• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Native american indians and Indians

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Athletics Legend

*The Future Athlete*
Well,

Some guy i know said that Native american indians are just the same as Indians ( Live in asia)..this is obviously not true but i cant find much backup on the net

could someone give there own reasons in this topic or some links to prove native americans are not indians....also how did native americans indians got called indians..

Thanks...any help would be great!!:thumbsup:

CK the Fat

Columbus was sailing for India.

He landed in the Carribean. Still thought he was in India. So he called the inhabitants "Indians." And he never found out he was wrong.

Katattack

Thank You Jonathan Larson
Recounting my exploits as an Anarchist. =D
Your friend shouldn't spout out stuff like that without researching or anything.

Native Americans were in the Americas when Columbus discovered them. He thought he was in India, and he called them Indians. This is wrong.

I'm Native American, and I'm pretty sure I have no Indian heritage. xP

Thelonepickle

I don't like bugs!
._. I'm Native American, and I've never been to India.

They're two completely different things. XD How hilarious of your friend to be that stupid. XD

56 US States, lol!!1

Eikre

W.S.N.B.M./O.N.B.P.
Senior Leader's Course, Cold Lake Air Base, Albert
Next, your friend will say that Inuits in Canada hunt Penguins for a living. Take her words with a grain of salt and say that If she doesn't know jack shit about what she's talking about, at least stay quiet. Ignorance is the bane of humanity, I swear.

CK the Fat

He's from Australia. I don't think the subject comes up all that often.

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
HOWEVER!

Native Americans and such belong to the same race (Mongoloid) that Indians do.

CK the Fat

"Native Americans and such belong to the same race (Mongoloid) that Indians do."

I'm curious to know, however, how far back you can trace a common ancester. In a sense all homo sapiens belong to the same race.

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
I'm not questioning that. All dogs are dogs, but that doesn't mean dog breeds don't exist, even if they share the same DNA.

Vayne Mechanics

Expert of Asian things
Awards
Same or not, the Indians were much more advanced than the Native North American Indians. It's true. That's why British considers India their "Crown and Jewel" and not Canada. Canada was extremely easy to colonize compared to India.

CK the Fat

"I'm not questioning that. All dogs are dogs, but that doesn't mean dog breeds don't exist, even if they share the same DNA."

I was just wondering at what point in human history a clear distinction between "indians" and native americans emerged.

Athletics Legend

*The Future Athlete*
Yeah, but his not my friend( just some kid from my state athletics squad)and yes, this type of topic will rarely pop up in australia..

In history, we dont care about american history(no offence), its mainly about Rome and greece and thing like the etruscans,aboriginals,Ancient egypt etc.

yeah well..thanks for all of your help!

Square Ninja

"special recipe"
Website
www.classicgaming.com
Columbus was sailing for India.

He landed in the Carribean. Still thought he was in India. So he called the inhabitants "Indians." And he never found out he was wrong.

I think it was quite clear to them that they did not land at India. If it wasn't immediately, then it became clear shortly thereafter. My guess is that the term "Indian" came from the people who heard/saw Columbus travel back and have never seen an actual Indian in their lives.

CK the Fat

"I think it was quite clear to them that they did not land at India. If it wasn't immediately, then it became clear shortly thereafter. My guess is that the term "Indian" came from the people who heard/saw Columbus travel back and have never seen an actual Indian in their lives."

Think of it this way, Columbus was sailing blindly to the west. He just assumed india was the closest one could go. What proof did he have that a New World even existed? By the best of his knowledge, he believed he'd hit India.

And unlike the common trade route to india sailing through the mediterranean and into the indian ocean, he did not have a definite port in mind. He didn't know if there was a port town even close to him, so he wasn't ever able to prove or disproove where exactly he had landed.

From every history lesson I've heard, it's been said that Columbus, to his death, thought he'd landed in India.

"Are you kidding me? He had so much else to go off of, specifically the geography and the kinds of crop they raised in these new lands."

Perhaps Columbus wasn't as bright as you believe. How many times had he been to india before? Was he a merchant? A cartogropher? He didn't land at any known port town, and it's highly possible that isolate tribes could bear very different cultures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back