• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Help/Support ► I honestly didn't want to post this...

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lycanthrope

Gold Member
Awards
Well, I really don't want to get too in detail with this, but, the other day, I got a phone. It was a good friend of mine. He was in hysterics. It took him about 5 minutes to spit out what he was trying to say.

Finally, his crying cleared out, and he said, "Eddie, I'm at the doctors office, and, well... my dad has kidney canceer."

I honestly didn't know what to say. I still don't know what to say.

Really, the thing is, I have absolutely NO IDEA how to comfort him, which makes me feel like crap, and a jerk. I mean, I've known the kid for years, and I can't do anything to help out, emotionally or physically.

Help, please?

Ultima-Sora

Encourage him, make him BELIEVE his dad is going to be OKAY. Why don't you hangout with him, ya'know, to ease his mind, and spirit, and to help him not think about his dad so much?

Lycanthrope

Gold Member
Awards
Ultima, I DO hang out with the kid alot, he's actually about 2 blocks. He was over at my house for a few hours earlier, but he was just moping the whole time.

kairigirl

Bang!
Awards
Website
kemine.deviantart.com
Encourage him, make him BELIEVE his dad is going to be OKAY. Why don't you hangout with him, ya'know, to ease his mind, and spirit, and to help him not think about his dad so much?

Noooooooo. No no no no no. x-x You don't want to make someone believe their dad is okay when he really isn't. What happens when it all goes bad? There is no cure for cancer, the kid isn't 5, and even if he were 5, you still wouldn't want to say "oh, it's okay" just to avoid telling the child what just happened to his dad who is now underround. x-x

Okay.

One, don't tell him you know what he's going through. I doubt you do unless one of your parents has/had/died of kidney cancer. By saying that, all you'll do is make him angry at you, you'll be trying too hard and he'll know it.

Two, make sure you're there for him. Sometimes, all a person needs at this kind of time is an ear that'll listen. Just being there would help, you most likely don't need to come prepared to reply or preach or to play games or anything. Sometimes, all a person needs is someone else there with them, someone they trust and know. To be honest, whenever I'm feeling miserable about something I can't do anything about, I just really want to sit at a friend's house or at my house with them on the phone or on AIM, knowing that there, I've got people who love me on the other side of the line, watching a conversation, sitting on the couch by me. Some people just don't need a person talking to them, they just need company.

Which brings me to three. This where you come in, best friend right? He's going to turn to you. Go with him to visit his dad. You probably know him. See about setting up times when he and his dad can go out fishing or something. Cancer eh...takes a while. I don't think he'll be in the hospital all the time. Tell your friend to spend time with his dad. This is where you get to be selfless and tell him "hey, go see a movie with your dad tonight, we can go some other night." This is also where you're selfless and help your friend even though your favorite show comes on.

Dealing with this stuff, it's hard. I know people who have luekemia, I've dealt with deaths at my school, and my mom had an operation earlier this summer.

Beyond helping him, I'm liking the idea of fundraisers. See if it is possible to for him to get a kidney transplant. Usually, not, but hey, it can't hurt to ask. Is there? Raise money. Car washes, babysitting, pet sitting, bake sales, money is money. No kidney transplant? Can still help; fathers are usually the ones that bring in the income. Unless his mother does the working, I'm sure they may be low on money for a while, or longer, or at least till his mom finds a job. See about making dinners for the family, just so the mom can take a break. Do some jobs around the house for free, like mowing the lawn, but don't become the dad.

To be honest, cancer is a tricky situation. :/ A lot can happen or not happen with it.

Lycanthrope

Gold Member
Awards
Thanks a lot, KG and Cal.

The fund raiser idea is cool, but, first, I'll have to ask my friend.

It's easy for me to be there for him, since every other Saturday, his parents are going up to NYC to get him checked on. So, he has nothing to do during that period. So most likely, he'll just ride his bike to my house to hang out for a few hours.

But, being there for him is easy, I just need to feel more supportive. So, I basically don't have a clue of anything supportive.

Dragonstar1715

Website
dragonstar1715.deviantart.com
Well I had luekeamia too so I know what its like and a friend of mine had died from the same thing but I always supported him even after he was um well gone...

But the best thing to do is to support them anyway you can, even if it only means just listening to what they have to say and comforting him anything helps

Gullwing Yunie

perfectFIT//
Website
freckleyunie.deviantart.com
Just let your friend know that you're there for him whenever he needs someone to talk to, even if you don't know what to say, just listening can help.

And some random acts of kindness would probably lift his spirits too. Really, just do anything you can so that he knows that he has a friend he can rely on.

Lycanthrope

Gold Member
Awards
both kidneys or one??????

Just one, thank goodness.

I know, Yunie. A large group of my friends have been hanging out for the past few days, just staying at random people's houses. He was one of them. So, I've been hanging out with him from Sunday to basically today.

Deeman

out of order
Awards
Website
www.khinsider.com
So, I've been hanging out with him from Sunday to basically today.
Which is awesome. Keep doing what you're doing; being friendly and open to your friend's requests. Keep close to him--not uncomfortably close--but just enough so he knows that there are people there for him when he needs it. Now is when he'll need friendship most. Now is the time in his life where he'll rely on friends and family for support. Just keep being your casual self around him, it will only help him in recovering from his dad's shocking news.

<3

Davy Jones

I Believe In Harvey Dent
Website
crashkid77.deviantart.com
Like what has been said before, just try to comfort him. Ease his mind and don't go overboard with 'oh, your dad is going to be fine' and 'everything will turn out right' because cancer is unpredictable. My grandmother had breast cancer, but luckily she lived. A girl in my grade suddenly slipped out of school, and then we all found out it was due to leukemia, and she is still battling. So just keep him cautiously optimistic, I guess to say.

One question I have: Did the physicians catch the cancer early in development?

Lycanthrope

Gold Member
Awards
Davy Jones, I honestly am not sure what stage the cancer was in when it was discovered.

Dee, it is awesome. Me, him, and like10 other good friends of his, hanging out with him almost non-stop for a few days... Also, he might be coming over tomorrow or the next day.

Lycanthrope

Gold Member
Awards
I am not always a great friend, Dee. Unfortunately, when a friend ISN'T in a time of need, I can treat that said person like crap. Except this kid, though.

Deeman

out of order
Awards
Website
www.khinsider.com
Aww, that's okay, Frozen. We're all a bit mislead sometimes and tend to make mistakes. The important thing is that you stick by their side and help them out, whatever the circumstance. ^_^

Lycanthrope

Gold Member
Awards
Thanks a crap load, The Dee.

Anyway, I'm trying to get my friend into basketball and other sports, just so he has another outlet for anger and stuff. He is thankfully considering it. I mean, we play basketball and football goofing around, but he is amazing.

Deeman

out of order
Awards
Website
www.khinsider.com
That's awesome!

You're right. Playing a sport might be good to get his mind of the cancer and relieve him of his stress. Don't be pushy about it, though! ^_^

Lycanthrope

Gold Member
Awards
Too late, I was rather oushy yesterday when we were playing an intense 1 vs. 1 game... I won, but he putup a fight. I tried to push him into it after remembering how good I thought he was. He doesn't play sports often though. Video games are more his outlet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back