• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Anime/Manga ► Yuri!!! On ICE

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Well, Georgi wasn't gay since he was crying about his trifling girlfriend and Chris just seems like the kind of person who likes appreciating hot bodies no matter who or what gender they are.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
Yeah, but I think you get my point. Part of why this is such an exciting show other than the beautiful representation of figure skating is that it portrays a same-sex couple that isn't just pandering. There shouldn't be any other shipping possibilities. It's perfect to just have "Victuri" and then have everyone else just not think of it as any different from a heterosexual relationship.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
Realistically, though, the show is centered around a sport which is heavily populated with gay, bi and pansexual men, as well as effeminate straight men. To not explore the full range of that dynamic would be a disservice to the people who have actually shaped and influenced the art form, and I'm excited to see the show embracing that historical perspective. Just because three or four characters are queer (or implied to be) doesn't mean they're all attracted to each other by default: they embody the same potential to express a variety of personalities, interests, dislikes, and relationship modalities as would any cisgender, heterosexual character.

I would totally understand if it seemed like they were trying to build a harem around Yuri and turn the show into a BL visual novel, but that doesn't seem to be the intention. YOI is aiming to provide a (relatively) true-to-life representation of the world of figure skating, albeit rife with symbolism and the usual anime theatricality. Given that, it would be more pandering to highlight Yuri's and Victor's relationship as a token gay couple, in my opinion. Especially since the show seems to be using ice skating as a vehicle to indirectly advance themes of love and sexuality through showing rather than telling. That's something I love about it. Everyone in this show has an opportunity to express and affirm their sexuality (even secondary characters like Mari), but it generally occurs in the context of the performances and how they're affected as active participants.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
I hear what you're saying. I just hope it continues to focus on the figure skating. I love that it's so obvious that Victor and Yuri are a couple at this point though, without actually having them kiss all the time.

Also, Yuri on Ice nendoroids confirmed!

512116.jpg

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I want to thank Sayo Yamamoto for existing. Mitsurō Kubo too.

I watched it live rather than waiting for subs. No regrets. I screamed in Japanese for a good two minutes.

Last edited:

catcake

eien no chikai
Awards
Watched the stream, waiting for subs now to watch it again. I don't even know what to say tbh. My faith in this world was restored and something good actually happened in 2016. That scene where Yuuri was crying broke my heart tho, his development is so good. This show is so good. Subs where I need to see it again right now.

Mite

Kingly
Staff member
Awards
Wednesdays are best days as long as there is Yuri. ='D

I don't even know how to properly convey how good this week's episode was. I yelled a "HOLY ****" with face half-covered in excitement by the end.

That scene before Yuri skated was so good. Seeing how far Yuri has come as a skater and how far Viktor still needs to go as a coach. I want that Yuri and Yurio face-off now!

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
Judging by the reactions, Victuri is now definitely 100% canon? :p

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
Definitely worth waiting to watch it with subs! Yuri's development as a character has really gone far in growth. Viktor's too. I loved all of performances and got a laugh out of the sleeping beauty one. Of course, the highlight being between Viktor and Yuri totally made my night. <3 I absolutely loved how moved Viktor was by Yuri. Wasn't expecting that at all. <3 Yuri!!! On Ice is a great pick me up when you're feeling down too.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
Yup. Great episode and it's amazing how many people who are still in denial, saying it's still just fujoshi bait etc. I'm sorry, but what kind of world do these people live in where male friends openly hold hands, sleep together, gaze longingly into each others eyes and talk about seduction like that? This show has done an excellent job of building up their relationship without making it the central theme of the show. The figure skating is still its main draw and it looks amazing. But it is made even better by the fact that they treat the obvious same-sex relationship like they would any other. It's not there for comedy or fetish. It's just a normal relationship being portrayed. I love that.

But I think this image sums up all the people who are still in denial about it quite well:

cjY1G5U.png

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Now that I have watched the episode like 4 times, I feel comfortable expressing my feelings about it.

To get it out of the way, the skating by all of the other skaters was fantastic! Phichit deserved his gold medal. Definitely expect him to be in the top three of the GPF.

Chris is...well...nobody can deny that he feels the music and his moves.

Georgi is so intense. I never imagined the serious looking Russian guy would be such a dork. His heartbreak will not take him to the GPF because that sort of drive either gets boring for audiences because it becomes too much or it plateaus for the skater. Unless he channels the heartbreak into pure anger, then it might get him to the GPFs.

As always, it was Yuuri and Victor's relationship which shined the most in this episode. The growth on Yuuri's part has been so realistic and relatable, and I'm struggling to even think of an anime that has managed to show the stresses of anxiety and self-worth as well as this one has.

I don't distrust Victor anymore thanks to this episode. I think a lot of what I was reading as being shady was really just Victor not knowing how to handle emotions because he's never really expressed his true feelings before, nor has he ever known how to handle them being expressed towards him without some kind of mask. Yuuri is forcing him to realize all of his normal facades--the seductive man, the gracious star, the cold and calculating genius--are not enough to meet Yuuri at the halfway point and understand him. The only way he can understand Yuuri is by opening himself up and meeting Yuuri's feelings with his own.

