• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Anime/Manga ► Yuri!!! On ICE

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Mite

Kingly
Staff member
Awards
[At first I thought about just posting about this in the Anime/Manga Dumping Ground, but nah, this deserves it's own thread.]
80b19ac98ff9c1e152cc788593e611b21475688870_full.jpg

Yuri Katsuki carried the hope of all Japan on his shoulders in the Figure Skating Grand Prix, but suffered a crushing defeat in the finals. He returned to his hometown in Kyushu and hid away in his family's home, half wanting to continue skating and half wanting to retire. That was when the five-time consecutive world champion, Viktor Nikiforov, suddenly showed up with his teammate, Yuri Plisetsky, a young skater starting to surpass his seniors. And so the two Yuris and the Russian champion Viktor set out to compete in a Grand Prix like none the world has ever seen!

Why is this anime so dang beautiful?! I suddenly care about ice skating, and it's definitely the best anime of the season. Go watch it if you haven't!

Last edited:

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
When I first went into this anime, I was complete blind to what it was. Originally, I thought this would be about female ice skaters, who were getting close to each other; considering what 'Yuri' usually implies. But boy, was I so glad to be wrong! I'm in love with this anime and it is hysterical. This is like Free! but a hundred times better! I would recommend this to anybody because, Yuri's mom is a cinnamon roll. I love how social media is actually used in this anime as well because it's relatable to this day and age. And Viktor, he's fabulously awesome.

I still think it's hilarious how episode two ended with both Yuri's and Viktor. xD That was so devious of him to do!

And I'm dying to see episode three!

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Viktor has no chill; he is just a cutthroat Russian behind adorable faces and heart shaped smiles.

Yuuri is so cute. His simplistic life goals are so wonderful.

BUT YURIO IS SUCH A CHILD I LOVE HIM.

(I'd like to make note of the translation error when they talk about "girlfriends" because the word used there is "koibito" which is a gender neutral term for lover. Take that heteronormative subbing!)

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
Are you the poster who made that note in the myanimelist forum too?

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Are you the poster who made that note in the myanimelist forum too?

No lol I don't have an active account there. But I'm glad others did notice that (hivemind is real). My biggest pet peeve of translation is when context is lost due to mistranslations terms for the sake of idk what.

Gender neutral terms should almost always stay gender neutral.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
So my best friend ended this episode like this:

LLGm4T4.png

The recycling of animation was pretty disappointing. So was stringy & stretchy Yurio's performance...

I am hoping this is more about budget and they decided to focus on later episodes and they will go back and do animation fixes for the bluray release.

Last edited:

Mite

Kingly
Staff member
Awards
Like, subtext is just gone in this show now, right? There ain't no hand-waving any of that away now. Not when Viktor is wolf-whistling Yuri, lol. Among other things too. It'll be interesting to see where the show goes from here.

Last edited:

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Like, subtext is just gone in this show now, right? There ain't now hand-waving any of that away now. Not when Viktor is wolf-whistling Yuri, lol. Among other things too. It'll be interesting to see where the show goes from here.

This is just text, my friend. I don't think they are gonna back down now. The katsudon metaphor hides nothing.

Last edited:

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
The whistle.

Hot damn.

This episode.

I'm still in love with it.

And I really enjoyed both of their performances.

Awards
Everything about this show is just pulling me in, and I love it. The animation is amazing. The characters are all likable. One thing I love, though I'm not sure if they did it on purpose or not, is the difference between Yuri skating and when he's not. In the first episode, during the first half, I didn't get the impression he was this great figure skater. He was timid, lacking confidence, and I didn't understand how he got to this grand stage. Then, after seeing him skate Victor's routine, and seeing how amazing he was, I got it. He is a great skater, he just lacks confidence. And after seeing this latest episode, and seeing him break out of his shell a little bit, I think he's going to be fine. And I can't wait to see what's going to happen next.

Also Victor is adorable.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
The nosebleed scenes had me bursting out in laughter.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
Finally caught up on this show. I initially wasn't going to watch it because Haikyuu is my one fujoshi bait-and-switch guilty pleasure, but once I started reading that the show doesn't rely on subtext so much as context I decided to give it a shot.

Aaaand yeah. I was lukewarm on the first episode and the second episode wasn't much better (I'm admittedly averse to hyperactive shows that hustle through character building to set up an unlikely premise), but that third episode was great and clarified some of the thematic purpose here. I think the touch with Yuuri's chosen costume signaled the potential this show has to be more than I would have expected. I'm interested to see if I grow attached to any of the characters, though; I like Yuuri well enough and Viktor is an entertaining scoundrel, but Yurio needs some real development if I'm expected to care about his typical Sasuke routine-- though his most interesting moment also came in episode 3, right at the end. I'm excited about the hints at other characters in the (beautiful) ED sequence; sports anime are always better with a nice ensemble to round out all of the different perspectives and drives which lead people to follow that difficult path. Right now the show seems to be delivering a number of anime archetypes, but I hope it's clever enough to outdo itself in that regard and not fall into the OHSHC rut of later manga chapters...

