode, again he seems emotionally distant in his eyes. The hug before Yuuri goes out to do his free program is just as hollow on his end, and I think Yuuri's own preoccupied return hug really emphasized how cold Victor's hugs are.

All of these hugs are done with the intent to motivate and center Yuuri. They are constantly done in front of the press to put attention on his and Yuuri's relationship. It gets people talking. It makes them notice Yuuri as a skater and Victor as a coach by adding a narrative to their story. Something the public can latch on to.

Rather than these hugs being used to express some kind of emotional connection between the two, they are instead meant to show where Victor's manipulative side comes in play. Instead, I think it is the moments when Victor watches Yuuri skate or make choices on his own that really show the more honest, loving man that lies underneath the masks.

Every time Yuuri begins to improve or take charge on things, Victor's is drawn to him like a moth. Victor's expressions loosen up from being calculating and cold to being emotional and enraptured. I don't think Victor even realizes it in those moments, and I think this his how Victor will fall in love with Yuuri and it will surprise him when it gets down to it.

Victor will believe he is in control until he isn't any longer and it will be glorious.

/rant

Animation was great this episode. Yurio's precious face is precious. Needed more of him and Mila. <3

MINAMI IS THIS BALL OF CUTE. I thought the animation of his dance was great, but I hated the music and dance moves and outfit so much. It fit his personality to a T but it was so youthful and fun and I couldn't handle it xD

Yuuri's a fucking dork. He confessed his abstract love of Victor (and his friends and family) on national television and I'm forever dead. And what does Victor say? THAT HE'S GONNA THROW HIS UGLY TIE AWAY. OKAY. SURE.

WHY IS IT NOT NEXT WEDNESDAY ALREADY? by then we'd have a new president and I could either celebrate with YOI or drown my sorrows in YOI

Also, here is a great article from ANN if y'all care. (it's actually a really great look at LGBT representation in anime)

What's So Gay About Yuri!!! on Ice? - Anime News Network

Awards
The animation took a dip this episode, but I don't mind. It's almost to the halfway point (unless they do 24ep) so it's alright that they're saving the budget for the upcoming stuff. But as for the episode itself I enjoyed it. What Yuri said at the end of his free skate, I get the feeling something's going to come from that. And, of course, the speech Yuri gave at the end about why he's skating...love, love, love, loved everything about it <3

Mite

Kingly
Staff member
Awards
If anyone wants to try making their own Katsudon from Yuri:
Crunchyroll - FEATURE: Cooking With Anime - Katsudon from "Yuri!!! on ICE"

Also, I don't think I could possibly follow-up on this episode after Ethy's post, so i'm just gonna say this was a great episode. xD

I liked Minami a lot. It was cool seeing Yuri have his own fan, and coming around from being a jerk to being cool to him.

Also, loved that part at the end where Yuri talks about love and stuff, but his family and friends just feel sh*t on because they were "abstract" after all the support they've given him. I think they're justified for doing more than just burning one tie, lol.

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
When you find out the truth about those hugs...

;__; If Viktor crushes Yuri's feelings in the end, I'll forever be mad at him.

I never realized those hugs were for the press. </3 I feel like my heart has taken too much of a beating tonight with my pairings not hooking up fast enough. lol. And yet, I wanna remain optimistic. Now I just wanna go back and analyze every episode of Viktor's interactions with Yuri. Otherwise, definitely loved the in depth stuff you had to say about it, Ethy. Definitely eye opening.

I'll be amazed if they manage to pull off 24 episodes. But I wanna say the standard twelve episodes wouldn't be so bad as long as they pace it right. :3 Since I think 12 is a decent amount a lot of the times with anime.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I mean I could be wrong about the hugs. Seems like a lot of people seem them as positive, healthy touches and I'm just not convinced they are because its just too easy...

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Dear lord hold me. Victor says "lover" in the English dub. Thank you Funimation They are already winning me back after the awful Free!ES dub. I take translation seriously xD

catcake

eien no chikai
Awards
It's interesting so far, but I'm feeling a bit uneasy about where everything is going. It certainly doesn't feel like the typical baiting, there's way too much going on and it just feels a lot... heavier. It's more serious in tone, even if it looks playful and happy on the outside. I don't mind if Victor and Yuri don't get together or anything, but they absolutely can't just play this off as basic baiting and go nowhere with it, never addressing what's going on and just go on like this and end it without any resolution. But, I still fear that's exactly what they're going to do. There seems to be more depth to the whole situation, it feels like the creators know what they're doing, but there has been so many bait shows that just want to cash in on yaoi fans or something nasty and I don't trust anything anymore.