I am so happy with this show. It shows Yuuri and Victor's relationship in such a genuine, natural way. There is no struggle about their sexuality, no concerns about what the world thinks about them (right now at least because they are going to Russia next episode), and it still prioritizes the skating over their blossoming relationship. I can't believe an anime like this exists.

Now I'm just worried because they are going to Russia. Russia, where anti-LGBT sentiments are pervasive and extreme. Victor's home country who he essentially left to train a Japanese kid. Who he kissed on international television.

Re:Magnus, I am also amazed by people still thinking it is queerbait or fujoshi bait. If it was bait, there'd be a lot more unnecessary attention on their relationship as it pertains to their physical attraction to each other and the conflict born of that confusion. And not only would there be unnecessary attention on their physical attraction, it'd also be the primary conflict of the show. This is not bait. This is a genuine relationship.

I've also seen a number of people say that the kiss was just a hug and I'm wondering if they even think about broadcasting regulations and the socio-political views on the LGBT community in general in Japan. It was framed as a kiss. There was intentional focus on their lips and their faces were in a position where they lined up for a kiss. I can see the potential plausible deniability in it, but the dialogue and reactions of the crowd and Yuuri's friends/family says it all. How does a hug even remotely fit in the context of the situation?

On Yuuri's performance: I screamed at the quad flip.

Last edited:

Moonlight Aqua

~Living in a dream~
Awards
Hey guys!

So I am caught up this anime and I'm so in LOVE WITH THIS! And this is the first time I ever shipped two male characters together but damn it! Viktor and Yuuri works so well! As for this last episode? I cried, screamed all around my house and my kid comes and looks at me, deadpan, "You are the weirdest person I ever met." and left me in my happiness. xD

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
b l o o d & m a d n e s

It's pretty much confirmed that the kiss did happen. There are just too many things contradicting the assumption it was "just a hug". Honestly, I believe (and hope) the next step will include holding hands like a couple which I believe isn't going to be subject to censorship on Japanese TV?

I also have to wonder if the decision to involve Russia in this is not a deliberate swipe at their anti-LGBT laws. There are just too many coincidences with this one to just dismiss it as bait. Heck, even the opening theme foreshadows it!

Moonlight Aqua

~Living in a dream~
Awards
b l o o d & m a d n e s

It's pretty much confirmed that the kiss did happen. There are just too many things contradicting the assumption it was "just a hug". Honestly, I believe (and hope) the next step will include holding hands like a couple which I believe isn't going to be subject to censorship on Japanese TV?

I also have to wonder if the decision to involve Russia in this is not a deliberate swipe at their anti-LGBT laws. There are just too many coincidences with this one to just dismiss it as bait. Heck, even the opening theme foreshadows it!
It's been said because of censoring laws, they did that. Which kinda sucks, but eh. I just know that I was screaming like crazy around my house and my kid was just looking at me and said, "You're the weirdest person I ever met." with a deadpan look. xD

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
That's a cute story :p

Anyway, you're right it was clearly because of censorship laws. But I guess to people who are still in denial and think it's all bait it's completely normal for one heterosexual man to ask another heterosexual man if he wants to be his boyfriend or if he should kiss him. Yup. Totally not gay at all.

Moonlight Aqua

~Living in a dream~
Awards
That's a cute story :p

Anyway, you're right it was clearly because of censorship laws. But I guess to people who are still in denial and think it's all bait it's completely normal for one heterosexual man to ask another heterosexual man if he wants to be his boyfriend or if he should kiss him. Yup. Totally not gay at all.
lol Totally not gay at all. I just hope they don't stop all the yaoi, I want more! It seems that next episode Yuri will be more... open to his feelings?

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Can we all agree to not call it yaoi because this is not even close to that. Like I don't even want to classify it as anything because it is so much more natural and not fetistized like yaoi is.

It's just love <3

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
Yeah, it's not really yaoi. Perhaps these definitions are a bit outdated, but to me yaoi = the gay male equivalent of hentai, meaning focus is on sexual activity. And BL is the romantic version. But also, both are from a heterosexual female perspective so neither actually represent real life gay men.

And that is what makes YOI so unique. It's a normal relationship, and the focus is on the skating. It's still primarily a sports anime, as it should be. And a very, very good one at that.

And the creator's latest comments about the show:

http://65.media.tumblr.com/d9ff3be46da5471a163958a3f4be5bd7/tumblr_ogxztsUMsl1u9wedmo1_1280.png

Oh, and here's some amazing fan art of what Victor would look like in real life:

tumblr_of3n5z9X8f1r0uzjbo1_1280.jpg

Last edited:

catcake

eien no chikai
Awards
One more day! Almost there, time is going fast when you're looking forward to something. It's like it was Wednesday just yesterday but at the same time it feels like it's been weeks. Some preview pics should be coming soon apparently, can't wait!

Back