• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Help/Support ► When your whole world's asleep...

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reflection

Princess of Heart
Awards
Uh, hi, help and support section.

So as pretty much most of my friends know, I've got a really severe sleep disorder.
>Delayed sleep phase syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's pretty much killing my life, lol. I don't wake up until late in the evening anymore, I can't go to my normal school, or do anything I used to; church, orchestra, musicals, volleyball, everything I really loved, because I sleep through entire days and I'm awake from about 11:00pm-9:00am.

My family's really concerned, though my sister is convinced that I'm being lazy and causing trouble for everyone, and they want to be able to help me, but most of the time, when I'm awake, they're asleep. Doctors want to help me, and I see them now, but we haven't been able to switch the cycle at all to a normal pattern.

This has been happening since like 3 years ago, though as of late it's really setting in severely. Last year I got diagnosed with a bit of depression because of it, being discouraged with how it affected school and social stuff, etc, so i'm trying really hard to make things normal again, but I haven't seen the sun in forever. It's depressing as shit. I see friends when I can and when they're not busy, which is not often, and otherwise I'm either sleeping, doing schoolwork, or wasting time on the computer.

This worries me. A lot. What does this mean for my future? Does this mean I can't take part in normal society? Am I never going to wake up like a normal person anymore? What is there to do at 3:00 in the morning?

tl;dr I feel like a nocturnal vampire and I'm lonely as fuck. plz to be halping. :C

S

Shadow Soldier

Ear Plugs work wonders. Also, some tranquilizers maybe.

Reflection

Princess of Heart
Awards
Ear Plugs work wonders. Also, some tranquilizers maybe.

The problem isn't getting to sleep, it's waking up.

We've tried every sleep med on the market, if I try going to bed at a reasonable time, I'll stare at the ceiling until dawn. There's no changing the schedule. That's how it's always been.

But what I'm getting at here isn't the disorder, it's how I should be coping with it.

S

Shadow Soldier

There are pills where you have to make sure you get 8 hours of sleep, and they put you to sleep, and then they wear off, and then you wake up. At least I think.

Try getting someone to wake you up in the mornings for a while, train your body to wake up at that time.

_EX

ShadowSoldier V2.0
I have 4.

I never hear them. I wake up and sometimes they're smashed.
._.

Get someone to wake you or does that cause damage if you wake people in really deep sleep?
If not get them to hit you with sticks or pour water on you.

Reflection

Princess of Heart
Awards
There are pills where you have to make sure you get 8 hours of sleep, and they put you to sleep, and then they wear off, and then you wake up. At least I think.

If they're out there, I've tried them.

And again, there's simply no waking up, no "fixing it". We've been trying and fighting that for 3 years. There is no changing the schedule, that's what the syndrome is. At this point I don't feel like fighting it anymore, I just want to know how to cope.

Reflection

Princess of Heart
Awards
I've seen them.

^^;

I think everyone is missing the point here. If I wanted help on the actual disorder I would go to a doctor.

S

Shadow Soldier

Honestly, I think this crossed your mind, none of us are doctors or anything. The only thing I can suggest is listen to the help you're getting from whoever, and that's it.

Though, this may sound stupid, but it might help. There's this show called "The Dr's." or something like that. And they have a website, and if you have any problems, you send them an email or something, and on the show (it's a really great show btw), they'll answer your questions. Like I said, chances are you won't do it, but it might help on how to at least cope with it.

_EX

ShadowSoldier V2.0
funnily enough

one of the doctors i went to actually suggested i move to australia

it would just get out of whack there, though
:C

That probably wont work. For all you know your body will go weird and recalibrate to sleep during the day there and not do any good.

UnnamedPerson

Awards
Ref, I can see how it would be hard to cope with that. Missing friends and school for so long would be horrible :( Is there a chance that the sleeping patterns could change to normal as you get older?
And dont worry. You dont need to feel lonely as long as your on here because you have lots of friends that are on at those times and would be happy to talk to you ^^ As for RL friends, im not really sure what you can do, but I imagine that some of them can Have all-nighters and stay awake with you every now and then xD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back