• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Different types of Music and how it affects our views towards each other.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

CK the Fat

"OMFG!! That guy's lyrics talks about sex, drugs, women being ho's, etc. Lets ignore the plain fact that the music sounds good and crap on the song because of its 'message'".

My dislike for rap music actually doesn't come from the lyrics, but from the music itself. I prefer more melodic compositions, as compared to rap's rythemetic compositions. Black Eyed Peas, for example, I happen to find myself liking the songs and are sung, and not so much for the ones musically spoken.

The Big Lovin'

Everyone's Favorite Uncle Ji-Chan
My dislike for rap music actually doesn't come from the lyrics, but from the music itself. I prefer more melodic compositions, as compared to rap's rythemetic compositions. Black Eyed Peas, for example, I happen to find myself liking the songs and are sung, and not so much for the ones musically spoken.

Completely understandable. The first ligit reason I have seen on this site. I don't dislike genres, but songs. I don't follow a band/group/artist just for having a few good songs. It dosn't limit me from dwelling into a new sound within a genre. Fanboys disgust me for this reason. They won't step out from thier average. I prefer music that has a dramatic feeling, a heavy bass & kick, and a smooth acoutic guitar. I'm not sure what the actuall genre is, but I call it "New Spanish". It has a classic spanish/latin feel to it with the guitar but with a smashing bass & kick. But then again, my taste varies from mood to mood.

jazz16

I mostly like Rap and R&B,but i do try to listion to listion to that other. But i do hang out with people that think people that listion to rock music are... well i wont say. But then there some spanish kids i hang with that don't all that rap. So yeah people do catagorize people as to what kind of music they listion to. And just cause some people who are crips or what ever make a hot rap song dont mean you shouldn't listion to it just of it.

KrytenKoro

Bronze Member
But why would a school board think like that? Aren't they supposed to take care of the kids, not find nit-picky reasons to hate them? Because if music is what comes down to deciding what makes a person, I reserve the right to commit suicide after society makes that new low...and we're already:

Because it's their job to protect the students while under their care, so they look out for warning signs.

As for music's message: certain people don't like having "kill the virgin" shouted at them while they listen to music, no matter how melodious it is. And unless the singer is incompetent, the message is a huge part of the song's purpose.

Music is supposed to be a higher-form of communication. Music/Silence are infinitely preferrable to random noise, and a song with a clashing message reduces itself to noise.

Though, as for why I don't like rap - because I enjoy melody and emotion in music, which rap, on the whole, lacks. Besides the lyrics, which I often find hollow, their seems to be no feeling within the song. Some rap songs are good, they have emotion behind them, but on the whole, the rap I have heard is mere noise.

Devious

Deltron 3030 is the only rap group I listen to because the music has a melody. Not just noise with people saying "Bang the ho's" or something similar. Other than that my rap list is very limited.

I try to listen to different music whenver possible depending on my mood. Of course recently it's been mostly Punk because of my liking of it in general.

sailor_sierra

I used to be very closed-minded about music, but I suppose I matured a bit in a musical sense when I turned 13. Just from observing people at my school, I can tell quite a bit. It's amazing how if a song comes on that is catchy, and maybe a hit, a certain group of people will go, "No way!" and another will go, "Heck yeah!" But the fact is, if you close yourself to all music except, for example, rap, you may not fin a genre or song you like better. Personally, I like anything, as long as it's a good song. (Although I tend to not like heavy rock or metal) I also appreciate good lyrics. Many artists do not write their own lyrics, or make the beats. But there are some times when you just have to forget the artist, and just listen to the song as a cohesive whole. But every now and then you find a song that makes you think, 'Brilliant! Sheer genius!' and gives you a special feeling. Music should be something that fills a small hole, albeit a temporary one, and completes yourself for just one moment. I can also not believe the stereotypes that are placed upon so many students and teenagers these days, based on music. I have heard some teachers at my school talking about "those hoods", referring to the people that listen to rap. Do you not also think that musical discrimination can be an 'excuse' for racism? In a world where everyone's opinion is different, why must we condemn a whole genre, then say it's not good music. That it's a fact that it's terrible, and not their own opinion that everyone is entitled to?