We'll see.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
It's interesting so far, but I'm feeling a bit uneasy about where everything is going. It certainly doesn't feel like the typical baiting, there's way too much going on and it just feels a lot... heavier. It's more serious in tone, even if it looks playful and happy on the outside. I don't mind if Victor and Yuri don't get together or anything, but they absolutely can't just play this off as basic baiting and go nowhere with it, never addressing what's going on and just go on like this and end it without any resolution. But, I still fear that's exactly what they're going to do. There seems to be more depth to the whole situation, it feels like the creators know what they're doing, but there has been so many bait shows that just want to cash in on yaoi fans or something nasty and I don't trust anything anymore.

We'll see.

Well, fun fact:

Sayo Yamamoto, the director of Yuri!!! On Ice, directed Michiko to Hatchin which featured an openly lesbian woman who kisses Michiko. There were also gay males depicted in the show.

In Lupin the III: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine, there is Oscar who is a gay male (and is implied to possibly be trans but I haven't seen the movie so I can't comment on it) and that was also directed by Sayo Yamamoto.

This is why I'm pretty comfortable in the fact that this isn't just bait for the sake of grabbing fangirls for DVD and merch sales (although they will be making loads of money off of it). They are definitely taking a more adult approach to Yuuri and Victor's relationship and it is truly refreshing. It's something everybody can watch because of it.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
It seems to be pretty much canon that they are at least dating at this point. I too have noticed Victor's desire to remain relevant in the public eye though and I'm definitely worried. I'm really hoping for a happy ending though.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
I loved today's episode. The series' whiplash pacing is still something of a hurdle and it's pretty clear Crunchyroll is getting early episode drafts, but given how the show keeps upping the ante every episode (is everyone in this show pansexual because I'm OK with that) I feel like I can't look away. I did think having Yuri select "love" as his theme was a bit on the nose but, hey, they're using it to great effect. I'm still waiting for that moment which will hopefully connect the dots between these disparate stories and characters-- although he's present in every episode, I feel like the most elusive link is still Victor.

The highlights for me were the performances from Georgi and Christophe and how the show displayed reactions from members of the audience to contrast the different styles. I was also pleased to see that the animators didn't rely on some of the stereotypical markers for different races/nationalities: the use of flags and names as cues was much less awkward.

catcake

eien no chikai
Awards
This episode was just hilarious. I can't remember when I've actually laughed at anime but this was just priceless. So many good scenes. I'm starting to feel more comfortable with the whole Victor/Yuri thing too, there's no way they're just baiting. That forehead touch and hand holding. Next week can't come fast enough, really looking forward to seeing how things go for everybody, maybe we'll see more Yurio too.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I died watching today's episode. Chris' short program full of ass had me dying of laughter. Leon is the new bae. GEORGIE'S MAKEUP AND SORROW. Phichit <3

But Yuuri. Oh man. He's becoming more bold and confident and it is really pushing him to the skater he can be. Victor is becoming more engrossed and surprised by Yuuri and I've never been happier.

I think my only worry from this episode is that Yuuri will either crack under the pressure or start to lose himself in the fame. BUT OH BOY. THAT BIT BEFORE HE WENT TO SKATE. Possessive Yuuri is a real thing. I'm crying.

Also what little we saw of Yuri really showed where he is mentally. He looked sort of drained and tired in the first scene we see him in. And of course his constant distance from others...Yuuri vs Yuri is gonna probably be a major learning experience for both of them

Last edited:

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
Yeah, watched it earlier today. Victor and Yuri's relationship is definitely canon. And Yuri seems to be more comfortable with being open about it. I love that it's not the focus of the show and that is seems like any other relationship in anime, rather than the typical BL stuff (which is of course full of tropes). Although I do wish they would try to limit the "gayness" to those two, to preserve some sort of realism to it all. One of the BL tropes that annoys me the most is that everyone is gay. It just feels like someone's fantasy.

Back