• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Help/Support ► Fear

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coffee Lover

Bronze Member
Awards
Last night I had a dream. I usually don't have dreams, but when I do, I dream of one thing, and that thing is being attacked by zombies. But they're never the regular zombies that rise from the grave. Basically they are humans infected, turned into a monster by a virus. I was not only afraid of the zombies but afraid of being infected by the virus. I woke up, sweating, my heart was beating so fast that my chest hurt. In my dream, me and my family are sitting in the living when all the sudden a zombie bursts through the door. My father fights him off but is bitten in the process. Another zombie, a tall woman, crashes through the window and rushes straight toward me. I woke up before she reached me. I couldn't go back to sleep. I lay awake, tensing up at every little sound.

Ever since I was little, I've had a fear of those type of zombies. It all started when I was six years old. My brother brought home a new game called Resident Evil. There was a warning on it and all, but I was used to gore and didn't expect it to be something that would terrify me. I was so wrong. If you are familiar or have played the Resident Evil games, then you probably already know that the zombies don't show up at the very beginning of the game. The part where they were running to the house didn't scare me at all, though the music was effecting me a little bit. It wasn't til the scene where a zombie looks up with blood all over his face I became frightened. I remember running out of his room crying. He paused the game and asked what was wrong. I told him how it scared me. Of course he told me it wasn't real. I knew that, but some reason I was still scared.

I couldn't sleep for a few nights without a night light or someone in the next room. After that, I made sure I never played the game and I always left the room when my brother started playing Resident Evil. Sometimes just hearing the music was enough to scare me. I eventually forgot all about it and steered clear when my brother got Resident Evil 2, Nemeisis, and when he got Veronica I was able to watch without having nightmares. For a few years I didn't have any nightmares until I watched a movie called "Twenty Eight Days Later". I didn't have any idea what it was about at first, I had just heard it was a good movie, and so we rented it. I had a nightmare that night, but the next night I was fine. Then one day I was watching tv when I saw a preview of "Dawn of the Dead". I didn't have a nightmare but I didn't sleep much that night.

I know there is no such virus that can turn people into zombies that eat and infect other humans, but I'm still afraid. I'm tired of fearing something I know isn't real. Why am I afraid of something I know isn't real? How can I get over this fear?

TheMuffinMan

Armchair Administrator
Meh, I see that as one of the things you just have to deal with, cause nothing will ever really make it go away or surpress it indefinately.

I mean, I've been afraid of those come-out-of-the-mirror monsters since I was little, like Bloody Mary and such, and I'm still pretty much afraid of the dark to this day because of it, but really the fear only comes once and awhile and most of the time I can just forget about it

One thing you can do is if you're afraid, is think of something that distracts you so that you don't think about what you're afraid of, because just thinking about what you're fearing will just lead to mor ethoughts aobut it and paranoia, if you can distract yourself and jsut not think about it then there will be less to provoke fear

SuperEclipse

~Ichiban~
Awards
Website
www.spirasdestiny.net
I have the same problem with demons etc. I know for a fact there not real, but when I just lay there in bed and get so scared. When I lay in bed and think about them.. I just leave the light on all night. Thanks to Church and the bible and what i was told..

I know they arn't real but for some reason, I get so scared. No clue how to get rid the fear. But its good to fear stuff sometimes I think..

TheMuffinMan

Armchair Administrator
Though it probably sounds really foolish, what I used to do was hum the Family Guy theme song to myself, since that would lead me to think about the show and all the funny and retarded things on it, it distracts me from thinking about whatever scares me, so then all I need to do is think about that until I forget about what it I was afraid of and just go to sleep

The Enigmatic Man

The Power Cosmic Master
Though it probably sounds really foolish, what I used to do was hum the Family Guy theme song to myself, since that would lead me to think about the show and all the funny and retarded things on it, it distracts me from thinking about whatever scares me, so then all I need to do is think about that until I forget about what it I was afraid of and just go to sleep

This is exactly what I used to do. Before when I first saw Darkness Falls, it made me fear what ever could be lurking in the shadows waiting for you to peek. One night in my old room before I moved into my upstairs apartment, I had a bean bag chair on the floor and I would always throw my bookbag on it after school. That night the book bag was on the edge of the bean bag chair because of the way i was sitting on it so as I'm laying down thinking of the movie and if someone was moving closer that they would probably if not careful hit over the bookbag and suddenly my bookbag fell so of course I was scared. Instead of looking I began thinking of any funny things I could remember from either school or television then I was soon asleep. Later on when I felt like something was watching me at night I just lifted my covers and got up thinking "What's the worse that it could be? I know it's all fake and even if it's a murder who is going to kill me I know I have my religion and belief in God."

