• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Help/Support ► A great love dilemma

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Faceless

ok, first post. here goes!~

to begin, i've been a KHI user for quite some time 1+ yrs, but on a diff accoutn. i can't use it cause i think my identity has been...um compromised? hence, faceless!!! sorry in advance for making 2 accounts. it may seem paranoia to be making a second account but i need to be careful. someone may figure out who i am if they know me in person. dangerous business. basically i'm being super careful....

kk..this is going to be a long one, so i hope you've got some patience. basically, i'm at the dilemma of my life. this is gonna require some background history.

alright near the beginning of my first few years at college, i fell in love. madly in love with a girl (i'm a guy, just so ya know). we're completely committed to one another, trusting, and we can be completely ourselves around each other. we're committed to the point of marriage. it's perfect. well, sort of....our relationship is secret. very secret. only our school friends know.

the wrench in this plot is our families, our community, and our overall future.
to start, our community.
first of all, we're both asian (so it helps my identity since there is 1 bill+ of us =) ), and so are our families. our families know each other. you know how ur parents have their own group of friends, that are their race only? well, my parents have that. our families were friends. they are friends, kind of now, but not close or anything. they just know each other, but don't really like each other. we used to be kinda close (went camping with them and other families etc). why we're not know, i'll explain later. in any case, the community is vicious. a bunch of other asian parents, religious, fake religious, and non-religious. gossiping bitches left right and center. all they do is gossip. back bite. make rumors. so forth. so whenever anything is us, they talk about it as if it's so damn important. anyways, basically, if anyone in this 'circle of friends' our parents know found out about our relationship, we'd be screwed. our parents would find out. in fact, we've come close to being caught, so rumors are already spreading....why is this bad, you ask? let me explain...(to be clear, i dont give a crap what the community thinks of me...just what her parents and my parents do..)

her family: the two of us are religious, finding our way and such. Christians. her parents are v. v. v. religious. not extreme, like nun and stuff. but it's a big part of their life. so their very strict as you can imagine. she's hardly allowed out, and mingling with guys is forbidden. she's got to lie to them out of necessity...she's tried the truth with minor guy things, but all they do is yell, and put her down...her mom is actually kind of insane. her dad is sane, and is a simple but fair main. very wise, from the stories she tells me. but strict, and protective of her daughter as any father owuld be. she and her dad have a good relationship, not so much with her mom though...

so that's some backgrond on her parents. now for mine. my parents are not so religious (which bugs me, and i'm trying to make them be - another topic for another time...). they are more worried about safety/health/etc. instead of the life after. to me, these are less important. anyways, they're much more liberal, but not in a good way. ok, well there is my brother. ****. basically, he has screwed everything up for me. he went and married this atheist woman (my brother is 'chrisitan' but basically atheist), and he's only 23. my brother is ****ing stupid in general, he drinks, did drugs, and sleeps around. a man-slut. my parents don't know the extent, but i do. anyways, so know the community has kind of isolated my family. they're not part of those 'parties', etc. we're the gossip now, cause my parents let my brother get married. everyone thinks my parents are shit. what's worse, is my stupid-ass dad (argh, sorry, just mad for this) told ppl i said, "my brother can do what he wants". frankly, i just wanted him out of the house, cuz he causes my parents too much trouble. boy is that gonna bite me in the ass. ok so community thinks bad, and since her parents are religious, they think bad of my parents, which means of me as well. doesnt make sense? lemme explain asian religious marriages.

ok. well basically, i'm posting this thread to get advice as to when to break it to our parents that we're in a relationship fully intended for marriage and nothing less. so essentially, it'll be a marriage proposal. (even if the engagement is long...) so what do her parents look for in a guy? being strict and religious, and worried for her future. (1) education - i'm smart. so no big deal. problem: i'm doing philosophy, not much of a future there...so they could be worried. (2) her education - they want her to be a lwayer, and no one to prevent her. i'm supportive, so hopeuflly no big deal. (3) my religiousness - here i am lacking, but i am showing improvement. i am learning and so forth. (4) my family - the trump card. the thing that screws me up, including this with #3. my family is not religious, not that respected in my community (even tho we're rich - trust me, that means crap in my commmunity, which is dumb if you ask me). my bro's marriage makes us look worse... i think her parents are more concerned about this than anything else. Love is not important to them. it doesn't matter that i love her. how do i know this? basically, my lover has told me so, and she asked her dad, who will hopefully have final say (her mom might sway his opinion tho...) (5) my age. Oh yeah, did I mention I'm younger? by like 6 months...but still. her parents are seriously anal about this. she once mentioned "oh, he's my friend" and her parents freaked. they said she can't be 'friends' with guys younger than her (girls are fine of course).