As an aside, though, I appreciate how the women in this show are actual characters with voices and lives of their own. Hopefully this isn't the last we see of Mari and Yuko (and those devilish triplets!!). I think I felt a stronger sense of kinship with Mari than anyone else so far.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Funimation Announces Yuri!! on Ice English Dub Cast - News - Anime News Network

Not too sure how I feel about this cast. Features two VAs that never really nail it on their roles in my opinion...

Finally caught up on this show. I initially wasn't going to watch it because Haikyuu is my one fujoshi bait-and-switch guilty pleasure, but once I started reading that the show doesn't rely on subtext so much as context I decided to give it a shot.

Aaaand yeah. I was lukewarm on the first episode and the second episode wasn't much better (I'm admittedly averse to hyperactive shows that hustle through character building to set up an unlikely premise), but that third episode was great and clarified some of the thematic purpose here. I think the touch with Yuuri's chosen costume signaled the potential this show has to be more than I would have expected. I'm interested to see if I grow attached to any of the characters, though; I like Yuuri well enough and Viktor is an entertaining scoundrel, but Yurio needs some real development if I'm expected to care about his typical Sasuke routine-- though his most interesting moment also came in episode 3, right at the end. I'm excited about the hints at other characters in the (beautiful) ED sequence; sports anime are always better with a nice ensemble to round out all of the different perspectives and drives which lead people to follow that difficult path. Right now the show seems to be delivering a number of anime archetypes, but I hope it's clever enough to outdo itself in that regard and not fall into the OHSHC rut of later manga chapters...

As an aside, though, I appreciate how the women in this show are actual characters with voices and lives of their own. Hopefully this isn't the last we see of Mari and Yuko (and those devilish triplets!!). I think I felt a stronger sense of kinship with Mari than anyone else so far.

The set-up of these archetypes and tropes feel very intentional for the purpose of turning them on their head. We already saw in the first episode that they took the typical childhood crush archetype character and cut that out almost as immediately as we discovered Yuuri even liked Yuko. That on its own was rather refreshing, and now Yuko is a voice of reason and inspiration without any kind of expected romantic attachment to follow.

Even Yurio with his aggressive, competitive nature feels like he isn't going to be driven to a dark, angst-ridden storyline like his ilk. I do agree he needs more development, but I think we'll see it be a positive discovery about what he really loves about skating rather than becoming driven by anger or jealousy.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
It's so popular it's already getting a dub? I need to get on this.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
So I watched the dub.

It was about as much as I expected it to be. Not bad, but...the Russian accents are um. Yuri's accent is good, but Viktor's lacks the underlying sensuality that should be there. :\

I'll wait for Episode 2, I suppose.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Episode 4 was a bit filler-y but still very important for the emotional development of both Yuris. Precious angry child has refined himself and has found that vulnerability he was missing by humbling himself, both to the reality of the limits of his body and the abilities of those who surround him.

Yuuri's issue has always been about trusting in himself and opening up to others, so it was great to see him grow closer to Viktor and learn how to.

But god damn Viktor. He does anything he wants. I am the old man in the bath praying. It was nice to see that even he has his weaknesses like low stamina, a fear of going bald, and the more subtle fear about people wanting him to be what they want to see. If Yuuri's character arc is about learning how to become more confident and open, then Viktor's is about being himself and not the man of many masks–the people pleaser.

Right now, Viktor feels like he is lacking as a character because all he's been is a vehicle to Yuuri's own growth. I would like to see Yuuri become a vehicle for Viktor's growth because it really feels like they want Viktor and Yuuri to be equals.

And I continue to marvel at the fact that the overall theme of this show is love and are unashamed about it.

Also how does this show keep getting away with Viktor being naked? I'm going to really be surprised if there isn't a PVC statue in production with Viktor just naked in front of a fountain. honestly I really want one of him skating

Mila is my new fav. All of the women of Yuri!!! On ICE are wonderful. Even Lilia is my new fav because she takes no shit. xD

Animation-wise, it was so much better this episode. Yuri was a beautiful prima ballerina <3 There was a bit of animation recycling but it wasn't as blatant as episode 3.

and god damn it the subbers did it again. 恋人 "Koibito" is not "girlfriend" or "boyfriend". why is "lover" such a hard thing to translate it to?

So people think Viktor might have cancer because of what he said about his hair and what Yuuri says in his narration in the first episode about Viktor in the past tense...

Last edited:
Back