Not too long ago I had a dream I was waving good bye to my parents who were leaving somewhere at around midnight. My baywindow blinds were wide open and I felt exposed that I was alone home. Now thinking of one time when I was home alone and I heard a bang on the door, I heard bangs coming from my basement door, suddenly bangs from the front door. Instead of being afraid I felt why hold back? At that time I was a serious Axel fan so some how I drew his chakrams and fought two shadowy looking guys and it actually made it more entertaining then fearful.

Most recently I was watching a Grudge 2 commercial and from The Grudge I remember the little boy who makes the cat meow sound. That night like two seconds after watching that commercial I had moved my rolling office type chair and it was turned so in the dark it looked like a figure. Also my sister's annoying cat was meowing by my bedroom door so at first it would seem like the little boy meowing and I was scared for a second but knew logically it was just my chair and my sister's cat. It really is all in your head it's just think logic which is kind of hard seeing as it is a dream and anything can happen. You can laugh it off or in your nightmare I should say imagine your self fighting the zombies and kicking there a$s.

Cid Highwind

The Captain
this reminds me when my mom took me to see the redone version of the exorcist when i was in third grade. i was so terrified that i couldn't fall asleep for a month and if the exorcist theme song ever came into my head, i would be frightened. i eventually came over it. the best thing to do is try not think about it, become preoccupied with something else. hell, i think its better to worry about a test the next day than to be afraid of something and you can't get to sleep. i had a couple of techniques that helped me get over it. perhaps listen to your favorite music on a cd or mp3 player. one thing i did, was i watched tv with my headphones into the tv so i could fall asleep watching a movie or something. as i grew older, i felt more brave and falling asleep has been easier. ever since i started high school, ive been weightlifting, so now im at the point where i feel like i can stand up to any fear i have. i haven't been afraid of really anything since i started high school. im not sure how old you are grim reaper, but im sure you will grow out of this fear and it won't bother you in the future.

*~Twilight~*

have you ever seen Darkness Falls? Well, if you haven't it's about the tooth fairy killing you if you look at her when she comes to get your tooth. You had to stay in the light to avoid her because she was in a fire and was EXTREMELY sensitive.

Well, the night after I watched it, I was practically hugging my nightlight. Luckily for me the lights went out b/c of a HUGE storm. My mom came up to my room and I was crying so hard. Guess what she did?

She. LAUGHED.

Yes, everyone loves there mom when she points and laughs at them when the tooth fairy is about to get them. She went downstairs, got the littlest candle she could find, and put it on the OTHER side of the room. She said she was going to bed and if you closed your eyes she won't get you.

Yeap. My mom freaked me out saying that b.c I thought she'd say 'It isn't real, Casey.' So then, I REALLY was freaked.

I still think about that every now and then. Let's say I'll NEVER sleep without my nightlight. It's like Riku said. 'We never know who's lurking in the dark.'

Enigmacy

[Following my Path]
Website
s4.invisionfree.com

That sounds like a good idea. =D I usually think about how funny and goofy Naruto is.:thumbup:

Et Cetera

Bronze Member
I think the most frighteneing thing about nightmares is the possiblity for anything to happen. The subconscious mind for some reason doesn't always seem to keep in check with the reality of the world.Anything that isn't real, can be as real as it wants during dreams.
When I fell scared or nervous, I usually soothe my fear with music,(CD,ipod,etc.), televsion or just thinking rationally.
Kind of like Enigmatic Man, whenever I can't sleep I usually make a frightening(yet unreal) situation enjoyable by busting out my keyblade.
Hope this helps,

Edit:100th post!

Chris

I share this account w/ my mom lmao
Awards
I have a similar problem, I hope you don't mind if I bring it to the attention of this topic, as to not be considered, well, hijacking.

At night...I can't sleep. I stay up looking at the walls, staring into the dark, for hours. I always assume there is something watching me, whether it be a petty fake story used to scare people (Freddy, Jason, Chucky, etc.) or a real thing like a serial killer. I check everything, like the closet, almost like I have OCD. It is pathedic. I always think something is going to kill me. My brother sleeps in the room with me; he is no help because he passes out immediately...He can just do that. I try to close my eyes, but then I can't see what is around me so I am afraid some entity is approaching me, trying to kill me. It sounds idiotic, and I would try to conquer it by just falling asleep, but I can not. It is nothing in particular, like certain movie, but still...I have a great phobia of being murdered, along with the combination of dark and silence. I tried TMM's Family Guy method, but it is almost as if my mind WANTS me to think about it. I don't understand it at all, I try not to think about it, and half of my mind WANTS me to. It is trying to scare me. Does anyone have advice on conquering these strange fears that seem a bit too real?