my parents should be fine with everything. they trust me a lot, and even told me to tell them about marriage whenever i'm ready. i think they might be hurt if i don't tell them for so long...but if i tell them too early (way before my lover's parents I mean), then my lover's parents are gonna be pissed off they were told late... so it's not a good idea. plus, i'm not sure if my parents could keep it secret.... it's kinda a code amongst parents to tell one another. my lover has it easy. they're gonna lover her. so no worries about my end. the only worry is how much my family will screw up.

so given this situation...now what??? when do we tell them? we've been lying for a few years now. we see each other often in my car, but that's it. just in my car. maybe at a friend's house once in a while. my undergrad is almost ending (2 more years maybe?)...our plan is after undergraduate. why then? well, i'll seem older, and ill have a degree. so i'll seem stable. hopefully a job, and a plan to go to some graduate education. and by then, my lover will hopefully be heading to law school, so things will seem underway. plus, it'll seem mature. maybe by that time, my bro's marriage will blow over, but i doubt it. plus, my parents aren't gonna improve that much religiously (or her parents aren't gonna notice)...

so a couple of questions. when do we tell our parents? how much do we tell them (i.e. for how long we've been seeing each other, what we've done, etc)? Oh, and rule out the option of running away with each other and stuff... i want her parent's approval. it means a lot. even if they are unreasonable. parents are important to God, and are then important to me...please suggestions/advice/support from anyone of any age. any advice is welcome. but please don't take it badly if i tell you why i can't do what you're asking.

phew...so ... help?

bond of flames

you've got a soul, use it.
Website
www.facebook.com
well, trying to help as much as i can........

you could always just run away, elope, or something.

or..........just tell your parents the need to know stuff.dont go overboard.
you dont want to get mad and blurt out stuff.trust me.

well, i'll think of more help later.haha

kairigirl

Bang!
Awards
Website
kemine.deviantart.com
You're right in at least waiting for marriage till after you've graduated. :/ By then, you'll be able to have a job, a house, and be able to support her. A general rule is this: If you can afford an engagement ring and not have to live in a box for a month (that is, still be able to pay bills, eat, live comfortably), then you're financially stable. Usually, I'd suggest waiting until you're at that point to tell them, but you still have another year or so till you graduate.

To be honest, I'm not sure telling them would be the best thing. It sounds like you two are living with parents still, which is fine, until they decide to kick you out because of who you like. You're right, you should be able to marry who you want to. It is your life. Is there a reason to tell them at this moment what's going on?

I would wait to tell them until after you are financially stable to move out and support her at the same time. Being kicked out at the wrong time could go horribly wrong. True, you don't want them to find out through a gossip vine of sorts, but still.

When you do get ready to tell them, you want to be able to have a firm stance on it. Point out that you realize what they feel, so it doesn't seem like as though you're being completely rude and disobedient. Don't insult them though. But you want to win it though. Win them over to your side. Think of it this way. You're not trying to get them to consent to a marriage by force, you want them to understand what you're saying and actually want to help you in whatever happens. Kay, maybe that might be shooting high sometimes, but if you think that you're trying to get them to your side, it might go better.

I'm not sure what else to say, as I've not been in this before. o-o Just kind of trying to use some logic or sense or something.

Candy Man

Green Lantern Battery
I've got it!!!! Get married secretly, kill her cousin, get deported, then both of you can commit suicide. It's perfect, we'll call it Ro-weru and Juichi. ROTFLMAO!!!

I couldn't resist it's almost exactly the same, but seriously I ain't got a clue.......that is quite a pickle Ro-Weru.

Faceless

first of all, thanks to all those who have responded! it means a lot. i hope more people have got some good advice.

bond of flames said:
you could always just run away, elope, or something.
its too bad this wouldn't work. i just don't want to run away. i'm not that kind of person. i won't run from my problems. i take them head on. (eventually) plus, i know i can get married and run away. but my parents and her parents are important to us, as Christians, and just in general...

bond of flames said:
or..........just tell your parents the need to know stuff.dont go overboard.
you dont want to get mad and blurt out stuff.trust me.

well, i'll think of more help later.haha
i don't really understand what you're telling me to do here...but i hope to hear from you soon with some more advice.
kairigirl said:
To be honest, I'm not sure telling them would be the best thing. It sounds like you two are living with parents still, which is fine, until they decide to kick you out because of who you like. You're right, you should be able to marry who you want to. It is your life. Is there a reason to tell them at this moment what's going on?
once again, thanks for the advice. the financial stability is important. you're helping me remember that. but the kicking out thing. my parents won't really kick me out, nor will hers. we have to finish our education and stuff and get marreid. there is no such thing as 'moving out' until you are married. i know i'm gonna marry her, we just want her parents and my parents approval.

