• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Need help downgrading my wireless security.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wallflower

that's when we'll explode
I can't help but get a certain stalker vibe from y
Website
www.meluhns.deviantart.com
I recently got the Wireless Network Adapter for my Xbox 360, because I'm dying to play Xbox LIVE (I know, I've been living all this time without Xbox LIVE. What a travesty, amirite?).

However, to my chagrin, the Xbox 360 does not support WPA2 encryption, so essentially, I wanna downgrade my security from WPA2 to WPA encryption. I already have a confusing enough password on my wireless network as is, so I figure the drop in security won't be as harming as it would be with another password that's less secure.

Problem is, I have no idea how to go about downgrading the actual network security itself. How would I go about doing such a thing?

There's rep in it if you give me good advice... ^-^

Spic Steve

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL OLOLOLOLOL
Awards
lol i dunno.

But add me to Live when you get it.

Try Google. :)

Forever Atlas

The World Rests On Me
Awards
Why dont you just make it WEP? >.> doesnt xbox support that?

First off? what type of router do you have?

Chances are you could just go into your web's browser (IE, FireFox, Opera, etc) and type in 192.168.1.1 (usually what it is) and get into your router from there.

Then you just go to security w/e and change the type of security thats on the router. >.>

Wallflower

Website
Well, I'd rather have WPA, considering that WEP has all the protection of a broken condom.

And, as far as changing the security via 192.168.1.1, it doesn't work for me because the router isn't really connected to my computer. Rather, it's my dad's Router. (Or, at least, I don't think I can change it like that.)

As far as the router is concerned, I have a Belkin Wireless G Plus MIMO.

Does that help at all?

Petie

Awards
Website
www.spriters-resource.com
If you're receiving an IP address from the router, you can access it by typing the router's IP into your browser. To confirm your router's IP, open up the command prompt (Start > Run > cmd), type ipconfig, and press enter. Your router's IP address is listed next to Default Gateway.

As far as WEP providing "all the protection of a broken condom," while you're technically correct in terms of it being easy to crack, do you really have anything to hide? Anyone who needs to steal an internet connection won't be able to crack the code and anyone who can likely doesn't need to anyway. I'm just mentioning this as an option because WEP is far more compatible with non-computer devices than other security configurations. If WPA works though, by all means use it.

Once logged into your router, you should be able to just click on security on the left (make sure you disable Wi-Fi Protected Setup first) and set it for WPA. Let me know if you need any more information.

Wallflower

Website
Petie, your advice worked perfectly. I was able to log into the router, and change the security. I'm gonna check and see if my Xbox hooks up to it now.

As far as actually getting into the router to change the security, which was my main problem, you helped me out big-time. Major rep coming your way, 'K?

Oh, by the way, closed. I already had my problem solved, so I see no reason to keep it open. Thanks for your help, guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back