Yeah, I'm bored. And the people on here seem intelligent. :thumbsup:

The Big Lovin'

Everyone's Favorite Uncle Ji-Chan
I used to be very closed-minded about music, but I suppose I matured a bit in a musical sense when I turned 13. Just from observing people at my school, I can tell quite a bit. It's amazing how if a song comes on that is catchy, and maybe a hit, a certain group of people will go, "No way!" and another will go, "Heck yeah!" But the fact is, if you close yourself to all music except, for example, rap, you may not fin a genre or song you like better. Personally, I like anything, as long as it's a good song. (Although I tend to not like heavy rock or metal) I also appreciate good lyrics. Many artists do not write their own lyrics, or make the beats. But there are some times when you just have to forget the artist, and just listen to the song as a cohesive whole. But every now and then you find a song that makes you think, 'Brilliant! Sheer genius!' and gives you a special feeling. Music should be something that fills a small hole, albeit a temporary one, and completes yourself for just one moment. I can also not believe the stereotypes that are placed upon so many students and teenagers these days, based on music. I have heard some teachers at my school talking about "those hoods", referring to the people that listen to rap. Do you not also think that musical discrimination can be an 'excuse' for racism? In a world where everyone's opinion is different, why must we condemn a whole genre, then say it's not good music. That it's a fact that it's terrible, and not their own opinion that everyone is entitled to?

Yeah, I'm bored. And the people on here seem intelligent. :thumbsup:

...Marry me? Please marry me? I will worship the ground you walk on.

KrytenKoro

Bronze Member
Do you not also think that musical discrimination can be an 'excuse' for racism?
No? Since we can control what we want to listen to?

(Although I tend to not like heavy rock or metal)
Yay contradictions!

I personally think a song is worthwhile if it is creative, emotional (upliftng or ironic), and not made by an idiot (someone who claims that Bush is trying to kill us all or other idiotic conspiracy theories).

Eikre

W.S.N.B.M./O.N.B.P.
Senior Leader's Course, Cold Lake Air Base, Albert
Just to clarify, shouldn't people be open to each other, and not discriminate against each other because they listen to a different beat than somebody else. Perhaps we should discriminate on morals instead. How about we actually beat down on the people who deserve the punishment. You don't see many of those plastic and silicon loaded whores at your school being treated poorly, they get good attention....well, at least they do over here in North Dundas.

KrytenKoro

Bronze Member
plastic and silicon loaded whores
I thought plastic and silicon were good? One brought a new age of food storing, lightweight architecture, etc, the other allowed small, home computers to be made.

By the way, you mean silicone. In any case, the only reason to look down on them is if they are actual whores. And in that case, most people do, unless they're horny.

sailor_sierra

No? Since we can control what we want to listen to?

Yay contradictions!

I personally think a song is worthwhile if it is creative, emotional (upliftng or ironic), and not made by an idiot (someone who claims that Bush is trying to kill us all or other idiotic conspiracy theories).

I meant that people have a perceived reason to not like black people by saying that they're ghetto and listen to nothing but rap.
Contradictions? I appreciate good hard rock songs, and I like some, but it's harder for me to listen to them over and over again, due to my natural music preference. I don't mean that it's not good music.

T

Tyler Durden

Wow, before this thread I never realized that cliques were divided by music.

OH WAIT, because they aren't!!!

One's personal tastes, views, and opinions determine what music they listen to. So what is wrong with being with people who share those views and opinions?

I for one, like all kinds of music (points to sig for evidence). I even like one country song (You'll Think of Me). That doesn't put a barrier between me and my friends, who mostly like rock and rap, while I'm over here listening to punk or that one country song.

And I don't think music should be judged like that. Example- 'Get Stoned' by Hinder. I like his voice, I like the music, and yet that school board you mentioned would say I'm a stoner.

Is that fair? No.

People shouldn't be judged for the music they like.

That's stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back