• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

If it Turns Out to Be Bad

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

mriku90

Awards
I was about to say I have no idea how the thread went from predicting criticisms given for potential backlash to discussing potential release years for KH4, but given more thought I see where it's relevance lies. Rather than banking for the game to be fixed/improved after launch (if incomplete,defective, etc.), a lot of fans would likely prefer to just place all their wishes on the next game. Especially if you were thouroughly dissapointed with the story (which is not likely to get improved through patches).

In my own opinion, I'd personally prefer the next game get made within 5-6 years at most if we're going straight into KH4. Mainly due to the fear that we'll very quickly lose our main voice cast if the next saga takes as long to complete as this one. Especially if KH4 alone takes over 6 years to make. I get the feeling that this thought was probably planted in Nomura's head too, and is likely at least one of the reasons he's now considering ending Sora's story here, despite what he said about keeping Sora earlier in KH3 's development (which was literal years ago now; perfectly demonstrating the problem). He's knows how important the image of his characters are to us, and it'd be a pretty big gamble to disturb that. Ultimately, the reason I don't want another installment taking so much time to develop boils down to me being completely disinterested in the series' future if we're to abandon our original cast. This also leads to why I'm deathly afraid of Sora getting far too much focus in this game, since there's a very real chance we might not properly see this cast of characters the way we know them after this finale. Naturally the thought of their last hoorah being spent having the spotlight snatched from them is gonna feel really underwhelming, and easily avoidable if the story is properly written tbh.

Pardon me with the bolded but what? As recent as TGS which I believe was the last time Nomura was interviewed he said this is only the end of the Xehanort saga and Sora will still be the main character going onward. Is that no longer accurate, I've heard no interview where Nomura said he's not going to continue on with Sora for the future of the franchise.

Twilight Lumiair

Awards
Pardon me with the bolded but what? As recent as TGS which I believe was the last time Nomura was interviewed he said this is only the end of the Xehanort saga and Sora will still be the main character going onward. Is that no longer accurate, I've heard no interview where Nomura said he's not going to continue on with Sora for the future of the franchise.

I never actually said it was no longer accurate, lol. I simply said he was pondering it (in an IGN interview if I remember; stating the series still has enough potential without him). That said, maybe I'm misremembering and it was the interviewer themselves. The article was rather strangley formated. Anyway, disregard the post if it turns out to be false. If anyone reading this could give clarification though, it'd be greatly appreciated since I'll be busy this evening.

U.N. Owen

Awards
Whatever you feel, you're entitled to.

Whatever you do, however, is a different story.

Don't turn into the Star Wars fandom post-The Last Jedi or post-Phantom Menace.

redcrown

Awards
I'm not expecting this game to be terrible at all, but if it ends up being downright excellent then I'll be pleasently surprised.

I'm already marking KH3 as the last of when I'll be as invested in this series, since I'm not even that interested in many aspects of the story already. And moreover it seems Nomura wants to focus even more on the plot of the Foretellers/UX in the next saga, which I've never even watched or played and have heard enough about to not particularly care for.

Minimally from KH3 what I want for it is to be enjoyable, have a dramatic plot, with at least a good enough completion or continuation of the SRK trio arc(s), since they were the original characters of the series from the beginning, and not to delve too much into the Foreteller/MoM/UX stuff, while I'm still expecting for it to maybe be hinted at in the secret ending to hook the fans who are into it for the next saga.

Seeing as how the next saga won't probably come out for a long while and it'll delve into the UX mythos and plot anyway, KH3 will probably be the last KH game I every play (unless side games about characters I'm actually invested in come out). So as long as it gives enough resolution to be able to leave the series, while also being enjoyable enough on it's own, I'll be happy.

Last edited:

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
If it turns out to be bad, then it turns out to be bad.

The Kingdom Hearts series has changed (for better or for worse) since 2005. What people long for has not been around for over a decade so if the game was to be disappointing then the writing has been on the wall for a while.

But at the same time, like Alpha Baymax said, entertainment is subjective. People do hate things that others love. For example, I find the joy in Final Fantasy XV. I loved getting out of the Regalia and exploring a path which lead me to a dungeon, all without prompts to do so. I loved climbing a volcano, which had a bunch of mystery and excitement all through it. I bonded with those boys on their trip, and when they suffered I suffered. But this is a video game that people absolutely despise. There is someone on ResetEra, who unfortunately named themselves after the great TV show The Office, who has spent the last two years trashing the game because they can't let it go (each time they make a new thread on it they promise it's the last time). They are valid to feel that way, and I'm valid to feel the way I do. And it'll be the same with Kingdom Hearts III.

Yes, there are a lot of signs to worry. Big Hero 6's cutscenes weren't complete until sometime between June - August this year, and English recording for those scenes weren't finished in time for the TGS trailer. Does this mean that world may be rushed and a bit of a mess? Sure, there's the chance and it may drag down people's enjoyment of it. Is there a chance that the world's are smaller than advertised? Of course, there has always been a chance for this to happen but back then all we could rely on was what we were being told.

People have put a lot of pressure onto Kingdom Heart's III and expect it to be the messiah of video games, something that is above every single other video game and it sends a message out to all other games that they can never compete with it. At the same time, there are people expecting a horribly short, streamlined game that meanders about with no real purpose. But none of us have touched the game at all so there's no real point to worrying about this sort of thing until we can actually go hands on.

I've said for months that people should check their expectations for the games. Bring yourselves down to a more grounded level and let's just try to enjoy what Osaka has provided. This is their first HD game for the Kingdom Hearts series, and probably for PS4 and Xbox One too. This is the first time in over a decade that the series has been pushing the boundaries of video gaming and including what other games have done for many years as well, so there's a learning curve that Osaka is probably learning from this game.

This is a game with ambitious properties. This game has such an increase in graphic fidelity, things on screen (NPCs, foliage, interactive environment), and action combat. I'm not saying that Osaka should get a free pass from the haters for this but they have put a lot of blood, sweat, and tears into this game and I hope we can all find parts of the game to enjoy.

If it's a bad game, then it's a bad game. The story could be in shambles. The combat could be a mess. The voice work could be the worst in the series. This is all possible, but because it's possible it doesn't make it so. No one on this forum has experienced the game but when we do, and if people don't like the game, I hope we can all be civilised with our reactions and responses because this has been a lot of firsts for the dev team and they can only go up from here.

And lastly. It's a fucking video game. It's not the end of the fucking world if it's a game you (general you) don't enjoy.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
If it's a bad game it's a bad game. I love the Kingdom Hearts franchise but I do have a life outside it. So I'm not even remotely worried.

That being said, Kingdom Hearts 3 would have to go out of it's way big time for me to not enjoy it, and so far every trailer has pumped me up for it. This is Kingdom Hearts, I know what I am getting in this game. I'm mainly playing the game to see Sora and the gang together in updated graphics, interacting with each other, having a fun adventure and to see all their corny and cheesy friendships. That's really all I need for a Kingdom Hearts game.

I also don't care if it gets bad reviews. I love lots of things in Kingdom Hearts that most of the fanbase frown on so I'm not effected. I just want to enjoy the ride with the characters I love.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back