Anna_Aurela

I used to be scared that my house would burn down (there was no reason for the fear; I just always had the fear when I was trying to fall asleep at night). Months went by, and I still really couldn't get it out of my mind. The way of humans is to think of destructive things. That's just what our sinful self wants to think about. Even when I tried to think of something good, I couldn't always rely on that a good thought will make everything better because I always knew that in the back of my mind, that horrifying thought would enter into my mind. Anyways, after a few months had passed and I was still having trouble with going to sleep, I talked to my mom about it. I live in a Christian household so her answer to me was from a Scripture from the Bible: "When I am afraid, I will trust in You." - Psalm 56:3. She also told me to meditate on Scripture at night when I was trying to go to sleep. After memorizing that verse and meditating on it at night when I was scared, I had so much more peace in my heart, and the horrible feeling and thought inside me soon began to lessen and lessen.

Because of the evil man has done on the earth and due to Satan always wanting to put fear into our mind, there is only one way to overcome fear. And that is through the power we have in Christ. That is what I believe.

Tobuoi

Who's that girl?
Website
www.tobuoi.deviantart.com
Honestly, I don't think it has much to do with Christianity, but more a state of mind. See a hypnotherapist. I'm not even kidding. My dad's one and he deals with nightmares and insomnia patients all the time. It works. If you can control your mind, it can control you. I'd recommend trying what some of the other people said, too.

frisson

Silver Member
To me, dying is either a sweet release that then leads onto the afterlife, or the body simply shutting down, and all thought no longer existent. If that is the case, it certainly won't matter to you once you're dead.

When you die, your body breaks down into nutrients which are then fed on by plants, which are in turn eaten by herbivores or other humans, which are then eaten by canivorous animals, which are at times eaten by humans, who both eventually die, and then the cycle continues.

So... there's every chance that the matter you were once made out of could one day re-construct itself again into another sentient lifeform. ^_^

Hoped that help... I'm just weird like that?

Well, you can always leave each and every entrance into your house open and unlocked for one night while you sleep, (or at least try) and if nothing bad happens then you'll have no reason to be scared.

Oh, and zombies are real, they just ain't a virus. Zombies are the result of slaves who have been sent into a stasis of death through the use of various poisons, and are then brought back to life several days later through voodooists.

Not magic, but medicinal substances once more. This results in a zombie like state, more or less, and these zombie slaves are then used to carry out orders without complaint and rebellion.

So see? That's where the whole concept was derived from, so the only thing you could worry about was one of the slave drivers actually ordering a zombie to kill you. ^_^

:Saixy:

+SAIX PWNS. Period.+
Funnily for you, I used to be scared of the grim reaper in the sims 1 when I was really little XD I was scared for the next few years, but after that, I think i grew out of it.

Im not exactly sure, but I think i grew out of it because another greater fear started [which were having continuous nightmares of a pathetic shadow which I longed to chase and kill ... not entirely sure why I was scared of that though XD]

Or, you think of funny things to counter it...which usually works for me. Or, facing it with something brave...although that isn't the easiest counter.

frisson

Silver Member
Im not exactly sure, but I think i grew out of it because another greater fear started [which were having continuous nightmares of a pathetic shadow which I longed to chase and kill ... not entirely sure why I was scared of that though XD]
Have you read Earthsea, by any chance? The main character spends the second half of first book chasing after his shadow, or more or less, his darkness, trying to destroy it.

:Saixy:

+SAIX PWNS. Period.+
Have you read Earthsea, by any chance? The main character spends the second half of first book chasing after his shadow, or more or less, his darkness, trying to destroy it.
No I havent...hmm seems interesting, thanks, Ill look into that book =P

Although the odd thing is that I chase the shadow in memories. Like places Ive been in before...and it ruins everything XD

EDIT: The author's first name is Ursula XD

Last edited:

frisson

Silver Member
lol yeah, I bought the book over in Japan. I didn't know whether the book had originally been written in english or not, but judging from the name. =P

Still, a movie based on the book aired on Australian television the other day, but I forgot to watch it... >.>

Athletics Legend

*The Future Athlete*
I used to be afraid of the dark and i guess everyone was at some stage of there life......yeah..before you go to sleep, i suggest that you listen to music or think of happy things..then you wont dream of zombies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back