nothing is really going on. it's just been a few years of lying. i don't like it. i'm not sure if i'm doing the right thing. i want to know what other people think. it's tough, lying to your parents 24/7. where i'm going, who i'm going with. and things like that. i want them to know i'm in love! i want them to be able to spport me.
kairigirl said:
I'm not sure what else to say, as I've not been in this before. o-o Just kind of trying to use some logic or sense or something.
i don't expect you to have gone thru this ; ). it's not so average. then again, nothing is eh? anyway, you're making good sense. but this isn't as much about my parents. i'm sure they'll be fine with me and her. its her parents i'm worried about. they're really strict, religious, and anal abotu status. plus, they don't like my family, and they talk down to my g/f all the time. it depends on them when we tell my parents and hers.
The Froad said:
I've got it!!!! Get married secretly, kill her cousin, get deported, then both of you can commit suicide. It's perfect, we'll call it Ro-weru and Juichi. ROTFLMAO!!!
lol! not bad at all. sweet story, just no one around to write it for us!

thanks anyway Froad for the input!

bond of flames

you've got a soul, use it.
Website
www.facebook.com
well, i think i misunderstood ur post.
thought you said u parents wouldnt like it or something.

ummmm, is there anyway for you to summarize what u said?sorry, not to smart over here*points to self*

Stavvy

Legendary Member
Awards
His parents are fine with him getting married(at least can cope with it better than his girlfriend's. His girlfriend's family is uber strict with their religion and don't want her fraternizing with men. His brother is exactly what his community don't want. His family is the "black sheep" in his community. He's been seeing the girl in secret for quite some time. He doesn't know when and how much he should tell his family about his relationship.

Sorry if I offened you with anything I said. .

I think that once you feel financially stable, go for it. First, try to find some way to invite the girl over, maybe dinner or you tutoring her? Just use dinner/tutoring as a ploy for what you really want to talk about with your parents. Make sure that they understand. When that is acomplished, try to get your parents, you, and your girlfriend to have a 'conference' with her parents. Try to convince them of your love and whatnot. If you have to, bring the Bible(you said you were Christan, right?) into play.

That's all I got, hope it helps. Keep us informed, ok?

Faceless

bond of flames said:
is there anyway for you to summarize what u said?
i think stavros did a perfect summary XD props! couldn't have said it better myself (sadly enough)....
stavros said:
Sorry if I offened you with anything I said. .
you didn't. it's all true. i'm not hurt or anything so no worries *thumps up*
Stavros said:
That's all I got, hope it helps. Keep us informed, ok?
your advice is good...it's been most of what i've been thinking to do...do you think i should bring some religious figure (a priest) or something when we confront her parents?

and don't worry about being kept informed. nothing's happening anytime soon. i've just been reflecting on it a lot lately, so i wanted to know what other ppl thought.

Hikari713 said:
I'm just curious about something please don't take any offense if you've only been able to see her in your car are you sure you know her well enough and have sspent enough time with her to marry her?????
seriusly, ppl, i don't get offended easily. so no worries, k? XD
anywho, i forgot to mention! stupid me. since we've been going out, i've pretty much only seen her in my car. i mean, before we were less careful, we would hang out and stuff. we almost got caught a few times, so we stopped going out in public. before going out, i've known her for a few years. she went to my high school. we were best friends in high school. i'm absolutely sure i love her. and yes, enough to marry her.

Stavvy

Legendary Member
Awards
That's good.

If you feel comfortable with a priest(or whatever religious figure) then I'd say that would definitely help, but make sure that the person in informed, and on your side, so pick carefully. If it were me, my preacher would be perfect. . .but it's not, let's hope you know someone good.

Professor Ven

The Tin Man
Awards
You could, if there's a priest or..religious figure person, you know you can confide in to come with you to her parent's home with you, then that may tip the table in your favor.

Kairigirl is exactly true. Most parents look at what the guy's bringing to the table; Job, place to live, etc.

And if they say no, then ask them politely to state reasons why.

The world is filled with people who may be 'perfect' but noone is. There's no perfect Christian, no perfect airplane pilot, no perfect drive thru guy.

It just takes confidence to get through these kinds of things. Step up, it's your life. Do with it what you want.

Sometimes you've just got to ignore the politics. Take what you want. (And give nothing back.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back